Metallica helping the Beatles???

DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
edited October 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
With the news that most of Guitar Hero - Metallica is finally porting over to the main grouping, I would pay CLOSE attention to sales numbers if I were the guys over at Harmonix. A spike in sales and a figure on the number of export fees purchased could prove useful in getting the people in charge of the masters to at least consider allowing TBRB to port over to the main game. Anyone else think this could ultimately help us get exports of Beatles, or am I still hoping for nothing?

Comments

• BallisticJunkfoodBallisticJunkfood Headliner
    edited September 2010
    My guess would be "hoping for nothing".
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited September 2010
    I really don't think exporting is nearly as big a selling point to the general public as people here think it is.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4022851 said:
    I really don't think exporting is nearly as big a selling point to the general public as people here think it is.
    This. It won't make a difference for TB:RB is it does to Metallica.
  • mva5580mva5580 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    go ahead and pay attention to those sales #'s and let us know how it goes. It's cute that people on these forums actually think that exporting matters to the general public, but they couldn't care less.

The Beatles: Rock Band, according to NPD #'s, has sold somewhere close to 1.8 million units thus far. If you were able to export the songs to Rock Band from the beginning, I bet it wouldn't even push the total over 1.9 million.

People who obsess over exporting on message boards aren't as important as they think they are.
  • Dozer3677Dozer3677 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    mva5580;4023350 said:
    go ahead and pay attention to those sales #'s and let us know how it goes. It's cute that people on these forums actually think that exporting matters to the general public, but they couldn't care less.

The Beatles: Rock Band, according to NPD #'s, has sold somewhere close to 1.8 million units thus far. If you were able to export the songs to Rock Band from the beginning, I bet it wouldn't even push the total over 1.9 million.

People who obsess over exporting on message boards aren't as important as they think they are.
    Exactly. I still don't get the selling point for exporting a band specific game into a general, generic game. I don't even want this. I want to put in TB:RB and see the great dream sequences, and the beatles themselves, Not BuzzSaw Billy and his crappy bandmates playing A Day In The Life. It is already bad enough that they can play Jet! & Band On The Run.

Why do you want to export it OP? Do you think you will end up playing the game more? Or making better use of the songs? Instead of just swapping game discs? I do not understand the need the for this. And everyone on here has already stated this, but I will repeat, THE MASS AUDIENCE OF THIS GAME DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THIS. They are most likely not music game fanatics, or even video game fanatics for that matter. They are families who work, and have other responsibilities, and play a game on a slight occasion, when they can. Just because I play this game a ton, I do not represent the main audience, I am pretty sure about that. Hopefully sooner than later all this export nonsense will stop. Enjoy the game you have, complain about more DLC, not some feature which majority of the people won't even know exists.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    To be honest, after playing some classic rock tracks in RockBand 2, it makes me wish that every band could have dream sequences and that every artist could be represented as they appeared when the recording was made.
  • Angus99Angus99 Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    Rock Band released a lego game and a game dedicated to Green Day. Both exported completely.

Harmonix knows what to expect should they allow The Beatles: Rock Band to export.

Guitar Hero is trying to catch up.
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    No Beatles on RB3. NO NO NO!. I don't want american phil or whoever to play a day in the life like dozer said. The Beatles have tehre own game that's special plus the dreamscapes and there own story mode. I can deal with jet and band on the run in RB2 and imagine in RB3 (I guess) But no Beatles in RB3 unless you can somehow magically make the beatles appear in RB3. Or if you put Beatles in Rb3 it means more DLC which won't happen.
    edited September 2010
    Just... why? Now that we have a keyboardist to handle the more unorthodox arrangements like from the Sgt. Pepper album, I'd go so far as to say that every song in The Beatles Rock Band would look better coming from the Rock Band avatars than "Imagine".
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    I doubt how effective people think exporting is.

The majority of the people in the world have no issue simply switching the disc. The only games that make sense to export are RB1 and RB2 since it's going to use the same DLC and very different engines.
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited September 2010
    I haven't bought the Beatles solely because it isn't exportable.

Seems to a great game, but I'd like the songs to have the longevity of my other songs on the platform.

PS: I am probably in the minority.
  • DroosiesDroosies Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    I'd like exporting for a couple reasons...

Sure it's probably lazy, but I don't like changing discs. I like to play several different songs at the same time. As far as the dreamscapes go, yes, they were beautiful, but they distracted me from the actual game. For the most part, I didn't even watch them because I was too busy concentrating on the notes flying my way. Would it bother me seeing The Master of Gravity playing a Beatles song? Not in the slightest, because for the most part, I wouldn't even be watching that part of the screen.

There's also the updates to Pro Mode. If they exported it to Rock Band 3 and added the Pro Mode aspects to The Beatle songs, I could learn to play Beatles songs on the guitar. I'd love that. Wouldn't you? And since they've done all the Pro Drums already, we'd have those as well. However, in order to use them, they'd have to on Rock Band 3, unless they patched the game. However, patching the game doesn't net them any cash.

