On Your Birthday

acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
edited October 2010 in History of Rock
Came up with this idea due to an assignment in school, basically, what happened in the world of music on your birthday.

http://on-this-day.com/

Mine:
Fool on the Hill was recorded in Abbey Road '67
Lennon recorded Cold Turkey with Eric Clapton, Yoko Ono, Ringo Starr and Klaus Voorman '69
Peace Train was released by Cat Stevens '71
John Bonham died '80
Dave Grohl joined Nirvana '90

Comments

• seriousbussonseriousbusson Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    October 9th:

1813 - Composer Giuseppe Fortunino Frencesco Verdi was born.

1835 - Composer Charles-Camille Saint-Saens was born.

1931 - Russ Columbo’s "Prisoner of Love" was recorded.

1958 - Eddie Cochran recorded "C'mon Everybody."

1959 - Bobby Darin became the youngest performer to headline the Sands Hotel's Copa Room in Las Vegas, NV. Johnny Mathis held the previous record (he had been 23).

1964 - The Rolling Stones cancelled the planned tour in South Africa because of an anti-apartheid embargo by the British Musicians' Union.
    Rolling Stones Apparel and Gear

1966 - John Lennon met Yoko Ono for the first time at an Indica Gallery in London's West End.
    John Lennon Merchandise

1966 - The Rolling Stones recorded their first live album "Got Live if You Want It."

1967 - Doc Severinsen replaced Skitch Henderson as musical director of "The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson."

1971 - Van Morrison's "Wild Night" was released.

1974 - Quincy Jones gets his first gold record for "Body Heat."

1978 - David Bowie's "Stage" album was released by RCA Records.

1979 - Styx released "Babe."

1980 - John Lennon released "Starting Over" on his 40th birthday. It was his first record in five years.
    John Lennon Merchandise

1985 - A 2½-acre garden memorial was dedicated to John Lennon by his widow Yoko Ono. The memorial in New York City’s Central Park is called Strawberry Fields.
    John Lennon Merchandise

2002 - The Bon Jovi album "Bounce" was released.

2003 - Britain's Queen Elizabeth II made Sting a CBE (Commander of the British Empire).

2003 - Joe Strummer's last album, "Streetcore," was released posthumously. Strummer had died of a heartattack on December 22, 2002.
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited September 2010
    September 3rd:

1695 - Composer Pietro-Antonio Locatelli was born.

1940 - Artie Shaw and the Gramercy Five recorded "Summit Ridge Drive."

1942 - Frank Sinatra started his solo singing career.

1955 - Bill Haley & the Comets refused their first offer to tour outside the U.S. because of a fear of flying.

1963 - Reprise Records, owned by Frank Sinatra, became part of Warner Brothers Records.

1969 - The Four Seasons' "I've Got You Under My Skin" was released.

1970 - Rolling Stone reported that the Dave Clark Five had broken up.

1973 - "Angie" was released by The Rolling Stones.

1983 - Metallica ended their first tour entitled "Kill 'em all for one." The tour began on July 27, 1983.
    Metallica music - Metallica apparel and gear

1992 - David Bowie appeared on the cover of "Architectural Digest." He was the first human on the cover in 4 years.

1994 - Brian Setzer (formerly of the Stray Cats) married Christine Schmidt.

1994 - Prince/The Artist appeared on "Soul Train" as the bass player for Nona Gaye on the song "Love Sign."

1994 - "After the Storm" was released by Crosby, Stills and Nash.

2010 - In Devon, England, Mike Edwards (Electric Light Orcherstra) was killed when a giant bale of hay tumbled down a hill and crashed into his van.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    August 25:

1941 - Skinnay Ennis and his orchestra recorded the tune, "Don’t Let Julia Fool Ya."

1970 - Emerson, Lake and Palmer made their world debut at Plymouth Guild Hall in Plymouth, England.

1970 - Elton John made his first live appearance in the U.S. He opened for David Ackles at "The Troubadour" in Los Angeles, CA.

