Thoughts on double bass charting now available for RBN songs?

ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
edited December 2010 in The Rock Band Network
So we've just been told that we're able to chart double bass to songs now.

With the one condition that we release it as a different version as we still have to have a version out there that can be played comfortably on a stock RB2 kit.

So for instance it would be :

ZTO
ZTO : Double Bass edition.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

We're looking into if it will be worth our time and effort to release two versions of our songs that have double bass in them.

Comments

• kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2010
    sounds like a good thing to have options, though does each version need to be tested separately?
  • CyclonusCyclonus Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    I would most certainly be interested in this...especially w/ the amount of metal that comes thru the RBN.

Truthfully double bass is the only thing that keeps me interested in the GH games.
  • jeccanekojeccaneko Headliner
    edited November 2010
    I think it's better to just have one version. We already have community fragmentation when it comes to who has what DLC and then different consoles can't play together. Having more than one version? Meh...

I'd rather see double bass charted on the expert version of the chart of a single song. Personally, I play with a single pedal and have no desire to buy a second, but I feel like this would get the best of both worlds - you can please the people who want double bass, but at the same time everyone who has a particular song will be able to play it together.
  • ObsceneObscurityObsceneObscurity Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    YESYESYES

Ever since Guitar Hero got double bass, that's one of the main things I've wanted in RB and was very disappointed when it wasn't included in pro drums. I think this is a great idea.
  • Starfleet_RamboStarfleet_Rambo Headliner
    edited November 2010
    If HMX ain't going to do double bass, why bother through RBN.

If all songs can't be edited to put missing bass kick notes in, might as well leave it behind.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    The only real problem I see here is the album sorting. To avoid tracks with identical track numbers on the same album, the RB3 Version Bon Jovi songs had to be sorted under Greatest Hits instead of Slippery When Wet like the Legacy tracks
  • StreamOfNathStreamOfNath Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    As much as I would love Double Bass in RB, if Harmonix aren't going to do it themselves then... eh...

I dunno. I'm also anal about a) duplicates in my library and b) suffixes on the end of my songs (RB3 Version, Original Version, Double Bass Version) so I probably won't bother personally.
  • ForToday777ForToday777 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    Double bass compatibility is the only reasons I prefer GH's drums over Rock Band. Being a drummer who uses double bass, it irritates me having to slow my feet down, when there are way more notes being played. This news has made my year (in video gaming).
  • Miller1121Miller1121 Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Just as long as we get some All That Remains tracks with double bass. But I definetly vote YES for double bass in Rock Band.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited November 2010
    More options are always a good thing, not too slick on the (Double Bass Version) tag though for the same reason I don't like the (RB3 Version) tag.

However once I get The Feared's song ready and recorded, I'll probably want to give people the option.
  • chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Okay, why don't you authors just chart Pro Drums with double bass and keep expert the same? Obviously for songs released already you'd need to re-buy those, but from now on just chart double bass in Pro Drums and leave expert how it is.

EDIT: I'm going to have to re-buy a lot of songs, I have all the RBN impossible tiered songs and mainly those ones will get the update.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    chasenmusky;4170791 said:
    Okay, why don't you authors just chart Pro Drums with double bass and keep expert the same? Obviously for songs released already you'd need to re-buy those, but from now on just chart double bass in Pro Drums and leave expert how it is.
    We can't do that. There is no separate template for Pro Drums; we chart the tom markers in the standard drum chart to make it compatible with Pro. Both standard and Pro charts are the exact same, notes-wise...the only difference is the tom markers and the disco flip switch.
    edited November 2010
    So, would it be feasible to make the hard charts like expert and the expert charts with double bass??
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    chasenmusky;4171500 said:
    So, would it be feasible to make the hard charts like expert and the expert charts with double bass??
    No, because that would force people to get two pedals to play expert. If there are two versions of the song, then that wouldn't be a problem obviously.
    edited November 2010
    ^ Right, so basically having two versions is the only possible way. I'm wondering what's going on though at the moment with Harmonix being sold and if that will have any impact on the RBN, hopefully everything works out for the best.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    chasenmusky;4171500 said:

I don't see this happening, both for the reason DragoonXD mentioned, and also because this would alienate the Hard players. I wouldn't want to be the Hard drummer playing a full-blown Expert blast beat or polyrhythm that I'm nowhere near ready for.
    edited November 2010
    ^ You could potentially create harder medium and easy tiers, as guitar on the RBN and RB DLC has been including the B and O buttons in easy and medium songs since the Nickleback DLC I believe? Some songs I've seen have gratuitous use of the B+O buttons on the RBN on easy and medium, so upping the difficulty on drums on the lower tiers isn't beyond that far of a possibility. They did it on guitar, why not drums?

Also, I understand you would need two separate tracks, the only thing you could do, like I mentioned, would be upping the lower difficulties, which has been done on guitar so doing that for drums doesn't seem unreasonable. I know there are rules that authors need to follow while charting songs but it seems a lot of these rules are being re-written at the moment (double bass was not a possibility at all before, now it is).
  • XenigmaXenigma Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    It doesn't affect me because I won't be buying them, and I expect most players will stick with the normal version as well. If drummers want double bass for single-player, all the power to them.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    edited November 2010
    I think making two separate versions seems like a really sloppy implementation. I don't like the sound of it at all
  • AnimalsAsLeadersAnimalsAsLeaders Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    YES!

ZTO + Double Bass = :D
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    May be cool for the 360 players. I somehow doubt HMX would port two almost identical songs for the PS3 or Wii.

Other than that, I support the idea since I now have double bass pedals.
    edited November 2010
    EDIT: (made new thread)
  • Erra93Erra93 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    LuigiHann;4172519 said:
    I think making two separate versions seems like a really sloppy implementation. I don't like the sound of it at all

It indeed sounds like a really sloppy implementation. I really don't want to buy two versions of the same song..
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    That's our only option.

It is either this, or no double bass at all.

So at least the option is there for those that want it, yeah?
  • BlasteroidsBlasteroids Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    I voted no because it could generate duplicates in the library and it could potentially make it harder to find someone with the exact same version of the track you have. Whilst it is nice that you have the option, it should either be released with double-bass or without, not both.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
  • TheAnimeCowTheAnimeCow Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    It is incredibly sloppy, and could have been avoided if HMX had put in a X+ mode with RB3 instead of just going back on their word about double bass later. But, its a way to have double bass in RB, so i'm not gonna complain too much.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    TheAnimeCow;4180461 said:
    It is incredibly sloppy, and could have been avoided if HMX had put in a X+ mode with RB3 instead of just going back on their word about double bass later. But, its a way to have double bass in RB, so i'm not gonna complain too much.
    How did they go back on their word? When did they say that they have double bass??? They went back on their word on a few things, but not that.
  • HauntingYourKidsHauntingYourKids Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Here's my thing with making double bass. When you make a standard RBN song, you're making a song for everyone. Granted, some instruments will play better than others, but you're making it for everyone. By making a double bass version, you're making one for only one guy.

ONE GUY!!!

Making four (going on five) people happy is better than one, especially if you strategy makes you look like a money grubbing pig.
  • wesjett08wesjett08 Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    NoThru22;4180404 said:
    First preview of a double bass song in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQBxno8B-HI&feature=sub

Nope, That is the standard version of the song. The double kick version is MUCH more crazy, I was the lucky one tasked with authoring it.