Unpopular Musical Opinions

Comments

• TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Gowienczyk;3961261 said:
    :rolleyes:
    Phew *wipes brow*. I was sure you were going to go all Gowie on me with that comment.

;)
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    He eye rolled because you said not to judge people by posts after you did so.
  • DeviateRogueDeviateRogue Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    instantdeath999;3960781 said:
    I can see some merit in Nickelback, and really haven't listened to ICP enough to comment. However, I think that pretty much every band falling under the crunk core genre, particularly brokeNCYDE, are all very adept at doing everything possible horribly wrong.
    I find Family Force 5 entertaining but that's just me ;)

Also I actually enjoyed St.Anger. :eek:
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited August 2010
    Also consider most of the reg's do talk to each other offsite; whether on instant messengers, p2p or w/e.
  • QuaszarQuaszar Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Favorite Pink Floyd cd is Animals
    Favorite Yes cd is Drama
    Led Zeppelin II is their worst cd not counting Coda....
    edited August 2010
    Fair enough, but still. I wouldn't say you 'know' anyone until you've met them for real.
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Quaszar;3961281 said:
    Favorite Pink Floyd cd is Animals
    That's actually not all that unpopular.
  • instantdeath999instantdeath999 Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    Gowienczyk;3961240 said:
    Also In Utero is their most creative and adventurous, but it falls flat on being completely dull and mediocre. Nevermind is Nirvana almost completely removed from their noise rock/noise punk roots and is hit/miss. Bleach is their noise rock/punk prime and has their best material.
    Just a few comments on each.

Bleach- I agree it has their best material in a song-by-song basis, but I feel like a lot of it was in imitation of their peers. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think they display the least amount of individuality on the album.

Nevermind- Slightly overproduced, though has some fantastic songs (Something in the Way, Drain You, Lithium). The faster paced songs don't work as well, like Stay Away and Territorial Pissings.

In Utero- I personally disagree about it being dull. I find "Scentless Apprentice", "Pennyroyal Tea", and "All Apologies" as exciting as anything on Bleach.
    edited August 2010
    TheRollingBones;3961285 said:
    Fair enough, but still. I wouldn't say you 'know' anyone until you've met them for real.
    This is completely incorrect, while some people mask their social ineptitude through the internet; their posts and typing is an extension of them and sometimes more honestly them (I'm a pretty reserved dude in reality for example, but I can be honest to myself and others online due to me not having that social ineptitude on the computer). You learn about peoples opinions, perspectives, viewpoints, quirks, dislikes, etc. all through posts and instant messenger. This is who somebody is, not to the extent of their quirks offsite the PC, but do not assume I don't know anyone because I talk to them on a digital box.
  • edited August 2010
    Serve The Servants is a great tune.
    edited August 2010
    I'm a lot nicer on the internet than I am in real life.
    edited August 2010
    instantdeath999;3961291 said:
    Just a few comments on each.

Bleach- I agree it has their best material in a song-by-song basis, but I feel like a lot of it was in imitation of their peers. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think they display the least amount of individuality on the album.

Nevermind- Slightly overproduced, though has some fantastic songs (Something in the Way, Drain You, Lithium). The faster paced songs don't work as well, like Stay Away and Territorial Pissings.

In Utero- I personally disagree about it being dull. I find "Scentless Apprentice", "Pennyroyal Tea", and "All Apologies" as exciting as anything on Bleach.
    I really don't find it driving, interesting, exciting. It's their most progressive-- I will not deny it, but I do not see the quality in it otherwise. Meh.

ALSO IMITATION ISNT ALWAYS BADZ

Oh yeah, Territorial Pissings rules.
  • edited August 2010
    I thought Pissings was censored, and yes it does rule.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited August 2010
    I like the Red Chord.
    edited August 2010
    Gowienczyk;3961310 said:
    I really don't find it driving, interesting, exciting. It's their most progressive-- I will not deny it, but I do not see the quality in it otherwise. Meh.

ALSO IMITATION ISNT ALWAYS BADZ

Oh yeah, Territorial Pissings rules.
    I really like TP, though I think it would have sounded even better if it were on Bleach. Just a speculation, though.

