how do I filter songs that not everyone has?

adam08obamaadam08obama Unsigned
edited November 2011 in Rock Band
This was like the #1 barrier for me accumulating a massive library, was the very long scrolling to see what all songs could be played with people online before making a decision, and I see all these filter options, but none that seem to filter out grayed out songs so that the list is concise and relevant.

So how do I do this, or did hmx fail at UI design? (yes those are the only two options)

Comments

  • KMO_2000KMO_2000 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    And after adding the "owned by all players" filter, make "random song" work. "Random song" almost always says "no remaining songs available for selection", especially if I've got any filters enabled, such as "Keys support" - presumably because 70%+ of the songs are greyed out and it's not trying hard enough to find an available one.

    So that short cut, which I'm often inclined to use rather than start scrolling through the list of infinite greyness again, doesn't work either.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    As someone whose song library is approaching 1000 (I'm about 25 songs away) I feel your pain. And it stings.
    Gorger;4158215 said:
    Harmonix did everything in their power to screw their core players, the ones most supportive to them that bought alot of DLC.

    They did so many changes to the online system, but none of them had any positive benefits....

    We can't swap instrument after each song, we cannot choose songs one by one, the setlist sorter is confusing and tedious, no album arts, no option to jump over greyed out songs, song icons are out, character naming has disappeared, no instrument icons after completing endless setlist... and so it goes on.

    I can't fathom how the devs managed to utterly ruin their game when they already had a nearly perfected system.

    You're exactly right. Online play was the best thing ever in RB2, it's all I ever did. In RB3, it's a completely scatterbrained mess. Even adding a little thing like the song icons back would be nice. A way to filter out uncommon DLC would be an early christmas.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    MofoMan2000;4460292 said:
    You're exactly right. Online play was the best thing ever in RB2, it's all I ever did. In RB3, it's a completely scatterbrained mess. Even adding a little thing like the song icons back would be nice. A way to filter out uncommon DLC would be an early christmas.

    Online play is extremely better in rb3 than rb2, absolutely no comparison. The removal of unplayable songs would be nice, but it's not something that really interests me enough to complain.
  • MofoMan2000MofoMan2000 Rising Star
    edited July 2011
    peterock2007;4460304 said:
    Online play is extremely better in rb3 than rb2, absolutely no comparison. The removal of unplayable songs would be nice, but it's not something that really interests me enough to complain.

    Really? How so? The one thing that is better is you don't fail out if someone leaves.
    Here's a list of what's wrong:
    1. Can't filter out DLC nobody else has
    2. On the first song in a set, everybody is completely out of sync. Want proof? Pay attention to the drum fills.
    3. Everybody picks a random bunch of songs. Who cares, right? You can have up to 100 songs in a set.
    4. Don't forget that you can spam Llama for all of those 100 songs!
    5. Where's the full band online play? I would LOVE to be able to have every part playing while playing online. You wouldn't even have to sacrifice scoring vocals.
    6. The whole issue with Pro compatibility online.
    7. Everybody LEAVES before you even start a song!
  • SkodeSkode Headliner
    edited July 2011
    peterock2007;4460304 said:
    Online play is extremely better in rb3 than rb2, absolutely no comparison. The removal of unplayable songs would be nice, but it's not something that really interests me enough to complain.

    Not to my experience its not, i also played RB2 almost dailly at points online. Now i rarely venture online at all - the problems before have escalated with fewer online modes for smaller groups (no score duel) and instead of a couple of hundred songs greyed out at a time i now find as many as around 1500+ and this is just me not one of those who have neared maxed out their song limits.

    The having the number of DLC owned on instruments before was kind of tacky but you dont even see that anymore - it makes me wonder if indeed you can even cutomise guitars etc anymore... im gonna check but if you cant it means theyve removed another way of getting across DLC levels through improvisation.

