Top 20 Phish Songs for Rock Band DLC (extremely long)

jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
edited March 2012 in Your Ultimate Setlist

WE DID IT!

WILSON CAME OUT AS DLC ON 6/2/09!

UPDATED: 11/4/08 - Added Top 5 Live Phish Songs - http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1528941#post1528941

Harmonies, Keys and Live songs have all joined Rock Band since I originally wrote this post. All three are phenomenal reasons to add more Phish to the game!!!

Original Post: 1/03/08

I am obsessed with Rock Band.

Every song I hear I imagine how it would play in Rock Band; I stay up all night on Monday waiting for DLC announcements; every conversation with a stranger quickly turns into “have you played Rock Band yet?”

As a casual Guitar Hero player who was planning to finally buy my own guitar with GHIII, I was absolutely blown-away when I heard the announcement for Rock Band. You mean I can also play drums and sing? You mean I can pretend to be Jonny Greenwood, Keith Moon or Ozzy Osbourne in the same game? This game was made for me and I couldn’t wait. I bought a 360 so I’d be ready for release.

Then it came: HMX struck a deal with The Grateful Dead for 18 songs. Now let me be clear that I would’ve bought the game anyway and enjoy a diverse array of music (just last night I was shocked by how much fun Move Along was to play) but when your bread and butter whose been largely ignored by other rhythm games announces they’re on the Rock Band bandwagon you get excited. The Dead was coming to Rock Band and my friends and I were stoked.

This isn’t a post about “where are the Dead songs?” however, but about the logical question that follows from any late-20’s fan of jam music: “where are the Phish songs?”

Phish would be unequivocally great for the game Rock Band. They’re musicianship is first rate, Trey plays a killer guitar solo on virtually every song and unlike many other jam bands, they took studio recording quite seriously and have recorded some phenomenal studio tracks that would translate perfectly to the game.

For awhile I accepted that Phish probably wouldn’t be in the game but then I came to my senses. They have to be in the game. They’re one of the most successful touring bands of all-time, they write amazing songs and most importantly, they are one of the only bands that could literally sell consoles with their inclusion. Outside of Led Zeppelin and The Beatles, how many bands could truly claim that sort of fan obsession? For evidence see this post!

Adding to that, that the game already has a built-in reference to Phish under the clothing feature, where it says “you can feel good about this hoodie” a blatant reference to my favorite song of all-time, Harry Hood, it is officially time for Phish to join the band roster of Rock Band.

Since I’ve seen a few casual requests for Phish before, but nothing huge, I have decided to truly breakdown their music and detail one fan’s opinion of which songs would best fit the game.

I have spent countless hours listening to their albums and discussing with friends what songs should be included and I feel confident in my choices. I plan to send these to HMX as well, but figured I should also post them on the boards for discussion.

I say that because I would love for this thread to become grounds for other Phish fans to voice their love of the band and their hopes of getting to play Phish live at ESG just once.

So without any further adieu, I’m going to strap on the old developer’s hat and truly breakdown Phish’s studio recording and decide which make the most sense for the game.

Obviously, with a band as musically unique as Phish, I needed to set some ground rules and here they are:

(i) The song has to be a studio recording to be considered. In order to have original mastered versions, which we all prefer, this simply has to be a rule with no questions asked. Along those lines, I’ve also outlawed non-official studio recordings, such as the Bearsville Session, the Wendell Studio sessions and Trey’s Senior Thesis, just because I have no idea the state of those master recordings.

This disqualifies many would-be great songs including: NICU, Runaway Jim, Mike’s>Hydrogen>Weekapaug, Halley’s Comet, Suzie Greenberg, All of Gamehendge, etc.

(ii) As painful as it is to say, instrumentals or near-instrumentals are highly penalized. As much as I’d like to say that David Bowie, Divided Sky, Run Like An Antelope, YEM, Harry Hood, Slave to the Traffic Light, First Tube, Piper and Guyute are all in the top-10 (wow, this list is more daunting than I expected), they simply wouldn’t work for Rock Band. They would be great for Guitar Hero, but not Rock Band. What is the vocalist supposed to do during these songs? Unless you’re playing/singing, these would be painfully boring, and a huge disappointment for non-phans.