Also, for the 1.8 million people who bought Beatles Rock Band, let's say only half of them buy the export for $5. That's $4.5 million. That's a nice chunk of change there. And that's only half. I'm willing to bet that even though most "don't care" about exportation, a lot more than half would take advantage of it. And that's not even counting the numbers who would then go out and buy the game solely for export.
    edited September 2010
    Droosies;4025687 said:
    I'd like exporting for a couple reasons...

I am in the group of non-exporters, but I have to say, those are the best arguments I have read. I think they can patch it, and still charge $5 a patch. But I do not know that for a fact. Yes, Pro-mode would be cool.
    edited September 2010
    Dozer3677;4025768 said:
    I am in the group of non-exporters, but I have to say, those are the best arguments I have read. I think they can patch it, and still charge $5 a patch. But I do not know that for a fact. Yes, Pro-mode would be cool.
    The catch is they can't charge for patches. That would be free as it would be required to play the game. Also, it'd screw over the Wii players again, and I'm sure HMX has heard enough on that subject. I think the only way to get Pro Mode on all instruments would in fact be to have the game export up to the main platform. And again, if they can make it Pro-compatible, I'm sure that'd convert a lot of you "non-exporters" to plop down the $5 fee and also be enough to sit through looking at the RB avatars playing Beatles songs.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited September 2010
    I can't quite possibly imagine a scenario where people would be so against the option of exporting the songs into one large library, but, well, here it is
    edited September 2010
    Droosies;4025687 said:
    Also, for the 1.8 million people who bought Beatles Rock Band, let's say only half of them buy the export for $5. That's $4.5 million. That's a nice chunk of change there. And that's only half. I'm willing to bet that even though most "don't care" about exportation, a lot more than half would take advantage of it. And that's not even counting the numbers who would then go out and buy the game solely for export.
    You're assuming that the amount of people that would export is more than half, when it's probably a lot less, especially with the people here who find it nothing short of blasphemy for other avatars to perform "Back in the USSR". Considering how much ~75 Beatles recordings would cost to license, odds are they'd just end up losing a ton of money.
  • fatalfiend37fatalfiend37 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I am gonna go with the guy who said, "It's not gonna happen"
  • DrEeviilDrEeviil Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    Harmonix are not the ones that are against exporting TB:RB songs. Complaining at them won't change anything.
    edited September 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4027150 said:
    You're assuming that the amount of people that would export is more than half, when it's probably a lot less, especially with the people here who find it nothing short of blasphemy for other avatars to perform "Back in the USSR". Considering how much ~75 Beatles recordings would cost to license, odds are they'd just end up losing a ton of money.
    If you seriously think that less than half the people who own TB:RB would not export the songs to the main library if given the chance, you're smoking something.
  • JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Droosies;4027195 said:
    If you seriously think that less than half the people who own TB:RB would not export the songs to the main library if given the chance, you're smoking something.
    I'm guessing that well over half of RB players have not exported the other games to their hard drives. A lot of people are fine switching discs, don't have the space, or even don't know (or care) about the option.

And I'm not sure I'd export to the main platform, because I love all of the intricacies of TB:RB. Playing their songs without the actual band members or dreamscapes would be much less fun.
  • bklynsteamerbklynsteamer Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    DrEeviil;4027170 said:
    Harmonix are not the ones that are against exporting TB:RB songs. Complaining at them won't change anything.
    Exactly! Try giving Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia a call and see what they say.
  • DragonclawDragonclaw Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    As a store manager for a big, evil game company....a person who deals with all sorts of gamers and fields questions every day I can say from a LOT of experience that one of the FIRST questions I get asked about with EVERY music game....and I got a lot of it with the Beatles...was about EXPORTING. Sorry, but anyone who thinks exporting isn't a big deal to the general public is mistaken from the experiences of myself, my staff...and judging from many of the questions asked at the store manager conferences I've attended those experiences weren't limitted to my ownn store. The lack of export hurt TBRB sales...sure the band alone was going to move a lot of units due to their fan base...but they could have had much more :)

