The State of the Playstation 3 Rock Band Network store (Hint: Its not good)

Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
edited November 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So Today I went to the PS3 RBN Song, and what I found there is truley Dissapointing. Doing some Number Crunching/Counting, I came up with this:

Of the 135 Rock Band Network Songs Available on the PS3:
-51 Of them Are Metal Songs, By far most of any genre. Unofficially, 53 Metal songs, as in my honest opinion, Drowning Pool and Five Finger Death Punch are mislabeled genres
-35 of them are Rock Songs, Which is the 2nd Highest. However, 8 of these Rock songs should be relabeled as Comedy/Novelty/Other. They are the SIX Jonathan Coulton songs, Lemon Demon's Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, and Driveshaft's You All Everybody. Also, Five Finger Death Punch is mislabeled rock, and have songs available in the Metal Genre. So Really, 26 Rock Songs. A full half of whats available in the Metal Genre.
-With those EIGHT Mislabeled Novelty songs as rock, plus the actual Novelty and Other songs, and ANOTHER JoCo Song (Betty and Me) labeled under Country, thats 15 Novely Songs. Which would make it the 3rd Most songs by Genre.
-The rest is as follows: 13 Indie songs (A good number. Keep it coming), 6 Pop-Rock, 4 Prog, 4 Punk, 2 Emo, and 1 for New Wave and Urban. There's also 1 for Nu-Metal (Bodies) which could technicly be considered a 53red metal song...
-20 Bands have more than 1 song per band.
-Of those Bands, 6 are Metal Bands, and 3 are Novelty Bands.
-All 3 of those Novelty Bands have atleast 3 songs available.
-The Most songs by Artist is SEVEN Jonathan Coulton Songs and FIVE Amberian Dawn songs. The Next is 4 songs by Bang Camaro and Steve Vai, and then a number of bands with 3 songs
-In the Metal Genre 8 Bands have more than 1 song, with 3 of them having more than 2 (Amberian Dawn, Askng Alexandria and All that Remains)
-The other bands with more than 3 songs are only Band of Horses, Parry Gripp, Flight of the Choncords and Thrid Eye Blind.

The point is, that while I know we ALL HAVE DIFFERENT MUSIC TASTES, Its incredibly disappointing that a FULL HALF the PS3's Rock Band Network Store is Devoted to Metal, and of THAT OTHER HALF, a full 3rd of it is dedicated to Novelty and Comedy songs. Which only leaves about 50 songs available to users who have no interest or VERY little interest in Novelty and metal songs. Also, while I didnt count them, of those metal song, OVER HALF of them are of the Death, Core, or Speed Metal. generally the Gravely Deep Voice Gargled variety, honestly the one that has the least ammount of marketability and fanbase.

Please Harmonix, now, and in the future, while this limit of only 5 songs a week is still in place on the Playstation 3, and from what I can tell will be in effect of only 10 songs on the wii, please do what you can to limit the amount of Metal and Novelty songs, and let some other genres please get a chance to make their way over. Those of us who have no interest in Jonathan Coulton, Amberdien Dawn, and Comedy songs are consistently, week by week, getting nothing or at best, very little to choose from. There are plenty of bands with only 1 song available on the PS3 but have 3 or 4 available on the 360. Give some of these bands a chance. and even more so, there are dozens and dozens of bands who have yet to be featured in the PS3's RBN store.

Comments

• blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4102203 said:
    Those are the best sellers, and you can't say the PS3 is different because the metal sells just as well on PS3.
    And yet, up until the handling of the ps3 rbn, "best selling" and "most popular" were not the primary factors in what Harmonix released.

It really would be nice to see greater variety released on the ps3. It's been months since I went without buying something in the regular releases, but I only buy about 1 song a month on the rbn because the selection is so homogenous.
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    voodoo618;4102230 said:
    How is Five Fingered Death Punch not metal?
    I believe the song in question is "Hard to See", which is much closer to Hard Rock than Metal IMO. Overall, yes, FFDP would be Metal, and their other song is labeled as such; this song is the exception. Also, "Bodies" is pretty clearly Nu-Metal, and it seems a little much to criticize it for being labeled as such when Metal is right there in the genre name.