1973 - The Allman Brothers' "Ramblin' Man" was released.

1973 - Butch Trucks (Allman Brothers) broke a leg in a car crash in Macon, GA.

1975 - Bruce Springsteen's album "Born to Run" was released.
    Bruce Springsteen Store

1976 - Boston released its self-titled debut album.

1979 - Gary Numan released "Cars."

1980 - The Broadway musical "42nd Street" opened.

1982 - The Time's second album "What Time Is It?" was released.

1986 - Paul Simon's "Graceland" was released.

1993 - 22-year-old Philip Woldemariam was shot in Los Angeles and Snoop Doggy Dogg was charged with first-degree murder as an accomplice. Dogg's bodyguard, McKinley Lee, was charged with first-degree murder. Lee and Dogg said the shooting was in self-defense after Woldemariam pulled a gun.

1994 - A New York judge formally dissolved the marriage between Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley.

1994 - Jimmy Buffett's plane flipped after taking off in Nantucket, MA. He swam to safety.

1994 - Robert Plant and Jimmy Page reunited in a London studio to record their MTV "Unplugged" show. The show was called "Unledded."

1995 - Dwayne Goettel (Skinny Puppy) was found dead of an apparent heroine overdose at the home of his parents in Canada.

1997 - Various artists recorded "Make a Miracle" to help the children of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

1998 - Dolly Parton released the album "Hungry Again."

2000 - It was announced that the Franklin Sullivan III (Survivor) would be asking a federal court in Chicago, IL, for a preliminary injunction against CBS Corp. and TVT Records LLC concerning the soon-to-be-released soundtrack from the CBS TV series "Survivor."

2001 - In the Bahamas, Aaliyah and eight others were killed when their plane crashed in Marsh Harbor, in the Abacos islands of the northern Bahamas. The cause appeared to be engine failure due to the plane being overloaded.

Beyond that, from Wikipedia, I share a birthday with:
    Gene Simmons (1949)
    Rob Halford (1951)
    Elvis Costello (1954)
    Billy Ray Cyrus (1961)
    Vivian Campbell (1962) (Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Dio)
    Derek Sherinian (1966)
    Jeff Tweedy (1967) (Wilco)
    Stuart Murdoch (1968) (Belle & Sebastian)
    Spider One (1968) (Powerman 5000)
    JoDee Messina (1970)
  • clashcityrocker10clashcityrocker10 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    acdcrock;4040007 said:
    Came up with this idea due to an assignment in school, basically, what happened in the world of music on your birthday.

http://on-this-day.com/

Mine:
    Fool on the Hill was recorded in Abbey Road '67
    Lennon recorded Cold Turkey with Eric Clapton, Yoko Ono, Ringo Starr and Klaus Voorman '69
    Peace Train was released by Cat Stevens '71
    John Bonham died '80
    Dave Grohl joined Nirvana '90
    Why you stealin' my birthday? For anyone who's unaware, this day is Saturday.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Wow, my birthday is September 25th, too.
    edited September 2010
    Rocket2Russia;4040265 said:
    I meant to edit you into my post, but I didn't get around to it. Sorry bro.
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    Y'all are trying to copy me... good thing I got a one month jump on the attempted imitators :)
  • CEEDZ13CEEDZ13 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    1939 - Composer Marlos Nobre was born.

1959 - Elvis Presley appeard after hours at the Lido Club in Paris while on leave from the U.S. Army.

1959 - Ray Charles recorded "What'd I Say."

1968 - David Gimour replaces Syd Barrett in Pink Floyd. Barret had gone checked himself into a psychiatric hospital and then gone into seclusion.

1969 - Lulu and Maurice Gibb (Bee Gees) were married in England.

1974 - KISS released their first album "KISS".

1974 - Yes played their first show at Madison Square Garden.

1987 - The song "Sign O' The Times" was released by Prince.

