Broad music knowledge needed

acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
edited September 2010 in History of Rock
I'm doing an exam in just under 2 years that you have to do in Ireland which determines which college you get into based on grades. I do music and 50% of my exam will be practical. I have to play 6 songs (I play guitar) and they have to show a variety of musical ability/variety in the songs. Here's the songs I'm considering so far:

Free Bird/Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Classical Gas - Mason Williams
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Hotel California - Eagles
Always With Me, Always With You - Joe Satriani
Blackbird - The Beatles
Jockey Full of Bourbon - Tom Waits
Classico - Tenacious D (to show classical songs but in a song I like)

As you can see they don't really vary from Rock (that much) so I was wondering if people could recommend some songs (with decent guitar parts, not difficult but prominent) from varying genres/styles.

Comments

• Oscar-RioOscar-Rio 0/10
    edited September 2010
    Death - Lack of Comprehension
  • PiscasisPiscasis Rising Star
    edited September 2010
    I think the best way to do it would be to first choose 6 different genres, and then select 6 songs, one from each genre. Of course, I would say umbrella genres not subgenres because that wouldn't be very various (lol what an alliteration). Ex. Metal, Rock, Jazz, Punk, Classical, Country.
  • berkthgarberkthgar Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Oscar-Rio;4029908 said:
    Death - Lack of Comprehension
    I was gonna suggest a Death song, but I didn't want to be "that guy" who says PLAY MOAR METALZ. :p good pick though.
  • HungryfreakHungryfreak Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Napalm Death - "You Suffer"
    edited September 2010
    berkthgar;4029947 said:
    I was gonna suggest a Death song, but I didn't want to be "that guy" who says PLAY MOAR METALZ. :p good pick though.
    well that song in particular has very simple scale progression in the opening while remaining quite stylized. Plus the song is a beast.:p
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I can say now I won't be doing much metal. If I do any it will be Metallica. There's a guy in my class who likes all the cannibal corpse-esque stuff. I don't. Any experimental/latin/classical/country stuff would be great though.

So my thoughts have changed, I like the one song from each genre idea:
    Rock - One of the songs from first post, haven't decided
    Jazz - Better Days Ahead by Pat Metheny (thank you very much, I love it)
    Punk - Would love to do Sex Pistols/The Clash but they don't have any impressive guitar songs. Maybe The Ruts? Any idea?
    Country - Not much experience in this area, suggestions would be warmly welcomed
    Classical - Classical Gas (kinda, in a way, not really but I'll get away with it)
    Metal - Some Metallica song. Enter Sandman/The Unforgiven are two that straight away come to mind

Thank you for all the suggestions so far
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4029990 said:
    I can say now I won't be doing much metal. If I do any it will be Metallica. There's a guy in my class who likes all the cannibal corpse-esque stuff. I don't. Any experimental/latin/classical/country stuff would be great though.

So my thoughts have changed, I like the one song from each genre idea:
    Punk - Would love to do Sex Pistols/The Clash but they don't have any impressive guitar songs. Maybe The Ruts? Any idea?
    Country - Not much experience in this area, suggestions would be warmly welcomed
    Mick Jones of The Clash has some pretty good guitar work. Check out something on Give 'Em Enough Rope like "Safe European Home" or "Tommy Gun." Or you could play some Husker Du.