Anyway, yes, I'd agree that 50+ metal songs is pushing it, and it certainly isn't a fair representation of the full RBN selection. Having preferential treatment for Coulton is also a little odd. However, you have to believe Harmonix is by and large choosing songs that sell, and these are the songs that sell. The majority may not line up with your personal tastes, but there's not much to do about it except post your own specific requests and hope Harmonix is listening.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Bobman32x;4101902 said:
    Amberdien Down
    FYI, it's Amberian Dawn, and you misspelled it twice in your post.
  • Bobman32xBobman32x Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    All Im really asking is have a bit variety. And Im not saying I hate metal. I love Metal, but im just not to fond of unknown screamo/death metal bands. I bought Henchman Ride, and cant wait for more testament to make it over. And Im hoping the Anthrax to RBN is true also, cause id love for those songs to eventually make their way to the PS3. But so many songs of the same genre, that honestly sound very similar, with such bias or favoritism over other songs is just a bit annoying. While Im happy that the people who love JoCo have all of his freakin songs now, I wish they would do more than just request that and only care about JoCo to get some songs other people would also like over. They got their 7 songs. now before you put any more songs to satisfy them, put maybe 2 or 3 other songs others are requesting and THEN maybe a month or 2 later do more JoCo, maybe once a month or so
    edited October 2010
    PowerGamer990;4102587 said:
    FYI, it's Amberian Dawn, and you misspelled it twice in your post.

Im very surprised i misspelt the Dawn part. I knew that, but couldnt spell amberian correctly for the life of me
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I've bought so much great stuff from so many genres (metal included). I'd be just as disappointed as you if I were a PS3 owner. Unfortunately, the metal and novelty just seems to be what sells the best on 360.

I absolutely fell in love with "Hand Me Down" by Visqueen which just came out a few days ago. I will crap my pants if that ever makes it to PS3. A lot of the unknown, obscure stuff just doesn't seem to have much of a chance. :(
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Bobman32x;4102601 said:
    Im very surprised i misspelt the Dawn part. I knew that, but couldnt spell amberian correctly for the life of me
    No worries, I'm still not sure how to correctly pronounce "Amberian" (is it "Am-bear-ian"? "Am-beer-ian"?). But as for the topic of this thread, I understand where you're coming from, and I'm a 360 user. There are times when I get annoyed by all the thrash/death/metalcore bands being released on the network. Metal is the second largest genre on the 360 RBN (behind the all-encompassing Rock), but sometimes it does seem disproportionate.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I don't hate metal either. I just dislike bands who feel that screaming is a good substitute for singing.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited October 2010
    Metal is fun to play.
    I'm not complaining, but I see your where you're coming from.
  • SirDavidTLynchSirDavidTLynch Headliner
    edited October 2010
    Common sense dictates that tracks that make the most money and satisfy the most fans are the ones that make it over, but they're not the only ones.
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I'd like, at some point, to get more songs by Harmonix bands ported over to PS3.

We only have 1 of something like 15 tracks by The Main Drag. We have just about everything available by JoCo and Amberian Dawn (Sadly, I've lost interest in Amberian Dawn after buying 3 tracks - I personally find it too repetitive). Tijuana Sweetheart, and several others. The only HMX band that's been represented well on PS3 is Bang Camaro. Though not a Harmonix band I would think that maybe we could get one of the Damone songs? Please?
    edited October 2010
    The song I want most is quite obvious (look at my sig) however, yea, theres just so much more music that we need. The Get Up Kids, the Main Drag, Valiant Thorr, Graveyard BBQ (This is Rock-a-billy with Metal tendencies, but ok, another metal band i do want), More thins, Tijuana Sweetheart, The Riptides (seriously needs more punk on the rbn), Apples in Stereo, Of Montreal...

Oh and The Fauxharmonic Orchestra. REALLLLY need those here.
    And again.... ****ING CHILDREN OF DECEMBER

There are plenty of Great Rock Bands HMX. Port some over. Give the Deathcore a break
  • distantmantradistantmantra Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    DragoonXD;4102612 said:
    I absolutely fell in love with "Hand Me Down" by Visqueen which just came out a few days ago. I will crap my pants if that ever makes it to PS3. A lot of the unknown, obscure stuff just doesn't seem to have much of a chance. :(
    I'm from Seattle, home of Visqueen. It's great that they made it into the game, and my wife would love to sing it, but we'll probably never get that on the PS3...
  • Uncharted84Uncharted84 Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    It's really sad but it's what people want and buy. I still can't understand how songs like nom nom nom, last train to awesometown or date my avatar can sell so much better than songs from Free Spirit, Gov't Mule, the Gracious Few, Widespread Panic, Connor Christian and many other good artists with ridiculous sales. Or even better than some official DLC like T. Rex. At least, I hope we will get soon Midnight Riders and Graveyard BBQ.
  • ADBjesterADBjester Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Bobman32x;4101902 said:
    So Today I went to the PS3 RBN Song, and what I found there is truley Dissapointing.