    To pinch an idea off MMOs ive played can we not have a party creation screen where we see available to join bands and THEN join them ourselves instead of being simply plopped into one - they could then create a description such as "casual players only, no DLC" or "looking for 2000+ DLC band mates only please"

    I miss the icons as well... you used to be able to at a glance find yourself having a rough idea of what level of play they were at - if they had a gold microphone i could tell straight off there is a good chance they are going to sing hard-expert on the songs we play.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    MofoMan2000;4460316 said:
    Really? How so? The one thing that is better is you don't fail out if someone leaves.
    Here's a list of what's wrong:
    1. Can't filter out DLC nobody else has
    2. On the first song in a set, everybody is completely out of sync. Want proof? Pay attention to the drum fills.
    3. Everybody picks a random bunch of songs. Who cares, right? You can have up to 100 songs in a set.
    4. Don't forget that you can spam Llama for all of those 100 songs!
    5. Where's the full band online play? I would LOVE to be able to have every part playing while playing online. You wouldn't even have to sacrifice scoring vocals.
    6. The whole issue with Pro compatibility online.
    7. Everybody LEAVES before you even start a song!
    I love the no-fail when someone disconnects. I love the ability of friends to jump in and out. I love the easy interaction with the leaderboards. I love seeing your friends scores in relation to your own when completing a song. I love the new sorts.

    RB allows mutiple song setlists, set by anyone in the group, which is faster & better than picking 1 song, loading, playing, loading, picking, repeat. And it's not forced turns, so when a setlist ends I can say "Hey guys pick some songs, I'm gonna grab a Soda." and not worry about it being my turn to pick. I can also control all the songs played if I need to, by picking all the setlists played in their entirety, instead of having to tell whomever's turn it is what the next song is.

    I get my instrument score/% + the band score. I hated in rb2 online play when I would get a FC that I hadn't gotten solo, and had to replay it multiple times solo afterwards to validate it. Now I can play in a FB, but I'm still recording and saving my solo contributions.

    1) You couldn't do in 2 either.
    2) I never noticed to be honest, so obviously it doesn't matter to me
    3) Get some friends.
    4) Get some friends.
    5) If you're talking about AIM, that is console problem not software.
    6) Get some friends.
    7) Get some friends.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    Skode;4460318 said:
    I miss the icons as well... you used to be able to at a glance find yourself having a rough idea of what level of play they were at - if they had a gold microphone i could tell straight off there is a good chance they are going to sing hard-expert on the songs we play.

    I won't argue this point, but in the history of rb I've never done a ESL, just don't have the time or desire to sit down and do it. I play with a expert pro drummer who can finish pretty much everything and he never bothered either. Plus you could be playing with the little brother or friend of someone who did it even though the icons are showing. Also, I pretty much know the ability level of all the people I play with at this point so I don't need a visual reminder.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited July 2011
    I haven't played RB3 online, but I'd have to say the fact that a disconnected player no longer death-drains the band to failure is almost enough to make up for RB3's online quirks.

    In addition to the filtering out uncommon songs, I would like to see the disconnect notification box being less obtrusive - maybe cover the disconnected player's highway instead, and the removal of the "same song multiple times in a setlist" feature - I don't remember being able to put the same song twice in a setlist when offline.
  • HeyRilesHeyRiles Besse's Girl
    edited July 2011
    RB3 improved playing with friends online, but it absolutely killed the quickplay aspect. It's vritually unplayable now

    Choosing multiple songs is great with friends, but it simply does not work in random. Oftentimes a kid picks four disturbed songs before I'm through the D section. Skipping over greyed out songs like in RB1 would speed up this process significantly. Also, in random quickplay people should be regulated to one song then brought to a waiting screen, or choose to abstain

    And the added instruments are an issue in random too, when a keyboardist will net you almost nothing to play

    Online mode is great now when you coordinate with friends beforehand, but its unplayable with randoms. I spend more time trying to play songs than actually playing songs
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited July 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4460393 said:
    I haven't played RB3 online, but I'd have to say the fact that a disconnected player no longer death-drains the band to failure is almost enough to make up for RB3's online quirks.
    Oh no it isn't. Go play online, then come back and say that :p
    Gorger;4158215 said:
    ...
    They did so many changes to the online system, but none of them had any positive benefits....

