No non-American authors?

DarrenIndeedDarrenIndeed Unsigned
edited September 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I don't know if I'm being blind or stupid or what, but I can't download the Reaper plug-ins/Magma without being a registered member of the creators club. I can't sign up for the creators club since the "state" drop-down box doesn't have a non-USA option.

I don't really want to lie about where I live... Is RBN authoring even technically available outside the US?

Comments

• wazmo99wazmo99 Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    Yeah same problem here. If its not available outside of the us then that really piss's me off. I hate being excluded from things simply because i'm Canadian.
  • bodissiebodissie Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    agreed I would seriously consider joining were it available in the provinces.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Anybody should be able to download the authoring software for charting purposes, but submission to XNA is limited to specific countries.
    XNA Creators Club Online Premium members in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and the United States are able to sell their games.
    So, you can chart songs and I believe you would also have the ability to test them yourself locally. But to submit for approval, you would either need to live in one of the above countries or deal with people who do.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3968704 said:
    Anybody should be able to download the authoring software for charting purposes, but submission to XNA is limited to specific countries.

So, you can chart songs and I believe you would also have the ability to test them yourself locally. But to submit for approval, you would either need to live in one of the above countries or deal with people who do.
    I think submission to RBN is actually just limited to the US, at least for now. I don't know the reason, I assume there are messy legal or logistical issues and Harmonix didn't just decide they felt like messing with the rest of the world.

It should be easy to get the plugins and such by just lying about your country. Actual submission might be more complicated, I don't really know how these things work.

If you can't submit songs on your own, it may still be possible to find a charting company that will hire you without requiring you to relocate (I have no clue how localized charting companies tend to be), or you might be able to use something like Fairwood's proxy program, where they'll submit songs that other people have charted (for bands (or I guess authors) who aren't in the US or don't have an XNA account but still want to be able to chart their own songs).
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah. I guess I forgot about that US-only thing. Still, anybody can chart, they just need to contact an appropriate group for submission.
  • st4t1c v01dst4t1c v01d Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    If HMX is really serious about appealing to the market outside of the US they have to make it possible for europeans to submit songs. I contacted quite a few German bands and their labels weren't really comfortable with sending their stems to a foreign company. I'm happy we can buy RBN songs here in Germany but after 6 months I hoped they would make submission possible for non-US citizens as well.
    edited August 2010
    The most likely reason for the limitations are due to local laws regarding sale and monetary disbursement over the internet. Whatever their reasons, HMX has decided to restrict the submitting country to the US.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3971779 said:
    local laws regarding sale and monetary disbursement over the internet.
    More likely local copyright laws regarding the music. The sale stuff should be covered by MS...
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    If I may, this is what I believe to be the official response from HMXLachesis on the creators forums regarding why there are no international submitions as of yet. He specifically refers to Canada as a stand-in for international countries.

I hope it's OK to post this.
    I often find requests for international membership (or membership for the PS3 and Wii) in the support queue. Though I've responded to them on a 1:1 basis, I'm not sure I've ever addressed them publicly.

Canada ROCKS. Amazing music comes out of Canada. Without boring everyone with a list of my favorite Canadian bands, I will simply point out that "YYZ" is the call sign for the Toronto airport, and I know this because one of the greatest bands ever pointed it out to me.

And left to my own devices, I would love to have Canadian users on Creators. (In fact, I would love for creators.rockband.com to be open to every nation in the world and for the RBN to every console type, including PS3, Wii, PS2, the original Xbox, and everything all the way back to the original Nintendo.)

However, there are incredible legal and technological complications involved. We rely on the Xbox because Microsoft's XNA program is the infrastructure that allows Creators to exist. This means that any arrangements we make need to not only work out with our lawyers (and MTV's, and Viacom's) but with all the various levels of Microsoft's lawyers in whatever fashion is necessary. Arranging for this to be possible (contracts, copyrights, etc., etc.) in the USA is difficult. Extending the legalities to address not only the laws of the USA, but the laws of another country -- well.