Please Harmonix, now, and in the future, while this limit of only 5 songs a week is still in place on the Playstation 3, and from what I can tell will be in effect of only 10 songs on the wii, please do what you can to limit the amount of Metal and Novelty songs, and let some other genres please get a chance to make their way over. Those of us who have no interest in Jonathan Coulton, Amberdien Dawn, and Comedy songs are consistently, week by week, getting nothing or at best, very little to choose from. There are plenty of bands with only 1 song available on the PS3 but have 3 or 4 available on the 360. Give some of these bands a chance. and even more so, there are dozens and dozens of bands who have yet to be featured in the PS3's RBN store.
    +1
  • ADBjesterADBjester Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Quazifuji;4102324 said:
    The 360 store's actually only about 20% metal (Rock outnumbers it by quite a bit), it's just that the metal tends to get the most hype and sell the best, which is why it's the most common genre on the PS3. It would probably be nice if they put a bit more effort into getting more band and genre diversity to the PS3, though.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I wish they'd take into account the demographics of the console as well. Core and Death Metal sell on the XBox because the demographic is 20-somethings. The PS3 demographic is older, and just because something sells on the Xbox doesn't mean it will sell on the PS3.

I'd love it if they'd take that into account, and move a bit less of the metal over.

Jester
  • XygnusXygnus Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Isn't Nu-Metal considered a subgenre of Rock, despite having Metal on its name?
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Aren't the JoCo songs all genuinely rock (or in the case of Betty and Me, country), even if you choose to categorize them as 'novelty' by virtue of their tongue-in-cheek lyrical content?

Or is something only meeting your qualification of 'rock' if its lyrics are sewious?
  • Flan26Flan26 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Bobman32x;4101902 said:
    So Today I went to the PS3 RBN Song, and what I found there is truley Dissapointing.
    Thanks for running those numbers. Seems like you did a lot of work for that. It's definitely appreciated.

It was fairly obvious that we were getting mostly metal and novelty, but now there's hard proof.

Depressing proof, but proof nonetheless.
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    I couldn't agree more Bobman. Couldn't agree more!

As the old saying goes "variety is the spice of life."
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    WELP.

The younger Xbox crowd does love their meedlymeedlymeedly ragerage meedly hurrhurrhurrs; no getting around that. As far as the rest goes, People generally don't buy music until after they know they like it; that goes double for Rock Band, because of the "set" of music that each buyer likes, the "subset" of the music they want to holler along to is even smaller. So when HMX gets requests for songs from the PS3 users, it's virtually always for content that's already popular. (duh.) So there's a lot of music - really good stuff, too - that I don't imagine will ever make the jump to PS3. LeSigh.

(Don't get me wrong - I'm glad of the few hundred Xboxers who dropped the buck for Paperbag Ballantine's, er, Paper Valentines and Shiny Dark Bar; they're all people who wouldn't have heard any of my music any other way, and that's very cool. Would have been nice to make more of a splash, but that's rock n' roll, baby. Don't mind me, I'm not bitter about this. I'm just bitter.)
  • RealMessiahRealMessiah Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Isn't HMX using success in sales to decide what to send to PS3? What other criteria would they use? Random?

The problem is with the song limit means that they are going to send the big hitters as their goal...to make money...is more reachable that way.

RBN is a much higher pct of metal as DLC and/or disc songs even on 360 where we have all the songs. They must sell pretty well on 360 so they get sent to PS3 too.

Anyway, if anyone knows that sales figures have nothing to do with how they choose what to send to PS3, feel free to correct me. I am just making an assumption.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2010
    ADBjester;4103506 said:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- I wish they'd take into account the demographics of the console as well. Core and Death Metal sell on the XBox because the demographic is 20-somethings. The PS3 demographic is older, and just because something sells on the Xbox doesn't mean it will sell on the PS3.

I'd love it if they'd take that into account, and move a bit less of the metal over.