    We can't swap instrument after each song, we cannot choose songs one by one, the setlist sorter is confusing and tedious, no album arts, no option to jump over greyed out songs, song icons are out, character naming has disappeared, no instrument icons after completing endless setlist... and so it goes on.

    I can't fathom how the devs managed to utterly ruin their game when they already had a nearly perfected system.

    Sadly I do agree with this. Used to play a lot since the system was solid. Solid system helped overlook the small flaws. Non solid system=notice each and everything wrong with it.
    HeyRiles;4460417 said:
    RB3 improved playing with friends online, but it absolutely killed the quickplay aspect. It's vritually unplayable now

    Choosing multiple songs is great with friends, but it simply does not work in random. Oftentimes a kid picks four disturbed songs before I'm through the D section. Skipping over greyed out songs like in RB1 would speed up this process significantly. Also, in random quickplay people should be regulated to one song then brought to a waiting screen, or choose to abstain

    I guess nobody at HMX ever plays online with randoms to get an understanding of what problem this system has caused. It was my way of playing in RB2... It has now kept me offline most the time, and most people that I used to play with are gone from the series or don't play much RB.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited July 2011
    folkeye;4460641 said:
    Oh no it isn't. Go play online, then come back and say that :p
    Do you know how many fans my old (back when I had the Wii version of RB) RB2 band lost from fail-outs induced by disconnecting players?

    I've got to find something nice to say about RB3. :)
  • KingofLight06KingofLight06 Unsigned
    edited July 2011
    Gorger;4158215 said:
    the setlist sorter is confusing and tedious.

    Really? I've never found it it confusing at all (except for finding out what Date Acquired meant). Otherwise I've loved the new sorting and filters, I've gotten a lot of mileage out of it:

    - Only showing parts with harmonies, Keys, or Pro G/B charts
    - Sorting by play count to see what songs I haven't played
    - Sorting by Review to make it easier to see what songs I'd rather play
    - Using the genre filter to see what songs I have so I can make recommendations to friends on what DLC to buy

    And I've used other filters sparingly, I think the filters are very helpful once you start using them frequently.
  • DackAttacDackAttac Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4460393 said:
    I haven't played RB3 online, but I'd have to say the fact that a disconnected player no longer death-drains the band to failure is almost enough to make up for RB3's online quirks.

    Except a massive, opaque "j1mmyth3w4nker has dropped out" error message pops up right on top of your highway.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited July 2011
    DackAttac;4460736 said:
    Except a massive, opaque "j1mmyth3w4nker has dropped out" error message pops up right on top of your highway.
    Well, if it popped up over j1mmyth3w4nker's highway instead of everyone else's, then it would be enough to make up for the rest of the online quirks.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4460740 said:
    Well, if it popped up over j1mmyth3w4nker's highway instead of everyone else's, then it would be enough to make up for the rest of the online quirks.
    But it doesn't, it covers everyone except the vocalist.

    RB3's random online play might as well not even exist, it's so useless. You spend 90% of the time looking for people or picking (too many) songs, and maybe if you're "lucky" you'll spend the other 10% playing Freebird.
  • WillHabs29WillHabs29 Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    DackAttac;4460736 said:
    Except a massive, opaque "j1mmyth3w4nker has dropped out" error message pops up right on top of your highway.

    "XxXj1mmyth3w4nkerXxX"
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited July 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4460740 said:
    Well, if it popped up over j1mmyth3w4nker's highway instead of everyone else's, then it would be enough to make up for the rest of the online quirks.

