The Beatles "Ticket To Ride"

SisterRaySisterRay Opening Act
edited October 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Is the Beatles "Ticket To Ride" really the start of the Beatles psychedelic period or transition into their new sound?

The Beatles could have gone psychedelic as early as "Ticket To Ride”. Not so much the riff, but the prominent 'lop-sided' drums and the unusually (in 1965) long bars of droning really do sound like an anemic cousin of Tomorrow Never Knows in retrospect

Comments

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I like to think The Beatles had 4 eras:
    1. Please Please Me-Beatles For Sale
    2. Help!-Revolver
    3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band-Yellow Submarine
    4. Abbey Road-Let It Be

I'd actually agree Ticket to Ride started their semi-psychedelic era.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited October 2010
    hiimSMAP;4095685 said:
    I like to think The Beatles had 4 eras:
    1. Please Please Me-Beatles For Sale
    2. Help!-Revolver
    3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band-Yellow Submarine
    4. Abbey Road-Let It Be

I'd actually agree Ticket to Ride started their semi-psychedelic era.
    Add The White Album to the fourth era and I'll agree.
  • HotMangoChutneyHotMangoChutney Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I'd say it's more like this:

1. The Novice Era: "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You" through "From Me to You"/"Thank You Girl"
    2. The Beatlemania Era: "She Loves You"/"I'll Get You" through Beatles for Sale
    2.5. The Transitional Period: "Ticket to Ride"/"Yes It Is" through Rubber Soul
    3. The Psychedelic/Experimental Era: "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" through Magical Mystery Tour (plus "Only a Northern Song," "All Together Now," and "It's All Too Much," which weren't released until after this era had ended)
    4. The Post-Psychedelic Era: "Lady Madonna"/"The Inner Light" though to their break-up
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I would go with this.
    63-64 PPM,WTB,AHDN,BFS/I want to hold your hand, She Loves You (Beatlemania)
    1965 Help and Rubber Soul/Day Tripper, We Can't Work It Out (Transition, still Beatlemania)
    66-67 Revolver, SPLHCB, MMT/Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows (Physcadelic era)
    68-70 White Album, Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let it Be/Come Together, Get Back (Post Physcadelic and break up era)- More rock songs
  • RockStarrRockStarr Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Not only do I think Ticket to Ride was their first psychedelic song, but I think it's one of the most important songs they ever wrote because I feel that, after writing that song, The Beatles understood that they could write music for themselves and their own curiosity and not just the fans. As mentioned before, the unusual drum beat and overall nature of the song made it difficult to perform live and probably not everyone liked it because it was not the straight rock that their fans were used to. It was the beginning of an era in which they would explore all types of music
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I think it's more like this: Everything up to their first album is Phase 1. The Beatlemania Era starts just before release of their second album - Phase 2. Psychedelic era starts with Rubber Soul and goes up to when Yellow Submarine(the album) was recorded (up to winter 1967) - Phase 3. Then the attempted return to Phase 1 begins with the White Album and ends with their last album - Phase 4.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited October 2010
    Rubber Soul is more folk than psychedelic.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I don't know guys, The White Album was pretty psychedelic. Sure, not in the same style as the others, but comparing it to Abbey Road and Let it Be feels weird.
    edited October 2010
    hiimSMAP;4102045 said:
    I don't know guys, The White Album was pretty psychedelic. Sure, not in the same style as the others, but comparing it to Abbey Road and Let it Be feels weird.
    I'd Say White Album was more Rock than physhedelic.
    edited October 2010
    The only remotely psychedelic song on the White Album was probably "Cry Baby Cry"... which John wrote back to December '67.
  • Arsenal-LadArsenal-Lad Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    There's not much psychedelic with either Rubber Soul and The White Album. Sure, those albums may be a bit related to their psychedelic albums (Revolver, Sgt Peppers & MMT) but calling Rubber Soul and White Album psychedelic is wrong in my opinion.

But back to the topic, I think that Ticket To Ride was the start of The Beatles with less commercial and more experimental music.
    edited October 2010
    Isn't Norweigian wood there first physcadelic song
    edited October 2010
    Just using a sitar in a song doesn't automatically make it psychedelic. They could've just as easily used, say, a dulcimer or autoharp for that part. :cool:
    edited October 2010
    HotMangoChutney;4104698 said:
    Just using a sitar in a song doesn't automatically make it psychedelic. They could've just as easily used, say, a dulcimer or autoharp for that part. :cool:
    Sounds physcadelic. Not like I am the walrus or anything.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited October 2010
    John once called Ticket To Ride "The first metal song." Not even joking.

As for eras, I'd say it's something like this:

1.) Please Please Me - Beatles For Sale
    2.) A Hard Day's Night - Rubber Soul
    3.) Revolver - The White Album
    4.) Abbey Road - Let It Be

Putting Revolver in with their earlier albums just feels weird. I mean, think of some of the songs: "I'm Only Sleeping", "Love You To", "She Said She Said", and especially "Tomorrow Never Knows". Nothing from their early catalog is anywhere near as psychedelic.
    edited October 2010
    1966 is the start of beatles physcadlic. okay.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited October 2010
    bridog7;4104858 said:
    1966 is the start of beatles physcadlic. okay.
    It's spelled "psychedelic".

For future reference.
    edited October 2010
    TheRollingBones;4104901 said:
    It's spelled "psychedelic".

For future reference.
    I hardly ever spell it wright.:p
  • CaptainHarlockCaptainHarlock Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    It wasn't the first psychedelic song, but it definitely shows their growth as song writers. Someone else said about the drum beat, it's definitely not the standard 4/4 drum beat that we're accustomed to hearing in rock n' roll songs. It's also one of the first Beatle songs to go over three minutes. We see Paul branching out and playing guitar on this song.

Something like "I'm Only Sleeping" or "Tomorrow Never Knows" might be considered a pre-cursor to the psychedelic era.