Yes, you could say that non-phans shouldn’t download them, but that just doesn’t work in a commercial market. Many people buy all the DLC and after two plays, would be extremely disappointed every time Divided Sky or Slave came up in BWT.

Even songs like Reba that have enough phrases to make a vocal track, have huge sections with no lyrics that would bore everyone who hasn’t shared a tent with you at Deer Creek. If you don’t agree with me, throw in Lawn Boy, and honestly listen to Reba with a discerning ear for Rock Band. It just isn’t ideal for the game.

I’m sorry fellow fans, but these songs are either outlawed or penalized harshly (some of them, still might make the top 20, just not top 5) simply because I would expect HMX to do the exact same thing when selecting songs.

(iii) Page McConnell is my favorite member of Phish. Always has been and always will be. He has the best voice, is a phenomenal pianist and nothing hits me emotionally harder at a show than the end of Coil, Strange Design or the tearjerker that was Coventry’s Velvet Sea.

That said, songs where you feel like you’re truly missing his keys get docked. Obviously, he’s on every track and I actually like when he has isolated sections to relax to but sometimes it will just be too frustrating that you can’t play as him. The game is supposed to make you feel like you’re playing the song, not make you long for Rock Band 2 when you can play the piano sections. Listen to Bathtub Gin for the best example of what I refer to throughout this post as the “Page Penalty”.

(iv) Vocal harmonies also caused penalties of varying degrees for certain song, as I didn’t feel they’d translate well to the game. Songs like Rift and Limb by Limb were hurt badly by their responsive Trey/Page verses that I felt would hinder gameplay.

(v) The following rule was the most difficult for me but something I had to follow while making the list: throw out all baggage and misconceptions about the songs and just listen to them for Rock Band.

I spent twenty minutes the other night trying to convince my buddy Piper was in the top-5 songs for Rock Band. I mean, it has great drums, enough lyrics, and is one of my favorite songs, right? People will love it. Not so fast.

The next day I listened to it again and realized he was right. It takes forever to build, is partly mixed from a live version and even if I want to sing it most people won’t. No matter how much I prefer one song against another under different circumstances, this list is simply regarding the game and what would fit best. Nothing else applies.

So on that note, let’s start this bad boy off.

Comments

• MultiBeastMultiBeast Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    great discussion! I really believe non-phans would eat up Phish DLC. A lot of people complain about repetitive guitar parts and chords on the songs that are out there. As soon as these people see the youtube videos of the rock band charts for songs like "stash" or "you enjoy myself" (if these songs were ever released), they would go nuts and snatch 'em up in an instant. Not only do these songs provide challenges for people who like riffs and soloing (on any instrument), but they are also fun.
  • cdoe001cdoe001 Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    PHAN OR NOT... LISTEN AND IT'S GREAT.... Farmhouse is a song about a note left in a cabin from a maid.... I had to read that in the book of Phish cause you would never guess that song was writen about some thing so simple... FARMHOUSE Should come out before any of the dead other then uncle johns band.... (My favorite Jam Band Song Ever.....)

How bout some TEA LEAF GREEN TOO....
    edited January 2008
    Bring on "farmhouse"! bring on "stash"! bring on "bouncin"! I don't care. As long as its got the name phish attached to it, i'll be happy. :)
  • jr174200jr174200 Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    Multi, every single time I see a post from you I unconsciously start singing "Tela". Thought you'd get a kick out of that.
    edited January 2008
  • dmaximusdmaximus Unsigned
    edited January 2008
    This is the greatest thread possible in a rock band forum. Thanks to jr174200 for the excellent, in depth opening post. I tend to agree with much of what bisq said in his post. I think you may have put too much of a penalty on long instrumental sections and maybe too much emphasis on the quality of vocals. (Is it really a detrement to Character Zero that it contains the Mulkaey line?) Also you might put a lilttle too much emphasis on the popularity of the songs and its signifigance. It's a valid point that for most other bands you'd want the most popular songs because the most number of people will know those songs and then want to download them. I'm not sure that holds true for a band like phish, where their most popular song ever barely cracked the top 20 on the rock chart... in the case of phish I don't see the names (or name-recgonition) of the songs being the biggest draw. The quality of the songs and the quality of the note chart is going to be the biggest draw.