As for the imitation thing, true, and I'm probably relating too much of it to what I've read. It really seems like the label was pushing for a highly specific sound (grunge), and Kurt was really only to diverge from that sound on "About a Girl" (which, somewhat ironically, is one of the weaker tracks in my opinion).
    edited August 2010
    I really like TP, though I think it would have sounded even better if it were on Bleach. Just a speculation, though.
    Breed and TP do sound like they are Bleach-era songwriting, yeah.

Also, I feel Bleach is far more noise rock akin to The Jesus Lizard than grunge.
  • edited August 2010
    instantdeath999;3961323 said:

As for the imitation thing, true, and I'm probably relating too much of it to what I've read. It really seems like the label was pushing for a highly specific sound (grunge), and Kurt was really only to diverge from that sound on "About a Girl" (which, somewhat ironically, is one of the weaker tracks in my opinion).
    Agreed
    edited August 2010
    Gowienczyk;3961304 said:
    This is completely incorrect, while some people mask their social ineptitude through the internet; their posts and typing is an extension of them and sometimes more honestly them (I'm a pretty reserved dude in reality for example, but I can be honest to myself and others online due to me not having that social ineptitude on the computer). You learn about peoples opinions, perspectives, viewpoints, quirks, dislikes, etc. all through posts and instant messenger. This is who somebody is, not to the extent of their quirks offsite the PC, but do not assume I don't know anyone because I talk to them on a digital box.
    Fair enough, you can know some things about people through online messengers and posts, and may be able to correctly assume that you know them fairly well, but nothing digital replaces real speech to someone. For example, if I saw 10 regulars here, and talked to them for a few minutes, I likely wouldn't be able to pick many out.

Regardless, this thread couldn't be more off-topic, so let's get back to whatever.
    edited August 2010
    Gowienczyk;3961327 said:
    Breed and TP do sound like they are Bleach-era songwriting, yeah.

Also, I feel Bleach is far more noise rock akin to The Jesus Lizard than grunge.
    That would make sense, since I'm pretty sure Kurt gave The Jesus Lizard lots of free advertising.
  • DeviateRogueDeviateRogue Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Also, I find Nirvana is highly overrated, as well as Cobain supposedly being a great singer/guitarist. Not saying Nirvana sucks, just highly overrated.
    edited August 2010
    TheRollingBones;3961330 said:
    Fair enough, you can know some things about people through online messengers and posts, and may be able to correctly assume that you know them fairly well, but nothing digital replaces real speech to someone. For example, if I saw 10 regulars here, and talked to them for a few minutes, I likely wouldn't be able to pick many out.

Regardless, this thread couldn't be more off-topic, so let's get back to whatever.
    I've known King Progdor online since 2006, I vacationed in Maine on a urge in 2009-- he was completely as expected due to our conversations and me knowing him on a online forum. None of my social awkwardness came out due to that comfort from knowing him and his viewpoints.

=/
  • JukeBoxHeroJukeBoxHero Headliner
    edited August 2010
    I like the Sailor Moon soundtrack...
  • eagles1990eagles1990 Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    instantdeath999;3961323 said:

I agree that About a Girl is one of the weaker songs on the album. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album but it would've been perfect for incesticide. Also, Paper Cuts is one of Nirvana's most underrated songs. So dark and sludgy!!!!
    edited August 2010
    eagles1990;3961366 said:
    I agree that About a Girl is one of the weaker songs on the album. It doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album but it would've been perfect for incesticide. Also, Paper Cuts is one of Nirvana's most underrated songs. So dark and sludgy!!!!
    Paper Cuts is awesome, one of my favorites.
  • eagles1990eagles1990 Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    • I don't see what was so great about the Beatles
    • Soundgarden was the best grunge band to come out of Seattle
    • Stone Temple Pilots aren't grunge
    • Arcade Fire isn't that good
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    yeah, "paper cuts" is easily one of nirvana's best songs. my favorite is probably "verse chorus verse", followed by "aneurysm" and "school".
    edited August 2010
    I'm tempted to say that Nirvana's unplugged album is their best or 2nd best album...
  • KBeatle96KBeatle96 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    With all the Nirvana talk, just thought I'd throw in my two cents. There studio albums are pretty good, excluding In Utero which I've always thought was just kinda meh. MTV Unplugged though, kicks the studio albums butt!
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    i still love all the covers from nirvana's unplugged, but most of their own songs weren't in top form (though the in utero tunes were cool).
    edited August 2010
    MTV Unplugged though, kicks the studio albums butt!
    Nah. Bleach still wins.