Too. Much. Tapping.

kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
edited October 2010 in The Rock Band Network
I'm talking about the cowbell, tambouring, clapping, etc.

This is the worst thing about Rock Band and yet it continues here in the RBN. Why? I think all of the All That Remains songs have cowbell parts but yet I've never seen Phillip LaBonte pull out a cowbell in my life. Reason being: IT DOESN'T FIT WITH THE MUSIC.

I could see a clapping section during a pop song or maybe a cowbell in a classic rock song, but I've only see these tapping sections used in the right way maybe 10 times out of hundreds of songs that have them.

The parts are tedious, hinder voxtaring, unrealistic, etc... so why do they continue to show up? Stop the madness.

Comments

• Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    They're totally optional so quit complaining and just ignore them
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4110240 said:
    hinder voxtaring
    What? No they don't. Just ignore them or go "BOO!" into the mic to trigger them.
  • HauntingYourKidsHauntingYourKids Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4110240 said:
    I think all of the All That Remains songs have cowbell parts but yet I've never seen Phillip LaBonte pull out a cowbell in my life. Reason being: IT DOESN'T FIT WITH THE MUSIC.
    Don't worry, Tony. The upcoming For We Are Many songs have no percussion sections whatsoever.
    P.S. "The Waiting One" is now available.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited October 2010
    I don't mind them when songs don't abuse them. The ones that abuse them are annoying.

Some songs I wish there were taps at times, just for something to do so you don't fall asleep or want to run away and do crazy things like Billtvshow. See Let There Be Rock (Live). See Jailbreak (Live).
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2010
    Catch-22;4110250 said:
    They're totally optional so quit complaining and just ignore them
    Wrong, they're scored and factor into gold stars. So they're not optional.
    davidshek;4110268 said:
    What? No they don't. Just ignore them or go "BOO!" into the mic to trigger them.
    ignoring them hinders your score, saying "boo" into the mic is unrealistic and more tedious than having to hit the mic or press the A button
    HauntingYourKids;4110618 said:
    Don't worry, Tony. The upcoming For We Are Many songs have no percussion sections whatsoever.
    P.S. "The Waiting One" is now available.
    Nice :D I just downloaded the trial for it, when I get some points I'll be sure to pick up the new ATR songs
    jeccaneko;4110723 said:
    I don't mind them when songs don't abuse them. The ones that abuse them are annoying.

Some songs I wish there were taps at times, just for something to do so you don't fall asleep or want to run away and do crazy things like Billtvshow. See Let There Be Rock (Live). See Jailbreak (Live).
    I understand that they're there to fill time or whatever, but I'd rather watch the other charts, the animations, or grab my drink during those parts
  • JoshVanHalen87JoshVanHalen87 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    it IS annoying, i mean it metal for god sake, there´s no tambourine nor cowbell in it, and im not being sarcastic, i mean it, cmon guys!!
  • Catch-22Catch-22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4111152 said:
    Wrong, they're scored and factor into gold stars. So they're not optional.
    You can't fail the song thus it is optional and you can always audibly play it. It subtracts nothing from your experience and adds to the experience of others. Would you say a band shouldn't be released as DLC? No because you can always not buy, here you can always not play it.
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4111152 said:
    ignoring them hinders your score, saying "boo" into the mic is unrealistic and more tedious than having to hit the mic or press the A button
    So don't say "BOO!". Puff air into the mic, that works too. Did you actually just say that doing them audibly is more unrealistic for triggering a cowbell or tambourine sound than pressing a button on a game controller??
  • RBB3ASTRBB3AST Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I see the tapping parts as something to do while the there is nothing to sing, I mean of course I don't find them very fun most of the time but at times I would rather be tapping then sitting doing nothing.
  • jarodtoiletboyjarodtoiletboy Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    I just tap my leg with the mic, and drink and/or smoke with the other hand.
    I multitask. :)
  • TinykokoTinykoko Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    for voxtar-ing, we have a mic stand and figured out that you can tap the base of the stand with your foot and it works just as fine.

but it doesnt count towards your percentage anyway.. unless you really care about that extra few points :p
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Charts should be written for the sake of balancing realism in the song with fun to play and they should also be written with single players in mind, just like RB itself operates under the default assumption that there will be one player per instrument. That vocal percussion might interfere with vox-ing can't be a consideration during charting. With all that in mind, I think the percussion bits are fine as long as they're feasible to hit on the mic and they don't seem purposely irritating (I think if I recall correctly that the recent release of Jeepster would qualify there.)

To kingtonyx in particular I would have to say that if gold star impact is the concern, it surprises me that you would be voxtaring when you're more likely to hit notes correctly and achieve the maximum possible score if you focus on one instrument instead of both.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited October 2010
    Personally I am fine with the tap section if they sound right with the song, or are actually in the song. As a matter of fact "Stereo Stereo" will have a short clapping section in the song, because there's one in the actual song :)
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    You can pretend you're using audio-triggered midi to control a sampler, especially if you have one of these to ride around in during tap sections.
  • NSIYusukeNSIYusuke Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    I pride myself in my clapping section for the song "Ramp Truck"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOiMYi6ZlM#t=2m45s

xP Because the singer is totally hyping up the crowd during that guitar solo. During the live performance, I'd be the one clapping during the bass solo, since our ex-singer lived in a different country than us, haha.
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    Ultrace;4112784 said:
    To kingtonyx in particular I would have to say that if gold star impact is the concern, it surprises me that you would be voxtaring when you're more likely to hit notes correctly and achieve the maximum possible score if you focus on one instrument instead of both.
    Not to mention, gold stars are even easier to get if you're doing multiple instruments and ignoring hit sections, as opposed to solo vox.
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4111152 said:
    grab my drink during those parts
    I read that wrong the first time. Was a little too much information. :o
  • RazorsEdgeRazorsEdge Unsigned
    edited October 2010
    One of the few songs that the cowbell part fits perfectly is, of course, (Don't Fear) The Reaper. Other than that, when the parts are charted on completely random songs, it does annoy me.
  • macamaticmacamatic Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    RazorsEdge;4114234 said:
    One of the few songs that the cowbell part fits perfectly is, of course, (Don't Fear) The Reaper. Other than that, when the parts are charted on completely random songs, it does annoy me.
    coughdownwiththesicknesscough
  • GNFfhqwhgadsGNFfhqwhgads 99% Washed Up
    edited October 2010
    RazorsEdge;4114234 said:
    One of the few songs that the cowbell part fits perfectly is, of course, (Don't Fear) The Reaper.
    It fits perfectly because it's IN THE SONG ALREADY. It's not added.
  • StreamOfNathStreamOfNath Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    I thought this thread was going to be about too many sections on Guitar RBN songs that require two-hand tapping.

Which I don't necessarily disagree with, either...
  • Baanu_RassBaanu_Rass Headliner
    edited October 2010
    GNFfhqwhgads;4115290 said:
    It fits perfectly because it's IN THE SONG ALREADY. It's not added.
    Maybe they did. Never enuff cowbell.
    macamatic;4114426 said:
    coughdownwiththesicknesscough
    That one is hilarious. You hit the mic while the game asks you stop hitting it while the rest of the band plays on awkwardly.

But honestly, if this game is about the music as I hear so often, why add things that the original artist didn't include? Why not just sit back and listen to the song? If this was how GH did things then you'd all bash them for it.
  • sonicnerd23sonicnerd23 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    kingtonyx;4110240 said:
    I think all of the All That Remains songs have cowbell parts but yet I've never seen Phillip LaBonte pull out a cowbell in my life..
    You've gotta admit, though, that would be pretty badass.