This saddens me :(

Comments

• The Hungry SamuraiThe Hungry Samurai Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    que?

I'm pretty sure LRB RB1 and RB2 can all expect some new DLC next tuesday
  • OddbrotherOddbrother Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    A shame. No backwards compatibility. No thoughts about making it happen, either.

Wait, SERIOUSLY!?
  • Mickey BunsMickey Buns Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    We should get something on the 19th ...Right
  • AerithLovesTifaAerithLovesTifa Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    FFF I meant next week lemme fix that
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2010
    Oddbrother;4086248 said:
    A shame. No backwards compatibility. No thoughts about making it happen, either.

Wait, SERIOUSLY!?
    Unlike Guitar Hero, at least Rock Band has the excuse of keys and pro charts (I'm guessing separate stems for keyboards are the big reason). There comes a point when supporting games from 2-3 years ago becomes impractical.
  • ReedusReedus Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    I wasn't aware that NO DLC would be compatible with the older games from now on. source? I thought there would still be regular DLC and for some songs, there would be a small fee to upgrade them to have RB3 features. did I miss something?
  • skyttskyttskyttskytt Headliner
    edited October 2010
    Reedus;4086496 said:
    I wasn't aware that NO DLC would be compatible with the older games from now on. source? I thought there would still be regular DLC and for some songs, there would be a small fee to upgrade them to have RB3 features. did I miss something?
    There have been statements made a few times by Harmonix members that a new file format is required for RB3 DLC, and that this new format is incompatible with existing titles. Whether that format applies to all post-launch songs is something we don't know, as well as what specifically causes the need for the new format.
  • ReedusReedus Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    right. something we don't know. so no one should be getting their panties in a bunch just yet, right?
  • JPSChampagneJPSChampagne Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I think it's been pretty clearly stated that DLC from this point on is for Rock Band 3 alone. Rock Band 1, 2, and Lego are all seeing the end of their run as an avenue for DLC. The new features require a new format that is incompatible with older titles.
  • slammer612slammer612 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Reedus;4086496 said:
    Yes you missed something. Source do a search, its been said multiple times.
    edited October 2010
    Rock Band 2 will still be technically be getting DLC til at least RBN2 is out and even still the Wii and PS3 version will because of the back catalog
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    AerithLovesTifa;4086570 said:
    Rock Band 2 will still be technically be getting DLC til at least RBN2 is out and even still the Wii and PS3 version will because of the back catalog
    Source?
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    AerithLovesTifa;4086244 said:

Edit: I can't fix the title can a mod fix it for me <_<</div>

no you can fix it go to
    edit post
    advanced options
    then the first box should have your title in it edit it there
    edited October 2010
    Santa Claustrophobia;4086576 said:
    Source?

It's common sense RBN was built around RB2 which is why Lego and RB1 can't use it. Since RBN2 is being built with RB3 in mind RB2 is safe til RBN2 is up and remember theres still a bunch of RBN songs that have yet to make it to other consoles
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    RB3 DLC (DownLoadable Content)
    Due to changes in the file formats Harmonix is using for downloadable content, song packs released after RB3's release won't work in Rock Band 2, effectively putting an end to continued support for the first two games in the series. - Giantbomb Confirmed by HMX 54:01 into OXM Podcast #222 - See Compatibility section below for more information

source:
    http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171722

That's why Sayburr made the RB3 Rumors and Facts thread stickied at the very top of this page, people. Enough with the speculation and misinformation --- it's right there ^ in black and white (okay, red)
  • agentnncagentnnc Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    This is good news to me, it means that any songs released from here on will have pro keys. It's a shame other bands released recently probably won't be getting them.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    AerithLovesTifa;4086584 said:
    It's common sense RBN was built around RB2 which is why Lego and RB1 can't use it. Since RBN2 is being built with RB3 in mind RB2 is safe til RBN2 is up and remember theres still a bunch of RBN songs that have yet to make it to other consoles
    LRB can't use RBN tracks but can use 'standard' tracks. You are right that it seems logical that RBN tracks will continue to be usable in RB2. But there are plenty of things that would seem 'logical' continuations of expected results and then HMX does something counter to that.

That's when the 'HMX doesn't care about ______' threads start. People assumed what was going to happen without confirmation and started pointing fingers.
    edited October 2010
    There is absolutely no difference between RBN tracks that come out on October 25 and RBN tracks that come out on October 27. They're still going to be playtested in Rock Band 2. The only reason they wouldn't work is if Harmonix were cutting off support for the old games just to sell the new one, and if that was how they rolled, why didn't they do that with Rock Band 1?
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    SirDavidTLynch;4086756 said:
    There is absolutely no difference between RBN tracks that come out on October 25 and RBN tracks that come out on October 27. They're still going to be playtested in Rock Band 2. The only reason they wouldn't work is if Harmonix were cutting off support for the old games just to sell the new one, and if that was how they rolled, why didn't they do that with Rock Band 1?
    Because the "transition" from RB1 to RB2 was largely cosmetic, and didn't involve any change to game mechanics at all. The transition from RB2 to RB3 involves an entirely new file format that encompasses the tracks for keys, harmonies and Protabs. The format changes.