I don't have enough time to break down your list of 20, hopefully I will find some time to sit down and make something similar to what you did. Let's just say I don't know how you could not include a single track from Rift (The Wedge, Mound, It's Ice, My Friend My Friend)

But let's focus on the impossible task of making a Phish 3 Pack. First we need to decide what the best mix of songs would be that gives people the best overall representation of phish. I think there should be one song from the following three categories:
    1)Popular - Obviously this would be the popular songs that non fans maybe recgonize by name or it least by hearing a short clip of the song. Included in here would be:
    Fee
    Bouncin
    Sparkle
    Down w/ Disease
    Free
    Birds of a Feather
    Heavy Things
    Scents and Subtle Sounds (maybe, I mean they did play it on Letterman... ultimately it's a moot point anyway, because it's not making the cut to the 3 pack)

2) Rockers - the name of the category is self explanatory. The songs we all know where they just rock. Bonus points for memorable Trey solos (i.e. the beginning to the DwD solo or the beginning to the Character Zero solo). Songs include:
    David Bowie
    Antelope
    Cavern
    Chalkdust
    Maze
    Julius
    Down w/ Disease (songs can be both rocking and popular)
    Sample in a Jar
    Axilla (although it would just not be the same with Part 2's lyrics...)
    Character Zero
    Prince Caspian
    Piper
    First Tube
    Mexican Cousin
    46 Days

3) Impressive - the songs that showcase Phish technical mastery.
    You Enjoy Myself
    Divided Sky
    Foam
    David Bowie
    Fluffhead + Travels
    Reba
    Stash
    It's Ice
    Guyute

I probably could have added a couple more in here, songs that don't have as much drawn out instrumental sequences and that aren't straight rockers, but are impressive to listen to like Golgi, Glide, Taste, Theme From the Bottom, Limb by Limb... etc... (actually pretty much every song that doesn't fall into one of the two categories above)

So ok, let's take one from each category and make a 3 pack. I think you have to take Down with Disease from the first group, it has the most memorable Trey solo, plus the bass and the funness of the singing all the falsetto "Stop Stop Stop". The 2nd group is the toughest selection out of them all. I think I have to go with Character Zero, just edging out over Chalkdust. I could really go either way with this one but to me it just seems like Character Zero is a more accessible song to play (easier lyrics that you sing instead of speak, fun group build up in the beginning, great solo). And then to me there's really no debate in the third group. If you're going to have a group of Phish songs that you want to showcase their talent with, you have to include You Enjoy Myself, there's just no way around it, sure the singer might get bored... but they'll be able to sit back and just enjoy the music.

So my three pack is Down with Disease, Character Zero, and You Enjoy Myself
    edited January 2008
    Dmaximus,

Ha, I have no idea how I skipped all of Rift since it's my favorite album but alas that happened. At one point I had My Friend, My Friend very high, but it just kept falling on the list as I went along. Obviously Mound, Wedge, Maze and Sparkle could work as well, but alas they just didn't make the cut which was far more restrictive than I anticipated.

In terms of this concept of my list overrating vocals, there probably is something to that. While I'm not that great at them, I usually have to sing vocals in our band and probably do possess some bias. However, I didn't outlaw songs simply because of the vocals (see Zero and Chalkdust, which are both still highly ranked) I just needed to articulate my concerns about certain songs while trying to figure out which ones were "best". And in the end, Free and DwD had by far the least concerns.

I only outlawed songs when I truly didn't think the songs would work for Rock Band. If you take songs like Won't Get Fooled Again, Green Grass and High Tides or my personal favorite Foreplay/Long Time, while they have large instrumental sections they still have a lot of sensible singable phrases. Obviously the epic Phish songs wouldn't have that many phrases or make nearly as much sense, but you literally can't play songs like Slave or Divided Sky, and songs like Guyute or YEM, while musically amazing, are simply terrible for the vocalists. No matter how hard you try to avoid it, YEM was number three on my list at first, they are.

