Future Exportability

arrancar47arrancar47 Unsigned
edited October 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
So, I am almost positive this has been asked a million times before but I want to hear some opinions.

Do you think that at some point in the future they will create a patch that will allow Beatles Rock Band Songs to be exported to the Rock Band Library and made playable in other games? I know that the developers have said over and over how it just wouldn't make sense and how the three-part harmonies and backgrounds would make it impossible or too difficult. However, RB3 is going to have harmonies and it uses the same engine either way doesn't it? I would definitely pay to get the Beatles into my RB library and I'm sure Harmonix would benefit greatly from doing this. However, I won't hold my breath I just want to know what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• MikachuMikachu Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Export will never be a reality until the rights holders agree. Shame, because The Beatles will never be played in my house again for reasons other than achievements. (No, I don't hate the Beatles. Almost all I play on piano is Beatles songs.)
  • ColbyTheShortieColbyTheShortie Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    IT would be nice to but it wont happen if it would update for pro modes it will be just as fine
  • KudoKudo Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Absolutely not.
  • Video GamerVideo Gamer Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    The only way it'll happen is if the people representing the Beatles agree to an export.

Maybe a petition is in order...?
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2010
    Even if they were okay with it, it would be far too expensive for Harmonix to license ~75 Beatles recordings to another game.
  • arrancar47arrancar47 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    You know it's just that it is such a hassle to play Beatles songs in Rock Band, especially if you just want to play one or two with friends. It is really sad.

How expensive do you think the licensing would actually be?
  • ColbyTheShortieColbyTheShortie Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    arrancar47;4068640 said:
    You know it's just that it is such a hassle to play Beatles songs in Rock Band, especially if you just want to play one or two with friends. It is really sad.

How expensive do you think the licensing would actually be?
    582 Trillion Dollars:D
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited October 2010
    It is something I would love to happen, but I don't beleive we will ever see it. Harmonix has always said The Beatles is on an island by itself.

Been a while since I put The Beatles disc in... With so many songs available for RB2, I just can't seem to take the time to swap discs for a couple of songs when there are so many great songs in RB2...
  • CaptainHarlockCaptainHarlock Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    You know, you guys act like changing discs is akin to brain surgery. Is it really that difficult to get off the couch, eject one disc, then put in another? The entire operation maybe takes about 20 seconds. THE HORROR!!

Dowloadable music, iTunes, iPods, and playlists have made some of you, and I really hate saying this, completely and utterly lazy. If changing a disc is that much work, and that much of a hassle, then there's no other explanation. I really would hate to see what some of you would have done during the vinyl days. Just think, you had to raise the lid on the turntable, I mean that alone takes two seconds! Unthinkable!!
  • arrancar47arrancar47 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    CaptainHarlock;4069153 said:
    You know, you guys act like changing discs is akin to brain surgery. Is it really that difficult to get off the couch, eject one disc, then put in another? The entire operation maybe takes about 20 seconds. THE HORROR!!

Dowloadable music, iTunes, iPods, and playlists have made some of you, and I really hate saying this, completely and utterly lazy. If changing a disc is that much work, and that much of a hassle, then there's no other explanation. I really would hate to see what some of you would have done during the vinyl days. Just think, you had to raise the lid on the turntable, I mean that alone takes two seconds! Unthinkable!!
    No it isn't that it is hard, it's just that it isn't worth it. Why bother changing discs for one song when I have access to over 1000 songs in RB2. If I lived during the vinyl days I would have only listened to full albums all the time.
    edited October 2010
    That's why when I play The Beatles: Rock Band I play more than one song.
  • RADIO CHRISRADIO CHRIS Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    not going to happen
  • coescastlecoescastle Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I wish it would happen, otherwise I will never play The Beatles game again especially after RB3.
    edited October 2010

No, it is not difficult... and I stand when I play and I don't own an iPod and I still buy CDs and sometimes vinyl.

But, I don't play The Beatles anymore because there is just too much to choose from in RB. I can either play another song or load a new game... So, yeah, I would much rather play another song while I am jazzed up from playing the last one and not "kill the moment" by swapping discs. I know, I know, it is not that hard, but I also don't like answering the phone while having sex, it kinda ruins the mood... even though that doesn't take very long either.

So, my The Beatles game and the $52 world of DLC was just a waste of money and I regret buying it... a great game, but it just doesn't get played...

...why are we having this conversation again? We all know one another's position on it and arguing about it will not change anyone's thoughts.
    edited October 2010
    arrancar47;4069782 said:
    No it isn't that it is hard, it's just that it isn't worth it. Why bother changing discs for one song when I have access to over 1000 songs in RB2. If I lived during the vinyl days I would have only listened to full albums all the time.
    So you can't play the Beatles Rock Band as a "stand alone" game because you feel that now in the 21st century that the "album" is an outdated concept? That makes PERFECT sense! :rolleyes:
    edited October 2010
    Sayburr;4070179 said:
    No, it is not difficult... and I stand when I play and I don't own an iPod and I still buy CDs and sometimes vinyl.

