News and announcements from That Authoring Group

Comments

• ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited December 2010
    My HD recorder should be here today or tomorrow. So if I manage to get it working right I'd say start looking for videos on Friday.

There will be a lot of them, but just be aware that some of these are in very early states and will most definitely get revised from the point you see them until release.

Once a song hits the stores we'll release a new video of final gameplay so you know what you're getting when you pick up the track.
    edited December 2010
    As promised here is the start of the preview videos!

Please keep in mind that all of these are works in progress. You probably will spot errors or charting gaffs that are not indicitive of what the final product will look like.

Now that the 'legal blabber' part is out of the way lets get onto the good stuff.

This was our first attempt at ZTO.

The theme of the album is that Ziltoid is 'breaking into' Rock Band and taking over the entire game. Removing control from the player and putting everything in Zitloid's control. Over the course of the album the player will fight against Ziltoid to regain control of Rock Band.

In the opening track ZTO, Ziltoid first makes his presence known, and the effects of him hacking Rock Band are the venue, characters, animation, and camera effects are all spazzing out from this unknown intruder.

We really wanted to make this track something that no one has seen before in the game. That included camera cuts in the range of 20 or so a second. The characters animating and behaving 'out of control', including animating and 'talking' when there are no vocal parts to cue them to do so, just be as unique as we could with this one to set the tone for the entire album.

This first pass we really went hog wild with the 'spazzing out' effects. It was deemed a bit much and this version was scrapped.

A new version has since been put together to tone back the spazz outs, and introduce the 'garbage vocal chart'. Where Ziltoid's effect on the game has some interesting phrases the players is forced to say to keep from failing out.

Here's the video :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UACDNHTEY
    edited December 2010
    This is our second run at ZTO. The most notable change is the venue, lighting, and camera cuts have been really toned down. The second change is the introduction of the 'garbage vox'. Meaning that Ziltoid has hacked into the Vocal chart and is forcing the player to say all kinds of zany phrases to appease him. Of course the effect of him doing so sometimes spits out gibberish phrases the players has to 'sing' as well.

We felt there was too much of the garbage vox in this take, and it's going to get parsed down to only happen when there's no actual singing or Ziltoid himself isn't speaking.
    As it is now when the player is speaking the garbage vox over Ziltoid it just seems to cluttered and busy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSSEmQchdMc
    A third version is well under way.
    edited December 2010
    This was actually two tracks Sheeps Into Goats and Systematomatic that the band decided they wanted merged as the songs do flow right into each other.

This is our first run at this song. The venue hasn't been tinkered with yet, and we need to adjust the vocals to get them louder in the mix, but we thought we'd give you a sneak peek at the work in progress
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loY1uIBMd1Q

If you haven't heard Rishloo yet you should definitely check out this preview video. Very Tool, Perfect Circle kind a vibe going on with the band.
  • benginobengino Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    well, not sure if this will get replied to or not, but in any case i figure i'll ask anyways, i was **extremely** excited when "Money Honey" was released through RBN in August and was wondering if you or anyone else had anything else from State Of Shock in the pipelines (not necessary to name songs, just a yay or nay will suffice for me)
    edited December 2010
    I know we don't have anything by them at this time.

I'm not sure if any other authoring groups are working on more of their material at the moment, but there ins't anything up on creators from them right now.

The original authoring group was Tunecore. I'd contact them and see if they have any future plans for the band :)
  • SmellMyFingerSmellMyFinger Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Can't wait for the Rishloo sneak peak to be processed!
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited December 2010
    I'm very interested to see how Ziltoid turns out.

Not sure how I feel about the change from the first video to the second but I'll wait til the third to pass judgments.
    edited December 2010
    Lady Siara;4218137 said:
    I'm very interested to see how Ziltoid turns out.

Not sure how I feel about the change from the first video to the second but I'll wait til the third to pass judgments.
    Did you like the spazz out more than the garbage vox?
    edited December 2010
    This is the final build for I Am King Tony's Stereo Stereo.

We had a blast working on this song, and we hope you'll have just as much fun playing it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP88GQd5es0

This is juuuuust about to pass peer review and should hopefully pop up in the music store early next week.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Personally, I'm rather disappointed that the great melodic vocals at 0:33 or so aren't charted. Devin isn't just about the talkies you know. :P

I think the venue/animation weirdness in the first video was way too much, and I wasn't sure what the point was with the random vocal lines in the second video...
    edited December 2010
    Oscarvarium;4218191 said:
    Personally, I'm rather disappointed that the great melodic vocals at 0:33 or so aren't charted. Devin isn't just about the talkies you know. :P

I think the venue/animation weirdness in the first video was way too much, and I wasn't sure what the point was with the random vocal lines in the second video...

That was Devin's call. He had the melodic stuff baked into the baking tracks so we couldn't do anything with it charting wise.

