The Motorcycle Thread

whofanwhofan Headliner
edited June 2013 in Less Rokk More Talk
This thread is for all of the motorcyclists on this board (If there are any).

Let us know who you are, how long you've been riding, what you ride and any funny/informative stories you might have!

I actually just bought a Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Blue), but I haven't picked it up yet due to an ongoing spat with the SAAQ (the licencing authority in Quebec). I hope to have it resolved soon and on my bike before too long. I have been riding for less than a year now.

Comments

• Banky71Banky71 Banned on the Run (Live)
    edited September 2010
    Chopped shovelhead that leaks oil. It's slow and loud. over 20 years of riding.
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    Oh - you wanted funny stories - here's one:

A couple of years ago, I was on my scooter waiting at a light when a grizzled old biker on a beat up Harley (could've been Banky) pulled up next to me and gave my bike the once-over.

He asked me if it was a Vespa, I told him yes, a modern one. He got all excited and told me his first bike back in the 60s was a Vespa and started getting all nostalgic about riding it up and down the street when he was a kid. (this was a very long light).

A woman in a minivan pulled up next to us, looked over the biker and directly at me and shouted, "Get a Harley!" The biker looked at her and said, "I got one! What kind do you ride?" The woman rolled up her window and locked the door.

Then, the light changed, she sped away, the biker shrugged his shoulders at me, and we rode our separate ways.
    edited September 2010
    Did the guys bike leak oil? Did he have a helmet with a steel spike in top??
    edited September 2010
    Don't all old Harleys leak oil? As for the spike, I don't remember - he may have been wearing one of those Yamaka helmets.
    edited September 2010
    Emalythe;4004089 said:
    Don't all old Harleys leak oil? As for the spike, I don't remember - he may have been wearing one of those Yamaka helmets.
    I know shovelheads do. There is no way to stop it as far as I can tell.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Banky71;4004094 said:
    I know shovelheads do. There is no way to stop it as far as I can tell.
    That's most Harley's between 66 and 84 then. Good to know.
    edited September 2010
    I just like to pretend I am marking my territory.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Banky71;4004143 said:
    I just like to pretend I am marking my territory.
    Well, that's one way to look at it.
    edited September 2010
    I've been told by classic bike fans that my Triumph isn't authentic because it doesn't leak and it starts up on the first try.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Emalythe;4004195 said:
    I've been told by classic bike fans that my Triumph isn't authentic because it doesn't leak and it starts up on the first try.
    My uncle was telling me some horror stories about his old Triumph bike. Hence the reason why I stayed away from them when I was looking at bikes in the first place.
    edited September 2010
    Modern Triumphs are built by a different factory - I'm extremely happy with mine.
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited September 2010
    I've owned numerous bikes in my day. My last was a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750....then my 3rd kid came around...sold it had to grow up...bought a minivan. :(

Funny story:

I was at a bar one night and was asked to come over "watch movies" after closing time. We walk outside and she's very surprised to see me getting on a motorcycle. (FYI, I was sober). Anyway, I decided to show off a little and pop a wheelie past her. Unfortunately, it was a very warm night in Arizona and over a mile up, so I didn't give it enough gas and ended up just speeding by her at about 120 (yea, stupid I know). So she flashed her lights at me. Shortly after, more flashing lights...cop...busted!

Cop asked what the hurry was and I told him straight up that I was showing off to a girl. Well after the normal license, registration, proof of insurance stuff, he comes back and gives me a "Waste of finite resources" ticket (basically wasting gas) and told me he was going light on me since I didn't bull**** him.

Well, I pull up to her house, she looks at me and says, "Who'd you have to blow to get out of that? I figured you'd be in jail!"

That girl..now my wife! :)
  • AxlVanHagarAxlVanHagar Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    This is my first season riding. After wanting to learn to ride for years I finally pulled the trigger in July. Took a course, passed the test and got my license. Bought a 2003 Honda Shadow ACE 750. Gonna hate having to give it up for the winter I've really enjoyed riding so far. More than I figured I would.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Jixzer;4004771 said:
    I've owned numerous bikes in my day. My last was a 2007 Suzuki GSX-R 750....then my 3rd kid came around...sold it had to grow up...bought a minivan. :(

Funny story:

I was at a bar one night and was asked to come over "watch movies" after closing time. We walk outside and she's very surprised to see me getting on a motorcycle. (FYI, I was sober). Anyway, I decided to show off a little and pop a wheelie past her. Unfortunately, it was a very warm night in Arizona and over a mile up, so I didn't give it enough gas and ended up just speeding by her at about 120 (yea, stupid I know). So she flashed her lights at me. Shortly after, more flashing lights...cop...busted!

