Rhythm Authors - Song Pricing Notification

RhythmAuthorsRhythmAuthors Unsigned
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
We've published many tracks at the lowest price point of 80 MSP ($0.99) shortly after RBN's launch. Several of the songs we strongly felt were worth $2, but wanted to draw the most attention to quality content at a low cost to help kick RBN off to a strong start. Now that that's happened and Rock Band 3 is around the corner, some of our clients and us would like to see these songs get what they deserve.

Rather than surprising the community with no notice, we're announcing this change two weeks in advance to give plenty of time for everyone here to check out our previews, try the demos, and take advantage of the current prices if you wish.

On August 31, 2010, the following songs will be raised from 80 MSP ($0.99) to 160 MSP ($1.99):

[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Africa" by Quartered
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Death Quota for Purification" by The Myriad Burial
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "In Memory" by Excruciating Thoughts
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Life Unworthy of Life" by Warpath
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Packet Flier" by Terrorhorse
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Parhelia" by Heaven Ablaze
[ Preview Video | Try | Buy ] - "Rip'er" by Lead the Dead

Enjoy the bargain while it lasts!

Comments

• Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited August 2010
    Does the price change mean that you'll be pulling them off of the store and reuploading them with the new price, or can you change the price without having to remove them?

I'm obviously not very familiar with the micromanaging of tracks uploaded to the RBN store, but it'd stink having to rebuy those songs to play them online. :p
  • JCirriJCirri Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    RBN Creators were recently given the ability to update pricing for published tracks without having to resubmit them.

So no worries about having to re-purchase the songs or having incompatible versions for online play. If that were the case we wouldn't make any changes. :)
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited August 2010
    JCirri;3943089 said:
    RBN Creators were recently given the ability to update pricing for published tracks without having to resubmit them.

So no worries about having to re-purchase the songs or having incompatible versions for online play. If that were the case we wouldn't make any changes. :)
    Ah, very cool then. Thanks for clearing that up. :D
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited August 2010
    "Africa" by Quartered is a great song... check it out before the price goes up...

also, thanks for being honest and letting us know.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    mmm, i´ve got all the songs that i like from that setlist, but great news anywas.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited August 2010
    I understand wanting to get the due price for the tracks, but I do have to question whether raising the price of tracks that have been out for a while anyways will really accomplish this. Seems to me this would cripple the sales for the tracks so much that it would make the additional revenue per track not worth it.
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    JoshVanHalen87;3943586 said:
    mmm, i´ve got all the songs that i like from that setlist, but great news anywas.
    How is this great news? At least from our perspective, lol.

I suppose a lot of these deserve the price update - Death Quota (LONG) and Quartered (LONG) certainly do.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    You know, it makes a lot more sense saleswise to launch at $2 and drop to $1
  • Ralphy2009Ralphy2009 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    This basically sounds like a way to get some last ditch sales for that group of songs now that they're slowing across the board. The strategy will work very well for the next couple weeks, I'm sure, but kingtonyx was right in that sales will be crippled after the price raise. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see price reductions in the future for all these tracks back down to $1.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Good thing I already own all of these songs! :D

Quick question: does this mean any future songs from these artists will be starting at $2?
  • reddragon1991reddragon1991 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for this thread. By watching the videos I now at least realised that Africa is a realy good song besides the first minute which is just boring on guitar. But yeah I'm not to interested in the other songs, because I just can't stand this way of "singing" or throwing-up or whatever it is.
  • SteverXiiiSteverXiii Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Oh great, not like songs are expensive enough already.
  • powertpowert Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944486 said:
    I hope you're not trying to say that $1 is too expensive. Considering how much time and effort the bands put into making the song, as well the work it takes to chart it, I think $2 is a bargain, and I don't think $3 is asking for too much either.
    edited August 2010
    Nah not saying 80 points is too expensive.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944486 said:
    $1.29 for a song on i-Tunes, no playable charts and mediocre quality (unless they've changed the 128kbps rate).

Versus a $1 song that you can listen to, play a guitar, bass, and drum chart and can sing along to. Yeah, definitely expensive.
    edited August 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3944585 said:

Versus a $1 song that you can listen to, play a guitar, bass, and drum chart and can sing along to. Yeah, definitely expensive.
    It all adds up. Say if I buy 20 1 buck songs then. I get about 15 minutes of play out of each what does that add up to? 20 dollars for 5 hours of fun? For that price I could buy Fallout 3 and get 100 hours +. I have no problem with paying 1 dollar for a song but it becomes extremely expensive when theres so many songs to get.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944666 said:
    It all adds up. Say if I buy 20 1 buck songs then. I get about 15 minutes of play out of each what does that add up to? 20 dollars for 5 hours of fun? For that price I could buy Fallout 3 and get 100 hours +. I have no problem with paying 1 dollar for a song but it becomes extremely expensive when theres so many songs to get.
    Only I'm comparing it to music, not other video games.
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944666 said:
    For that price I could buy Fallout 3 and get 100 hours +.
    There might be 100+ hours of gameplay, but it still comes out to about 5 hours of actual fun. ;)
    edited August 2010
    Ralphy2009;3944687 said:
    There might be 100+ hours of gameplay, but it still comes out to about 5 hours of actual fun. ;)
    Nope, ive got well over 150+ hours of fun on that game. Beaten it 4 times already and still so much left to do.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944666 said:
    Oh ok, here I am thinking songs DON'T disappear after you play them once.
  • overdriveguitarmanoverdriveguitarman The Walrus
    edited August 2010
    I have played the Rise Against Pack 01 so much I have gotten enough value for all of my 500 songs :p
    edited August 2010
    SteverXiii;3944706 said:
    Nope, ive got well over 150+ hours of fun on that game. Beaten it 4 times already and still so much left to do.
    Yeah, that was my point. The amount of hours of fun and quality of fun vary greatly from person to person.

A very young boy can buy a paddle with a ball attached to it for a dollar and be mildly entertained for a hundred hours. A teenager can spend $50 to spend a cumulative time of thirty minutes riding rollercoasters.

If $1 is such a huge investment for you, then maybe you should stick to only buying songs you love. Or you could stick to action RPGs, where you're personally guaranteed hundreds of hours of fun. By your logic, you shouldn't really be playing anything other than those epic adventure games if you want to maximize your hours of fun vs. price relationship.

To many others, one dollar for some fun with a song they enjoy is not a big deal, and they don't find such "hours of fun per dollar" comparisons meaningful at all. Rhythm games are a unique experience, and you just can't get that same type of fun by playing Fallout 3, no matter how many hours you sink into it.
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Nathaniel607;3943953 said:
    How is this great news? At least from our perspective, lol.

I suppose a lot of these deserve the price update - Death Quota (LONG) and Quartered (LONG) certainly do.

for the artist perspective at least lol, just sayin´