What is John playing in For You Blue

bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
edited August 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
When i saw the let it be movie i saw john with his guitar on his lap and he was using this thing on the strings to make that noise in for you blue. What is that thing john uses on the guitar. Its cool the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HJ2zDu_11w (1:33-1:59)

Comments

• CheesesCrustCheesesCrust Banned
    edited August 2010
    he has a guitar laying in his lap
  • KBeatle96KBeatle96 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    It's called a slide guitar.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    CheesesCrust;3953355 said:
    he has a guitar laying in his lap
    I know that.
    edited August 2010
    KBeatle96;3953358 said:
    It's called a slide guitar.
    okay but was is he holding when he's playing the slide guitar
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    bridog7;3953442 said:
    okay but was is he holding when he's playing the slide guitar
    A shotgun bullet casing.
  • KBeatle96KBeatle96 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    It is basically just a guitar on your lap and instead of fretting everything, you have a small wooden or metal rod to slide up and down the guitar. There are also guitars designed especially to be slide guitars, and usually they have shorter necks and are designed to play on your lap. You can also play it like a regular guitar, and have a finger slide (rod that goes around your finger like a big metal thumb cap) Paul McCartney's guitarist at live shows plays like this so he can do effects for songs like Band on the Run.
    edited August 2010
    okay. It sounds cool to me it sounds cool.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    He's playing a lap steel guitar with a bullet casing as a slide.
    edited August 2010
    gamegyro56;3953544 said:
    He's playing a lap steel guitar with a bullet casing as a slide.
    okay thanks. I know it might not seem that cool to other people but to me i don't know its weird. It seems so cool to me the sound of it.
  • Shadowkiller11Shadowkiller11 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    I do like unique instruments but nothing beats the Mellotron.
  • Zero CogZero Cog Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    MostSpartan14;3953450 said:
    A shotgun bullet casing.
    I think its a lipstick container :cool:
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Zero Cog;3955236 said:
    I think its a lipstick container :cool:
    Not according to Wikipedia. And don't come in here and say Wikipedia isn't reliable because everyone knows by now that false information get taken down very quickly.
  • Zero CogZero Cog Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    MostSpartan14;3955508 said:
    Not according to Wikipedia. And don't come in here and say Wikipedia isn't reliable because everyone knows by now that false information get taken down very quickly.
    Ok ;)
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    bridog7;3953656 said:
    okay thanks. I know it might not seem that cool to other people but to me i don't know its weird. It seems so cool to me the sound of it.
    bridog, I know you have heard of van halen, but maybe never seen them. They seem to be the innovators of this. They have used electric power drills as slide pieces to make a really unique sound. But early 80's VH really tried to take this to the next level by experimenting with all kinds of different materials and guitar techniques to create sounds never heard before on a rock record. Try to find some old video of "Eruption". I think they use power tools in "Ain't Talking Bout Love", but can't say for sure, that is later in there career.

But think of it like this, if you take 10 different types of material and just bang each one on a block of wood, you will probably have 10 different sounds produced, each material producing a unique sound. The same can be said for what you use as your slide piece for your guitar. Wood, metal, plastic, metal that is more hollow/less hollow, metal with dimples on them (thimble) heck, golf balls, all of these would produce unique, different sounds/effects on a guitar. Try it out yourself if you can.
    edited August 2010
    Dozer3677;3956713 said:
    bridog, I know you have heard of van halen, but maybe never seen them. They seem to be the innovators of this. They have used electric power drills as slide pieces to make a really unique sound. But early 80's VH really tried to take this to the next level by experimenting with all kinds of different materials and guitar techniques to create sounds never heard before on a rock record. Try to find some old video of "Eruption". I think they use power tools in "Ain't Talking Bout Love", but can't say for sure, that is later in there career.

But think of it like this, if you take 10 different types of material and just bang each one on a block of wood, you will probably have 10 different sounds produced, each material producing a unique sound. The same can be said for what you use as your slide piece for your guitar. Wood, metal, plastic, metal that is more hollow/less hollow, metal with dimples on them (thimble) heck, golf balls, all of these would produce unique, different sounds/effects on a guitar. Try it out yourself if you can.
    I Like Van Halen
    edited August 2010
    bridog7;3956730 said:
    I Like Van Halen
    they are good. No, I wasn't trying to question if you liked them or knew of them, I was just saying if you didn't know........

It seemed to relate to what you were saying you really liked. I thought if you liked the crazy sounds the beatles produced in Yer Blue, you may like/appreciate VH and like to know they also did the same things, but tried to take it the next level. Pretty unique ideas.

Check out the video on this forum. This guy is doing it w/a power drill
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited August 2010
    When I first read the title of this thread, I read it out of the corner of my eye and I though it said "Why is John Drake Playing For You Blue", and I was like "OMGDZZZZZ NEW DLC!!!!" Thanks for killing my dreams. ;_;
    edited August 2010
    soup567;3956863 said:
    When I first read the title of this thread, I read it out of the corner of my eye and I though it said "Why is John Drake Playing For You Blue", and I was like "OMGDZZZZZ NEW DLC!!!!" Thanks for killing my dreams. ;_;
    nice interpretation. That made me laugh. Sorry about that. Realize though, it is a shared dream. Maybe we killed someone elses too.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Dozer3677;3956973 said:
    nice interpretation. That made me laugh. Sorry about that. Realize though, it is a shared dream. Maybe we killed someone elses too.
    I'm not going to prison for dream murdering. I know a couple of guys, we'll just give them a call, hand over the dream corpse, and they'll take care of it like it never happened.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited August 2010
    MostSpartan14;3953450 said:
    A shotgun bullet casing.
    that was exactly what i was going to say (well, actually, just "a bullet")
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Never paid any attention to the guitar