That said, would I be happier with YEM as DLC than Farmhouse? HELL YES! There is no studio track, I'd rather play in Rock Band that Phish's most played live song. I was just trying to honestly rank the songs using criteria I would expect the developers at HMX to use.

My completely selfish top-5 would probably be Guyute, DwD, Antelope, YEM and Piper. Unfortunately, I know that would never ever happen, so I wanted to articulate why DwD or Free would be a much better fit than Bouncin' or Heavy Things.
    edited January 2008
    I know, you're right, you just can't have YEM in there. It doesn't make any sense from a Rock Band standpoint. And most of the songs like that have very little lyrical content so you do have to throw some of them out. But I think out of the complex-type song group, there's a couple that have enough lyrical content that they would work in rock band. (Because when you have a song like Green Grass, which consists of 1:30 opening instrumental -> 1 min of singing-> 2:30 instrumental -> 1 min of singing -> 4 minute instrumental, that's 8 minutes of playing and 2 minutes of singing... like And Justice for all which has 2:15 of instrumental -> 2:30 of singing -> 3 min instrumental -> 2 min of singing... 5:15 instrumental, 4:30 singing... it shows they're not afraid to put in long songs that have just some lyrical content)

So what I'm saying is I think there's a couple of epics that can get in, you have songs like:
    Reba (2:30 Singing -> 8:30 instrumental -> 1:30 singing)
    Maybe the instrumental in the middle is too much to get this one in, but I'm still voting for it, because it's pretty much my favorite phish song. Plus they actually jam this out in the studio, which doesn't happen on too many other tracks...
    Stash (1:45 instrumental -> :40 singing -> 1:45 instrumental -> 1:15 singing -> 1:30 instrumental -> :30 singing)
    This might have the best chance out of all the songs to get in. It was listed on Rolling Stones 100 greatest guitar solos, so it has musical acclaim behind it.
    It's Ice ( :30 instrumental -> 2:15 singing -> 5 min instrumental -> :30 singing)
    A bit of an underdog in this category, but man this song is so insane on everyone's part, especially mike's bass. Plus with page singing, this could be one of the tougher singing songs in Phish's catalog. This would be a beast of a song just because there's no easy parts. I really, really like this song and it never gets enough respect. This would be the ultimate respect booster, let the whole world realize just how amazing phish was. I'm going with this song.

Guyute (1 min singing -> 6 min instrumental -> :45 singing -> :45 instrumental)
    Originally I thought this was a great candidate, but that is a pretty long middle section. But as you spoke about earlier, it would be so sweet if this was in... man I could imagine hitting the climax note, man that would be awesome...

But ok out of all these, Stash is the most balanced song, plus the great guitar work probably makes it the most likely epic candidate. However my vote goes with It's Ice.

Here's a couple more three packs:
    My Dream 3 Pack: YEM, Divided Sky, Reba
    My Ideal 3 Pack (from songs that are likely Rock Band canidates): Down with Disease, Character Zero, It's Ice
    My "If I worked at Harmonix, this is what I would push for, because it is the most likely to be accepted" 3 Pack: Down with Disease, Character Zero, Stash

haha, I spent way to much time on this post... I can't believe I just brought out my studio Phish CD's and timed songs... only Phish could get me to do that, what a great band... which is precisely why they need to be in the game!
    edited January 2008
    Great breakdowns of the epic songs! I did similar work on the Phish tunes, but not on other Rock Band songs which is definitely helpful.

Clearly, you now see where I was coming from with some of my choices, as I also found Stash to be by far the most accessible of the complex-type songs.

In terms of It's Ice, I'll be honest when I say that I was initially threatened by it's length and never really gave it a fair shot. While I love the song, I just didn't think of it in the same breath as the heaviest of heavy-hitters and passed it off due to the lull from 5:22 to 6:22 (exactly one minute, that's weird).

