Rock Band 3 drum question: High hat and double pedal?

mayhem117mayhem117 Road WarriorRegistered Users
edited January 2011 in Rock Band
I'm planning on getting an ion set when RB3 comes out and I've heard stories on the net that RB3 will support a high hat and double bass pedal (Not for charts and normal play but just in the freestyle mode and drum fills) My question is will the drums allow you to plug in 3 pedals? One for pedal, 2nd for 2nd bass pedal, and 3rd for a highhat? I usually see this type of set up on other peoples drumsets and it would probably help me to get into actually learning songs. What do other people think? Would 4 pads 3 cymbals, and 3 pedals be enough to learn songs off of drum tabs?

Comments

• skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mayhem117;4019533 said:
    My question is will the drums allow you to plug in 3 pedals?
    As far as I'm aware, the drums (RB2 and RB3) only have 2 ports, so even if you can get a 3rd for the ION, chances are you can't have the functionality for all 3 at once.
  • Xp3R1M3Nt4LXp3R1M3Nt4L Rising Star Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    i doubt that will work...

and off-topic note.. personally, ive never seen any point learning drum tabs or out of a book, i find drumming is easier to feel instead of reading..
    i started getting lessons like 5 or so years ago and all the teacher did was teach me tabs from a book.
    I hated it so i self taught with no books, now i can play pretty much all of the songs i listen to.. and im a metalhead..

(i'm not moaning at you, i was just saying how i felt.. and to the pompous know-it-alls on here, i know everyone is different and learn different ways blah blah)
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    That actually made me laugh OP, sorry

The ION has 1 port, just for a bass pedal
    The RB2/3 drum kits have 2 ports, one for bass and one for either bass or hi hat.

As far as I know people have 2 feet
  • powerofyates2powerofyates2 Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mbnasir6;4019631 said:

The RB2/3 drum kits have 2 ports, one for bass and one for either bass or hi hat.

And people have only 2 hands, but there are 4 pads and 3 cymbals. How does that work?:confused:
  • jfh2112jfh2112 Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mbnasir6;4019631 said:
    Current models, yes, but not the Pro models that are coming. They'll have an extra port for a second pedal, which can be either hi-hat or 2nd bass.

I'd say OP could make it work, with a new Pro model brain and kick trigger/Kickbox combo/double bass splitter thingie. Dollars would have to be spent, but everyone knows that has to happen. :cool:
  • xRite AidexxRite Aidex Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    ^^^^^

Wouldnt it just be better to buy the pro anyway?
  • mayhem117mayhem117 Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mbnasir6;4019631 said:

Have you actually seen many drummers??? Lots of people have the single bass pedal on their right and the highhat and 2nd bass pedal on their left. Say you play a simple beat you can use a highhat pedal then move your left foot over for a double bass section. Drummers aren't bound to just 2 pedals. I've even seen drummers with more than 3 pedals. On an actual set I look at it as having more colors to paint with
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    jfh2112;4019725 said:
    Current models, yes, but not the Pro models that are coming. They'll have an extra port for a second pedal, which can be either hi-hat or 2nd bass.

I'd say OP could make it work, with a new Pro model brain and kick trigger/Kickbox combo/double bass splitter thingie. Dollars would have to be spent, but everyone knows that has to happen. :cool:
    There is no new Pro model brain. The new Drum Rocker Pro does indeed come with a 2nd pedal (the same pedal that comes with the current Drum Rocker Premium), but there is nowhere to plug it in. It is merely included so you can use it as a hi-hat pedal if and when you ever upgrade the kit with a real e-drum brain.
  • HaloOfTheSunHaloOfTheSun Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Xp3R1M3Nt4L;4019570 said:
    i doubt that will work...

and off-topic note.. personally, ive never seen any point learning drum tabs or out of a book, i find drumming is easier to feel instead of reading..
    i started getting lessons like 5 or so years ago and all the teacher did was teach me tabs from a book.
    I hated it so i self taught with no books, now i can play pretty much all of the songs i listen to.. and im a metalhead..

(i'm not moaning at you, i was just saying how i felt.. and to the pompous know-it-alls on here, i know everyone is different and learn different ways blah blah)
    Tabs for anything other than guitar is the dumbest thing ever.
  • triforce179triforce179 Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    powerofyates2;4019707 said:
    And people have only 2 hands, but there are 4 pads and 3 cymbals. How does that work?:confused:
    More importantly, how do magnets work?

On topic, as far as I'm concerned, if you get the new Pro Ion Drum Kit, it will only allow you to have up to two pedals plugged in. Either way, you would have to choose between a hi-hat pedal or another kick pedal because the game can't register both.

