A Journey into TB:RB's code, unearthing secrets and more!

boblybobboblybob Opening Act
edited September 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Recently decided to dump my wii version of TB:RB (Which is perfectly legal if you own it!) and take a peek inside.

First thing I notice in the directory that holds the character models is quite suprising, right in between Birthday and Can't Buy Me Love.

birthday.milo_wii
blackbird.milo_wii
cantbuymelove.milo_wii

Gasp? I think so, the weird thing is it's in the folders for George, John, and Ringo, when it's a Paul solo song.

There's the normal ones: Rooftop, Cavern, Shea, etc.
BUT then there's a folder for Revolver, which is weird since Yellow Submarine is the only Revolver song in the game that's in the studio.

Taxman and And Your Bird Can Sing use the Budokan files.

I've heard rumors from a friend close to Abbey Road, that Revolver has it's multitracks separated and waiting at EMI and was licensed at the same time as Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, and Rubber Soul. And they were waiting to see what came of sales.

3 clothes folders for Pepper, which is probably for Fixing a Hole and the others. A folder after '69 title "Straw", wonder what that could be, than again, can't view anything __wii, so who knows?

Another clothes folder titled "Love", is it for the remix album? REALLY wish I could view these. And nearly every folder has an export folder, hmmm.

Next in the models is the "Instrument" folder, which has a massive assortment of guitars, looking some of the names up, most aren't even featured in the game. Such as the Jose Ramierz acoustic, which was only used on "And I Love Her" and "I Need You" I think.

And John's Framus 12-string, used on "Help!" and "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away". There are upwards of 30 guitars in the folder, and 8 basses, 8 Pianos (Including the Challen, Paperback Writer was the only on-disc song to use it, and that's in a live venue in-game, as well as a Vox Continental, pretty sure I never seen it in-game), and 2 drum kits, a Premier and a Ludwig, I'm not sure if I've seen the Premier in-game either, I know Ringo had one circa '61-'62, but not sure after that.

10 folders for EMI/Abbey Road Studios, one is default, before the dreamscapes kick in, the rest is just Harrison Hill, the Field, the Ocean, etc...

But now there, it seems to be another curious folder, "Greenscreen", upon opening, shows about 40 files, containing various files "Lucy's kaleidoscope effects, Within You's psychedelic haze, etc."

BUT, again, there is one by the name of "releanor.milo_wii", wonder what song that could be? :rolleyes:

THEN, in the textures sub-folder of the same directory, "rigby_city01.png_wii". Maybe they're planning/planned an elaborate dreamscape for Eleanor Rigby? Similar to She's Leaving Home by the city title perhaps? Again, if I could open .png_wii files, I could share the dreamscape with you, but alas.

Next is another peculiar one, "space_gas_01.png_wii", haven't noticed any sort of space gas in game, "Across the Universe" anybody? Also found models titled "Earth", "Stars" and "Nebula", so that could back it up, maybe the Beatles playing with the solar system rotating around them?

Bunch of other effects, Oil splotches, various Vine and other foliage, Dust, Fog, Flames (When where there flames in game? Seems a tad angry ;))

Old film and film grain effects (Honey Pie please!), and a lot of bird, rays, and Indian effects.

Next folder (actually, it's more like 6) I stumble into, is a handful of folders known as "performancespace". (The stage area in When I'm Sixty Four, Girl, and Revolution) One is actually titled "performancespace02rev".

"performancespace04" is interesting, filled with different effects not seen in the 3 stages on disc. It has Gobos (Colored and shaped light projections), a "banner pole" and a "jack flag", probably go together to make a complete flag. One performance stage with a flower setup, and another complete with fog and flares. (It's performancespace02, the Revolution dreamscape has the same title folder, but with rev at the end of 02, maybe for Revolution 1? or 9?)

But I'm still sifting through the textures folder!
This one, is titled "shared", probably for more then one venue, first I go into "Birds", and find a crow model, hmmm, would go hand in hand I think with Blackbird.

Distortion maps: rain (Probably for WMGGW, but could be for the song "Rain"), sound waves (Keep seeing this mentioned, could it be the pulses on Ringo's drums in Come Together?), and underwater.

More "gobos" (Colored lights that project shapes, like the soldiers in Revolution), see the allright file from Revolution as well as it's soldier and fist, about 10 various "explosion" files, a factory, and a peace sign which is probably also from Revolution.

It contains sound samples for Violins and a model for a Chamberlin. (Note: this is separate from the pianos the Beatles play, which are in the instruments folder, which in turn, is in the Characters folder)

It also contains a readme file

"The purpose of this file is simply to document the samples.

Neither the game nor milo care about this file. Consider this a "readme" file for the instrument.
"

Hmmmm.

