TTLG Battle N#1: Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd

TheTopListsGuyTheTopListsGuy Opening Act
edited October 2010 in History of Rock
[CENTER]A series of mine, since I have a few Band vs. Band threads planned for you. I can guarantee you that the battles will all be balanced, i am not going to do battles like The Beatles vs. Jonas Brothers, The Rolling Stones vs. Tokio Hotel, etc. Well, let's start!!![/CENTER]

[CENTER]TTLG Battle N#1:
Led Zeppelin vs. Pink Floyd[/CENTER]

[CENTER]image image
[/CENTER]

Why?...

I started this battle because this is, basically, me vs. my father xD I prefer one and my father prefers the other (not going to reveal here), and the battle is pretty balanced: Two of the most influential, unique, overral two of the greatest bands in music history!

About the bands...

Led Zeppelin is the band that's responsible for the creation of the genre "Heavy Metal". Although the genre was created with the help of other bands like Black Sabbath, it's a known fact that there would be no heavy metal without Led Zeppelin. They are widely considered as the Gods of Metal, and they really are!

The most amazing thing about Led Zeppelin is that they are probably the most varied rock band of all time. Zeppelin were influenced mostly by blues, but you can notice almost every genre known to man on their songs. They created a perfect mix between classic rock n' roll with blues, jazz and other musical styles to create their unique sound!

The biggest hardship Led Zeppelin faced was the tragic death of their drummer, John Bonham (25 September 1980), who inhaled his own vomit after forty shots of vodka, causing asphyxiation. The other members knew they couldn't move on without "Bonzo", so the band ended soon after his death. John Bonham has been widely acclaimed as one of the greatest drummers of all time!

Pink Floyd is the band that's responsible for the creation of the genre "Progressive Rock". Pink Floyd was the most original band of it's time, and one of the most original of all time, mainly because they created the genre single-handedly (even though their sound was influenced by older genres). No other artist had a sound that even came close to sounding like Pink Floyd!

The most amazing thing about Pink Floyd is that they kept their quality for more than 15 years. Since their first album to "The Wall", Pink Floyd had the same quality and never went downhill from album to album which is extremely rare to happen to rock bands. A band that had it's "up's", but also a band that never had it's "down's"!

The biggest hardship Pink Floyd faced was the exclusion of their founding member and first lead singer Syd Barret (7 July 2006). The other band members often cited his behaviour as very unusual and unconfortable, Syd was also a drug addict, and they decided to exclude him. The band moved on, and they made a tribute album to the founding member called "Wish You Were Here"!

Material...

According to me and my father, this is the greatest material from these bands:

Songs:

Led Zeppelin's greatest songs:
1º - "Stairway to Heaven", Led Zeppelin IV (1971)
2º - "Whole Lotta Love", Led Zeppelin II (1969)
3º - "Kashmir", Physical Graffiti (1975)
4º - "The Rain Song", Houses of the Holy (1973)
5º - "Dazed and Confused", Led Zeppelin I (1968)

Pink Floyd's greatest songs:
1º - "Shine on You Crazy Diamond", Wish You Were Here (1975)
2º - "Comfortably Numb", The Wall (1979)
3º - "Wish You Were Here", Wish You Were Here (1975)
4º - "Another Brick in The Wall", The Wall (1979)
5º - "Time", Dark Side of the Moon (1973)

Albums:

Led Zeppelin's greatest albums:
1º - "Led Zeppelin I", (1968)
2º - "Led Zeppelin IV", (1971)
3º - "Led Zeppelin II", (1969)

Pink Floyd's greatest albums:
1º - "Dark Side of the Moon", (1973)
2º - "The Wall", (1979)
3º - "Wish You Were Here", (1975)

[CENTER]LET THE BATTLE START!!![/CENTER]

These bands made history, but it's almost impossible to tell which one was more relevant to music. They were both essential to music after the 60's and to this day! Soooo...LET THE BATTLE START!!!

[RIGHT]Battle created by TTLG (TheTopListsGuy)
July, 25th 2010
[/RIGHT]

Comments

• acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    So do we just vote or something?
  • Sargehalo51Sargehalo51 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Since there is no poll up as of yet...