EDIT: If that really is a make or break feature for you, you can just use a regular RB2/Beatles kit, get 2 more kick pedals and the double bass splitter, so you can use two for double bass, and register the remaining one to a hi-hat pedal.
  • kevinsanokevinsano Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    HaloOfTheSun;4019886 said:
    With drums being "untuned" instruments, I'd think drum tabs make more sense than guitar tabs.
  • mbnasir6mbnasir6 Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mayhem117;4019866 said:
    Have you actually seen many drummers??? Lots of people have the single bass pedal on their right and the highhat and 2nd bass pedal on their left. Say you play a simple beat you can use a highhat pedal then move your left foot over for a double bass section. Drummers aren't bound to just 2 pedals. I've even seen drummers with more than 3 pedals. On an actual set I look at it as having more colors to paint with
    Yes, actually I know quite a bit about drums, will know more considering I'm doing a massive History Research project on them for half a year.

And most of the time if a drummer uses double bass they will not use the Hi Hat pedal, if they want to change the Hi Hat to closed they use a "Drop Clutch" (I think that's what it's called)

Yes drummers do use Hi Hat pedal and Double Bass in the same pieces/songs, but as far as my musical taste, I haven't heard it. Jazz however, is a whole another animal, they probably use it a lot in Jazz
  • Whizzer191Whizzer191 Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    HaloOfTheSun;4019886 said:
    Even bass guitar? Or is that implied in 'guitar' for you? If so, nevermind me.

For the OP, you can have a look at RockBandKickBox.com for use of 3 pedals on ION Drum Rockers. There's a $89 device that should do just that.
    edited September 2010
    mbnasir6;4021559 said:
    Yes, actually I know quite a bit about drums, will know more considering I'm doing a massive History Research project on them for half a year.

And most of the time if a drummer uses double bass they will not use the Hi Hat pedal, if they want to change the Hi Hat to closed they use a "Drop Clutch" (I think that's what it's called)

Yes drummers do use Hi Hat pedal and Double Bass in the same pieces/songs, but as far as my musical taste, I haven't heard it. Jazz however, is a whole another animal, they probably use it a lot in Jazz
    The point is that I'd like to have them there incase I'd like to use it. Any type of drummer can use it regardless of what music they play It's not like I'm going to be going back and forth with my left foot hitting double bass and highhats at high speed. I'll be either be sticking with highhat or double bass when the song calls for it.

And thanks to the one that suggested the splitter that should let me use all 3 pedals
  • DesiredFXDesiredFX Road Warrior Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    powerofyates2;4019707 said:
    Not as well as I'd like, most days.

Not as well as I'd like.
  • sicwhite360sicwhite360 Unsigned Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Surely two bass pedals into a splitter/adapter into one port and then your third (hi-hat) pedal into the second port?

Or am I missing something?
  • HaloOfTheSunHaloOfTheSun Opening Act Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    kevinsano;4020768 said:
    With drums being "untuned" instruments, I'd think drum tabs make more sense than guitar tabs.
    Considering guitar tabs show you where to place your fingers on frets, no. Tabs are a horrible way to accurately represent rhythm which makes drum tabs idiotic. Not to mention it isn't hard at all to hear which drums are being played and then play them.

Sheet music for drums would make much more sense and be incredibly more accurate and easy to sightread than tabs, which is a form of notation originally designed for guitar anyway.
    Whizzer191;4021898 said:
    Even bass guitar? Or is that implied in 'guitar' for you? If so, nevermind me.
    I meant bass guitar too. I normally don't lump the two together like that. Sorry for the confusion.
    edited September 2010
    HaloOfTheSun;4022123 said:
    Considering guitar tabs show you where to place your fingers on frets, no. Tabs are a horrible way to accurately represent rhythm which makes drum tabs idiotic. Not to mention it isn't hard at all to hear which drums are being played and then play them.

Sheet music for drums would make much more sense and be incredibly more accurate and easy to sightread than tabs, which is a form of notation originally designed for guitar anyway.

I meant bass guitar too. I normally don't lump the two together like that. Sorry for the confusion.
    I agree tabs can make playing music that's meant to be played by feel harder to grasp. I remember trying to learn a bluesy type piece on guitar through a tab but it just would come out very stiff. It wasn't until I got away from the tab that I figured out it was the type of song you had to feel out. But I like drum tabs because it can help me see a pattern in the beat or help me to figure out something quicker.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    sicwhite360;4021955 said:
    Surely two bass pedals into a splitter/adapter into one port and then your third (hi-hat) pedal into the second port?

Or am I missing something?
    Yes, you're missing the fact that this thread is about the Ion drums, and there is only one pedal port on the Ion drum module.
  • sicwhite360sicwhite360 Unsigned Registered Users
    edited September 2010
  • 9socks99socks9 Unsigned Registered Users
    edited January 2011
    If you really want a double bass cut the cord on both and soter them togeather and there is your double bass