Comments

• gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Keys and pro mode won't be done without an engine overhaul. But the other stuff you found was really cool. Kind of like how they started with mo-capping for Norwegian Wood before the game was released.

What program(s) did you use to open and view these files?
  • boblybobboblybob Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    gamegyro56;3994191 said:
    Keys and pro mode won't be done without an engine overhaul.
    Which is what a separate game/expansion pack combined with the export data would do.

The only problem, though, is how to do it and not cause an uproar over selling out.
  • ForeverBeatlesForeverBeatles Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    I believe they were thinking ahead. HMX has stated they started working on Keyboard (Im not sure about Pro Mode though) when Rock Band 2 was released (September 14, 2008) I mean the paths between Making keyboard and developing TB:RB must have crossed. I'm sure they wouldn't released TB:RB without Let It Be or Hey Jude unless they had Keyboards in mind. Also the only way they could have keyboard without a major overhaul is if the dreamscapes and characters were exportable into Rock Band 3.
    And nearly every folder has an export folder, hmmm.
    Coincidence? Hope not
  • BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    boblybob;3994178 said:

BUT, again, there is one by the name of "releanor.milo_wii", wonder what song that could be? :rolleyes:

THEN, in the textures sub-folder of the same directory, "rigby_city01.png_wii". Maybe they're planning/planned an elaborate dreamscape for Eleanor Rigby? Similar to She's Leaving Home by the city title perhaps? Again, if I could open .png_wii files, I could share the dreamscape with you, but alas..

It's OBVIOUS that they used the idea of Eleanor Rigby from Yellow Submarine to create that dreamscape...
  • Shadowkiller11Shadowkiller11 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Certainly intriguing but to be fair many features and additions are always scrapped in a gaming development cycle. But still this might mean they don't have to spent as much time creating textures and effects etc if they do release extra DLC. I think if this gets locked then it might help crediblity.
  • robbieconrobbiecon Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Interesting discoveries. Of course, one could argue that some of the files have already been used. For example the Blackbird file may have actually been used for Her Majesty, where it is only Paul in the studio. Admittedly I don't kow why it would be under the other Beatles folders.

As for the instruments, I guess HMX wanted to have all options open and decided to develop graphics for all instruments. That way they would already be there, if required.

I think HMX probably has a lot of things on disc which was simply for a "What if?"
    in case they chose to put certain songs in.

One thing I have certainly heard in game, when playing a song numerous times in a row (mainly Her Majesty) is that small sound bites from the White Album, such as Martha, My Dear are playing when it's loading the song up for a replay. So they would have definitely been included either on disc, or with the DLC as added loading soundclips. (please note the soundclips are heard within the actual song, the camera shows the switchboard room (or whatever it's called)) and then it goes into the studio, where Paul does his thing.
  • RetroGamingRetroGaming Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    The majority of the content has to be on disc for the DLC to work. Then they just have to reference those files when they release DLC, as opposed to including it in the DLC. This helps make the size of the DLC manageable. Basically all the dreamscapes use dreamscape elements already present on the disc, though not all of these elements are used in the on-disc songs. (For example: You can probably find the "She's Leaving Home" outfits on the disc, too, even though they are not used on disc.)

Really, all this helps us see is what Harmonix has/had planned for the game. The existence of the Revolver folder coincides with what they said about the last album being a toss-up between Revolver and Rubber Soul, and it seems that this would be the easiest album to release if they plan to do anymore DLC. However, they seem to have adequately planned for everything overall with the inclusion of so many guitars for the first five albums and data for "Blackbird" from the white album (I don't think it's a stretch to say that Magical Mystery Tour/the white album would tend to "reuse" effects, rather than require new ones). They really tried to cover all the fronts, which is interesting.
  • BlueJayGuyBlueJayGuy Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    robbiecon;3994459 said:

One thing I have certainly heard in game, when playing a song numerous times in a row (mainly Her Majesty) is that small sound bites from the White Album, such as Martha, My Dear are playing when it's loading the song up for a replay. So they would have definitely been included either on disc, or with the DLC as added loading soundclips. (please note the soundclips are heard within the actual song, the camera shows the switchboard room (or whatever it's called)) and then it goes into the studio, where Paul does his thing.

I think that the bit of Her Majesty (when the song is loading) is from Blackbird and Mother Nature's Son.

Heres it's Mother Nature's Son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkVziQC3Uo

They are clever, because Mother Nature's Son and Her Majesty begin with the same chord

-2------
    --3-----
    -2------
    0-------
    0-------
    0-------

You can hear it better in the Anthology version of MN'sS. Paul speaking inclusive.

They use Sexy Sadie takes, too.