I give Zep one vote.
  • TheTopListsGuyTheTopListsGuy Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Sorry, forgot to add poll xD

Please people, start voting!
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited September 2010
    blues-rock/folk-rock versus space rock/psychedelic rock

I fail to see the comparisons.

also lol @ unique for Zeppelin
    it's a known fact that there would be no heavy metal without Led Zeppelin.
    This is actually incorrect, while yes hard rock bands of the 60s and 70s are vital to heavy metal-- if one band hit the basis of heavy metal, it was probably Black Sabbath or Sir Lord Baltimore (the latter which was actually called the term on their debut). Led Zeppelin influenced heavy/power metal acts but they are hardly the godfather of metal that those ignorant to other bands and the evolution of the term so deem.
    the most varied rock band of all time
    They covered blues-rock, hard rock and folk rock, hardly varied. They also tried some attempts, but they completely failed at it unlike others (funk for example).
    you can notice almost every genre known to man
    Wrong.
    Pink Floyd is the band that's responsible for the creation of the genre "Progressive Rock".
    Except progressive rock predates Pink Floyd.
    mainly because they created the genre single-handedly
    Wrong.
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    Gowienczyk;3998179 said:
    blues-rock/folk-rock versus space rock/psychedelic rock

I fail to see the comparisons.

This is actually incorrect, while yes hard rock bands of the 60s and 70s are vital to heavy metal-- if one band hit the basis of heavy metal, it was probably Black Sabbath or Sir Lord Baltimore (the latter which was actually called the term on their debut). Led Zeppelin influenced heavy/power metal acts but they are hardly the godfather of metal that those ignorant to other bands and the evolution of the term so deem.

They covered blues-rock, hard rock and folk rock, hardly varied. They also tried some attempts, but they completely failed at it unlike others (funk for example).

Wrong.

Except progressive rock predates Pink Floyd.

Wrong.
    Agree with Gowie

Wasn't this done before when Julio hosted these and Pink Floyd won?

That said Pink Floyd easily beats Zeppelin for me because I can tolerate some of Zeppelin's albums, but really only like their first one, while Floyd I dig and they did a bit for the Space Rock genre :)
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
  • edited September 2010
  • Mega-TallicaMega-Tallica Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    Had to go with Led Zep.
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Went with Zep, just have more appeal to me.
  • thedoorsdkthedoorsdk Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Zep.
    I find Pink Floyd painfully dull outside of Piper.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    "piper at the gates" tops zep's entire discog in my book.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    As much as I love Pink Floyd, I'm going with Zep because they're my favorite band of all time. They, along with Black Sabbath and Deep Purple, were one of heavy metal's prime influences (of course, there are several others, but those three are probably the most major).

That, and much like The Beatles, they put their own spin on different genres, from the folk-sounding "That's the Way" to the funk-rock blend of "The Crunge" and "Trampled Under Foot" to the country sound of "Hot Dog". They also had some of the greatest musicians on the planet. Robert Plant is my favorite vocalist, John Bonham is my favorite drummer, and Jimmy Page is my favorite guitarist. Not to mention, John Paul Jones is a very versatile musician.

I could go on about my adoration of Jimmy Page forever, since he was not limited to just being the band's guitarist. He was more or less their leader. Without him, Zeppelin wouldn't have half of the riffs they wrote, let alone exist. Not to mention, he was just as brilliant a producer as he was a guitarist. He basically invented the backwards echo technique and he revolutionized the art of recording.

Not to mention, Zeppelin were an untamed beast live. Everything about their shows were awesome: the extended jams, the raw energy, the stage effects, the guitar (bowed and regular), theremin, keyboard, and drum solos, and their acoustic sets. They were one of the most popular live acts of their time, and with good reason.

So in closing, as much as I love Pink Floyd and what they did for progressive rock, Zeppelin, in my opinion, are a bit more, if not much more, influential to rock music as a whole.

Edit: Also, OP, I agree that Led Zeppelin is their best album.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    I hate both these bands so much
  • HizakiHizaki Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I object to the loaded question of the poll.
  • mason95mason95 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Which one is the greatest band?
    I like the wording of this question.

