Charters.. will you map 2 hand pianos and try to push it through?

BaltarBaltar Opening Act
edited October 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I was totally psyched about the keyboard, when they showed that symbol after the Green Day demo, I literally freaked out. Then its come to my attention recently (i guess i wasn't read enough about it) that the keyboard will be charted for just 1 hand, no piano parts.

I'm not sure how much Harmonix has let be known to the RBN community regarding charting the keyboard, but, lets say you guys got your hands on some classical music, or coldplay, whatever.. Would you try to forsake the rules and chart both hands as a piano? Do what they do with drums, even though there 4 drums, the drummer might use 7, but, who cares, just keep hitting the blue!

Sorry, i know this is kinda a silly question and immature way to go about it, but i was really planning on getting the keyboard, looking forward to what RBN might do with it.. and this no 2 hands will be charted stuff just feels unnecessary. Thoughts?

Comments

• SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2010
    There's probably rules saying that every keyboard part has to be playable with one hand, and would otherwise fail peer review. This is for people who play standing with the strap, or using the MIDI pro adaptor with a keytar, accordion, &c. Also to make it infinitely easier to adapt an 88-key part to just 25 keys.
  • MagnetMagnet Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Obviously not all details have been released yet in terms of RBN keyboard tools, but let's assume that only one hand should be authored.

Even if you wanted to author two hands, I don't see how that would be feasible with only a two-octave set of keys to work with. With respect to most classical music, you'd end up with a bunch of awkward overlapping hands that, in my opinion, would be even further from playing traditional piano than using just the one hand correctly.
  • MarklefordMarkleford Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    To use the cliche: "This is ROCK Band, not Solo Piano (Without) Band."

I continue to not understand why people want to pigeonhole what a keyboard can do, or why they want to play piano etudes within a video game. I *can* get that it may be their favorite form of "notation", but there *are* alternatives out there, rather than hamstringing yourself to the confines of what you know.

If you want to play full piano pieces, you're free to buy a bigger keyboard. If you want to play them under computer guidance, there's even piano training software out there.

And I know this logic can be applied to other instruments, but within a band game context it makes even less sense to showcase a solo instrument.

For now you get two octaves of keyboard to play on, with even less showing on screen. Using one hand for block chords, melodies, or hooks makes the most sense. Can't we just have *fun* with it instead of complaining how we can't have rote scoring on our favorite Chopin pieces?

- m
  • Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Well, you'd probably be exciting if we got a Yngwie solo or something. It's the same reason. Chopin would be really fun to play - well, if you could beat it.

But yeah, this is unfeasible and I think the one-handed approach was the best way to go about this.
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited October 2010
    The real question is, will someone try to push through a second guitar chart in the keyboard slot? Would it be permitted to not chart a song for prokeys but chart it for regular keys?
  • KariodudeKariodude Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    It's not possible. Literally, with the way the game works, two hands wouldn't be possible. The game doesn't show all the keys at once and your hands would be further apart than the notes shown would allow. That leaves you playing notes that are off screen.
  • Coach ZCoach Z Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    You can tell this is gonna be just like crying about expert+ / double bass!
  • Lady SiaraLady Siara Metal Maiden
    edited October 2010
    Coach Z;4090205 said:
    You can tell this is gonna be just like crying about expert+ / double bass!
    I don't see a problem with complaints about either of these things.

I'm very happy with the keyboard and can't wait to get good at it, and the same goes for pro drums. But, it is something they can add down the road. :)
  • Coach ZCoach Z Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Lady Siara;4090240 said:
    I don't see a problem with complaints about either of these things.
    I agree with you there. I just wish there weren't so many separate threads! But back to this first pro-full-keyboard subject...

I think it's pretty out of the question for RB3, given the number of lanes, and the keyboard shift mechanism. It's a fine suggestion for an RB4 wishlist.

How would this ever fit on the screen in a multiple player setting?
    edited October 2010
    Coach Z;4090441 said:
    I agree with you there. I just wish there weren't so many separate threads! But back to this first pro-full-keyboard subject...

I think it's pretty out of the question for RB3, given the number of lanes, and the keyboard shift mechanism. It's a fine suggestion for an RB4 wishlist.

How would this ever fit on the screen in a multiple player setting?
    Nah - two hands will never work in rock band. Just not enough space for multiplayer.
  • BaltarBaltar Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Okay, now, I'm not educated on keyboard or piano, so I'm not going to pretend to fully understand the depth of whats going on here.. But, the argument about the fact that we can't map two hands because of overlap or not enough keys on screen at one time (17 on pro mode from what i can tell)

Watch these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMOUiIUZ684
    The first is a Japanese game, Beatmania, i think I guess that is a piano/keyboard simulator.. Now, i might not know whats going on, he may only be using 1 hand for that, although I dont think he is, and it does have quite a few less available notes than Rock Band 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwBhMeipkQ&feature=related
    And this is someone playing the actual song from the game.. Again, i might not be interpreting it right

Now, i do understand is SOME circumstances will cause issues where overlap would be a problem and honestly, the chart will have to go looney for a second or two.. It happens on expert drums all the time. Just from what i can tell, its no where near impossible or would even result in a "bad" gameplay experience.

Thats just what im seeing, like i said, im not educated on the keys.
    edited October 2010
    Baltar;4100522 said:
    Okay, now, I'm not educated on keyboard or piano, so I'm not going to pretend to fully understand the depth of whats going on here.. But, the argument about the fact that we can't map two hands because of overlap or not enough keys on screen at one time (17 on pro mode from what i can tell)

Watch these two videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMOUiIUZ684
    The first is a Japanese game, Beatmania, i think I guess that is a piano/keyboard simulator.. Now, i might not know whats going on, he may only be using 1 hand for that, although I dont think he is, and it does have quite a few less available notes than Rock Band 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDwBhMeipkQ&feature=related
    And this is someone playing the actual song from the game.. Again, i might not be interpreting it right

Now, i do understand is SOME circumstances will cause issues where overlap would be a problem and honestly, the chart will have to go looney for a second or two.. It happens on expert drums all the time. Just from what i can tell, its no where near impossible or would even result in a "bad" gameplay experience.

Thats just what im seeing, like i said, im not educated on the keys.
    Nope. Not the same. That game doesn not use a note-for-note transcription. Basically, about 5 octaves of keys are squashed into one. That's not how rock band's keys operate - they move up and down octaves do accomadate multiple octaves.

So yeah, that's basically impossible on Rock Band.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    It's simply not possible with the number of notes shown on screen at a time, as has been said several times already. To expand that requires you to take a lot more screen real estate, possibly removing the possibility of multiplayer, and even then you only get one octave per hand.

As for that Beatmania video, do you really want to have to play two hands worth of notes with one? It just looks gratuitously difficult to me. While there is nothing wrong with a naturally difficult one-hand part, there is a problem with making a part more difficult by effectively over-charting. I'd be surprised if there isn't a hard rule on the subject.

(Also, wow, could they have made that game any harder to read? Flashing the note track whenever you hit a note and covering the notes with the streak counter is just plain cruel.)