Jester
    The metal/nu-metal sells just as well on PS3 though. "Bodies" is #1 on PS3 and has over double the numbers of the #2 song ("Remedy"). All of the ATR songs are in the top 20 along with The Devil Wears Prada, Unearth, Attack Attack!, Five Finger Death Punch, etc. 12 of the top 20 are some form of metal or nu-metal.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    RealMessiah;4103721 said:
    Isn't HMX using success in sales to decide what to send to PS3?
    Clearly they do. The OP's hypothesis is that this isn't accurately representing the best selections for the PS3 market because PS3 owners are less prone to be young angsty teenagers who only want metal, so HMX should under-consider metal sales in considering what to bring over to PS3 and assume that market would be better served by variety than by saturation of the genre that is known to be most popular on the Xbox 360.

And the OP hates comedy rock, so he rolled a JoCo rant into his post as well, even though it doesn't support his main point whatsoever.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited October 2010
    thatmarkguy;4103752 said:
    Clearly they do. The OP's hypothesis is that this isn't accurately representing the best selections for the PS3 market because PS3 owners are less prone to be young angsty teenagers who only want metal, so HMX should under-consider metal sales in considering what to bring over to PS3 and assume that market would be better served by variety than by saturation of the genre that is known to be most popular on the Xbox 360.

And the OP hates comedy rock, so he rolled a JoCo rant into his post as well, even though it doesn't support his main point whatsoever.
    I'm a 360 player but... from what I've seen, I tend to agree with OP. 360 players tend to be younger and curve more toward a like for metal (of all the various incarnations). PS3 players tend to average at a bit older of an age and curve more toward a like for classic rock.

I have no idea what real sales numbers are. But this is just what I have noticed. I'm sure metal still sells decent on the PS3 because it is some of the harder songs in Rock Band and some people want the challenge or bragging rights. To some people, saying they beat x hard song is important. But I don't think that's the genre the majority of PS3 players care about as much.
  • edited October 2010
    Metal and novelty make up a huge percentage of the library on the Xbox as well.

Just going by the genre labels "Metal" and "Nu Metal" and "Novelty" and not even counting the misclassified ones, there are pretty near 165 songs in those catagories on the Xbox side of things.

And I can't blame them for porting some of them right away, because acts like Coulton, Drowning Pool, and All That Remains have brand recognition. And Amberian Dawn has become sort of rising star in the RBN community.

I'm sure it's frustrating and I wouldn't make light of that, I am just pointing out that those genres are heavy all over, not just specific to your console.
    edited October 2010
    Im not doubting the sales of the songs, and im not doubting the percentage of the genre distribution on the 360, but for things on the 360, its entirely user generated. Harmonix has no part in it. If Authors want to make metal songs, and then the peer reviewers want to push them through, then thats their option to do so. And then everyday new songs are released. Sometimes up to 20 to 30 a week, while the PS3 gets 5 songs a week that we have no idea what they are.

Also I dont "Hate" comedy rock. I bought You All Everybody, I really want the Fauxharmonic Orchestra songs and those are boarderline Novelty songs. And Id Love to get Dethklok which is both Deathmetal AND Novelty in the same. I just think that at some point a niche genre of "music" should be put on hold until some other bands get their fill.
  • blzbub74blzbub74 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    RealMessiah;4103721 said:
    Isn't HMX using success in sales to decide what to send to PS3? What other criteria would they use? Random?

The problem is with the song limit means that they are going to send the big hitters as their goal...to make money...is more reachable that way.

RBN is a much higher pct of metal as DLC and/or disc songs even on 360 where we have all the songs. They must sell pretty well on 360 so they get sent to PS3 too.

Anyway, if anyone knows that sales figures have nothing to do with how they choose what to send to PS3, feel free to correct me. I am just making an assumption.
    How about they actually pay attention to what's being asked for in the ps3/wii request thread. You're acting like the only information they have is the 360 sales charts.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Well, now you have another All That Remains song to look forward to in a month. :)
  • MattyTMattyT Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    DragoonXD;4104927 said:
    Well, now you have another All That Remains song to look forward to in a month. :)
    Thankfully, I love All That Remains. Honestly, more 360 players need to buy songs by The Main Drag. 1 of 15 or so tracks has made it over, while JoCo has had just about all available tracks ported over.
  • lvmathemagicianlvmathemagician Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    rocker820;4102385 said:
    well then tell XBox 360 users to change their RBN tastes because Harmonix just picks the most popular selections based on XBox 360 sales.

Likewise, I would bet most RBN users are the hardcore fans into the really challenging metal type stuff.
    In otherwords the PS3 RBN store is nothing more than the pop wasteland of RBN. Amberian Dawn and JoCo are our versions of Miley Cyrus and Lady Gaga.