I said form the beginning, the BEST solution, especially for artists who don't want generic avatars playing their songs and are reluctant to buy into any music game because of that...and quite frankly I don't blame them...is to link songs to the avatars directly. If they had included TBRB as an export, but included the dreamscapes and the fab four in a way that whenever a Beatles song is chosen it is only the Beatles that would play (and the avatars would remain locked out for other songs so Paul doesn't have to try and belt out Holy Diver :p ) I think it would be a huge win. Quite frankly I can't see where anyonne would be opposed to that :)
    edited September 2010
    Switching to out-of-place Beatles avatars for certain songs would hurt the presentation of Rock Band 3. The narrative about your band wouldn't make much sense if you're performing at some club in Boston, then in the middle of the set it cuts to The Beatles at Shea Stadium, then go back to your band. On top of that, your band is all over the game, the venues are likely preloaded, and the remaining time loading the actual song is hidden by a cutscene of your band setting up. It would be really hard to keep the "no loading screens" intact when they have to load new character models and venues for every song. It would also increase the already-expensive licensing costs, which would require them to sell even MORE exports to offset.
    edited September 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4028562 said:
    Switching to out-of-place Beatles avatars for certain songs would hurt the presentation of Rock Band 3. The narrative about your band wouldn't make much sense if you're performing at some club in Boston, then in the middle of the set it cuts to The Beatles at Shea Stadium, then go back to your band. On top of that, your band is all over the game, the venues are likely preloaded, and the remaining time loading the actual song is hidden by a cutscene of your band setting up. It would be really hard to keep the "no loading screens" intact when they have to load new character models and venues for every song. It would also increase the already-expensive licensing costs, which would require them to sell even MORE exports to offset.
    Really? That is pretty awesome. I haven't read much into the game, but I never knew about No Loading screens. That is really an awesome thing. I cannot wait to see it in action!!
  • DrEeviilDrEeviil Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    As I understand it, they are more concerned about the Fab Four playing other songs, than other avatars playing The Beatles songs. After all, there are covers all the time. I keep saying they should do a Rock Band version of the Love album.
  • amlexamlex Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    I bought RBTB when it first came out, my wife is a huge Beatles fan and to be honest the game has been played maybe a total of 5 or 6 times. If the songs had been able to be exported a large portion of the songs would be added to a typical song list. Unfortunately, when playing we enjoy some music variety.

The disc change isn't necessarily the issue, the average player would rather be able to play the songs throughout a normal playlist - eventually, playing the same songs over and over again will lose the novelty (avatar or no avatar, dreamscape or no dreamscape).

Rock Band as a whole is as strong as it is because it is a platform. I understand those associated with the Beatles wanted the songs to remain separated but it in all honesty that alone affected the overall sales. There are many players that would be happy to pay the $65-70 for the game and song export, since it would still make the purchase not much different than getting DLC.

The Beatles songs are definitely strong enough to probably pull two to three times the sales numbers you saw without the exporting - and that number could possibly be a low estimate. The living Beatles and family members left a lot of money on the table ... what makes it worse is the game engine used in RBTB will likely languish even though the technology will continue to move along and expand.
    edited September 2010
    amlex;4042905 said:
    There are many players that would be happy to pay the $65-70 for the game and song export, since it would still make the purchase not much different than getting DLC.
    Are there that many people who would pay MORE (depending on when they got it, more than TWICE AS MUCH) for just the songs than they did for the same songs, plus avatars, venues, dreamscapes, and other extras? The Beatles are strong enough to sell what they sold despite being walled off into their own game. It's more of a matter of whether the main Rock Band Platform™ is strong enough that enough people would pay to play the same songs they already have, but without the artistic style of The Beatles: Rock Band.
    edited September 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4042961 said:
    It's more of a matter of whether the main Rock Band Platform™ is strong enough that enough people would pay to play the same songs they already have, but without the artistic style of The Beatles: Rock Band.
    If Pro Mode is added to the export, you bet your sweet bippy they would. Could you imagine using Rock Band 3 to actually learn how to play While My Guitar Gently Weeps or Dear Prudence? You could also add the keyboards, which I know is being discussed, however, those poor Wii-belos are going to be left out in the cold on that one since the game can't be patched.

Exporting the game to the main platform and adding Pro Mode features more than makes up for the "disgrace" of having Buzzsaw sing Yellow Submarine. Bringing the Beatles to the main platform with Pro features added brings people even closer to their music than the actual game did. Think about it like this...the game introduced them to the Beatles (for the most part), the exporting would immerse them in it.
    edited September 2010
    And that's assuming pro guitar is even going to take off at all. Right now they haven't decided if it's going to be successful enough to develop a pro bass controller, and only "select DLC" is going to have pro guitar charts at all due to the extremely time-consuming process (which likely wouldn't include deep cuts like "Dear Prudence"). In fact, we don't have a clue how many songs from any of the other discs are going to get any kind of upgrade.
  • amlexamlex Unsigned
    edited September 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4042961 said:
    Are there that many people who would pay MORE (depending on when they got it, more than TWICE AS MUCH) for just the songs than they did for the same songs, plus avatars, venues, dreamscapes, and other extras? The Beatles are strong enough to sell what they sold despite being walled off into their own game. It's more of a matter of whether the main Rock Band Platform™ is strong enough that enough people would pay to play the same songs they already have, but without the artistic style of The Beatles: Rock Band.
    I don't know if they would pay $120 for the original game plus the option to export? I personally bought the game because of the songs ... could care less about the avatar that is playing it. Some of the dreamscapes actually gave me a headache.

At the end of the day most are looking at the songs, are they fun or not? ... If part of the original $60 went towards the dreamscape, venues, and avatars then I would be fine with an additional $10-30 export fee.

Certainly people would pay to play the songs in the main platform. I've spoken with a couple of players I know that chose not to buy the game because it was walled off. If not for my wife I too would have been in that group.

The game play itself - avatars, dreamscapes, and even harmonies isn't enough to sell the game to the casual player. People will always look for added value. I believe that is one factor that has people migrating more and more to the Rock Band Platform versus other music games.