Looking for some anime songs.

Alucard66691Alucard66691 Unsigned
edited September 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Anyone have any RBA files of anime songs. I can't seem to find any. I'm also wondering if RBN has any anime songs in there store yet.

Comments

• DookieManDookieMan Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    jeccaneko;3976485 said:
    They can't be put up officially, at least not if the song is actually in Japanese, which most anime songs are. Japanese is not one of the languages allowed on RBN.
    Why does the language have to be known? Can't it just be labeled as English, and the lyrics could be just written in a close "translation", for lack of a better word?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited August 2010
    DookieMan;3976572 said:
    Why does the language have to be known? Can't it just be labeled as English, and the lyrics could be just written in a close "translation", for lack of a better word?
    I could go for that
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited August 2010
    DookieMan;3976572 said:

The main reason is if the testers don't speak the language, how are we going to test it?

For all we know it could be telling you to murder your parents and sodomize a moose in Japanese ;)
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited August 2010
    DookieMan;3976572 said:
    I'm pretty sure the rule is in place so that you can't put up a song that's filled with foreign (in this example Japanese) swears and vulgarities, without any testers fluent in Japanese to pick up on these things.

And the word you'd be looking for is "transliteration," I think, which is how you take foreign-alphabet words and write them using our alphabet. That is probably what they will do if we ever get Japanese songs in Rock Band, but they'd still need at least some people who can read the language to check the content.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2010
    The closest you're going to get with that is "I.V." by X-Japan, which is found in Rock Band 2's 20 free bonus songs.
  • Alucard66691Alucard66691 Unsigned
    edited August 2010
    I really am thankful for all of you commenting, but like TubaDude49 mentioned, please ignore the request for rba files. I kind of figured that Harmonix would not approve of that sort of thing.
    edited August 2010
    It's possible to put dubbed songs from anime. I don't see why they don't put that. They may not be as good as the original but at least they're there. Also, why not some Beat Crusaders? They speak broken English.
  • kitlerckitlerc Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Alucard66691;3976648 said:
    It's possible to put dubbed songs from anime. I don't see why they don't put that. They may not be as good as the original but at least they're there. Also, why not some Beat Crusaders? They speak broken English.
    Yeah, they were made to hit in america.
    edited August 2010
    HAHAHA A Beck joke. That's a good one. I would like that song or Tonight, Tonight, Tonight. It would be cool to have a Beck Track Pack too.
    edited August 2010
    There are definitely plenty of anime songs that could work, and I wouldn't be surprised if at least some RBN authors have tried to get in touch with the Japanese rights holders, but that's gotta be pretty tricky. Though then again, if there are American companies releasing the soundtracks in the U.S., then those companies might have all the distribution rights necessary to license the RBN tracks?

In summary, it would still be pretty complicated and I have no idea.

I think we need somebody to record some original songs "in the style of" broken English anime themes.
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    I could go for the Samurai Champloo opening, or the Funimation Dub of the One Piece opening ^_^
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited August 2010
    Well, there are songs that are in English for anime. Serial Experiments Lain's theme is in English, Gunslinger Girl's theme is in English... Again, most are in Japanese though.

They could certainly use dub versions for shows that have them, but somebody on RBN would have to get the rights to do so.
  • RyoandrRyoandr Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    LuigiHann;3976598 said:
    I'm pretty sure the rule is in place so that you can't put up a song that's filled with foreign (in this example Japanese) swears and vulgarities, without any testers fluent in Japanese to pick up on these things.

And the word you'd be looking for is "transliteration," I think, which is how you take foreign-alphabet words and write them using our alphabet. That is probably what they will do if we ever get Japanese songs in Rock Band, but they'd still need at least some people who can read the language to check the content.
    Many if not all occidental licensed subbed animes have translated subs for opening and ending songs. Some bonus in DVDs often include full lengh songs, lyrics and translations. So checking for offensive lyrics should not be hard in these cases.

And on a side note, I think I would go crazy if I ever see some Bubblegum Crisis (the original serie, not the crappy 2040 remake) appear on Rock Band. Even more for RB3 has there's every instruments and harmonies...
  • ShaneraneShanerane Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    The Pokemon theme song.
    edited August 2010
    I really want some K-ON! songs. It would be cool to listen to some After School Tea Time or some Death Devil.
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    How many testers would you need to make Japanese an official Rock Band Network language?

