Ziltoid has control of your gaming machine!

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited November 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Just wanted to let you all know that the first Ziltoid track will enter testing very shortly.

Devin really outdid himself with the Rock Band exclusive version of ZTO.

Everything from making your characters fart, to your onscreen characters being taken over by Ziltoid and proclaiming they like to eat poop, screams and pyrotechnics.

Not to mention Ziltoid belittling you (the player) and Rock Band in general.

I was blown away by how out of the box this track is, and we hope you guys are going to get a big kick out of it when it releases!

Comments

• shadowking42shadowking42 Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Awesome! I cannot wait! Now did I hear that Devin was planning on some of his other projects showing up on RBN as well, such as Addicted? Doesn't matter which project it is, I hope eventually all of it shows up. Drummers should fear if any of his Strapping Young Lad stuff shows up. Gene Hoglan is a monster! Thanks for the update though, keep us posted!
  • ThornDavisThornDavis Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    Now, if Devin could just convince his old pals The Wildhearts to stick some stuff on RBN, I would be the happiest camper in Rock Town.
  • GuyOneGuyOne Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    What track is being tested first? :D

Also let's try and get this out for all three consoles ASAP! Why do I say that? Because I own a Wii, Hevy Devy is my favorite artist and Ziltoid is coming to RBN. :(
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    The first track is ZTO (we're doing the album in order).

The plan is if Ziltoid and Addicted do well to bring all of Devin's material to Rock Band Network.
    Yes that includes the Strapping Young Lad albums.
    Devin will be reviewing things after each album has been completed, and he'll decide if he wants to continue releasing albums on the service then.

The early plan (and of course plans change as you are all aware), that the third album to be released (IF Ziltoid and Addicted sell well), will be The New Black by Strapping Young Lad.

Of course Devin might change his mind, sales might not be high, or any number of things that could change this. BUT if the stars align and things go right, then that is the third album you can expect later next year.
    edited November 2010
    FINGERS ARE CROSSED. Holy guacamole! I avidly follow Devy on the forums and Twitter and never did I hear anything about more than just Ziltoid being done.

How does it chosen what songs come to all the consoles for RBN? Devy is a must for all. No better way to make his music more accessible. I really wouldn't see why he wouldn't bring it all to RB considering he is so damn easy going and wants as many people to enjoy his music as possible not to mention he is a NERD and nerds rule.
    edited November 2010
    Sales, and other behind the scenes stuff determines which songs get ported over. The final decision is in HMX's hands on what tracks to port over.

Our fingers are crossed that at the very least the entire Ziltoid album makes the transistion as it is really one big cohesive story about Ziltoid attacking not only the earth but Rock Band in this new version.

Matter of fact at the end of ZTO Ziltoid claims that you only have 43 minutes to convince him that playing plastic guitars is not for nerds.

So it would feel very incomplete if Ziltoid is released to the other consoles out of order or missing songs.

Oh and he still demands his damned cup of coffee too ;)
    edited November 2010
    Well in that case I am glad I still have 6 unopened cans of Tim Hortons in the cupboard. Best coffee Earth has to offer. :D

As soon as it comes I'll be purchasing the album and I am sure a lot of metalheads with RB will get at least the track Ziltoidia Attaxx!! if not more tracks. As much as Ziltoid destroys and it would be awesome to get Addicted. Probably my favorite album from Hevy Devy period. Followed by Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution.

If the entire album doesn't do well maybe Devy would at least release singles. I couldn't imagine him totally ignoring the RB world.

How long does testing usually go? I don't know a whole lot about it. Also is it planned to release the tracks individually or will it become available in its entire one week?
  • KaneRobotKaneRobot Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    I will plug the hell out of Ziltoid and Addicted to anyone with RB. It would be f'ing INSANE and a nerd-dream come true to see all of Dev's stuff available on RBN. Holy crap.
    edited November 2010
    GuyOne;4165660 said:
    Well in that case I am glad I still have 6 unopened cans of Tim Hortons in the cupboard. Best coffee Earth has to offer. :D

As soon as it comes I'll be purchasing the album and I am sure a lot of metalheads with RB will get at least the track Ziltoidia Attaxx!! if not more tracks. As much as Ziltoid destroys and it would be awesome to get Addicted. Probably my favorite album from Hevy Devy period. Followed by Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution.