    Again, heck no it doesn't make up for anything. The online play is a massive screwed up mess in terms of being user friendly all around. With friends, it's workable (except on a PS3 where you're lucky if you get a session without crashing), but for anybody else...forget it, Icemage is right. It might as well not exist. So few players out there, and yeah getting 10+ songs each set list is horrid. One is lucky if the group (or one other player) will pick less than....however long it takes the leader to hit start (pssst, that could mean a lot since it's not obvious at first who is in charge).

    They took an excellent structured system and trashed fully it all for the sake of....uh...improvement? Oh well, that sums up my personal RB3 opinion. :(
  • grizzlymazegrizzlymaze Fourplay for a Long Time
    edited July 2011
    Icemage;4460781 said:
    RB3's random online play might as well not even exist, it's so useless.

    Exactly. It really is a total and utter disgrace.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    MofoMan2000;4460292 said:



    You're exactly right. Online play was the best thing ever in RB2, it's all I ever did. In RB3, it's a completely scatterbrained mess. Even adding a little thing like the song icons back would be nice. A way to filter out uncommon DLC would be an early christmas.
    grizzlymaze;4460835 said:
    Exactly. It really is a total and utter disgrace.

    sorry. i must be playing a different game...

    what's different in rb3 vs rb2? the lack of score duel and individual score tracking are the only differences between the 2 online experiences. you're saying that these two features have rendered rb3 'a completely scatterbrained mess'? or better yet, ' total and utter disgrace'?

    seriously?

    *rolls eyes*
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    same people, different thread.

    i think you people are insane for saying the things you do on such a regular basis. every thread is the same. you rehash identical conversations from less than 2 days ago and bawl on about your ridiculous gripes.

    it's comical.
    folkeye;4460788 said:

    They took an excellent structured system and trashed fully it all for the sake of....uh...improvement? Oh well, that sums up my personal RB3 opinion. :(
    i mean, really? is this for real or are you trolling?

    what a joke.

    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE!?!

    you go on for months about this...any time you have the opportunity to whine about rb3 online, you power through your little diatribe and offer NOTHING in terms of context. what is wrong with the game? i've heard all of your sweeping generalizations and broad strokes of disdain. i want specifics.
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    McCREE;4460855 said:
    sorry. i must be playing a different game...

    what's different in rb3 vs rb2? the lack of score duel and individual score tracking are the only differences between the 2 online experiences. you're saying that these two features have rendered rb3 'a completely scatterbrained mess'? or better yet, ' total and utter disgrace'?

    seriously?

    *rolls eyes*
    Yes, seriously. And it has nothing to do with score duel or individual score tracking.

    It has to do with getting into sessions when you have 2000 songs and other people have 100, and you can't find a single song that's even valid to choose before other people have added 15 songs to the 1.5-hour-long-setlist.

    It has to do with the fact that even should you be lucky enough to find a DLC song that people have in common, some people will instantly delete your choice because they won't play anything but Nu-metal.

    It has to do with the fact that people have no idea that many songs don't have keyboard parts, and will strand keys players with the choice of playing half of those 15 songs staring at nothing but a blank chart, or go back to playing 5-lane guitar or bass using keyboard.

    Seriously, why did you even post this, since you've obviously never played in a random RB3 session online (or you'd know these things from firsthand experience)?
  • folkeyefolkeye Headliner
    edited July 2011
    McCREE;4460855 said:
    sorry. i must be playing a different game...

    what's different in rb3 vs rb2? the lack of score duel and individual score tracking are the only differences between the 2 online experiences. you're saying that these two features have rendered rb3 'a completely scatterbrained mess'? or better yet, ' total and utter disgrace'?

    seriously?

    *rolls eyes*

    Apparently you get very lucky playing online. RB3's online is NOTHING like RB2. In terms of actually button pushing to a song, its the same. In terms of structure, song picking, and ease of finding folks to play with who don't abuse the system, its crap. In terms of PS3 with friends or randoms, its even more crap with the crashes.

    So first you fight with people who won't play without a full band, they won't find one often, they quit.