I remember making a thread about Japanese songs a while back, and a mod (henry, maybe?) mentioned that you'd need a good number of players fluent in the language before we'd see any Japanese tracks.

EDIT: Found it. Magnet's the one who told me, and it's eight players fluent in Japanese.
    edited August 2010
    Mikachu;3980239 said:
    How many testers would you need to make Japanese an official Rock Band Network language?

I remember making a thread about Japanese songs a while back, and a mod (henry, maybe?) mentioned that you'd need a good number of players fluent in the language before we'd see any Japanese tracks.

EDIT: Found it. Magnet's the one who told me, and it's eight players fluent in Japanese.
    Eight doesn't seem that bad.
  • KooleKyleKooleKyle Rising Star
    edited August 2010
    Dammit...Well... What about the dubbed songs?
    edited August 2010
    Alucard66691;3980252 said:
    Eight doesn't seem that bad.
    Not at all. Considering one of the high schools right down the road from me teaches Japanese courses (up to year four, I think), that's thirty people right there.

Factor out all the people who don't play Rock Band... and that leaves maybe one student. But still.
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    If we only had eight Japanese-speaking testers, though, then every single one of them would have to playtest and peer review every single Japanese song. So we'd probably need more than that to get a reasonable amount of Japanese content out.
  • FlyGuyLXIFlyGuyLXI Headl!ner
    edited August 2010
    Mikachu;3980379 said:
    Not at all. Considering one of the high schools right down the road from me teaches Japanese courses (up to year four, I think), that's thirty people right there.

Factor out all the people who don't play Rock Band... and that leaves maybe one student. But still.
    You have to remember we're talking about people who speak fluent Japanese. I took like two Spanish courses during my High School days, and to my experience, it was just remembering a bunch of words. I can never give out a speech fully in Spanish.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Steps you have to take:

1) Wait for RBN to support Japanese as a legal language. Currently it's not in the list: English, Spanish, French, Italian

2) Determine and contact the rights holders to license the original music

3) See if the right holders can find the master recordings

4) Actually author the track

5) Find 8 fluent (generally native) speakers to playtest and Peer Review the track to completion

You should probably wait for Step 1 to happen before worrying about this any longer.

- m
    edited August 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3980470 said:
    You have to remember we're talking about people who speak fluent Japanese. I took like two Spanish courses during my High School days, and to my experience, it was just remembering a bunch of words. I can never give out a speech fully in Spanish.
    Off to California to speak to my Aunt Toshika, then. :)
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    It would be so easy to get native speakers if the creators part wasn't limited to the US. At least for most of the european languages. I would love some german language songs on RBN. It's really the only mayor (western) european language not allowed on RBN... :(
    edited August 2010
    Markleford;3980541 said:
    Steps you have to take:

1) Wait for RBN to support Japanese as a legal language. Currently it's not in the list: English, Spanish, French, Italian

2) Determine and contact the rights holders to license the original music

3) See if the right holders can find the master recordings

4) Actually author the track

5) Find 8 fluent (generally native) speakers to playtest and Peer Review the track to completion

You should probably wait for Step 1 to happen before worrying about this any longer.

- m
    You can of course skip steps 1 and 5 if the song is in English, though. Or instrumental, for that matter. There are plenty of those. But I still think that 2 and 3 are going to be the hardest parts for any song based in foreign multimedia.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited August 2010
    I'd be super excited to work with Japanese language tracks, so I hope that does become available sometime down the line.
  • moomandwwmoomandww Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I'm actually going to start learning Japanese this year as a second language, and i'm a RBN playtester already.

I swear to the RBN community, i will try my hardest and never stop until we have After School Tea Time in RB some way!!!!

I mean think about it. They would be the perfect band for RB3. Keyboards, 3 part harmonies, epic geeta (See what i did thar?) bass and drum parts, and there insanely popular right now in japan and the american anime community.
  • knifes39knifes39 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
  • powertpowert Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    This would be better (imo) Or any other piano song from D.Gray-Man would be good, too. One of my favorite things about the anime is the soundtrack.
  • Razor-of-ZalonRazor-of-Zalon Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    FlyGuyLXI;3980470 said:
    Indeed. I was one of those people that took 4 years of Japanese in high school and I hardly consider myself to be fluent. Most east Asian languages are vastly different from English.

I'd personally love to have some anime music, especially K-ON! I'd love to play the bass for Hokago Tea Time.

I'm kind of surprised Japanese isn't already a legal language in Rockband.