It remains to be seen whether people who cling to RB2 will still be able to download new RBN 1.0 tracks. RBN 2.0 is scheduled to go beta immediately upon RB3 launch, but the first official songs aren't expected until Q1 2011. Whether or not the RBN Store will still be accessible to RB2 players hasn't been addressed yet, or whether or not it will be modified to be only accessible from an RB3 in-game.
  • SupaThugPimpinSupaThugPimpin Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    agentnnc;4086615 said:
    This is good news to me, it means that any songs released from here on will have pro keys. It's a shame other bands released recently probably won't be getting them.
    Not every song is going to have keys.
  • BarefootBarefoot Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    I can't complain. We got DLC every week for a 2 year old game. How many games can claim that?
  • Drama 313Drama 313 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    cherokeesam;4086597 said:
    [B]RB3 DLC (DownLoadable Content)
    Due to changes in the file formats Harmonix is using for downloadable content, song packs released after RB3's release won't work in Rock Band 2, effectively putting an end to continued support for the first two games in the series.

What a crock of sh*t. Makes me wanna sell all of my RB junk and just tell them to get to hell. Too bad they already have hundreds of dollars from me on DLC.

I for one am not about to rush out and drop god only knows how much money for Rock Band 3 just so I can get new DLC and play on "pro" mode.

More marketing schemes designed to extract as much money out of the consumer as possible while screwing them over in the process. Thanks for forcing us to buy RB3 HMX if we want DLC :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • GrimCrackerzGrimCrackerz Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Congratulations. You bumped a week old thread just so you could whine like a toddler.

EDIT: Also, God is not privy to information about Rock Band 3's price tag that you are not. It's $60 for the game and $130 for the keyboard bundle.
  • SetherexSetherex Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Drama 313;4110753 said:
    I for one am not about to rush out and drop god only knows how much money for Rock Band 3
    It's $60. Just like any retail game. And comes with 83 songs. That you can play. Just like Rock Band 2...
    Drama 313;4110753 said:
    just so I can get new DLC and play on "pro" mode.
    DLC is $2. And you can play it in regular mode. Without pro mode. Just like Rock Band 2...
  • ReaverReaver Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Drama 313;4110753 said:
    What a crock of sh*t. Makes me wanna sell all of my RB junk and just tell them to get to hell. Too bad they already have hundreds of dollars from me on DLC.

I for one am not about to rush out and drop god only knows how much money for Rock Band 3 just so I can get new DLC and play on "pro" mode.

More marketing schemes designed to extract as much money out of the consumer as possible while screwing them over in the process. Thanks for forcing us to buy RB3 HMX if we want DLC :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Yeah. Shame one anyone who makes and distributes their product and wants you to buy it :rolleyes:
  • NeverenderNeverender Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    I think 3 years with DLC every week was a good run for a game.
    edited October 2010
    Drama 313;4110753 said:
    What a crock of sh*t. More marketing schemes designed to extract as much money out of the consumer as possible while screwing them over in the process. Thanks for forcing us to buy RB3 HMX if we want DLC :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Just a few posts north...
    SirDavidTLynch;4086756 said:
    ... if Harmonix were cutting off support for the old games just to sell the new one, and if that was how they rolled, why didn't they do that with Rock Band 1?
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I dunno, it seems RB1 and RB2 could be patched to ignore the keyboard and pro stuff completely. Since legacy instruments are getting continued support in RB3, what about the legacy games?
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited October 2010
    MofoMan2000;4111278 said:
    I dunno, it seems RB1 and RB2 could be patched to ignore the keyboard and pro stuff completely. Since legacy instruments are getting continued support in RB3, what about the legacy games?
    Coding isn't always that simple. When adding as many new features as RB3 is adding to the format, there were likely very intricate file structure changes. Often time, adding backwards compatibility isn't possible in order to move forward with a franchise.

I guess it could be possible, but it would probably increase the file size per song quite a bit. I know this probably isn't the best example, but let's take Microsoft Office for instance. You can save a .doc file in Office 2007 instead of a .docx to be compatible with legacy Office programs, but the file size is significantly increased to keep the full functionality of the current software while simultaneously being readable in the previous.

And Drama, seriously, for a guy your age, I'd expect a little less whining. You're not a kid. Grow up already.
    edited October 2010
    Maybe the old games could be patched to play one more audio stem than the engine was intended to handle, but it would be too much effort with really nothing to gain.