1992 - Vince Neil quit as lead singer of Motley Crue. After 11 years with the group he says he wants to spend more time on his career as a race car driver. The band reunited on the "American Music Awards" 5 years later.

1998 - Rob Smith (Cure) did battle with the forces of musical evil (Barbara Streisand) on the TV show South Park.

2006 - In Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, the Rolling Stones gave a free concert before a crowd of over 1 million people at Copacabana Beach.

February 18, in case you were wondering.
  • acdcrockacdcrock Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    clashcityrocker10;4040204 said:
    Why you stealin' my birthday? For anyone who's unaware, this day is Saturday.
    Woah...strange. And yeah forgot to put the date in sorry :)

We all share a birthday with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Superman (Christopher Reeves) and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air (Will Smith).

Was kinda sad that John Bonham died on my birthday though.
    edited September 2010
    I still like how the Battle of Stamford Bridge happened on September 25th. That, and the Bill of Rights to the US Constitution passed Congress. And it's Shel Silverstein's birthday.
    edited September 2010
    Bill of Rights... The Best Joker... It's very wrong that I don't know which one I'm prouder of sharing a birthday with. :p
    edited September 2010
    It's cool. I wouldn't expect most people to have the same obsession with history I do.
    edited September 2010
    Well, no, I was being wholly sarcastic. I share a certain affinity for history too (though I doubt to the extent that you, schiz and instant do :o).
    edited September 2010
    Rocket2Russia;4040412 said:
    Well, no, I was being wholly sarcastic. I share a certain affinity for history too (though I doubt to the extent that you, schiz and instant do :o).
    Yeah, mine probably borders on unhealthy. :p
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    Im quite history obsessed myself.
    edited September 2010
    I've been rocking the Churchill avatar for almost my whole time on this forum, with the exception of the first two or three months.
  • CubecubedCubecubed Washed Up
    edited September 2010
    I think im gonna stick with Guy Incognito for a while.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm gonna stick with my favorite player since like 2002-2003.
  • Wiiman95Wiiman95 Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    August 19th

1881 - Composer Georges Enesco was born.

1918 - Irving Berlin's musical "Yip Yip Yaphank" opened in New York City at the Century Theater.

1939 - The Dick Jurgens Orchestra recorded, "Day Dreams Come True at Night."

1964 - The first American tour by the Beatles began in San Francisco, CA. The tour would cover 26 cities.
    Today in Beatles History - Beatles apparel and gear

1972 - NBC-TV presented "The Midnight Special" for the first time with John Denver as the first host.

1973 - Rita Coolidge and Kris Kristofferson were married.

1980 - 1,400 people riot in Toronto when Alice Cooper cancelled a show due to illness.
    Alice Cooper Store

1997 - Fleetwood Mac's reunion album "The Dance" was released.
    Fleetwood Mac Store

2001 - Former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted made his first live appearance with EchoBrain.
    Metallica music - Metallica apparel and gear

2008 - Lady Gaga's album "The Fame" was released.
    edited September 2010
    Cubecubed;4040465 said:
    I think im gonna stick with Guy Incognito for a while.
    I approve of this.
  • ShaneraneShanerane Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    October 18th:

1706 - Composer Baldassare Galuppi was born.

1935 - "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" was recorded by Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra.

1957 - Paul McCartney made his debut appearance with the Quarrymen in Norris Green, Liverpool.

1964 - The Animals began their first U.S. tour.

1966 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience played its debut concert in Paris.

1967 - "How I Won the War," starring John Lennon, premiered in London.
    John Lennon Merchandise

1968 - John Lennon and Yoko Ono were arrested and charged with possession of marijuana when Ringo Starr's apartment was raided by police.

1969 - The Jackson 5 made their U.S. television debut on ABC-TV's "Hollywood Place."

1974 - Mary Woodson shoots herself in Al Green's home. She shot herself after throwing a pot of boiling grits on Green when he was getting out of the bathtub.

