Wired SingStar microphones in Rock Band 3.

KinjiKinji Unsigned
edited October 2010 in Rock Band
I was wondering if both the red and blue wired Singstar mics worked with Rock band 3.

I know in Rock Band 2 I heard only one would work because of the way it was connected (they both plugged into something, then into a single USB port). But I ask because the back of the game case says "SingStar Microphones Compatible" (Microphones - Plural), So I'm hoping it's an issue they resolved.

I need 2 more mics so I can do vocal harmonies, and this would be the cheapest way for me to do so.

Comments

• IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited October 2010
    Kinji;4140359 said:
    I was wondering if both the red and blue wired Singstar mics worked with Rock band 3.
    Yes, both work.

You "may" want to plug the SingStar mics in, and go into your PS3's Settings > Accessories > Audio Devices menu and crank the sensitivity for the SingStar microphones a bit. RB3 is a bit flaky about reading pitches off them otherwise.
  • SaccianSaccian Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    My Singstar mics(from Singstar 2) worked fine for singing but neither one worked for chatting to fellow online players. If I joined in with vocals the little volume meter would go up and down when I talked but nothing was going through to my fellow band mates. Tomorrow I am going to have to scour the city for an RB3 mic I think.

I've actually had 3 mics(2 Singstar, 1 Logitech mic for my computer) connected at once and none of them seemed to make it through to band mates. I have no idea what the problem there is. My Bluetooth headset at least works(dunno about for singing though).
  • justintimeROAjustintimeROA Opening Act
    edited October 2010
    Do the 2 Singstar mics work if you plug them into one of the guitar dongles instead of straight into the console's USB? I'm wondering because if they have to go straight into the console, I'm going to need to get a hub now.
    edited October 2010
    justintimeROA;4140394 said:
    Do the 2 Singstar mics work if you plug them into one of the guitar dongles instead of straight into the console's USB? I'm wondering because if they have to go straight into the console, I'm going to need to get a hub now.
    Of course. That's why the RB dongles come with extra USB ports (it's called Universal Serial Bus for a reason... because you can opt to daisy-chain USB devices into each other.)
    edited October 2010
    Icemage;4140401 said:
    Of course. That's why the RB dongles come with extra USB ports (it's called Universal Serial Bus for a reason... because you can opt to daisy-chain USB devices into each other.)

I figured as such. But I also know that you can't daisy chain two guitar dongles together and they have to plugged straight into the console. So I was concerned that since the 2 singstar mics are connected together into their own dongle of sorts, that they too would have to be plugged straight into the console.

But now that I'm thinking about it, if I have the Slim with only 2 USB ports, the only way to have 2 guitars and a keyboard (which has a dongle with 2 additional ports similar to the guitar, yes?) all connected at once I'll need a hub? Since all three guitar/key dongles will need to be plugged straight into the console.
    edited October 2010
    justintimeROA;4140439 said:
    I figured as such. But I also know that you can't daisy chain two guitar dongles together and they have to plugged straight into the console.
    On the contrary, you can.
    So I was concerned that since the 2 singstar mics are connected together into their own dongle of sorts, that they too would have to be plugged straight into the console.
    Negative. They'll work just fine plugged into one of the dongles or a USB hub.
    But now that I'm thinking about it, if I have the Slim with only 2 USB ports, the only way to have 2 guitars and a keyboard (which has a dongle with 2 additional ports similar to the guitar, yes?) all connected at once I'll need a hub? Since all three guitar/key dongles will need to be plugged straight into the console.
    Nope, you can daisy-chain the dongles to each other as far as I know. I don't have 2 RB2 guitars, but I know I've done it with a RB1 guitar dongle plugged into an RB2 guitar dongle, which was plugged into a powered USB hub, which was plugged into my PS3 Slim.

In fact, right now my longest connection chain in my setup is on vocals.

Shure Beta 58A microphone > XLR cable > Blue Icicle XLR-to-USB pre-amp > RB3 keyboard dongle > GigaWare 7 port USB hub > PS3.
    edited October 2010
    Icemage;4140471 said:

Nope, you can daisy-chain the dongles to each other as far as I know. I don't have 2 RB2 guitars, but I know I've done it with a RB1 guitar dongle plugged into an RB2 guitar dongle, which was plugged into a powered USB hub, which was plugged into my PS3 Slim.

