Do as Infinity
Mucc
HYDE
L'arc~en~Ciel

Comments

• pretty_pink_pistolpretty_pink_pistol Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    i love BUCK-TICK. they were one of the first bands I got into. I also like:
    La'cryma Christi (they disbanded this year =/)
    Kagerou (disbanded now too~)
    Schwarz Stein (good techno/trance music, but they disbanded too lol)
    GO!GO!7188 (one of the few, very very few bands with chicks actually playing instruments well)
    Yellow Machineguns Malice Mizer
    Charcoal Filter Tsubaki
    D (ish okay~) Kagrra
    Love Psychedelico

i've heard of newer j-rock bands. they all seem to be mimicking each other =/ and i've heard a lot of bands come out with TERRIBLE singers. i think its an epidemic, but luckily its mostly in the visual kei genre~ lol
  • The_Little_BusterThe_Little_Buster Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I've been rather stubborn and tend to listen to my main 3 (mainly because I'm picky and have been spoiled by their music lol)

My main 3 are:

1. the pillows (my favorite band whom I would compare to The Beatles any day of the week)
    2. ZEPPET STORE (greatest unknown J-Rock band EVER, I'd liken them to a Japanese Radiohead except all their albums are either another The Bends or OK Computer in terms of how the music sounds)
    3. L'Arc~en~Ciel (Definitely a very creative group and also an extremely talented ensemble of musicians, ken and tetsu are definitely a great guitar/bass team that I would liken to Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee)

And pretty much I enjoy all 3 groups side bands (especially S.O.A.P.)

Other bands I'm interested in and listen to: AKG, ART-SCHOOL, Supercar, THE ALFEE, hide, Kaela Kimura, Noodles, wino, The Babystars, X Japan, Zi:Kill, Luna Sea, Buck Tick
  • Setsu102Setsu102 Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    The Pillows
    Asian Kung-Fu Gen (Aji-Kun)
    Maximum the Hormone

Those are my top three favorite.
  • LXscopeLXscope Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    A friend of mine is in love with this one Japanese song, I can't think of the name but I will find out and post it here.

He tried to request it for Guitar Hero (for some diversity) because it has some sick guitar in it.
  • DestnaruDestnaru Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    I love the Japanese rock music.
    I can't understand the words but lets face the facts, it's all about the same stuff anyway.
    It sounds really cool though when you do learn the words and people say, "hey! that is Japanese isn't it?"

I like the Latin Rock music too but I can understand that because I speak Spanish.

I really think that the developers should add an international mix to the selections because Rock music is not exclusively English language.
    Just my opinion.
    edited January 2008
    Yeah there are quite a few Japanese bands that are honestly just better bands PERIOD than some of the crap that is here in America so I think it's about time some of these bands finally got recognized.

I think L'Arc~en~Ciel would be a perfect fit for Rock Band since they're a very significant group that has countless fans in both Japan and a strong following in America (they're even starting to release L'Arc's albums on iTunes USA), plus their songs generally require a bit of technical proficiency to play (even the ever so crappy and overrated Ready Steady Go) on all sides of the equation.
  • anyaanya Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    i'm old school, so x-japan. we own the live at the budokan LDs.

otherwise, dir en grey are pretty interesting. more melodic speed metal. i likes it much. however, visual kei just annoys me in the end, because so frequently, they only have the looks, and no talent. kinda like hair metal became in the late 80's (how about some firehouse everyone!)
    edited January 2008
    anya;249435 said:
    i'm old school, so x-japan. we own the live at the budokan LDs.

otherwise, dir en grey are pretty interesting. more melodic speed metal. i likes it much. however, visual kei just annoys me in the end, because so frequently, they only have the looks, and no talent. kinda like hair metal became in the late 80's (how about some firehouse everyone!)
    yea, same here. i'm mostly into the earliy visual kei (buck-tick, x-japan. a little later, malice mizer~). a lot of the stuff out now is.. sadly ripping off diru or each other period.
    but if you move out of the visual kei into just normal bands, you'll find some gems i think =]

>The_Little_Buster
    i love kimura kaela. i know most don't consider her jrock because she's just a singer, but her music is great. =]
  • lintballlintball Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Did anyone mention EZO?
    edited January 2008
    pretty_pink_pistol;251639 said:
    yea, same here. i'm mostly into the earliy visual kei (buck-tick, x-japan. a little later, malice mizer~). a lot of the stuff out now is.. sadly ripping off diru or each other period.
    but if you move out of the visual kei into just normal bands, you'll find some gems i think =]

>The_Little_Buster
    i love kimura kaela. i know most don't consider her jrock because she's just a singer, but her music is great. =]
    Really? I'd consider her to be J-Rock to an extent since she has quite a lot of her songs backed by actual Rock music even if they are intended as pop lol. But yeah her music is great, although I actually like her more poppier songs like ano koro, happiness!!!, You, Whatever Are You Looking For?, sola, I♥hug, and Deep Blue Sky.
  • KenzinFiveKenzinFive Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I find this thread's lack of Sambomaster and Polysics disturbing.