1975 - Simon and Garfunkel reunited on "Saturday Night Live."

1986 - Christine McVie married composer Eduardo DeMendonca.

1990 - The musical "Once on This Island" opened.

1990 - The City of Los Angeles declared "Rocky Horror Picture Show Day."

1992 - Lynn Anderson was released from jail after serving two days in jail in Nashville, TN for a contempt of court sentence for swearing in front of her children.

1997 - Hanson sang the national anthem at the opening game of the World Series.

1998 - Metallica performed at the Playboy Mansion.

1998 - Frank Sinatra Jr. married Cynthia McMurrey in Houston, TX.

Pretty cool birthday, if I do say so myself :cool:
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited September 2010
    June 14th

1923 - Fiddlin' John Carson recorded "The Little Old Log Cabin in the Lane".

1953 - Elvis Presley graduated from L.C. Humes High School in Memphis, TN.

1961 - Patsy Cline sustained serious head injuries and a fractured hip in a car accident in Madison, TN.

1965 - Paul McCartney recorded "Yesterday."

1965 - Bob Dylan recorded "Like A Rolling Stone."

1969 - Mick Taylor was introduced as the new guitarist for the Rolling Stones.

1970 - Eric Clapton's band, "Derek and The Dominoes," made their live debut in Britain.

1970 - Grand Funk Railroad spent $100,000 for a block long billboard in New York's Times Square to advertise their album "Closer to Home."

1970 - Derek and the Dominoes made their live debut in Britain.

1970 - The Grateful Dead released their "Workingman's Dead" LP.

1971 - In London, the first Hard Rock Cafe opened.

1980 - The movie "Roadie," starring Meat Loaf, debuted.

1981 - The "No Nukes" concert took place at The Hollywood Bowl.

1982 - The Pretenders fired Pete Farndon.

1988 - The Fat Boys filed a $5 million law suit against Miller Beer and Joe Piscopo for using their likeness in a Miller Lite "Rappin "Fats" Piscopo commercial.

1994 - Henry Mancini died at age 70.

1995 - Michael Jackson appeared on TV with his wife Lisa Marie Presley in a live interview with Diane Sawyer.

2002 - In Lubbock, TX, a power failure ended a Britney Spears concert after only two songs.
  • ShaneraneShanerane Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    Meatwad555;4040562 said:

1961 - Patsy Cline sustained serious head injuries and a fractured hip in a car accident in Madison, TN.

1970 - Eric Clapton's band, "Derek and The Dominoes," made their live debut in Britain.

1970 - Grand Funk Railroad spent $100,000 for a block long billboard in New York's Times Square to advertise their album "Closer to Home."

1988 - The Fat Boys filed a $5 million law suit against Miller Beer and Joe Piscopo for using their likeness in a Miller Lite "Rappin "Fats" Piscopo commercial.

1995 - Michael Jackson appeared on TV with his wife Lisa Marie Presley in a live interview with Diane Sawyer.

2002 - In Lubbock, TX, a power failure ended a Britney Spears concert after only two songs.
    What day is that?
  • tridentgum0tridentgum0 Uninteresting Poster
    edited September 2010
    Meatwad555;4040562 said:

Hmm...
  • Gargoyle2500Gargoyle2500 Opening Act
    edited September 2010
    I put the Nirvana part in. Its correct, It was just missing from the list.

August 15

1875 - Composer Samuel Coleridge-Taylor was born.

1890 - Composer Jacques Ibert was born.

1939 - "The Wizard of Oz" premiered in Hollywood, CA. Judy Garland became famous for the movie's song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

1941 - "Au Revoir, Pleasant Dreams" was recorded by Ben Bernie and his orchestra.

1958 - Buddy Holly and Maria Elena Santiago were married in a private ceremony at his parents home in Lubbock, TX.

1965 - The Beatles set a record for having the largest single crowd at a concert at Shea Stadium in New York. Attendance was 56,000.
    Today in Beatles History - Beatles apparel and gear

1969 - The Woodstock Music and Art Fair began in Bethel, NY. The three-day concert featured 24 bands and drew over 400,000 people.