Well I've never personally tried it, but I swear I've read somewhere on one of the Rock Band FAQ website (I think it was on the Beatles Rock Band site) that guitar dongles with the additional ports on them couldn't be plugged into each other. I'm not familar with the RB1 guitar dongle, but did those have the 2 extra ports on them too?

EDIT: http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/support/band-setup
    This is the site. It says the RB1 didn't have the extra ports on them. That's the issue. According to this site, you can't plug dongles with additional ports into dongles with addtional ports (i.e. RB2 guitar dongle --> RB2 guitar dongle).

So, if I have 2 RB2 guitars, 1 keyboard, and a PS3 Slim. I'll need a hub now, yes?
    edited October 2010
    justintimeROA;4140478 said:
    Well I've never personally tried it, but I swear I've read somewhere on one of the Rock Band FAQ website (I think it was on the Beatles Rock Band site) that guitar dongles with the additional ports on them couldn't be plugged into each other. I'm not familar with the RB1 guitar dongle, but did those have the 2 extra ports on them too?

EDIT: http://www.thebeatlesrockband.com/support/band-setup
    This is the site. It says the RB1 didn't have the extra ports on them. That's the issue. According to this site, you can't plug dongles with additional ports into dongles with addtional ports (i.e. RB2 guitar dongle --> RB2 guitar dongle).
    Huh, learn something new every day. I can attest that USB hub > RB2 dongle > RB1 dongle works. And as I mentioned, I've got a full 7 port hub filled on my PS3. So it must be something peculiar about the RB2 guitar dongle's USB setup that prevents them from daisy-chaining into one another.
    So, if I have 2 RB2 guitars, 1 keyboard, and a PS3 Slim. I'll need a hub now, yes?
    Probably? You might try connecting one of the guitar dongles to the keyboard dongle, with the other guitar dongle connected to the PS3 and see if that works before you rush out and spend money on a hub.
    edited October 2010
    Icemage;4140489 said:

Probably? You might try connecting one of the guitar dongles to the keyboard dongle, with the other guitar dongle connected to the PS3 and see if that works before you rush out and spend money on a hub.

Yeah I'd definitely try it first. But it seems like the keyboard dongle is exactly the same as the RB2 guitar dongle, so I'm assuming keyboard dongle --> RB2 guitar dongle won't work. Did you say you have both? Any chance you could test it out?

But its good to hear that at least you can plug the RB2 guitar into a hub and still use the additional ports on the guitar dongle.

If someone
    edited October 2010
    justintimeROA;4140505 said:
    Yeah I'd definitely try it first. But it seems like the keyboard dongle is exactly the same as the RB2 guitar dongle, so I'm assuming keyboard dongle --> RB2 guitar dongle won't work. Did you say you have both? Any chance you could test it out?

But its good to hear that at least you can plug the RB2 guitar into a hub and still use the additional ports on the guitar dongle.
    I just tested it.

PS3 > USB hub > RB2 keyboard dongle > RB2 Fender Stratocaster dongle > SingStar microphone hub

Both SingStar microphones registered fine in-game, as did the RB2 strat and the keyboard all playing at the same time.
  • ...Can't Be Serious...Can't Be Serious Rising Star
    edited October 2010
    Do the SingStar mics only work for PS3? Cuz I'm on a 360 with 2 RB mics, and I need a third sooo yeah...
    edited October 2010
    Icemage;4140527 said:
    I just tested it.

PS3 > USB hub > RB2 keyboard dongle > RB2 Fender Stratocaster dongle > SingStar microphone hub

Both SingStar microphones registered fine in-game, as did the RB2 strat and the keyboard all playing at the same time.

Awesome! They must have made the keyboard dongle designed differently that the RB2 guitar one to allow daisy chaining even with the RB2 guitar one. Great news and will definitely save me some cash.

Thanks for trying it out for me.
    edited October 2010
    ...Can't Be Serious;4140642 said:
    Do the SingStar mics only work for PS3? Cuz I'm on a 360 with 2 RB mics, and I need a third sooo yeah...
    No, SingStar microphones only work on PS2/PS3. Same way with Lips microphones only working for the Xbox 360.