That said, I re-listened and I was wrong. It should have been in the top 20. The "lull" would work like Won't Get Fooled Again, with a better lift-off, and it would allow the vocalist to do a mean percussive solo. The moments before the "lull" are just plain evil and Page is simply a stronger vocalist than Trey.
    dmaximus;274321 said:

haha, I spent way to much time on this post... I can't believe I just brought out my studio Phish CD's and timed songs... only Phish could get me to do that, what a great band... which is precisely why they need to be in the game!

Dude, imagine how long I took on the first post! My girlfriend was ready to kill me by the time I finally posted it.

My process was as follows:

- Listen to Phish studio albums on ipod shuffle for over a week while thinking about Rock Band
    - Go through the entire catalouge of studio songs and pick my favorites
    - Write individual paragraphs for the 30-35 best fits, while listening to the song on repeat
    - Actually ranking the songs by playing songs back to back to compare them
    - Sending it to friends for feedback
    - Posting it on the boards
    - Hit refresh on the thread every two mintues to see if anyone responded

Viva la Phish!
  • TheSpammerTheSpammer Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    "Ridiculously awesome... Guitar Hero exceeds my high expectations." (Rating: 4.5 out of 5)
    - Official PlayStation Magazine

"One of the greatest games ever made."
    - G4 TV

"Holy Crap! ... Without a doubt the most fun I have ever had playing any game." (Score: 10 out of 10)
    - Team Fremont

"Harmonix has unleashed a beast... It makes me want to jump up and down. I'm so psyched about it, I have to talk about it when I'm not playing."
    - Gaming Age

"The best rhythm game ever made."
    (Score: 10 out of 10)
    - 1up.com

"I am frankly astonished by how much playing this game feels like playing the guitar for real... Guitar Hero will knock you on your coal-mining ass."
    (Score: 90%)
    - EGM

"Guitar Hero leaves all other music/rhythm games in the dust."
    (Score: 4.5 out of 5)
    - Yahoo! Games

"Pure bliss... If you ever rock out this hard outside of Guitar Hero, your heart will explode. We're serious... Hell, the game is so damn fun you won't be able to put it down... Buy this. Now."
    (Score: 9.2 out of 10)
    - IGN.com

"If you don't have a big, stupid, sh*t-eating grin on your face when you do this, then we can't be friends anymore."
    - Stuff Magazine

"The latest rhythm action game from Harmonix kicks all kinds of ass."
    (Score: 9 out of 10)
    - GameSpot

"Guitar Hero is about rocking your f*ing face off... Harmonix knocked it out of the f*ing park."
    - Penny Arcade

"The most fun I've ever had with a music game."
    - Game Informer

"Let's be perfectly frank here; games this good come out very rarely, and when they do it feels like a gift"
    (Score: 9.7 out of 10)
    - Worth Playing

"Harmonix has crafted a game that is heads and shoulders above nearly anything that has come before."
    (Score: 96 out of 100)
    - eToyChest

"This is one of the few games I would unequivocally say is a must-own... Harmonix has taken an idea, refined it, churned it, ground it, and forged it into a force of pure rock that few men could stand against."
    - Netjack

"This game is just too damned amazing to pass up. Seriously, there's just no reason not to buy this game."
    - TotalPlayStation

"There is one game you need to buy this Christmas season. It's not the Xbox360, it's not Nintendo, it's not Sony's PSP. It's Guitar Hero... This is the greatest game ever... It triggers something completely innate and primal in me... Just run to the stores and buy this game!"
    - CBS Sacramento

"Guitar Hero is not only the best PlayStation 2 game of the year, but it is worth going to buy a PS2 console exclusively to play this title."
    - Bullz-Eye.com

"An epic rock masterpiece that may be the most purely fun game out there."
    - The Onion AV Club

"One of the most (if not absolutely the most) acclaimed game of the generation."
    - Next Generation
  • DethBoxxDethBoxx Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    I would like Maze and Stash and Llama. These three would be perfect for RB. Mound would be pretty awesome as well.
    edited January 2008
    In an ideal world, this is what would happen...