    Get in band, fight over making setlists. It involves people picking as many songs as possible, some duplicates (many of the super long little boy songs) or deleting picks they don't like that somebody else picked as fast as possible. They don't know how to share or communicate. Or they think you're taking your sweet time picking songs since they don't know how many you have to scroll through to find things.

    If you get past the song picking step with the players still in tact, you get to play. On PS3 chances are you won't get far. It'll crash somebody's system, bringing everybody else with it. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

    If you make it that far, you get to see how many people tolerate many long setlists since people just don't seem to get not everybody wants to play an hour per set. If people don't dump at that point... then consider yourself lucky. If they dump, repeat all steps.

    Play solo (boring for many) or quit game if you give up. The above isn't necessairly opinion, it's my experience.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    The problem is that 90% of the complaints in this thread are not about the software, but how people use it. We should really limit all online play because you can't find decent people to play with? really?

    I saw an idiot driver run off the road and kill a pedestrian while texting yesterday. Lets remove the ability to drive from everyone equally, even those who are smart enough to not text while driving.

    Certain people would be perfectly happy if HMX put rb2 in a box, called it rb4, and sold it, but guess what, any decently intelligent person should realize that would never happen. Games evolve, and sometimes these evolutions don't suit you as a indivual, but HMX is not coding with you specifically in mind.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Icemage;4460865 said:
    Yes, seriously. And it has nothing to do with score duel or individual score tracking.

    It has to do with getting into sessions when you have 2000 songs and other people have 100, and you can't find a single song that's even valid to choose before other people have added 15 songs to the 1.5-hour-long-setlist.

    It has to do with the fact that even should you be lucky enough to find a DLC song that people have in common, some people will instantly delete your choice because they won't play anything but Nu-metal.

    It has to do with the fact that people have no idea that many songs don't have keyboard parts, and will strand keys players with the choice of playing half of those 15 songs staring at nothing but a blank chart, or go back to playing 5-lane guitar or bass using keyboard.

    Seriously, why did you even post this, since you've obviously never played in a random RB3 session online (or you'd know these things from firsthand experience)?
    i've been playing rockband online longer than just about anyone here.

    if all you're complaining about is the lack of ability to filter un-useable DLC, than fine. keep on whining.

    the current method is no different than it was in the last iteration of the franchise. pay attention to what i'm asking or don't reply to my posts.
  • TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited July 2011
    folkeye;4460788 said:
    Again, heck no it doesn't make up for anything. The online play is a massive screwed up mess in terms of being user friendly all around. With friends, it's workable (except on a PS3 where you're lucky if you get a session without crashing), but for anybody else...forget it, Icemage is right. It might as well not exist. So few players out there, and yeah getting 10+ songs each set list is horrid. One is lucky if the group (or one other player) will pick less than....however long it takes the leader to hit start (pssst, that could mean a lot since it's not obvious at first who is in charge).

    They took an excellent structured system and trashed fully it all for the sake of....uh...improvement? Oh well, that sums up my personal RB3 opinion. :(
    I've bolded the reason why people seem to be happy with it.

    As for the long and painful setlists, maybe there should be a limit to the length of a setlist you can play online.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    folkeye;4460867 said:
    Apparently you get very lucky playing online. RB3's online is NOTHING like RB2. In terms of actually button pushing to a song, its the same. In terms of structure, song picking, and ease of finding folks to play with who don't abuse the system, its crap. In terms of PS3 with friends or randoms, its even more crap with the crashes.

    So first you fight with people who won't play without a full band, they won't find one often, they quit.

    Get in band, fight over making setlists. It involves people picking as many songs as possible, some duplicates (many of the super long little boy songs) or deleting picks they don't like that somebody else picked as fast as possible. They don't know how to share or communicate. Or they think you're taking your sweet time picking songs since they don't know how many you have to scroll through to find things.