But, I don't play The Beatles anymore because there is just too much to choose from in RB. I can either play another song or load a new game... So, yeah, I would much rather play another song while I am jazzed up from playing the last one and not "kill the moment" by swapping discs. I know, I know, it is not that hard, but I also don't like answering the phone while having sex, it kinda ruins the mood... even though that doesn't take very long either.

So, my The Beatles game and the $52 world of DLC was just a waste of money and I regret buying it... a great game, but it just doesn't get played...

...why are we having this conversation again? We all know one another's position on it and arguing about it will not change anyone's thoughts.
    I take from the comment that your ADD riddled attention span is far too short to be diverted for the 20-30 seconds it would take to ... look a squirrel! Answering the phone when having sex? You're comparing that to swapping discs? Take the phone of the hook next time. Problem solved.

True, arguing is not going to change anything. Also, asking the same question over and over.... and over... and OVER again is not going to change anything either. It's beginning to look like the Bill Murray movie "Ground Hog Day" around here.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    CaptainHarlock;4071411 said:
    So you can't play the Beatles Rock Band as a "stand alone" game because you feel that now in the 21st century that the "album" is an outdated concept? That makes PERFECT sense! :rolleyes:
    No. He just doesn't want to when he can just stay with RB2 and have thousands of songs available to him, instead of just less than 100.
    CaptainHarlock;4071423 said:
    I take from the comment that your ADD riddled attention span is far too short to be diverted for the 20-30 seconds it would take to ... look a squirrel! Answering the phone when having sex? You're comparing that to swapping discs? Take the phone of the hook next time. Problem solved.

True, arguing is not going to change anything. Also, asking the same question over and over.... and over... and OVER again is not going to change anything either. It's beginning to look like the Bill Murray movie "Ground Hog Day" around here.
    Once again, this has NOTHING to do with having a short attention span because we live in the "iPod" generation. Especially with someone like Sayburr, who to my understanding is fairly old (in comparison to most people on the RB forums Sayburr, don't take that offensively :D) and didn't grow up in the "iPod" generation.

All it comes down to is that switching discs kills the mood. When you've just rocked out to Iron Maiden or something on RB2, it really puts a damper on the mood when you stop to switch discs. I don't know if you've ever played RB with a large group of people and done this but trust me, it's a mood killer.

And then there's the even bigger issue of just wanting to play one Beatles song. I don't want to have to switch the disc to TB:RB and back just to play Hello, Goodbye then go back to playing Queen or something. Are there times where we just wanna play Beatles songs? Of course, and we do that. But there are even more times where we want to play one or two songs from a variety of different artists. And that's kind of hard to do with the Beatles when you have to switch discs just to play a few songs and then have to switch back.

Look, I'm not saying an export should happen. I'm not demanding one. I don't even care if we ever get one or not. All I'm saying is that it would be nice for the option to be there because it makes things more convenient and would probably give Beatles songs more play time during RB parties since they're there with all the other 800+ artists in RB.
    edited October 2010
    CaptainHarlock;4071423 said:
    Answering the phone when having sex? You're comparing that to swapping discs? Take the phone of the hook next time. Problem solved.
    Right, mood killer... Not swapping discs is the same thing as taking the phone off the hook... When your really getting into it you don’t want any interruptions.

Damn, reliving this day again. Maybe I will steal that groundhog and drive off a cliff today...
  • Zachy7777Zachy7777 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Sayburr;4070179 said:
    ...But I also don't like answering the phone while having sex, it kinda ruins the mood... even though that doesn't take very long either.
    Uh, thanks.
  • HexMinorHexMinor Unsigned
    edited October 2010

Hey look everybody! It's "that guy"!

Biggest mistake they made was not allowing exportablity, the second mistake was abandoning DLC. My copy sits collecting dust while RB2 gets played constantly. I don't care enough about it to look at is a stand alone game, which is why I waited until I found it for $20 in the Gamestop Bargain Bin before I bought it. Had the songs been exportable, I'd have bought it on release day. I'm not a purist that gets all weepy at the thought of a player created avatar playing "Eight Days a Week". To answer the stupid point/question that is always brought up in these threads.....yes, it is too much of a hassle to change disks.

BTW, I come from the "switch out the cartridge on the 2600", "stack the LP's on record player", "get up to change the channel by turning the knob", "use a roadmap to figure out where you're going", "watch the tv show at the time it's aired or wait until next year to catch it" era.
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited October 2010
    well, the game hasn't been played in probably 8 months i guess? would play and or buy more dlc from the beatles if it was exported to rb3, but alas, it looks dated, dont care to just play beatles, they are not the greatest band in the world, and at this point, would not ever EVER buy any more beatles dlc for a game that is not allowed into my ps3.

when they finally wake up, the export will happen, til then, millions of dollars will never be made because of some stupid bull****.
    edited October 2010
    master2uall;4073735 said:
    well, the game hasn't been played in probably 8 months i guess? would play and or buy more dlc from the beatles if it was exported to rb3, but alas, it looks dated, dont care to just play beatles, they are not the greatest band in the world, and at this point, would not ever EVER buy any more beatles dlc for a game that is not allowed into my ps3.

when they finally wake up, the export will happen, til then, millions of dollars will never be made because of some stupid bull****.
    Considering what they (the surviving Beatles and the estates of Lennon and Harrison) pull in from the music alone, I'd say the prospect of appeasing gamers is slim to none.
    edited October 2010
    HexMinor;4073025 said:
    Hey look everybody! It's "that guy"!