1980 - George Harrison's book "I Me Mine" went on sale.

1987 - On the tenth anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley thousands of people marched past his grave in Memphis, TN.

1991 - Nirvana announce the filming of their first music video at a concert

1991 - Paul Simon played a free concert at New York's Central Park in front of an estimated 750,000 people.

1997 - Tony Nicole Tony Records filed suit against Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of KISS for alleged intentional interference with KISS drummer Peter Criss' contract with the label. The suit maintained that Simmons and Stanley convinced Criss to break his contract with the label.

2006 - Deana Martin's album "Memories Are Made of This" was released. The album featured her versions of many of her father's hits and other hits by Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr..
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited September 2010
    March 25th:

1699 - Composer Johann Adolph Hasse was born.

1784 - Composer Francois-Joseph Fetis was born.

1852 - Friedrich Hebbel's "Agnes Bernauer," premiered in Munich.

1881 - Composer Bela Bartok was born.

1931 - Hal Kemp and his orchestra recorded "Whistles," with Skinnay Ennis.

1960 - Roy Orbison recorded "Only the Lonely."

1961 - Elvis Presley performed his last live show for the next eight years in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The show raised $62,000 for the U.S.S. Arizona memorial fund.

1967 - The Who made its U.S. concert debut in New York.

1968 - The 58th and final episode of "The Monkees" TV show was aired.

1974 - Barbra Streisand recorded the album "Butterfly."

1976 - Jackson Browne's wife Phyllis committed suicide.

1979 - Van Halen released the album "Van Halen II."

1985 - Prince won an Oscar for Best Original Score for the soundtrack for the movie "Purple Rain."

1990 - Tommy Lee of Motley Crue was arrested for allegedly exposing his buttocks during a concert in Augusta, GA.

1991 - Michael Jackson escorted Madonna to the Oscars.

1995 - Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam was rescued after a riptide carried him 250 feet offshore in New Zealand.

2004 - In Georgia, the House of Representatives voted 134-0 to name a stretch of Interstate 85 for country music star Alan Jackson. The honor had already passed the Senate.
  • citizenCEROcitizenCERO Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    I have the same birthday as Dave Grohl. oohright
  • XacharyCrossXacharyCross Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    1686 - Composer Benedetto Marcello was born.

1874 - Composer Reynaldo Hahn was born.

1932 - Helen Morgan joined the Victor Young orchestra to record "Bill," from Broadway’s "Showboat."

1963 - The TV program "Ready, Set!, Go!" premiered on the BBC in London, England.

1964 - Bob Dylan and Joan Baez performed on stage together for the first time.

1969 - "Hot Fun in The Summertime," by Sly and the Family Stone, and "Easy to Be Hard" (from the Broadway production "Hair") were released.

1978 - Muddy Waters performed at a White House picnic for U.S. President Jimmy Carter.

1991 - Rick James pled innocent to charges that he imprisoned, tortured and sexually assaulted a woman in his California home.
  • Meatwad555Meatwad555 Merch-Table
    edited September 2010
    Shanerane;4040565 said:
    What day is that?
    June 14th
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited September 2010
    1966 - In London, Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker formed the band Cream.
    1972 - Smokey Robinson and the Miracles gave their farewell concert in Washington, DC.
    1972 - Rock n' Roll superstar Erin G was born
    1973 - Bob Dylan released the soundtrack to "Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid."
    1976 - Loggins and Messina broke up.
    1981 - Harry Chapin died in a car crash at the age of 38. He was on his way to a benefit concert.
    1995 - Rock n' Roll superstar Erin G steals a pair of Dolores O'Riordan's panties.
    1996 - Dolores O'Riordan of the Cranberries accepted an undisclosed settlement after a London newspaper reported that she appeared on stage without panties.

Edit: this would be the 16th of July.