Beatles Soundtrack In 2001 Movie

CheesesCrustCheesesCrust Banned
edited August 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
;Hello. I saw a movie last night called "I Am Sam". It is a PHENOMINAL movie. Easily one of my favorites. The reason I am mentioning it, it because the sondtrack is made up ENTIRELY of Beatles songs. They are covers (Much like Across The Universe, only they are played by legit acts ((Pearl Jam, etc.)) instead of teens) but they are still good. If you dont like covers, check it out anyway. Its a heartfelt, emotional movie that will easily be anyones fave. Check it out, its on YouTube.

;)

Comments

• sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    I came into this thread expecting someone who synced The White Album with 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am disappointed.
  • CheesesCrustCheesesCrust Banned
    edited August 2010
    sorry if you are "dissapoint", but you should still check itout. its a great movie.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    CheesesCrust;3945520 said:
    sorry if you are "dissapoint", but you should still check itout. its a great movie.
    The disappointment was a bit of an exaggeration on my part. Confused was probably more of my emotion.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited August 2010
    I agree. I Am Sam is one of my favorite movies, and it's got an awesome soundtrack to boot. Besides, my name is in the title. ;)
  • YesguyYesguy Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    OMG My name is Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :O
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    That movie is really sad.
  • BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Just one name:

HARPER.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Now I wanna see it O:
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    it is a sad movie. That was a great job by Dakota Fanning though. She was proving how good a little actress she was even in childhood.

And I don't really like the wallflowers version of "Im Looking Through You". It just doesn' t have the energy of the original. There are a few good covers though. I just remember that not being one of them. I think Sarah McLaughlin (not sure on spelling) does a really great cover of Blackbird on that soundtrack though. I know she does Blackbird, but don't remember if it was in that movie or not. If it isn't, it should be checked out. I know Sean Penn couldn't pry the rights to the original beatles songs, so he had other artists record them. I read when it came out that he originally shot the movie using the original beatles songs. When they couldn't get the rights, he found artists who would cover the songs, but THEY HAD TO RECORD THEM AT THE SAME BEAT/.STYLE/TEMPO, so as not to mess up the timing of the movie. So I appreciate that the artists DIDN'T Get there own take on the songs. That way there weren't these crazy, awful sounding versions of beatles songs. Even though there were still some bad sounding songs.

Also, cannot remember, but there was a good version of Golden Slumbers.......I think it was Ben Folds Five who did it.
  • blmeanieblmeanie Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    three favs from the soundtrack:

Two of us- Aimee Mann
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - Eddie Vedder
    Nowhere Man - Paul Westerberg
    edited August 2010
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - Eddie Vedder

^^^^^^^^^this!
  • Yer Blues JohnYer Blues John Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Great movie but terrible soundtrack. I don't like Beatles' covers, which is why Across the Universe was such a bad movie. Oh, and the fact that the story was god awful. They just invented scenes and characters to insert songs and those scenes were bad and did not pertain to the story at all.
    edited August 2010
    really, the story was awful ? a loving father trying to get his little girl back, because the court system and society sees him as an unfit parent is a terrible story ?

/no soul

EDIT: Sorry read your post wrong.
    edited August 2010
    Yer Blues John;3949637 said:
    Great movie but terrible soundtrack. I don't like Beatles' covers, which is why Across the Universe was such a bad movie. Oh, and the fact that the story was god awful. They just invented scenes and characters to insert songs and those scenes were bad and did not pertain to the story at all.
    I, for one, don't see it like that at all. I think the story was great. Its the first movie in a while to actually make me cry. Next to Pulp Fiction, this is one of the greatest movies in the history of cinema.
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited August 2010
    TheRollingBones;3945652 said:
    I agree. I Am Sam is one of my favorite movies, and it's got an awesome soundtrack to boot. Besides, my name is in the title. ;)
    Your name is Iam?

Good cat food, by the way.

:)
  • AMac2002AMac2002 Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    fatalfiend37;3949658 said:
    really, the story was awful ? a loving father trying to get his little girl back, because the court system and society sees him as an unfit parent is a terrible story ?