If the entire album doesn't do well maybe Devy would at least release singles. I couldn't imagine him totally ignoring the RB world.

How long does testing usually go? I don't know a whole lot about it. Also is it planned to release the tracks individually or will it become available in its entire one week?

They will be released individually starting with of course the first track and going from there. Of course the time it takes in testing depends on how much attention the songs get from testers.

When the entire album is out I'm going to create a setlist challenge (I'm on the 360) that has each song from the album in order. That way people can play the album in one sitting as a challenge if they own all the tracks.

We'll get some preview videos up of the work in progress as the songs get closer to release.
    edited November 2010
    I really like the sound of the RBN version of Ziltoid. I always found it a bit too wacky as a record. The music was as great as ever, but the premise was a bit too... insubstantial for me to love it like Ocean Machine, or City. But it sounds like its perfectly suited to an innovative treatment on RBN - I'm much more excitde about this than I would be about just listening to the album again.
    edited November 2010
    Just took a trip to the grocery store and it was a must to pop the album into the CD player. Brought back memories of the Ziltoid performance at Tuska Festival. Hot damn that was AMAZING. Second (and third the day after) seeing Devy perform. The first was in 2004 in Vancouver while I still lived there. SYL totally kicked my ass that night.

Definitely looking forward to some same YouTube clips. I'll be spreading them around the forums and linking them to Devy through Twitter when they are available. I have already been promoting it on Facebook to to a few friends I know who have the game and would be interested. One dude already announced that he'll be purchasing every track released on PS3.

The support is definitely there! Really with Devy fans it is a silent force. You don't understand just how many fans there are out there and very devoted too.
  • XygnusXygnus Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    ZTO?

Loads and loads of want, Ziltoid the Omniscient is gold covered in diamond-incrusted platinum. I will buy it all, but priority will be given to By Your Command, Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! and Planet Smasher, my favorites among the album.

Also, how will you guys do Omnidimensional Creator and Tall Latte? I'm interested for obvious reasons.
    edited November 2010
    They might be tacked onto the end of the other tracks or maybe both of them are replaced with something more suitable for RB. Devy did say he was planning on adding solos and changing a few things specifically for RB.

Hyperdrive is my most wanted after By Your Command and Planet Smasher and Solar Winds. *Drool*
  • TwiggyTwiggy Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Good god almighty, I'm had a Nerd/Metalgasm at that news. My fiance' hates the game, but she's keen for Ziltoid (and more hopefully) to come out so she can play it with me.

... GAH!

A question with SYL songs though. I haven't actually downloaded any RBN songs before (It's an ordeal where I live as it's not technically available), but do they have a content/lyric filter like the normal games do? Because I'm thinking some of their stuff...in particular 'Heavy' are somewhat, how do we say, colourful and explitive riddled? lol
  • TwiggyTwiggy Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Haha an awesome thought (Which I doubt would happen)

I would LOVE to see the live version of "Far Beyond Metal" from Those About To Rock on here. If anything, so that your band can have Drew on stage for the chorus. That guy still makes me laugh when I think of it
    edited November 2010
    Oh poor Drew! Now he has to live with that forever!

How about Vampolka with the keyboard? Actually Synchestra has quite a bit of keyboards involved in it so maybe keyboard will be part as well. Would be awesome.
    edited November 2010
    Twiggy;4168060 said:
    Because I'm thinking some of their stuff...in particular 'Heavy' are somewhat, how do we say, colourful and explitive riddled? lol
    Yes, it would drain some of the fun out of 'You Suck'. And... the chorus of 'F--ker' would be a problem.
    edited November 2010
    RBN songs have to follow the same guidelines (meaning T rated) as official DLC.

So any songs with foul language will have to be censored or use the radio edit.

