Wd-40

SuperLukerSuperLuker Unsigned
edited September 2010 in Rock Band
Hi, after my brother saw a thread I made earlier, he took advice and sprayed a little bit of WD-40 into the pivot points where his strum bar was, he says he only sprayer a tiny bit in and used the little red nozzle to make sure. He then read that it is NOT good to use WD-40 on electronics and I'm pretty sure I've heard that too.

He brought it over to my place and we've been using it for the past hour, and it still works perfectly..should he be expecting for it to be going down, or does the fact that it is still working now mean it's okay and he was lucky?

Thanks, look forward to hearing your reply.

Comments

• FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited September 2010
    You should have just replied to your other thread...
  • edited September 2010
    I actually have a can of WD40 right at my desk right now. Very strange.

Reading the can it looks like they want you to keep the stuff off of electrical components due to a possibility of inflammation.

If you just sprayed the plastic joints, you are probably fine. If you sprayed the whole thing down, you might want to clean it up.

Though if you need to do this again in the future, there are way better solutions than WD40. Most hardware stores and Radio Shacks have a grease/lubricant section.
  • SuperLukerSuperLuker Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    Apples;3990035 said:
    I actually have a can of WD40 right at my desk right now. Very strange.

Reading the can it looks like they want you to keep the stuff off of electrical components due to a possibility of inflammation.

If you just sprayed the plastic joints, you are probably fine. If you sprayed the whole thing down, you might want to clean it up.

Though if you need to do this again in the future, there are way better solutions than WD40. Most hardware stores and Radio Shacks have a grease/lubricant section.
    What he did was unscrew the faceplate and spray a little bit on each side of the little opening between the strum bar and the side..are those the plastic joints?

What he did was unscrew the faceplate, and sprayed a little bit on each side of the opening between the strum bar and the side.
  • knifes39knifes39 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Apples;3990035 said:

Free pyrotechnics:D
  • edited September 2010
    SuperLuker;3990044 said:
    What he did was unscrew the faceplate and spray a little bit on each side of the little opening between the strum bar and the side..are those the plastic joints?

What he did was unscrew the faceplate, and sprayed a little bit on each side of the opening between the strum bar and the side.
    Depends how much you sprayed. If you used a small amount, it would be localized to the plastic joints on the switch. If you used a lot, it could drip down and into the other components of the guitar, which would be (potentially) damaging.

That's why for this situation you are better off using a grease or a gel lubricant. A liquid can move around and cause problems for you.
    edited September 2010
    Apples;3990062 said:
    Depends how much you sprayed. If you used a small amount, it would be localized to the plastic joints on the switch. If you used a lot, it could drip down and into the other components of the guitar, which would be (potentially) damaging.
    okay, I see, I'm not sure I wasn't there, but he said he sprayed a very small amount and wiped it immediately, if it did drip down, would it have stopped working by now? We have been using it for the past 2 hours problem free
  • ZigZag2005ZigZag2005 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    WD-40 is a petroleum based product. So are most plastics. The former has the tendency to dissolve the latter.

Get some powdered graphite.
  • SequenceFSequenceF Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    SuperLuker;3990012 said:
    Hi, after my brother saw a thread I made earlier, he took advice and sprayed a little bit of WD-40 into the pivot points where his strum bar was, he says he only sprayer a tiny bit in and used the little red nozzle to make sure. He then read that it is NOT good to use WD-40 on electronics and I'm pretty sure I've heard that too.

He brought it over to my place and we've been using it for the past hour, and it still works perfectly..should he be expecting for it to be going down, or does the fact that it is still working now mean it's okay and he was lucky?

Thanks, look forward to hearing your reply.
    Off the top of my head, WD-40 was MADE FOR use on electronics.

WD stands for 'water displacement' and this was the 40th version or something like that.

But from what I gather, it was meant to be sprayed directly onto electronics to prevent water damage.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    ZigZag2005;3990073 said:
    WD-40 is a petroleum based product. So are most plastics. The former has the tendency to dissolve the latter.

When I first read this, I thought you were recommending that he get gunpowder :O
  • DrifterUKDrifterUK Awesome Lake Ninja
    edited September 2010
    ZigZag2005;3990073 said:
    This is what I did, although I got it from scraping a knife along a pencil

Either way it worked perfectly
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2010
    SequenceF;3990218 said:
    Off the top of my head, WD-40 was MADE FOR use on electronics.

WD stands for 'water displacement' and this was the 40th version or something like that.

But from what I gather, it was meant to be sprayed directly onto electronics to prevent water damage.
    WD-40 was developed in the 1950's. There weren't many electronics around back then. You're right in that it was made to prevent corrosion by displacing standing water, but not on electronics. ;)
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I was going to try this, but by the time I got done huffing, I didn't have any wd40 left.
    edited September 2010
    I guess my question is, it has been working for like 7 hours perfectly..in fact the squeaking is much quieter.. is it going to make it? :P
    edited September 2010
    davidshek;3990407 said:
    WD-40 was developed in the 1950's. There weren't many electronics around back then.
    Oh Jesus F'ing Christ....

/FACEPALM
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    SequenceF;3993349 said:
    You called?

Only joking ;)

He can drum, he fills his head with RB3 info but he has never heard of a vacuum tube. Still, he is kind enough to give us noobs some good info on vdrums :D
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited September 2010
    SequenceF;3993349 said:

/FACEPALM
    Should I clarify that further for you? Consumer electronics. Better, princess? Sheesh.
  • monkeyfishmonkeyfish Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    davidshek;3993643 said:
    Should I clarify that further for you? Consumer electronics. Better, princess? Sheesh.
    Gotta admit, you kinda walked right into that one. :D
  • RyoandrRyoandr Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    ZigZag2005;3990073 said:

Also to add, petroleum lubricants are also bad for rubber stuff (fret buttons for exemple).

Suitable lubricants are lithium or silicon greases.
  • bigmfbigmf Tiny Hulk Smash!
    edited September 2010
    Ryoandr;3994367 said:
    Also to add, petroleum lubricants are also bad for rubber stuff (fret buttons for exemple).

It's bad for a number of things that can be used as insulation on wires. Like you might find in a radio. Which was invented Jan. 1 1960. 81% of American households listened to Roosevelt's "Day of Infamy" speech because Roosevelt could yell really loud. :)
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Ryoandr;3994367 said:

"I'm so ugly, but that's okay 'cause so are you"

Oh wait, you're not refering to that Lithium.
  • tammossytammossy Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Apples;3990035 said:

If you could only time it so it bursts into flames at the beginning of a solo....
  • RockbertRockbert Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/function/drives-out-moisture/
    I've used it to dry out electronics (a Korg effects pedal) TWICE after my dog peed on it. You'll be fine; just make sure you wipe it off after use.
  • GodKilla666GodKilla666 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Rockbert;3995625 said:
    http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/function/drives-out-moisture/
    I've used it to dry out electronics (a Korg effects pedal) TWICE after my dog peed on it. You'll be fine; just make sure you wipe it off after use.
    I don't usually wipe after I pee....:eek:
    edited September 2010
    davidshek;3993643 said:
    Again,

/FACEPALM.

No seriously, I am DOUBLE facepalming right now. Please tell me this is some kind of a bad joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_electronics

What do you think people did in the 50s - play with dinosaurs in their caves and find women by hitting them over the head with a club?

Record players,
    Televisions,
    Movie projectors,
    TELEPHONES,
    etc

.....are all consumer electronics.

I'm going to sit in a corner and cry over the downfall of western civilization.