Biggest mistake they made was not allowing exportablity, the second mistake was abandoning DLC. My copy sits collecting dust while RB2 gets played constantly. I don't care enough about it to look at is a stand alone game, which is why I waited until I found it for $20 in the Gamestop Bargain Bin before I bought it. Had the songs been exportable, I'd have bought it on release day. I'm not a purist that gets all weepy at the thought of a player created avatar playing "Eight Days a Week". To answer the stupid point/question that is always brought up in these threads.....yes, it is too much of a hassle to change disks.

BTW, I come from the "switch out the cartridge on the 2600", "stack the LP's on record player", "get up to change the channel by turning the knob", "use a roadmap to figure out where you're going", "watch the tv show at the time it's aired or wait until next year to catch it" era.

You know something, I LIKE being "that guy". That guy who appreciates rock n' roll history. That guy who picked up a guitar and felt the electricity course through his veins when he played his first A chord. The guy who changes his strings and tunes for a half hour to get it to sound "just right". The guy who goes to record shows and spends hours combing the bins looking for something he doesn't have. The guy who drove two hours through the rain to see Paul McCartney at Foxboro Stadium, and had the rain hold off for the entire show. The guy who took off his shoes when he crossed Abbey Road. The guy who went to Liverpool and stared at the original door of the Cavern. The guy who sees that he's part of a bigger world. It makes me unique.

I know "gamers" look at things through the lens of technology. I however think that's a rather bland and colorless existence. I prefer to look at them through the prism of music. I don't apologize for that.

I know it's not cool to stand out from the crowd in the homogenized 21st century, but that's what I am, and I embrace that.
  • HexMinorHexMinor Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    CaptainHarlock;4073775 said:
    You know something, I LIKE being "that guy". That guy who appreciates rock n' roll history. That guy who picked up a guitar and felt the electricity course through his veins when he played his first A chord. The guy who changes his strings and tunes for a half hour to get it to sound "just right". The guy who goes to record shows and spends hours combing the bins looking for something he doesn't have. The guy who drove two hours through the rain to see Paul McCartney at Foxboro Stadium, and had the rain hold off for the entire show. The guy who took off his shoes when he crossed Abbey Road. The guy who went to Liverpool and stared at the original door of the Cavern. The guy who sees that he's part of a bigger world. It makes me unique.

I know "gamers" look at things through the lens of technology. I however think that's a rather bland and colorless existence. I prefer to look at them through the prism of music. I don't apologize for that.

I know it's not cool to stand out from the crowd in the homogenized 21st century, but that's what I am, and I embrace that.
    Wow, that's really insightful and interestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    edited October 2010
    master2uall;4073735 said:
    Did it ever occur to you that it would COST millions of dollars to license more than 70 Beatles recordings to the main Rock Band series?
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    HexMinor;4073826 said:
    Wow, that's really insightful and interesting, I am sorry for being so rude.
    fix'd
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    This issue is definitely separating the diehard Beatles fans from the more casual ones. :cool:
    the second mistake was abandoning DLC
    Where was it ever said that they did this? They'd be crazy to not release at least one more batch of DLC. But, of course, with Green Day and RB3 taking up most of their time over the last year, it's easy to see why they haven't worked on any in that time.
  • coescastlecoescastle Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    HotMangoChutney;4075620 said:
    This issue is definitely separating the diehard Beatles fans from the more casual ones. :cool:
    I totally agree and there would be more money to be made from them if they export, but if you guys say they have enough money then oh well. I already traded in the game anyway as I am one of the casual ones and could give a **** less with RB3 coming out, lol.
    edited October 2010
    Here's more reasons why it's not going to happen:

-Ever notice that you almost never hear Beatles recordings in other media? For the film I Am Sam, they wanted to use The Beatles' music for the soundtrack, but they had to commission other artists to cover the songs because each Beatles recording would have cost $300,000 to license multiplied by 17 songs. The Beatles: Rock Band has over 70 songs. To anyone who thinks there's a lot of money to be made, they would have to sell a LOT of export keys just to break even, and there's a lot of money to lose.
    -About half of the disc songs and most of the DLC take place in the studio. The gameplay of the main Rock Band series consists entirely of live concerts. Because The Beatles are in the studio, Harmonix can do stuff that would make no sense in a live concert such as the band breaking down at the end of "Good Morning Good Morning" or a number of songs fading out.

And that's just assuming that everyone at Apple would be okay with it.