Here is a list of the songs they used to do the loading screen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIN6Sk5q2FI
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    This is pretty good finds. But honestly, i think they made some Revolver stuff, because as they said, the choice was to either release Rubber Soul or Revolver, and we all know what came out of that decision.
    But it gives some hope.
  • TheSituationTheSituation Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    I personally think there is going to be some kind of export to RB3. That way we can get songs like Let it Be, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields with Keys. Well just have to wait and see.
  • robbieconrobbiecon Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    BlueJayGuy;3994526 said:
    I think that the bit of Her Majesty (when the song is loading) is from Blackbird and Mother Nature's Son.

Heres it's Mother Nature's Son:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZkVziQC3Uo

They are clever, because Mother Nature's Son and Her Majesty begin with the same chord

-2------
    --3-----
    -2------
    0-------
    0-------
    0-------

You can hear it better in the Anthology version of MN'sS. Paul speaking inclusive.

They use Sexy Sadie takes, too.

Here is a list of the songs they used to do the loading screen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIN6Sk5q2FI
    That makes good sense that Mother Nature's Son is used, seeing as it's the same first chord. Pretty good idea too.

I knew I'd heard Sexy Sadie too at some stage.

Thanks for the link to the studio chatter featured in game too.
  • CheeseLordCheeseLord Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    This is to high tech for me, but it seems like you stumbled across something worth-while. Esspecailly the unused instruments.
  • jamzftwjamzftw Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I have a Wii version of the game! Where is all this stuff?
  • boblybobboblybob Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    jamzftw;3995487 said:
    Well it's possible for any version of the game really.

Just need the right tools.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
  • Wave57Wave57 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I would like to see if anyone would do this with the Ps3 and Xbox360 versions of the game. And see what the differences and similarities are.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    jamzftw;3995487 said:
    If you have to ask, you probably won't be able to do it.
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    jamzftw;3995487 said:
    google. If you ever made a Custom GH Disc before RB came out (So what, close to 5 yrs ago now? I believe I made my first Custom GH disc then w/the power rangers theme & hotel California, and dragonforce & other random stuff that wasn't on GH at the time), you learned how to do most of this stuff.

Or better yet, check out the scorehero.com forums. They have all that info.
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    TheSituation;3995117 said:
    I personally think there is going to be some kind of export to RB3.
    Do not get hopes up on this. What I suspect is that HMX have a game engine structure, what you could call a template. This template is used for all RB games, where parts of it are used or not. Imagine these fictional example folders...

Songs
    Instrument Models
    Character Models
    Stage Models
    Backgrounds
    Loading Screens
    Sound Effects
    Export Data

Now apply them to GD:RB, Track Packs 1+2, RB2, RB1 and TB:RB. Why bother to remove a folder called 'Export Data' from a copied template.

I am not saying that there will never be an export, just giving a reason as to why there maybe an export folder.
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    All this is pretty cool, but I don't know, I'm on both sides of the hill :D
  • CaptainHarlockCaptainHarlock Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    TheSituation;3995117 said:
    I personally think there is going to be some kind of export to RB3. That way we can get songs like Let it Be, Hey Jude, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields with Keys. Well just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't count on it. More than likely Harmonix and EA would have signed an "exclusivity" (would that even be the right term?) deal to keep The Beatles catalog segregated from the rest of the Rock Band game library. Many have held out hope for exporting The Beatles songs to another Rock Band game, I really don't think it's even a remote possibility.
  • JcFTW61JcFTW61 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    My idea for export. after the press start screen it'll say pick RB3 or Beatles like two differnt choices on the menu you pick one and it loads the game respictivley that way you could play the game with it's avatars while to having to switch discs. Awh well they may say im a dreamer...
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited September 2010
    JcFTW61;3996747 said:
    My idea for export. after the press start screen it'll say pick RB3 or Beatles like two differnt choices on the menu you pick one and it loads the game respictivley that way you could play the game with it's avatars while to having to switch discs. Awh well they may say im a dreamer...
    That would be an extremely large download file.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    That could get annoying. I would think a Beatles mode under options would work best.
  • MaRkiSHMaRkiSH Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Surely the space gas is from the end of A Day In The Life? Edit: Also there was a globe in Revolution right? Wouldn't that be the 'Earth'?
  • JcFTW61JcFTW61 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    yeah it would be it'd screw the wii. which means its perfectly plausable
  • DaytrippedDaytripped Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Award for most Interesting Thread goes to....THIS ONE. :D
  • PleasePleaseMeatPleasePleaseMeat Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    This was a really interesting read, great find.

Hopefully someone with the right tools can have a look at the PS3/360 versions to see what's in them.
  • jedicmsjedicms Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    This is some very interesting stuff. I'm curious how you did this.
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Kudos to you for uncovering this. Hopefully HMX will respond.