Cop asked what the hurry was and I told him straight up that I was showing off to a girl. Well after the normal license, registration, proof of insurance stuff, he comes back and gives me a "Waste of finite resources" ticket (basically wasting gas) and told me he was going light on me since I didn't bull**** him.

Well, I pull up to her house, she looks at me and says, "Who'd you have to blow to get out of that? I figured you'd be in jail!"

That girl..now my wife! :)
    Ha ha!

See, these are the kinds of things that I want to hear. I've always heard that the motorcycling community was a great one, and finally wanted in. I can't wait to get on my bike and just ride. Soon, hopefully, if the stupid SAAQ doesn't keep throwing up roadblocks in my way. And I thought the Ministry of Transportation in Ontario was bad!
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    I did not know there was such thing as a "waste of finite resources" ticket. what an environmentally-savvy cop

anyways, I broke my ankle on a bike two Novembers ago, and haven't been able to get back on one since.
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Dante1847;4005970 said:
    I did not know there was such thing as a "waste of finite resources" ticket. what an environmentally-savvy cop

anyways, I broke my ankle on a bike two Novembers ago, and haven't been able to get back on one since.
    That really sucks. There are a lot of inherent risks with riding bikes unfortunately. I know that's what scared the hell out of my Ex, and the reason why she barred me from riding.
  • Lakers_Fan_24Lakers_Fan_24 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    02 Yamaha R1 and 02 honda cr250r

Sold a 95' Suzuki dr650 enduro, 04 honda crf250 and 00 Yamaha yz125

My 02 Yamaha yz250 was stolen, then bought the honda 250r.

Been riding since my 1st mini bike in 1979. Riding MX tracks since 00 and trail riding since 95.

• animemetalheadanimemetalhead Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Well, I just got started riding, mostly dirt bikes and 4-wheelers. I'm hoping to pick up an enduro at some point. At this point, the most powerful thing I've ridden is a Honda TRX250R, but I live with a motorcycle mechanic, I get to test ride anything I help fix :)
    edited September 2010
    animemetalhead;4007083 said:
    Well, I just got started riding, mostly dirt bikes and 4-wheelers. I'm hoping to pick up an enduro at some point. At this point, the most powerful thing I've ridden is a Honda TRX250R, but I live with a motorcycle mechanic, I get to test ride anything I help fix :)
    Kinda scary.... I hope I don't get your mechanic :D I'd be pissed off if I saw someone riding my bike. If I was a Harley guy, other actions would be taken.
    edited September 2010
    He doesn't work for a shop, he just takes jobs from friends and people he knew when he worked for dealerships (Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, specifically.)
  • bubblegumpopbubblegumpop Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I work in the largest harley davidson in the world...does that count?:p
  • edited September 2010
    I've been riding for 25 years, started out on a Honda 350, got a Kawasaki EX500, then a Kawasaki 750 Turbo, had a Hurricane didn't like it, had a few more but now I ride a dirt bike Yamaha WR450F.
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited September 2010
    Well, been riding since I was 15... so, I have been riding for a long while. Indian was my favorite bike, but now I am on a Harley Fatboy. Since I bought the boathouse three years ago, however, I am not riding nearly as much. Heck, I only live five minutes from work now and hate to take the Harley to work for such a short ride so I always take the cage instead.

Used to go to the Daytona and Myrtle Beach bike rallies every year. Havn’t done that in about four years now. That is a long assed ride from Bristol to Daytona. Still have not made it to Sturgis… one of these days…

The Stripped Snake is a great ride… so is The Dragon. The Snake goes right by the lake where my boathouse is, so we get a lot of friends stopping by during the weekends for a quick visit. US421 for those wondering. Over 400 curves in 12 miles. Yeah, I ride a cruiser, but I have seen those crazy youngsters flying around those curves. I have seen several twisted up worse than their bikes too. The wall of shame is located at the store: http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page9.html Everyone stops at the Country Store.

