Compooter Help

lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
edited July 2007 in Less Rokk More Talk
So basically since I'm doing it all day anyways, I figure if anybody's got any probs with their computer (Crashes, bugs, blue screen of death whatever) post it in here and anybody willing to help can give some info. I can help determine whats going on with it at least and suggest some stuff to try.

SHOOT EM!

Comments

• The_WurmThe_Wurm Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    yea, and then we'll help you out by saying:

"Restart your computer....... and thats it!"
  • DIEGOROBOT26DIEGOROBOT26 Banned
    edited July 2007
    My computer for some reason likes to take very long to start up, and it takes forever for the internet connection icon in the corner to appear therefore making me wait like 7 minutes to browse the web. Anger and sh*t.:mad:
  • lithiumkclithiumkc Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    DIEGOROBOT26;22768 said:
    My computer for some reason likes to take very long to start up, and it takes forever for the internet connection icon in the corner to appear therefore making me wait like 7 minutes to browse the web. Anger and sh*t.:mad:
    The majority of the time, slow startup is due to background startup programs. That means there are programs (or spyware) installed that are all starting up at the same time, when you log in to windows. This makes it slow down because it has to process them all one by one to start them up.

Go to start -> run -> msconfig and hit enter. Pick selective startup and then go to startup programs. You'll see a huge list of programs with checkboxes. Those are all the programs that are running during startup. See how many you recognize and choose which ones you want to start up. The less you have checked the faster its gonna start up, but some of them are pretty much required for startup so it takes trial and error sometimes.

Its probably related to the internet starting up slow too. If you have lots of popups then you probably have spyware, so reinstalling windows or doing a system recovery if possible is a good plan.

Best thing to make computers speed up is to backup your important files and completely reinstall the OS [Format the hard drive as well] or do a system recovery, then load your files back on. That way the whole things running like it's new, and will have no startup programs loaded.