After the Grateful Dead pack sells through the roof (everyone posting in here better support it!), Harmonix green lights a Phish pack and they convince Phish to record some of their songs (at the Barn) and make them Rock Band-friendly. I'm talking about songs like "Punch You in the Eye", "Runaway Jim", "NICU"...stuff like that. Maybe even re-record a couple songs like "Chalkdust Torture" and "Bouncin'" so they better fit the mould. That's what needs to happen. Just imagine the possibilities...

I mean crazier things have happened...Activision got the Sex Pistols into the studio to re-record "Anarchy in the UK" for GHIII.
  • kanreikanrei Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    The big problem will be getting masters. Phish did not do track recording until Hoist so earlier songs (Picture, Junta, Rift, etc) will have to be covers. Phish covers will not cut it IMHO.
  • pmpboarderpmpboarder Road Warrior
    edited January 2008
    jr174200;274436 said:
    Dude, imagine how long I took on the first post! My girlfriend was ready to kill me by the time I finally posted it.

My process was as follows:

- Listen to Phish studio albums on ipod shuffle for over a week while thinking about Rock Band
    - Go through the entire catalouge of studio songs and pick my favorites
    - Write individual paragraphs for the 30-35 best fits, while listening to the song on repeat
    - Actually ranking the songs by playing songs back to back to compare them
    - Sending it to friends for feedback
    - Posting it on the boards
    - Hit refresh on the thread every two mintues to see if anyone responded

Viva la Phish!
    That's badass! I saw this thread back when you first posted it, and was tempted to reply, but I honestly am not that into Phish. I have a friend who really is, though. (Ha, much like your friend who likes CAKE.) Anyway, she's made some mixes with Phish songs, which I love, but I just haven't taken the time to get the rest of their catalogue in my hands and in my head. Admit it - it's a daunting amount of songs! But I'm gonna let your list guide me, because you, sir, know your Phish.

Anyway, my point is: I appreciate this post a lot more now, as I'm sorta-kinda working on one for CAKE. It is harder work than I though, but now that I see what your process was, I'm encouraged. So, thanks for such an excellent thread and all your hard work that went into it!

Seriously. If a post like this doesn't convince Harmonix to at least seriously consider Phish, then everyone on these forums is wasting their time, as this is the best "I Want, Here's Why" post of them all. :cool:
  • KillAutumnKillAutumn Opening Act
    edited January 2008
    I would definately dig some Phish. Especially with our number 1 being Free

So there ya go, add me onto the "I want Phish on Rock band" list
    edited January 2008
    kanrei;275917 said:
    The big problem will be getting masters. Phish did not do track recording until Hoist so earlier songs (Picture, Junta, Rift, etc) will have to be covers. Phish covers will not cut it IMHO.
    Eh? Source please, I seriously doubt this is true.
    edited January 2008
    DethBoxx;277189 said:
    Eh? Source please, I seriously doubt this is true.
    I am not going to source common knowledge. It is commonly known that Phish recorded their first few albums "jam style" where they were all in the same room at the same time. Hoist was the first album where they came in at different times to record their tracks. Look up the "Helping Phriendly Book" sometime and it will give you tons of Phish trivia.
  • bisqbisq Rising Star
    edited January 2008
    You know after thinking about it some more, I might actually choose free over down with disease IF we are solely talking about studio versions. I kind of forgot how lame the DWD studio version is. I mean I really liked it when I first heard it but now I'm like 'dude where's the solo?'. Its like they tried too hard to make it short and radio friendly. Free's studio version does have a nice little solo in it though so perhaps you were onto something. I still like DWD, but I think stash might be a better choice despite its length.

