Most of the RBN songs wrong on Pro Drums

ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
edited October 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So, I guess HMX should have left the feature out of previously released RBN songs. I don't know how RB3 created the drum track for Pro Drums but it's definitely wrong for most songs. And I'm really disapointed by that.

A really aweful example is The Heist by DNA Evolution. Just check it out on Pro Drums...you will know what I mean... OMG...

Comments

• DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Those songs actually don't have pro drums at all, they weren't mischarted. Since pro drums are charted just by marking where toms hits appear, the game doesn't have a way to distinguish between a song with no toms and a song that doesn't have pro mode charted. So it will let you play a song with no Pro Drums chart, but every single non-red hit (or non-yellow hit for a disco flip) will be a cymbal.
    That quote about sums it up. Pro drums weren't authored in RBN songs until July or later, and even then not all songs released afterwards will have it.

I assume we'll be seeing a lot of these threads.
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I won't buy any more old RBN songs, then. I looked forward to doing The Complexity of Light without disco flip (can't do disco beats with ION anymore..), too bad. They should make an update possible, though, or they should at least remove the possibility of Pro Drums being playable on songs that doesn't support it..
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    I won't buy any more old RBN songs, then. I looked forward to doing The Complexity of Light without disco flip (can't do disco beats with ION anymore..), too bad. They should make an update possible, though, or they should at least remove the possibility of Pro Drums being playable on songs that doesn't support it..
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Did you look at this forum before posting? It's not like the main Rock Band forum where there's 1,000 posts an hour.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited October 2010
    It's very unfortunate that RB3 doesn't do any kind of check to filter out songs that don't have Pro Drums charted and stop you from playing them in that mode
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    The workaround would be simple:

Parse the drum track to see if it has any MIDI notes 110, 111 or 112. These are the notes used to mark tom drums. If the track has no toms, it would probably be relatively safe to assume that it was charted the old way without pro markings and cause them to be tom notes. Either that, or it is meant to have no tom notes, in which case, playing it won't be very weird because it will still play the same way as it did in the old days (on pads).
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited October 2010
    NoThru22;4130241 said:
    Did you look at this forum before posting? It's not like the main Rock Band forum where there's 1,000 posts an hour.

I saw that there were a few song specific complains, so I just wanted to make a shout out that many songs are wrong. xD

Argh, whatever, I just think it sucks. If I make a setlist and use Pro drums I know have to leave some of the RBN songs out....
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    No, there's an entire thread about this (as well as numerous ones that have already been dropped.)
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited October 2010
    NoThru22;4130619 said:
    No, there's an entire thread about this (as well as numerous ones that have already been dropped.)

ok, i missed those sorry. :P
  • QuazifujiQuazifuji Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    LunaticSoul;4130202 said:
    Unfortunately, Microsoft makes updating old things submitted through XNA impossible, so the only way for authors to add a pro drum chart is to submit an entirely new version of the song with it added, have it go through the playtest/review process again, and then people who bought the old version would have to pay full price for the new one. I imagine we may see this done for a few songs with prominent keyboards or harmonies once RBN2 comes out, but I doubt any authors will do this solely for pro drums (although I would definitely pay $2 again for Complexity of Light pro drums, but I'm not sure if there are any other songs I'd do it for).

I do wish Harmonix had told authors how to chart pro drums earlier (they could have easily mentioned it as an optional feature without actually revealing pro drums... just "by the way, you can also use these midi notes to mark toms. These don't get used yet for anything, but if you feel like marking them now just in case we ever do start using them in the future you can"), or at least included some way to let the game know that a song has pro drums so that it tells you old RBN songs don't have pro drums charts leading to this confusion.
    Coldplayer;4130528 said:
    I saw that there were a few song specific complains, so I just wanted to make a shout out that many songs are wrong. xD

Argh, whatever, I just think it sucks. If I make a setlist and use Pro drums I know have to leave some of the RBN songs out....

Yeah, it sucks, although the specific song you mentioned (The Heist) was one of the pre-pro-drums songs, so it's going to be all cymbals. There may be some instances of songs that actually do have pro charted being mischarted, since no one could test it, but so far the only specific instance of that I've heard of in an RBN song was Fairwood apologizing for two missing toms he noticed in Runaway.