problem with the RBN rating system

TheWii60RockerTheWii60Rocker Opening Act
edited September 2010 in The Rock Band Network
this is not part of my usual complaining on the forums, i am just here to point out more of harmonixs shortcomings. :p j/k

i sometimes browse the RBN for songs and i have only bought 3 songs, higher, bodies and code monkeys. they are songs i knew about before the RBN was even around and i figured out why the high rated songs do not really appeal to me.

You can only rate RBN songs once you have bought them and when was the last time you have bought an RBN song and than rated it 1 lighter? that is why many RBN songs are high rated because most of the people who download the songs download it because they like it.

Comments

  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Well, I'm sure people who bought "Fat Kid", "Black Rain" or "Sorcerres" 1 lighter-ed it.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited September 2010
    TheWii60Rocker;4017228 said:
    this is not part of my usual complaining on the forums, i am just here to point out more of harmonixs shortcomings. :p j/k

    i sometimes browse the RBN for songs and i have only bought 3 songs, higher, bodies and code monkeys. they are songs i knew about before the RBN was even around and i figured out why the high rated songs do not really appeal to me.

    You can only rate RBN songs once you have bought them and when was the last time you have bought an RBN song and than rated it 1 lighter? that is why many RBN songs are high rated because most of the people who download the songs download it because they like it.


    Your misconception that people only buy songs they know beforehand is the flaw in your logic.

    I've purchased many many MANY songs I didn't know before. Some of them were awesome, some of them were all right, and some of them I didn't care for after playing it.

    So yeah.
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I do understand your problem, but two things:

    1. There are some people who buy every song available. And I'm pretty sure they do rate some songs with 1 or 2 lighters

    2. You're supposed to rate the quality of the charting of the song, not the song itself. So it shouldn't matter how much you like the song (which is probably the main argument for buying a song), but how much fun it is to play it. So people buy songs they like, but that doesn't mean they'll automatically give them high ratings.

    The hardcore gamers tend to love (and rate accordingly) hard songs, and they are quite often of the metal genre. I don't like most of them, so I would probably think the same way as you do. Just try browsing by genre, there is a lot of great music on RBN (try the three songs by Free Spirit for example)!
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I rate everything 5 lighters, so I am part of the problem. :p

    Even a song like "Fat Kid", which I loved too much before it came out, got 5 lighters.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    The lesson learned here is to refrain from taking fan ratings at face value.

    Either that, or perhaps a little more research is warranted.
  • Synjin Savant2Synjin Savant2 Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    I'm such a noob. How do I rate an RBN song?
  • MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I had never heard Top Back, Cali Girl, Paper Dolls, For the Love of God, Where We're Goin', and another ten Rock Band Network songs I've since bought before actually buying them. I obviously couldn't have downloaded them because I liked them before they were released.
    Synjin Savant2;4021397 said:
    I'm such a noob. How do I rate an RBN song?
    You have to beat the song, if I remember correctly.
  • Synjin Savant2Synjin Savant2 Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    I've beaten the song I'm trying to rate. Where do I go in the menus to voice my opinion?
  • axelkotheaxelkothe Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    After you beat the song on the results screen you can press the "Back" button. There you can rate the RBN song
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Synjin Savant2;4021423 said:
    I've beaten the song I'm trying to rate. Where do I go in the menus to voice my opinion?
    Note, you have to be online.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Nathaniel607;4021528 said:
    Note, you have to be online.
    And you have to do it in Quickplay. Songs cannot currently be rated through World Tour.
  • Titua_OverdriveTitua_Overdrive Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I rate all the songs after playing them. I rate them on how fun they are to play, charting, sound & musicianship. So that's how my rating is determined.
Sign In or Register to comment.