It's not, "What band is better, or greater," or "What band do you like more?" It's "Which one is the greatest band," like only Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd can be the greatest band ever. Well, what if we think neither of those are the greatest band? What if I thought the Beatles are the greatest band ever. I don't see an option for the Beatles. Some of you reading this may not agree with me, and that's fine, but the reason there's a poll is to ask me what I think is the greatest band ever, and I don't think either of those bands are the greatest band ever in my opinion. A lot of people here probably think that neither of those bands are the greatest band ever. The question should have said, "Which one is the greatest band, out of these two?" That would have made more sense.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, and I probably am.

btw i like pink floyd more so I chose that one.
  • neckermanncjneckermanncj Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    mason95;3998634 said:
    I like the wording of this question.

It's not, "What band is better, or greater," or "What band do you like more?" It's "Which one is the greatest band," like only Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd can be the greatest band ever. Well, what if we think neither of those are the greatest band? What if I thought the Beatles are the greatest band ever. I don't see an option for the Beatles. Some of you reading this may not agree with me, and that's fine, but the reason there's a poll is to ask me what I think is the greatest band ever, and I don't think either of those bands are the greatest band ever in my opinion. A lot of people here probably think that neither of those bands are the greatest band ever. The question should have said, "Which one is the greatest band, out of these two?" That would have made more sense.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into this, and I probably am.

btw i like pink floyd more so I chose that one.
    +10000000000000

you're definitely not
  • mason95mason95 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    neckermanncj;3998645 said:
    +10000000000000

you're definitely not
    Well, now I know that my time writing that wasn't wasted.
  • edited September 2010
    mason95;3998647 said:
    Well, now I know that my time writing that wasn't wasted.
    I was thinking the exact same thing.

+2
  • milesrosemilesrose Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Pink Floyd wins in my mind.
    edited September 2010
    neckermanncj;3998596 said:
    -Infinity
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Ok before Sabbath, Zep, whatever there was Gun, High Tide, and other 60s heavy metal acts. I like how we can make up history.
  • JglaubmanJglaubman Headliner
    edited September 2010
    It's OK, they have bands for stupid people too.

I voted for Floyd.
    edited September 2010
    Then you should just stick with your Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Justin Bieber...because they're better right?...right?

C'mon people, please vote more so that I can win against my father xD
  • edited September 2010
    You're lucky you got this many votes. These are very old debates. VERY OLD.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    TheTopListsGuy;3999804 said:
    Then you should just stick with your Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Justin Bieber...because they're better right?...right?

Okay, that was pretty immature right there. Just because a guy doesn't like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd means they have a bad taste in music?
    edited September 2010
    TheTopListsGuy;3999804 said:

You really know nothing about the people who post at HoR do you?
    Also Gaga is freaking great.
    edited September 2010
    sonicnerd23;3999813 said:
    Okay, that was pretty immature right there. Just because a guy doesn't like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd means they have a bad taste in music?
    So you do agree that Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Justin Bieber is bad music? Because if you do, then you're pretty much immature too with everyone who likes them...

And it was a joke, the comment above mine was a real offense...
  • FizzelerFizzeler Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    TheTopListsGuy;3999826 said:
    So you do agree that Lady Gaga, Ke$ha and Justin Bieber is bad music? Because if you do, then you're pretty much immature too with everyone who likes them...

And it was a joke, the comment above mine was a real offense...
    because expressing your opinions on two bands is so offensive :rolleyes:

oh and what is wrong with Lady GaGa may I ask?

If it wasn't for Zeppelin's debut I could never stomach their music for more than a few songs now anyway
    edited September 2010
    hiimSMAP;3999825 said:
    You really know nothing about the people who post at HoR do you?
    Also Gaga is freaking great.
    I don't know what HoR is...sorry for the n00bish answer xD

And...eh...yeah, sure she is...xD
    edited September 2010
    Fizzeler;3999827 said:
    because expressing your opinions on two bands is so offensive :rolleyes:

oh and what is wrong with Lady GaGa may I ask?

If it wasn't for Zeppelin's debut I could never stomach their music for more than a few songs now anyway
    Eh...ABOVE MINE! The comment above the comment I made about Lady Gaga and stuff...not the one about who said hated both bands...