    If you get past the song picking step with the players still in tact, you get to play. On PS3 chances are you won't get far. It'll crash somebody's system, bringing everybody else with it. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

    If you make it that far, you get to see how many people tolerate many long setlists since people just don't seem to get not everybody wants to play an hour per set. If people don't dump at that point... then consider yourself lucky. If they dump, repeat all steps.

    Play solo (boring for many) or quit game if you give up. The above isn't necessairly opinion, it's my experience.

    these are problems with people, not the game.

    i've said it for months.

    FIND NEW PEOPLE.

    you CANNOT blame HMX for the stupidity of the masses.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    TheHundredDollarHeadache;4460897 said:
    I've bolded the reason why people seem to be happy with it.

    As for the long and painful setlists, maybe there should be a limit to the length of a setlist you can play online.

    really? my experience is going to be limited because you don't like the people you play with online?
  • IcemageIcemage Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    McCREE;4460895 said:
    the current method is no different than it was in the last iteration of the franchise. pay attention to what i'm asking or don't reply to my posts.
    No, it really is not.

    RB2: Everyone got to pick ONE (1) song. Everyone could choose which chart they would play, and what difficulty. If someone else picked a song you didn't like, tough, you either played it or left the band.

    RB3: One player can spam the setlist with 8 songs before anyone else can find even one that's valid to play, then delete anything that anyone else adds. If someone picks a song you don't like, you can delete it (but they can do the same to you).

    RB2: Number of songs played at a time: 1. Typical time investment, about 3-10 minutes, with 4-5 being the average.

    RB3: Average number of songs in a typical random session: about *6*, average time investment about half an hour.

    RB2: You can change instruments and difficulty between every song, so if one song is too hard for you, you can drop down and still play at a comfortable difficulty.

    RB3: Every song has to be played on the same instrument and difficulty. So good luck finding a happy medium when Through the Fire and the Flames appears next to Bad Romance (but wait, DLC never appears anyway, so let's replace those with Beast and the Harlot and Rehab).

    How you can consider these even vaguely similar, I have no idea.
  • McCREEMcCREE Opening Act
    edited July 2011
    Icemage;4460921 said:
    No, it really is not.

    RB2: Everyone got to pick ONE (1) song. Everyone could choose which chart they would play, and what difficulty. If someone else picked a song you didn't like, tough, you either played it or left the band.

    RB3: One player can spam the setlist with 8 songs before anyone else can find even one that's valid to play, then delete anything that anyone else adds. If someone picks a song you don't like, you can delete it (but they can do the same to you).

    RB2: Number of songs played at a time: 1. Typical time investment, about 3-10 minutes, with 4-5 being the average.

    RB3: Average number of songs in a typical random session: about *6*, average time investment about half an hour.

    RB2: You can change instruments and difficulty between every song, so if one song is too hard for you, you can drop down and still play at a comfortable difficulty.

    RB3: Every song has to be played on the same instrument and difficulty. So good luck finding a happy medium when Through the Fire and the Flames appears next to Bad Romance (but wait, DLC never appears anyway, so let's replace those with Beast and the Harlot and Rehab).

    How you can consider these even vaguely similar, I have no idea.

    all you are doing is complaining about THE PEOPLE THAT PLAY THE GAME.

    sorry, i can't help the fact that you play with morons.

    make some new friends.
    Icemage;4460921 said:

    RB3: Every song has to be played on the same instrument and difficulty. So good luck finding a happy medium when Through the Fire and the Flames appears next to Bad Romance (but wait, DLC never appears anyway, so let's replace those with Beast and the Harlot and Rehab).

    How you can consider these even vaguely similar, I have no idea.
    WTF are you even talking about with this? not even close to true.
  • peterock2007peterock2007 Road Warrior
    edited July 2011
    McCREE;4460930 said:
    all you are doing is complaining about THE PEOPLE THAT PLAY THE GAME.

    sorry, i can't help the fact that you play with morons.

    make some new friends.

    I've been saying this exact thing since rb3 came out. Why should everyone be limited because you're stuck playing randoms?
Sign In or Register to comment.