RBN Serious Noob

chris.cyrechris.cyre Unsigned
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I don't know a thing about this but back in the 90's my wifes dad was the drummer for a band they had that did country rock. That good old 70's type stuff that hurts your fingers when you play it in rock band. Believe it or not he passed on the opportunity to drum for REO Speedwagon before they got big. Anyway I have the CD, made mp3's of it and would like to somehow get it on RB to play.

Now thats the thing, I'm sure there is legal stuff and I'm sure I can get him to say sure wth go for it. But I don't know how to do it. Does anyone on here do it? Is there a fee involved? What are all the hoops I need to jump through to get someone to make a few? It's not for publicity since they don't tour anymore, it's more for need some good music for RBN? I got some. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give.

Comments

• SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Sadly, having the CD is of little use for RBN. The master tracks of the songs are necessary to chart the individual tracks, but if it is your father-in-law's band, hopefully he has access to them.

There is more information about the whole process on the RBN creator's site, and a bunch more in the stickied threads at the top of the RBN forum.

Best of luck!
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Yea, the big requirements are masters and legal rights. If you can square those away, though, everything else is a matter of which authoring team you go with. Some are more expensive, some charge for the service and give you all the royalties while others don't charge but split the royalties, and so forth. Obviously I have a bit of a vested interest in which team you go with, wink wink nudge nudge, but figuring out who to work with is really your biggest research effort on the whole project. If you're not authoring it yourself, you don't really need to worry about the process stuff; just get the right material to the right people and they'll take care of it.

In terms of finding the right team- I suggest looking at Sayburr's list, and looking at RockBandAide's list. There's very few unique to either list, but if a group is on both you know they're active.
  • RockBandAideRockBandAide Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    FairwoodStudios;3964054 said:
    Yea, the big requirements are masters and legal rights. If you can square those away, though, everything else is a matter of which authoring team you go with. Some are more expensive, some charge for the service and give you all the royalties while others don't charge but split the royalties, and so forth. Obviously I have a bit of a vested interest in which team you go with, wink wink nudge nudge, but figuring out who to work with is really your biggest research effort on the whole project. If you're not authoring it yourself, you don't really need to worry about the process stuff; just get the right material to the right people and they'll take care of it.

In terms of finding the right team- I suggest looking at Sayburr's list, and looking at RockBandAide's list. There's very few unique to either list, but if a group is on both you know they're active.
    If anyone knows of any missing authors or defunct ones on my list, let me know and I can update. Thanks!