The random vocal lines is our way of trying to 'break' rock band. Ziltoid has hacked into the game, so since we couldn't physically show a Ziltoid character we had to make his effects known in other ways. Like the animation/character spazzing, and the vocal chart spewing out random 'garbage vox'

Think of it like interference when one station breaks into another one on a radio.

But we all agree that the garbage vox was too much in the second build, so it's being parsed down to just one or two random lines.
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Small suggestion- turn drum fills off when making videos, it helps drummers evaluate the track. But still, it looks good, came a long way.
    edited December 2010
    Thanks Fairwood.

Yeah that was a dumb oversite on my part.

I'll make sure future videos are fill free ;)
  • FairwoodStudiosFairwoodStudios Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4218200 said:
    Thanks Fairwood.

Yeah that was a dumb oversite on my part.

I'll make sure future videos are fill free ;)

Hey, at least now I know Stereo Stereo has the right fill rate. So if I have to do the last review that's one less thing to check. :)
    edited December 2010
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    You should turn off drum fills for RBN previews. A lot of people don't even have fills turned on in RB3!
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4218167 said:
    Did you like the spazz out more than the garbage vox?

I actually liked the spazzing out quite a lot, but really, I liked the garbage vox, too.

I think that if you combined the two, you'd have something pretty sweet, but that's just me.
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4218196 said:
    That was Devin's call. He had the melodic stuff baked into the baking tracks so we couldn't do anything with it charting wise.
    I see, that's still a shame though. :(
    The random vocal lines is our way of trying to 'break' rock band. Ziltoid has hacked into the game, so since we couldn't physically show a Ziltoid character we had to make his effects known in other ways. Like the animation/character spazzing, and the vocal chart spewing out random 'garbage vox'

Think of it like interference when one station breaks into another one on a radio.

But we all agree that the garbage vox was too much in the second build, so it's being parsed down to just one or two random lines.
    To be honest I would rather there weren't any charted. I'd say the venue and animation freakout is enough without impacting the actual gameplay.
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4217976 said:
    This is our second run at ZTO. The most notable change is the venue, lighting, and camera cuts have been really toned down. The second change is the introduction of the 'garbage vox'. Meaning that Ziltoid has hacked into the Vocal chart and is forcing the player to say all kinds of zany phrases to appease him. Of course the effect of him doing so sometimes spits out gibberish phrases the players has to 'sing' as well.

I think this was a ridiculously fantastic idea, and I'd enjoy it even more if there were notes charted for the other instruments even though they aren't playing. I watched the second version first and loved it; I watched the first version second and liked it a lot less. I really hope the "garbage" vox are kept for the third version.
    Oscarvarium;4218191 said:
    Personally, I'm rather disappointed that the great melodic vocals at 0:33 or so aren't charted.

That's a damn shame.
    edited December 2010
    The 'garbage' vox will indeed stick around, just not quite as much of it so it doesn't seem so cluttered and busy.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2010
    I'm not sure how much of a pain in the butt it is to make the videos, but any chance I could get a finished Stereo Stereo video without the fills on? The silences are kind of annoying.
    edited December 2010
    No worries Tony. I'll get one made up tonight!
  • SwivleSwivle Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    I loved the crazy camera effects, but I thought the 'garbage vox' were kind of dumb.
  • KaneRobotKaneRobot Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Laughed at the backwards Planet Smasher lyrics in ZTO. Can't wait. Yeah, tone down the garbage vocals a bit, but frankly I prefer the camera going as bat**** crazy as possible.

"Make it perfect!"
    edited December 2010
    So from everyone's reaction so far I'm getting "Make the venue/camera as crazy as possible (like in the first version), and add garbage vox, but tone it down."

Is this assumption correct?

We want to make this as fun as possible for you guys :)
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4219743 said:
    So from everyone's reaction so far I'm getting "Make the venue/camera as crazy as possible (like in the first version), and add garbage vox, but tone it down."

Is this assumption correct?

We want to make this as fun as possible for you guys :)

Yeah, that's about how I feel, not sure about everyone else though.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited December 2010
    I feel like the garbage vox thing will only confuse people, unless the Ziltoid voiceover specifically references it before it happens (something like "I even control you!") But that's just my thought. I also think it'd be nice if the garbage lines were timed such that they function as "callbacks" responding to Ziltoid's lines and/or to the uncharted chorus.

I like the venue spazzing as well.
    edited December 2010
    The Panic Range by Ken Kardashian.
    This is our first run at this song so as usual things can and will change in future iterations.
    Just wanted to give everyone a sneak peek!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBEtZbKznY4
    edited December 2010
    Stereo Stereo is up on error420!

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/offers/80000675-0000-4000-8000-000045410869

It should hit the store in the next update. IF you don't want to wait I can guarantee that this is the final version of the song.

We don't plan on putting up another version, and HMX has already sent the 'you're approved' email for the song.

Hooray! Our first song is up. :D