And it isn't because we hate Canada (or the UK, or Mexico, or Spain, or any of the other places that I've heard from.) But sit down and read... really read... http://creators.rockband.com/site/programTerms. And then read http://creators.rockband.com/site/termsOfUse. And then read http://creators.rockband.com/site/copyrightCompliance. And then remember that these are only the user-facing side of the legalities....

I'm not saying we don't want to. We do, very much. But we can't make any promises, and we don't have any time frame.
    edited August 2010
    axelkothe;3971915 said:
    More likely local copyright laws regarding the music. The sale stuff should be covered by MS...
    It is. However, there is also the matter of potential ports to PS3 and MS isn't going to be involved in that. By limiting submission to US authors, HMX can more easily deal with payment issues to the submitters.

This is not a situation that can be easily resolved by hoping and wishing for an easier way.
  • st4t1c v01dst4t1c v01d Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    k-mac;3972461 said:
    If I may, this is what I believe to be the official response from HMXLachesis on the creators forums regarding why there are no international submitions as of yet. He specifically refers to Canada as a stand-in for international countries.

I hope it's OK to post this.
    That is really disappointing. I'm not disappointed in HMX, I just find it funny that with the state the music industry is in and the globalization in all parts of our lives the music companies and their lawyer are not able to make this work on a global basis. Sad.
  • HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited August 2010
    k-mac;3972461 said:
    I referenced Canada because the person I was responding to was asking specifically about Canada.

Also, I'm a she.

Otherwise? It's all good.
  • chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    This thread breaks my heart but it seems like it would be a bunch of crap to deal with on Harmonix's part, we probably won't see non-US authors for awhile if at all.

I guess the way to go would be trying to use a charting company to submit songs for you. Or lie about your address...I do not condone the latter.

I kinda think this wouldn't work but what if you have one of those ship-to addresses- the companies that will ship goods worldwide to you if the company you order from only ships to the US- can you use that as your address? I have an address in California I use to ship stuff to when companies only ship within US, would that work? I'm thinking no probably not.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    chasenmusky;4038005 said:
    I guess the way to go would be trying to use a charting company to submit songs for you. Or lie about your address...I do not condone the latter.

I kinda think this wouldn't work but what if you have one of those ship-to addresses- the companies that will ship goods worldwide to you if the company you order from only ships to the US- can you use that as your address? I have an address in California I use to ship stuff to when companies only ship within US, would that work? I'm thinking no probably not.
    Something tells me that the Lawyer Chain wouldn't be terribly happy with the ship-to plan, even if you could make it functionally work. I wouldn't try it personally, but then again I'm risk-adverse.

As for submitting through an authoring team, we do that. Lyrics for Monday authored their song, we're just submitting it 'cause they're in Japan. (I don't know if any other teams do that, though.) And you can be from anywhere and still work for an authoring company, so if you can find one that'll hire you, there's another workaround.
  • chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    FairwoodStudios;4038033 said:
    As for submitting through an authoring team, we do that. Lyrics for Monday authored their song, we're just submitting it 'cause they're in Japan. (I don't know if any other teams do that, though.) And you can be from anywhere and still work for an authoring company, so if you can find one that'll hire you, there's another workaround.
    That's good to know! So basically you can author and create but not submit, that's where an authoring company would come in I guess?

So how do you go about getting "hired" by one of these companies? I'm inclined to just e-mail and hope for the best!

I am hesitant though on buying the XNA membership since I'm not sure what exactly that would entail since I live in Canada.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2010
    Chase, (and anyone else reading this thread from oustide the US...or in ;) ) drop me a line at [EMAIL="nlarimer@gmail.com"]nlarimer@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

We're currently on the hunt for authors, and like Fairwood we too can help authors outside the US submit work. Either on their own, or they can join up with us.

We've got some exciting music in the pipeline, and we're gonna need some more hands on deck to help get it all out the door.