The Authority would like your opinions on this potential 1m40s drums solo

TheAuthorityClintonTheAuthorityClinton Opening Act
edited November 2010 in The Rock Band Network
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc5E9rpCd_g

The above link is an early build of The Last Suppit by Lettuce. I'm curious to get opinions on how to handle this solo. A good opportunity to chime in about this before we put it into testing and review. There are a couple of issues here.

One is that it would cover up 10 potential drums fills and negate 4 or more overdrives as well as a couple of unisons.

I think this would be the longest solo to date... ?

I've thought about having multiple shorter solo sections but I'm not sure there is precedence or how awkward it would be for the player.

What do you think?

Comments

• Nathaniel607Nathaniel607 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    I think it's a solo. It's not even that long - there are a fair bit of solos like this in jazz related or derived genres.

For example, skip to 6:05 in this track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4yAk6qYUs&p=0303D042F6E78C1A&playnext=1&index=24

So yeah, even though it is a bit awkward in the context of the game, I think there will eventually be situations were this is unavoidable (especially if someone starts authoring what is obviously the perfect genre for this game - jazz fusion!), and this sounds like a solo to me! Also, it's awesome - this is a definite purchase from me!
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Maybe find one place to split it to allow for an activation? Other than that, I think it looks great. I will post a link in my thread.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    My major thing of contention with this chart is the guitar part - during the intro and another part a bit later, you have the rhythm guitar charted while I can clearly hear the wah-wah guitar doing responces to the horns. Though it is less to play, I'd still rather play the lead part than the rhythm.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I don't think it'd be that bad as one big solo, but maybe you could break it into a couple parts, perhaps end "Solo A" at around 4:18? There are a few beats of "normal" drum rhythms after that, then start "Solo B" when it starts to go crazy again? I don't know
  • AnayalataAnayalata Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    I think it's fine like that. Makes it funner for the drummer and tons more challenging. Day 1 purchase for sure (assuming Pro Mode is charted)
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Chart PRO Drums and I'll buy you one thousand, if it ever gets to PS3.. Sounds amazing, always wanted to play some jazz on RB..
  • LunaticSoulLunaticSoul Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    LunaticSoul;4158694 said:
    Chart PRO Drums and I'll buy you one thousand, if it ever gets to PS3.. Sounds amazing, always wanted to play some jazz on RB..
    I don't know why but I can't edit my posts.. Well.. I'd split the solo in two parts, one ending at 4.18 like Luigi said, and then make it start again when the snare triplets are about to come in..
  • kurathkurath Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    The solo in 100,000 years is similar length (1:30), though it has the difference of not ending the song, so that OD can be used after. It actually contains 5 ODs, forcing one to be eaten assuming no misses, although one starts it so possibly can be consumed by path.

However, a better comparison would probably be the Lucky Denver Mint drum solo, which is the last minute of the song, and is just handled OD free. I think what might work best is to plan an activation right before the drum solo where 3/4 or a full bar was hoarded, and just ride it out with a couple chained ODs along the way. In the somewhat known custom of Buddy Rich's West Side Story which has the same length solo, its organized so no activation occurs til right before the drum solo, then there are 3 OD phrases available before that runs out and no more OD for the remainder of it/the song.