And I also keep thinking about guyute and how it wouldn't really be a bad choice. It's kind of a weird song but it would instantly become one of the ultimate challenge songs for guitar players (and it seems many of them want more challenging songs). Plus its not TOO long and has a decent vocal melody. Plus we need to get them to implement the whistling :D
    edited January 2008
    I'm not so sure that's "common knowledge"... I'm not going to claim to know how they recorded any of their studio albums or exactly what harmonix needs in terms of masters to make songs. But what I thought was they needed was at least 4 tracks (one for each of the instruments) and that 4 track recording was the norm since the 70's. (Again, I don't really know this, I'm just guessing... but heck Poor Heart was written by Gordo back in college because someone stole his 4-track recorder...) So even if they were in the same room when they recorded, I'm not sure that makes the masters unusable. And even if that is the case that we can only use Hoist and after songs... well I'm ok with that too

So a new "Hoist and after only" 3-Pack:
    Down with Disease (but honestly I'm liking this as a selection less and less... the album version is just so blah)
    Character Zero
    Free (big shout out to jr174200 on this one... you're right man this is a fantastic rock band song)

and maybe a "I'm sick of the album version of DwD, so a post Hoist pack without DwD" 3 Pack:
    Free
    Character Zero
    46 Days (man this last one is really tough... I really wanted to put Limb by Limb in there, it's such a complex, compact song... I mean so what if they trade off the vocals, I sing both parts when I listen to the song... also Julius could be here, but there might be a little too much background stuff going on with that song... and Sample could probably be here as well)
    You know what 46 Days and Character Zero are very similar song types... and we don't need the same types of songs in a three pack because Phish is way more diverse than that... So I'm putting Limb by Limb in as the third song, and that's final there
    edited January 2008
    The main reason it is "common knowledge" is that the members of the group often speak of Hoist as a turning point in the band's evolution. It was the first album that they did not record together at the same time. Fishman spoke often of how weird it was to lay down drum tracks without the others around. Trey would do his late at night.

Speaking of Phish, did anyone else hear Trey was in jail last week for two nights?

POst Hoist 3 pack for me:

Limb By Limb (great call on that often forgotten by me song)
    Julius
    Character Zero
    edited January 2008
    I'm glad to hear people went and listened to the tracks, 'cause there was a reason I chose "Free" over "Down With Disease". As a standalone studio track, it's simply better for Rock Band.

I would also absolutely love to play Guyute and within this new 'post-Hoist" rule, it is the only real epic option. Guitar players would LOVE it and it's by far my favorite Phish tune to air-drum. If I had my say I'd pick two of the higher numbered commercial tracks and then give us phans Guyute as a present.

Just yesterday I was watching the unaired version that was recorded for Sessions at W. 54th. Check it out below, it's amazing.

In terms of 46 Days, I know I swore I wouldn't be bias, but that It version wouldn't end! Seriously that jam just bothered the hell out of me and represented the worst of the end for me, along with any time Trey went to the auxillary keys during a long Sand. I always strived to not be a musical snob about it, but when you have over 500 tapes and know their capabilities, you can't help but get frustrated occasionally when you know how truly great Phish can be and they're just sorta going through the motions.

Of course those moments both pale in depressive reminising to the Halley's Jam on 9/18/00, when Trey just left the stage in the middle of the show while the rest of the band just looked at each other confused. That was a different type of frustration and that sucked.

Oh jeez, why am I remembering the worst times? Damn nostalgic tendencies.

Time to be positive.

11/9/96, my second show, they played Divided Sky, David Bowie, You Enjoy Myself and Harry Hood! That was amazing.

Moby Dick-Fest at Deer Creek 2000? That was amazing.

And the 40 shows I did get to see? The greatest times of my life.

MORE SHOWS! I WANT MORE SHOWS!!!
    edited January 2008
    kanrei;277437 said:
    I am not going to source common knowledge. It is commonly known that Phish recorded their first few albums "jam style" where they were all in the same room at the same time. Hoist was the first album where they came in at different times to record their tracks. Look up the "Helping Phriendly Book" sometime and it will give you tons of Phish trivia.
    Yeah I'm sure they did record that way but that has nothing to do with the state of the multitracks.
    edited January 2008
    DethBoxx;279593 said:
    Yeah I'm sure they did record that way but that has nothing to do with the state of the multitracks.
    Actually, yea it does. It means there are no clean tracks. Each track (Trey, Page, Mike, Fishman) will have bleed-over from the other instruments. "Jam style" recording usually (Not always, but most often) involves the room being miked as opposed to the instruments going directly into a master board. Rock Band would require clean master tracks so that the drums would only have the drums, the guitar track only have guitar, and so on.