I was lucky enough to see Polysics live as they opened for Say Anything and Hello Goodbye. My friend and I (the singer for our in-game band, The Dude and Catastrophe) came for the Polysics and left once they finished. It was awesome.

The best part was seeing all of the other bands' fans not knowing what to make of the acid-Devo-Jap-rock that was blowing their minds and rocking harder than whatever scenester band they came to see.
  • SlitN33_B33rZSlitN33_B33rZ Unsigned
    edited January 2008
  • Leni PockyLeni Pocky Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I listen to several Japanese electronica groups (DJ Sharpnel is ****ing insane). Other than that, mostly Dir En Grey and Sex Machineguns.
  • eVan_DieseleVan_Diesel Rising Star
    edited January 2008
  • Valery FayeValery Faye Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Whoa! POLYSICS! I haven't seem them live in ages, they have a new single out as of late and I've been trying to find it but I think it was a short-print..
    edited January 2008
    Cool, it's nice to see this burst of more appreciation for Japanese music.
  • Zerozaki_IshikiZerozaki_Ishiki Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    The Pillows and Goofy's Holiday are among my all time favorite bands. I'm hoping we'll see a few tracks like that when/if the game gets released in Japan.
    edited January 2008
    The_Little_Buster;251877 said:
    Really? I'd consider her to be J-Rock to an extent since she has quite a lot of her songs backed by actual Rock music even if they are intended as pop lol. But yeah her music is great, although I actually like her more poppier songs like ano koro, happiness!!!, You, Whatever Are You Looking For?, sola, I♥hug, and Deep Blue Sky.
    have you heard one of her newer songs YELLOW? its reallllly good, i can't wait to get that album..! lol
    edited January 2008
    Actually I need to get back into her music. I've been busy so I haven't been able to check out youtube extensively for the new songs.
  • TDGChadoTDGChado Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    aqua timez
    yui
    UVERworld
    home made kazoku
    im noob..
    -_-
    edited January 2008
    controlle.et is a good place for current japanese music videos. its a lot of j-hip hop and j-pop, but jrock bands pop up every so often =]
    edited January 2008
    Ah, thanks for the tip. Crunchy Roll is also a good one but at times it can seem a bit lacking in content depending on the artist.
  • trilidartrilidar Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    Personally, I'm more of a J-Pop fan than J-Rock (don't start throwing things!).

My tops favs are:

the indigo
    every little thing

My tastes tend to be more almost folk music style bands and I'm not exactly a huge fan of high-pitched 'moppet' groups like SweetS or Morning Mesume, however I have been known to listen to a song or two here or there over the years if it was catchy enough.

tril
  • ShadosShados Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    The Pillows and Maximum the Hormone.
    edited January 2008
    trilidar;262741 said:
    Personally, I'm more of a J-Pop fan than J-Rock (don't start throwing things!).

My tops favs are:

the indigo
    every little thing

My tastes tend to be more almost folk music style bands and I'm not exactly a huge fan of high-pitched 'moppet' groups like SweetS or Morning Mesume, however I have been known to listen to a song or two here or there over the years if it was catchy enough.

tril
    oh, if you like those bands, check out Love Psychedelico. they've got a nice style. DAI is kinda... folky.. when they want to be? they cross genres a lot i think lol
    i must admit that.. Morning Musume is my guilty pleasure. especially MiniMoni lol they're so cute =3
  • Citizen-InsaneCitizen-Insane Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Boris is great, Pink in particular. I can't wait for their new album.

I also love Boredoms. They're 77 drummer show in the middle of Brooklyn Bridge Park this past summer was brilliant.
  • pyro-eddypyro-eddy Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    I started out as a big J Rock fan, but these days I mostly listen to ealy metal and hard rock; but the pillows are still my favorite band. the pillows need to be in rock band so bad.
    edited January 2008
    ^Yeah definitely, the pillows need a lot of love here in the States.
  • lightsout97lightsout97 Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    Doping Panda is just plain awesome. They are great.
    edited January 2008
    the pillows and l'arc~en~ciel have already gotten sooooo much time over in the states. Shonen Knife is also state-side often too. they're great lol
    but i'd really like to see other bands come over. they're so lazy over there =/ lol