Let It Be Vs Let It Be....Naked

TheHunterX360TheHunterX360 Unsigned
edited August 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
A little background courtesy of wikipedia

The album is presented in a form which Paul McCartney considered closer to its original artistic vision: to "get back" to the rock and roll sound of their early years rather than the orchestral overdubs and embellishments which were added by Phil Spector in the production of the final Let It Be album. Paul McCartney in particular was always dissatisfied with the "Wall of Sound" production style of the Phil Spector remixes, especially for his song "The Long and Winding Road", which he believed was ruined by the process. George Harrison gave his approval for the Naked project before he died. McCartney's attitude contrasted with Lennon's from over two decades earlier. In his September 1980 Playboy interview, Lennon had defended Spector's work, saying "He was given the ****tiest load of badly recorded **** with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something of it."

Anyways anyone ever listen to both albums? Which one do you like better. Honestly I hated Spector's version of Let It Be. IMO the orchestral overdubs and choirs ruined The Long and Winding Road, and cutting a great song like Don't Let Me Down is insulting.

I feel that Paul McCartney's re-release should be considered the actual soundtrack of the film.

Comments

• KBeatle96KBeatle96 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    They're both good in different aspects.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Let it be naked
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Personally, I miss all the funny banter on the Naked version. Apart from doctoring up "Across the Universe," "I Me Mine," and "The Long and Winding Road," (the "Let It Be" orchestration was done by the group themselves) the original version pretty much offers up the definitive versions of most of the songs in question. Still, this would be the definitive version of the Let It Be album for me:

SIDE ONE:
    "Two of Us" [the original Let It Be version]
    "Dig a Pony" [the original Let It Be version, minus the false start... so technically the TB:RB version minus the in-game ambience :o]
    "Across the Universe" [the Naked version]
    "I Me Mine" [the original Let It Be version, minus the orchestration... so, again, technically the TB:RB version minus the in-game ambience]
    "Dig It" [this edit, plus the 'Now let's do 'ark the Angels Come' line from the end of the original Let It Be version]
    "Let It Be" [the original Let It Be version, minus the orchestration -- if possible]
    "Maggie May/Fancy My Chances with You" [this version]

SIDE TWO:
    "I've Got a Feeling" [the original Let It Be version]
    "One After 909" [the original Let It Be version with the corrected opening riff from the Naked version]
    "Don't Let Me Down" [the Naked version]
    "The Long and Winding Road" [the Naked version with the 'any way you'll never know' line from the Anthology 3 version spliced over the offending 'any way you've always known' line change :o]
    "For You Blue" [the original Let It Be version]
    "Get Back" [the Naked version with the same chatter bookending the song on the original album]

What do you think?
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    HotMangoChutney;3974414 said:
    Personally, I miss all the funny banter on the Naked version. Apart from doctoring up "Across the Universe," "I Me Mine," and "The Long and Winding Road," (the "Let It Be" orchestration was done by the group themselves) the original version pretty much offers up the definitive versions of most of the songs in question. Still, this would be the definitive version of the Let It Be album for me:

SIDE ONE:
    "Two of Us" [the original Let It Be version]
    "Dig a Pony" [the original Let It Be version, minus the false start... so technically the TB:RB version minus the in-game ambience :o]
    "Across the Universe" [the Naked version]
    "I Me Mine" [the original Let It Be version, minus the orchestration... so, again, technically the TB:RB version minus the in-game ambience]
    "Dig It" [this edit, plus the 'Now let's do 'ark the Angels Come' line from the end of the original Let It Be version]
    "Let It Be" [original Let It Be version, minus the orchestration -- if possible]
    "Maggie May/Fancy My Chances with You" [this version]

SIDE TWO:
    "I've Got a Feeling" [the original Let It Be version]
    "One After 909" [the original Let It Be version with the corrected opening riff from the Naked version]
    "Don't Let Me Down" [the Naked version]
    "The Long and Winding Road" [the Naked version with the 'any way you'll never know' line from the Anthology 3 version spliced over the offending 'any way you've always known' line change :o]
    "For You Blue" [the original Let It Be version]
    "Get Back" [the Naked version with the same chatter bookending the song on the original album]

What do you think?
    I would definitely NOT buy that. Because I do not have a record player.
    edited August 2010
    gamegyro56;3974485 said:
    I would definitely NOT buy that. Because I do not have a record player.
    If I removed the SIDE ONE and SIDE TWO headings would you? :cool:
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    HotMangoChutney;3974744 said:
    If I removed the SIDE ONE and SIDE TWO headings would you? :cool:
    Yes I would :D Though I have a 15 minute version of Dig It that would be better than the 2 minute version :p
  • jrdj87jrdj87 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    let it be naked for me, it's clearer, less fussy and mixed much nicer and the tracks just breath much more easily. let it be seems hazy, cluttered and the overdubs (eg the long and winding road) are too lush and for me spoil it.
    edited August 2010
    gamegyro56;3974751 said:
    Yes I would :D Though I have a 15 minute version of Dig It that would be better than the 2 minute version :p
    Honestly I compiled this with a more LP-minded approach, i.e. what the group would've released it as back in the day. Besides, there's no way they would've released a 15-minute one-riff jam on one of their proper albums.

With that said, I still would like to one day see an Extended Versions compilation, if you will that contains the complete, unabridged versions of their longer recordings: the complete 6.5-minute version of "12-Bar Original," the complete 8-minute version of "It's All Too Much," the complete 9.5-minute version of "Flying," the complete 4.5-minute version of "Not Guilty," the complete 12-minute 2nd take (and/or the complete 27-minute 3rd take) of "Helter Skelter," the complete 6-minute version of "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)," etc.
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    HotMangoChutney;3974852 said:
    Honestly I compiled this with a more LP-minded approach, i.e. what the group would've released it as back in the day. Besides, there's no way they would've released a 15-minute one-riff jam on one of their proper albums.

With that said, I still would like to one day see an Extended Versions compilation, if you will that contains the complete, unabridged versions of their longer recordings: the complete 6.5-minute version of "12-Bar Original," the complete 8-minute version of "It's All Too Much," the complete 9.5-minute version of "Flying," the complete 4.5-minute version of "Not Guilty," the complete 12-minute 2nd take (and/or the complete 27-minute 3rd take) of "Helter Skelter," the complete 6-minute version of "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)," etc.
    I would like that alot.

I prefer Let It Be, but really, like the Let It Be naked version of The Long......
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    I honestly don't understand the hate for "The Long and Winding Road" orchestra.

I mean, I grew up with that version, and everytime I hear the bridge without the orchestra, it sounds so weird.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Daytripped;3978223 said:

I mean, I grew up with that version, and everytime I hear the bridge without the orchestra, it sounds so weird.
    It sounds better to me the LIB naked version. but that's you that you like that version over the lib naked version. There's nothing wrong with both versions i just like the naked version better. Paul dislikes the phil spector version however.
    edited August 2010
    Daytripped;3978223 said:

It (and the choir, especially) makes the song sound significantly more schmaltzy, no? As Paul has said, he was going for more of a Ray Charles-style ballad with the song... not Andy Williams. :P Plus, I think Paul's vocal on the Naked version is vastly superior (aside from the 'any way you've always known' line change).