The Dragon is more famous, but the Snake is just as fun…

But, anyway, I have not riden at all this year...
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Sayburr;4008905 said:
    Well, been riding since I was 15... so, I have been riding for a long while. Indian was my favorite bike, but now I am on a Harley Fatboy. Since I bought the boathouse three years ago, however, I am not riding nearly as much. Heck, I only live five minutes from work now and hate to take the Harley to work for such a short ride so I always take the cage instead.

Used to go to the Daytona and Myrtle Beach bike rallies every year. Havn’t done that in about four years now. That is a long assed ride from Bristol to Daytona. Still have not made it to Sturgis… one of these days…

The Stripped Snake is a great ride… so is The Dragon. The Snake goes right by the lake where my boathouse is, so we get a lot of friends stopping by during the weekends for a quick visit. US421 for those wondering. Over 400 curves in 12 miles. Yeah, I ride a cruiser, but I have seen those crazy youngsters flying around those curves. I have seen several twisted up worse than their bikes too. The wall of shame is located at the store: http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page9.html Everyone stops at the Country Store.

The Dragon is more famous, but the Snake is just as fun…

But, anyway, I have not riden at all this year...
    Yeah, young'uns can get really stupid on sports bikes (older people too, but they generally have learned their lesson by that point) and take turns too quickly (thinking they're invincible), weave in and out/in between traffic, etc.
  • Dante1847Dante1847 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    most underrated bike is the Honda VFR-800 Interceptor...technically a sport-touring bike but that engine will kick it. plus it's one of the few sport bikes that can fit a guy my height comfortably
    edited September 2010
    My dad's talking about getting a Yamaha R6, he mentioned an R1 but decided he didn't want to die on the way home from the dealership ;)
    edited September 2010
    animemetalhead;4011048 said:
    My dad's talking about getting a Yamaha R6, he mentioned an R1 but decided he didn't want to die on the way home from the dealership ;)
    LOL. Even though the R6 is a 600, it has a lot of balls.

The first hour I got my R1, I was going down the 101 freeway (LA) and saw some morons swerving in front of me. Down shifted and punched it to get away from them and before I knew it, I was going 157mph. I pulled over onto the shoulder, pulled out a cigarette and was shaking from fear like a motherF***ER !!!!! I have much respect for the R1....

I recently moved from LA to Florida and don't ride much. Rains everyday here :(
  • edited September 2010
    Lakers_Fan_24;4011415 said:
    LOL. Even though the R6 is a 600, it has a lot of balls.

The first hour I got my R1, I was going down the 101 freeway (LA) and saw some morons swerving in front of me. Down shifted and punched it to get away from them and before I knew it, I was going 157mph. I pulled over onto the shoulder, pulled out a cigarette and was shaking from fear like a motherF***ER !!!!! I have much respect for the R1....

I recently moved from LA to Florida and don't ride much. Rains everyday here :(
    That's kind of what happened to me, I jumped on my new Hurricane and pulled the throttle a little bit and was at the end of the street leaving two black stripes before I could say it or do it! I didn't want to play with it any more!
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    My Dad's had them since I was about 7 or 8. He started off with a Yamaha R6, then he got an R1 and since about 2007/8 he's had a Harley Davidson Softail. I loved them all, got my own gear.

Just a question to people here, would you recommend learning to ride a motorbike before learning to drive a car or do you think it matters? My dad told me I should try it and I think it would be a lot easier than a car (in general, not driving alone)

Saw the OP is getting a Ninja, those things are awesome, my Dad's friend had a green one and was really good at wheelies on them
  • whofanwhofan Headliner
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4012324 said:
    My Dad's had them since I was about 7 or 8. He started off with a Yamaha R6, then he got an R1 and since about 2007/8 he's had a Harley Davidson Softail. I loved them all, got my own gear.

Just a question to people here, would you recommend learning to ride a motorbike before learning to drive a car or do you think it matters? My dad told me I should try it and I think it would be a lot easier than a car (in general, not driving alone)

Saw the OP is getting a Ninja, those things are awesome, my Dad's friend had a green one and was really good at wheelies on them
    There are a lot of differences between cars and motorcycles in the way they drive. Since I learned on a car first, I can't say which way is better. However, I would imagine that it would be easier/less stressful to learn in a car first, because then you have less worry about mistakes. Once you get down the basics of driving, then you can switch over to learning on a bike.

However, that's just my opinion, take it with an extreme grain of salt.

Maybe someone who learned on a bike in the first place can tell us of the experience of doing it that way first.