Devy is aware of this, and I don't know if he plans on altering the songs to make them more playable (ala Ziltoid) or if he's just going to do the quieting of the dirty words at this point.
  • TwiggyTwiggy Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4168707 said:
    RBN songs have to follow the same guidelines (meaning T rated) as official DLC.

So any songs with foul language will have to be censored or use the radio edit.

Devy is aware of this, and I don't know if he plans on altering the songs to make them more playable (ala Ziltoid) or if he's just going to do the quieting of the dirty words at this point.
    Look forward to hearing S.Y.L if he goes this route. I think almost every verse/chorus drops the F-Bomb in that song. One part has 4 lines in a row saying fudge, one of them the shugar as well. Would be an interesting song to sing to say the least :)
    edited November 2010
    I think it is time to start a petition that reads that Ziltoid be released on all consoles no matter the outcome of sales. :D
  • TerminXTerminX Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    I'm also curious as to what you'll be doing with Omnidimensional Creator and Tall Latte.. I'd imagine tack them onto other songs, but Creator doesn't make much sense at the end of Planet Smasher, and putting it at the beginning of Color Your World exceeds the 10 minute limit. Tall Latte going after The Grays works fine though, heh
    edited November 2010
    That would make Color Your World probably the longest track available on Rock Band.

I am sure the narration would change since the whole idea of the album has gone from being about dominating Earth to proving Rock Band isn't just for nerds.

I was scanning through the RBN metal songs and all the major metal songs (aside for maybe a couple) get released on all three systems. The latest being Meshuggah's Bleed. I have no doubt Hevy Devy will be released on all systems but it will be 2 months after Xbox release that PS3 will see it and anywhere from 2-5 months later that Wii will see it.
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure Tall Latte and IC didn't survive in their original states as we don't have songs with those titles in our album stems that Devy uploaded. And honestly I can't imagine anyone wanting to pay for a non playable track(s).

I will go through and see if they were added in at the end of the songs preceeding them, or if they were totally changed to fit with the Ziltoid attacks RB theme this album has.

Also :

We're currently working on Ziltoidia Attaxx!!

I think this is gonna be one of those FC benchmark type songs on guitar, frequent 18 nps strumming on top of the solo which hits 24 nps in a couple spots.

Ouch.

Ziltoid is not screwing around when he says to bring your best to the table or you won't convince him that Rock Band isn't for nerds ;)
    edited November 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4175780 said:

I will go through and see if they were added in at the end of the songs preceeding them, or if they were totally changed to fit with the Ziltoid attacks RB theme this album has.
    *face palm* that is what I have been saying since someone first mentioned it earlier in the thread.
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4175780 said:

We're currently working on Ziltoidia Attaxx!!
    So we can see demos soon on YouTube? Or maybe even ZTO and By Your Command popping up in RBN? :D
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I've seen your suggestions on what might have happened to the tracks Guy :)

However since I'm not on the team working on the album (I'm in client relations, talent scouting(artist and authors), PR and 'advertising', internal testing, and a few other departments that limits my time on actual charting) I haven't seen/listened to the RB version of Ziltoid yet outside of the almost finished ZTO and Ziltoidia Attaxx!!

ZTO is one of the hardest tracks we're working on (from a technical standpoint) as we're working on things to 'break' Rock Band when Ziltoid first takes over the game. Things like making the screen spazz, and flicker in and out like a signal is breaking into your game, and of course getting the charaacters to spazz and 'speak' when there is no playable/charted vocal phrase for the characters to use as reference has been a very challenging task (keep in mind we're still working with RB2 architecture at this point, and something like the above hasn't been done in the entire 2200+ tracks in the game)

So long story longer you will start to see work in progress youtube videos go up shortly, and songs should start hitting testing very very soon.
    edited November 2010
    Is there a reason why it is the RB2 architecture and not RB3? Or is that not yet available?
    edited November 2010
    RBN 2.0 hasn't been made available to us yet.

We've heard early January, but until that happens we're still creating and working off RB2 (meaning no keys, vocal harmonies, new lighting/venue programs).

Addicted will feature all the new features. We approached Devin about waiting until next year to start on Ziltoid to get the new features, but he wanted it out now so there you go.