Which Songs seem Official?

jcb231jcb231 Opening Act
edited August 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Of all the RBN songs, which ones are the best made? Ratings alone are hard to go by sometimes....which songs seem indistinguishable from official Harmonix ones in terms of quality?

Comments

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Since I'm not a real chart freak, I could see HMX charting any of them.
    Of course I'm in an extreme minority.
  • kiggidykevkiggidykev Thinks about pandas
    edited August 2010
    I heard that RockGamer makes good charts... ;)
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited August 2010
    About 98-99% of them.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    I have some problems with a few Rock Gamer charts like Wytches but they seem the most official along with the Authority and Rhythm Author songs.

It seems that a few of the independent authors don't put a lot of effort into the drums and I disagree with most of the drum tiering, even from the bigger companies.
  • jcb231jcb231 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    What about some of the more well known things like Flight of the Conchords and such? I'm not so interested in the bands I know nothing about but there are several "name" bands floating around RBN that I'd be interested in downloading....the little samples are often too short to really get a feel for it.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    Check YouTube and decide for yourself.
  • jcb231jcb231 Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;3977924 said:
    Check YouTube and decide for yourself.

God I hate these kinds of answers. Yeah, because I'm going to watch every song out there and analyze the track structure in a crappy Youtube video. There's a whole pool of fans out there who pay close attention to RBN track quality and are experts....asking them is the way to go.
  • Casto21Casto21 Rock and Roll Statistician
    edited August 2010
    There are over 500 RBN songs and you want people to tell you which ones they think are charted/mixed well? Then you ask them to ignore the bands you don't know and give 1 example of a band you do like.

First, everyone's opinion on charts and mixes will differ. You have to judge for yourself, which is what Santa (that feels weird saying) basically said.

Second, it would be more reasonable to ask about specific bands/songs instead of such an open ended question. But you could still get one person saying it sucks and another praising it.
  • aperfectorestesaperfectorestes Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    I think people who don't know the difference won't notice one most of the time.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited August 2010
    i don't have any real issues with any of my purchases. the occasional mistake doesn't bother me so long as it doesn't significantly degrade the experience.

of note, i think the sunny day real estate songs are perfect in every way, though i generally only drum and do vocals.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited August 2010
    jcb231;3977970 said:
    God I hate these kinds of answers. Yeah, because I'm going to watch every song out there and analyze the track structure in a crappy Youtube video. There's a whole pool of fans out there who pay close attention to RBN track quality and are experts....asking them is the way to go.
    Fine then, random internet person. They're all super fantabulously awesome! Totally worth it at twice the price! Buy them all now before you regret it!

Or...take your purchase decisions into your own hands and do the research yourself and quit whining like a little child.

'Wah! I only want to play famous band songs and only if the charts are 'good'! Everybody should tell me what to buy because I'm super lazy! I sure as hell don't want to discover newer, unknown artists because that's just too risky! So tell me what my opinion should be!'
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    jcb231;3977970 said:
    You made it sound like you have specific bands in mind, in which case you could look those specific songs up on youtube, or at least ask about them here.

As people have said, the majority of the charts on RBN are of excellent quality. The only song I know that's generally agreed to have a straight up bad chart is Fat Kid, where the bass and vocals charts are awful and the guitar and drums are flawed, although I still consider those playable (and drums are actually pretty fun).

Besides that, there are some fairly common things that people complain about like riffs with awkward chords (especially in metal songs) and solos with a lot of forced strums in them, although these don't necessarily make the charts bad, just less fun for a lot of people, and Harmonix has certainly done things like this too. There are also some songs where people complain about individual parts (a lot of people say the Henchmen Ride guitar solo is undercharted) or who get really nitpicky about little details. Finally, there are some songs that a lot of people consider to be mixed poorly, with the ones I've heard the most complaints about being some of the Third Eye Blind songs.

Overall, unless you're incredibly nitpicky, you can probably safely download just about anything besides Fat Kid. Most of the songs out there are professional quality, and the ones that aren't are usually close enough that it won't ruin the experience if you like the song.

And I would recommend checking out some of the stuff you've never heard before. Some of it really is quite good.
  • StreamOfNathStreamOfNath Opening Act
    edited August 2010
    Why Bother? - Scratching The Itch

...is a shining example of what every single RBN track should be, from the venue/animations, the charts, the audio quality, etc.