If given the choice of Phish covers or no Phish, I choose no Phish. I would love moe on Rock Band, but think they recorded the same way.
    edited January 2008
    Like I said earlier...get them back in the studio and re-record some songs!!! That would fix all these problems everyone is talking about. They can add an extended solo to "down with disease". Put a better vocal track on "chalkdust". maybe record "lizards"...the sky's the limit!

come on, Harmonix. Make this happen!
  • openceopence Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    Top 20....Hey Jr. check these out. I know that it may be breakin a rule (no master) but there is always the soundboard. I think a track (or 100) from a live show would be great for any band IMO, it would really feel like you are playing a live show.

20. Cavern - great drum intro
    19. Dirt- short and sweet
    18. stash - OOH OOH OH OH OOH OOH OHOOOHOOOOOO
    17. Tube - Lyrics>JAM>Lyrics
    16. LLAMA - taboot taboot
    15. Mcgrupp - gamehenge gotta have at least 1
    14. Possum - great build up
    13. character zero - just plain energy
    12. gotta jiboo- gotta jiboo
    11. sanity- just wanna scream BOOOM POWW
    10. Free - havent heard the BB version lately but I know it has great lyrics
    9. Split open and melt - drums is as good as it gets
    8. Prince Caspian ------
    --- Deer creek 07-12-2000 versions maybe my favs of all time
    7. Birds of a feather-----
    6. Gumbo- great bass session at the end...i mean the whole time
    5. Bug - it doesnt matter
    4. 1st tube- I agree its for guitar hero,but guitar hero never comes out for any new DLC
    3. Carini - just my favorite song, i really dont know if it would work
    2. Moma Dance - good lyrics, awe inspiring guitar, funky drums, the most unreal bass youve ever heard.
    1. Theme from the bottom, because I just want to be Trey at 2/16/1997 at 3:43 in.

Thanks a lot for doing this. I love phish and I probably wouldnt be so into this thread if they were still around. I think rock band would be the perfect place to feel like Im actually there again. At Alpine valley blowin away by the DWD. Crank that volume and explode to the 5 low frets on my strat and just go to that other level. Thats what its all about.

REUNION 2009

• openceopence Opening Act
    edited February 2008
    kanrei;275917 said:
    I totally agree about the covers, but there is a great version of The divided sky on you tube. and I doubt this guy got the master. I think it just takes some good programming. Really I dont know how they do it. It doesnt have to be perfect though. I vote live shows from sound board recordings...Think of it never ending songs.......What they should do is come out with a rock band phish version where you can make your own setlist, and be able to segue from song to song like a real show.

forgive me for posting a guitar hero video on this website.

edited February 2008
    kanrei;279858 said:
    Actually, yea it does. It means there are no clean tracks. Each track (Trey, Page, Mike, Fishman) will have bleed-over from the other instruments. "Jam style" recording usually (Not always, but most often) involves the room being miked as opposed to the instruments going directly into a master board. Rock Band would require clean master tracks so that the drums would only have the drums, the guitar track only have guitar, and so on.

No it doesn't actually. A band can record live and still have sound isolation.
    Happens all the time. Live albums are recorded this way too you know.

Overdubbing and multitrack recording are not the same thing.
  • MonktaniusMonktanius Unsigned
    edited February 2008
    I would say that list contains 15 of the songs I'd like to hear least if they included Phish in Rock Band.:(
  • celtsfan75celtsfan75 Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    Great post. You obviously spent a good deal of effort and as a fellow phan I thank you. I would also like to add a few things.
    1) When listening with Rock Band in mind your list is a very good.
    2) Vocalists have to deal with Guyute's lack of lyrics, this song must be available.
    3) A couple of posts talked about the variety of problems with Phish master recordings. No matter what, do not use covers!
    4) I have been to many shows and when you heard "om-pa-pa" you did know that you were in for something special.
    Now we can only hope that Harmonix hears us and gives us some Phish. Please.
  • challgrenchallgren Unsigned
    edited March 2008
    A bump phor the phans!!!!!