As for country, I'm sure other people would be able to help more, but you can always play some Johnny Cash or Lucinda Williams.
    edited September 2010
    For the more country/folky area, try something from a band named Railroad Earth. Maybe this one. It's a bit more folk than country but it shouldn't matter, it'd still be different than the other song choices. As for metal, I suggest not doing Metallica. There are metal bands that aren't Death Metal.
    edited September 2010
    Piscasis;4030037 said:
    For the more country/folky area, try something from a band named Railroad Earth. Maybe this one. It's a bit more folk than country but it shouldn't matter, it'd still be different than the other song choices. As for metal, I suggest not doing Metallica. There are metal bands that aren't Death Metal.
    Why would you suggest not doing Metallica? I only know a few metal bands that I like - Megadeth (a few songs), Marilyn Manson (not really), RATM (again not really), Anthrax, Sabbath, Dio, Maiden, Priest, Motorhead and Ozzy. But I only like a few songs by each.
    edited September 2010
    Well, you seemed to have an immediate disdain towards most metal, but you credited Cannibal Corpse as an example of such. I'm just saying, not all metal is death metal like Cannibal Corpse. Metallica is an extremely overdone and kinda moot choice, but I guess that really isn't a big deal as long as it represents metal well.
    edited September 2010
    Piscasis;4030069 said:
    Well, you seemed to have an immediate disdain towards most metal, but you credited Cannibal Corpse as an example of such. I'm just saying, not all metal is death metal like Cannibal Corpse. Metallica is an extremely overdone and kinda moot choice, but I guess that really isn't a big deal as long as it represents metal well.
    Well, I don't like a lot of the metal that is just slamming on the thick E string but I'm open to suggestions. Name some bands and I'll look into them. I just thought of Enter Sandman and The Unforgiven because I know I'd like to learn them
    edited September 2010
    why limit yourself to a metallica song? i don't get it. Play something interesting that people in the room may not have heard before. Surprise them and show them you have more knowledge and insight into music beyond bands in the "Metallica" vein.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited September 2010
    edited September 2010
    Oscar-Rio;4030084 said:
    why limit yourself to a metallica song? i don't get it. Play something interesting that people in the room may not have heard before. Surprise them and show them you have more knowledge and insight into music beyond bands in the "Metallica" vein.
    The metallica vein is the only one I know I like though. I didn't like the song you suggested (though thank you for the suggestion anyway)
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4030099 said:
    The metallica vein is the only one I know I like though. I didn't like the song you suggested (though thank you for the suggestion anyway)
    So you clearly don't like death metal, as I hypothesized. Try progressive metal, post-metal, groove metal, thrash metal, anything like that.
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4030099 said:
    yeah, but how interesting do you think it will be for the interviewers when you roll in and play a handful of songs that have been played to death by countless people over the last 30 some odd years? Myself, i'd be rather bored and wanting to just get to the next person in the waiting room. Try learning an Agalloch song like Falling Snow or something by Marnie Stern
    edited September 2010
    MrFruitLord;4030130 said:
    He clearly does not like death metal.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited September 2010
    He said he doesn't like songs that just slamming on the E String.
  • franticfishfranticfish Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    MrFruitLord;4030130 said:
    That would just be showing off.
    edited September 2010
    Oscar-Rio;4030124 said:
    yeah, but how interesting do you think it will be for the interviewers when you roll in and play a handful of songs that have been played to death by countless people over the last 30 some odd years? Myself, i'd be rather bored and wanting to just get to the next person in the waiting room. Try learning an Agalloch song like Falling Snow or something by Marnie Stern
    Well that does make sense, I quite like Marnie Stern...I'll look into that. Do you think that that song would fare well on solo guitar?

@MrFruitLord, I don't like songs where the vocals are incoherent either
    edited September 2010
    i have no idea, i don't play guitar. just bass and violin. sorry.
  • a21schizoidmana21schizoidman Prog-nosticator
    edited September 2010
    play Al Di Meola's Race With the Devil On A Spanish Highway
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    Oscar-Rio;4030124 said:
    I agree with this viewpoint:cool:
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4030185 said:
    @MrFruitLord, I don't like songs where the vocals are incoherent either
    Will you be singing though? Because if not, then "incoherent" vocals shouldn't matter.
    edited September 2010
    Piscasis;4030316 said:
    Will you be singing though? Because if not, then "incoherent" vocals shouldn't matter.
    No I won't, but I'd prefer to play songs I like. Why did you put quote marks around incoherent btw?
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4030332 said:
    No I won't, but I'd prefer to play songs I like. Why did you put quote marks around incoherent btw?
    Because saying that growled/screamed/whatever vocals are incoherent is rather ridiculous :p
    edited September 2010
    berkthgar;4030337 said:
    Because saying that growled/screamed/whatever vocals are incoherent is rather ridiculous :p
    Well, I just interpret that as RARARARAR in a raspy voice.
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4030341 said:
    Well, I just interpret that as RARARARAR in a raspy voice.
    You're misinterpreting it :p You might not like it or appreciate it, but they are most definitely saying something.
    edited September 2010
    berkthgar;4030350 said:
    You're misinterpreting it :p You might not like it or appreciate it, but they are most definitely saying something.
    That's for sure, I hate it. It makes me question music. But let's not get into a discussion like that, I still need some suggestions for country music and punk music