/no soul
    I think he meant across the universe.
    edited August 2010
    fatalfiend37;3949658 said:

/no soul
    I think he was talking about Across The Universe, not I Am Sam. Just my take. And he is right. Across The Universe is AWFUL. Especially when Bono gets involved.

"TAKE IT BACK, SAY I'M NOT NUMBER 2!!"
    edited August 2010
    Oh my bad Yer Blues.
    edited August 2010
    CheesesCrust;3949856 said:
    I, for one, don't see it like that at all. I think the story was great. Its the first movie in a while to actually make me cry. Next to Pulp Fiction, this is one of the greatest movies in the history of cinema.
    Cheeses,

Didn't you just see this movie last night? Or two nights ago? And it to you is already "ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA"? I think that is a mighty big step. I disagree with both of your movie choices as being "GREATEST MOVIES IN HISTORY OF CINEMA". But they are good movies. Just not two of the best I've ever seen. Infact, I think there may even be better Tarantino movies than Pulp Fiction. I know at least 1, questionably 2. And I know there is a HUGE CULT FOLLOWING for a third movie of his. None being Kill Bill.
    edited August 2010
    Dozer3677;3951392 said:
    Cheeses,

Didn't you just see this movie last night? Or two nights ago? And it to you is already "ONE OF THE GREATEST MOVIES IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA"? I think that is a mighty big step. I disagree with both of your movie choices as being "GREATEST MOVIES IN HISTORY OF CINEMA". But they are good movies. Just not two of the best I've ever seen. Infact, I think there may even be better Tarantino movies than Pulp Fiction. I know at least 1, questionably 2. And I know there is a HUGE CULT FOLLOWING for a third movie of his. None being Kill Bill.
    well, seeing how it overstepped Pulp Fiction, that's how i see it. Does it matter how long ago i have seen it? Its got everything. GREAT acting, good soundtrack, AMAZING plot, replay value, everything.
    edited August 2010
    CheesesCrust;3951523 said:
    well, seeing how it overstepped Pulp Fiction, that's how i see it. Does it matter how long ago i have seen it? Its got everything. GREAT acting, good soundtrack, AMAZING plot, replay value, everything.
    Alright. To each his/her own. It is a good movie, that is not being questioned. Just never heard anyone call it there favorite. And I just ask about the time since seeing it because most people take a little bit to reflect back on the movie once it has settled into the mind, think to see if those same parts they got goosebumps during still make you feel the same way a few days later, to look back on parts you didn't like and wonder if you feel differently about them now, and how the whole movie came together to tell a story, good or bad, and how that story made you feel, looking back on it. Could you relate to any of the characters, little things. It usually is more of a process for me to decide if a movie is indeed one of my all time favs, or just a flavor of the week.

I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and it has impacted you in some way. Take that feeling the movie gave you and make something great come from it. It is inspiration.

Change of pace, but was that Michelle Pfieffer's last good movie? I cannot recall any that have come out since then that was worth anything.
  • AppleScruff88AppleScruff88 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    I've seen I am Sam several times, very nice film and the covers are suprisingly good. The camera work makes me a little dizzy though, lol.
    edited August 2010
    AppleScruff88;3951728 said:
    I've seen I am Sam several times, very nice film and the covers are suprisingly good. The camera work makes me a little dizzy though, lol.
    The scene where Michelle is racing through the st. trying to make the hearing in like what, 15 mins. That scene has a lot of crazy cameras.
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    sonicnerd23;3945497 said:
    I came into this thread expecting someone who synced The White Album with 2001: A Space Odyssey. I am disappointed.
    that would be awesome
  • Fishy70Fishy70 Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    I love it and as said earlier Dakota Fanning does an excellent job and I have to say I liked most of the covers(especially Eddie Vedar doing YGtHYLA)
  • Yer Blues JohnYer Blues John Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    No I meant Across the Universe was horrible. I loved I am Sam. Sean Penn was great in that and it makes me cry sometimes...