Response to Questions about Viacom Selling Harmonix

Comments

• Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Flawless;4171288 said:
    The best possible outcome is that Apples (The company, not the lovable scallywag moderator) buy Harmonix.

Rock Band - iTunes connection and bundle deals on purchases.

... no?

Negative, chief.
  • espherespher Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    I'm interested in what caused them to operate at such a steep loss, be it old carryover or actual losses on recent productions, but we'll probably never know.

So, I suppose my questions echo those asked 500 times in this thread:

a) What does this mean for Harmonix's existing product lines?
    b) What does this mean for Harmonix, as a company (which we might not know until we know who the buyer is)?
    c) Who, if anyone, is the most stressed out about this around the office?
  • master2uallmaster2uall Back From The Dead
    edited November 2010
    sheesh, i got to the end of the other thread just now only to see it was closed, then came here and man, people are a typing today.

I guess this most likely means I'll never get that big 80's hair pack from a bunch of great 80's bands.

for the guy earlier who said it won't effect purchased dlc from the past i.e. look at heir komment alex and rock and roll star.

sad day, I have a bad feeling about this.

guess i better pick up the bon jovi songs now while i still can, cause i don't think we are going to see 3000 songs now.

just the rest of what ever they have coming, maybe a years worth of dlc is all we get.
  • RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    edited November 2010
    Flawless;4171288 said:
    The best possible outcome is that Apples (The company, not the lovable scallywag moderator) buy Harmonix.

Rock Band - iTunes connection and bundle deals on purchases.

... no?

Wow
  • Angelus73Angelus73 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    For me its only Rock Band if HMX is the developer not interested otherwise. My main concern now is ongoing support, just shelled out a fortune on the keyboard and my mustang will be more than a bit annoyed if the support for new DLC stops. Also what happens now with the Squier Strat? Are the plans still to release it?

If it does all go bendy I would like to thank HMX for the game I have spent the most time on since I started gaming. My wallet doesnt feel the same but you guys and gals have produced the best videogames of all time.
  • UltraceUltrace Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    The0ldMan;4171267 said:
    Will you guys continue to be the most awesomest developers in the rhythm gaming industry?

That's all that matters. As long as you're making awesome games, I'll buy 'em.
    This is a really good point. If the worst scenario comes to pass and Activision picks up Rock Band while Harmonix goes elsewhere, I'll just follow up and see where Harmonix ends up and watch their titles. Great developers make great titles regardless of who owns them.

In an event like that, I would just make sure that all of my friends knew what was up with the company's goings by doing the same thing I did when Rock Band was announced (telling them now, "These are the guys who made Rock Band" instead of "Guitar Hero".)

Fear not, HMX, your loyal fans--those formed through a love of awesome games and people--will find you wherever you end up.
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    I don't have any questions but a statement.

Thank you Harmonix for the best video game/franchise I have ever played, and still enjoy just as much as the day I purchased Rock Band 1.

You guys are THE greatest development team, and I have never had as much fun playing/enjoying/discovering/learning with a video game in the 32 years (yes I'm old) I've been playing them as I have had with the Rock Band franchise.

Please don't see this as a eulogy, because I can't imagine RB or Harmonix disappearing any time soon (read that as ever). Just think of it as a things might seem unknown now, and no one knows what the future will bring, but you as a studio have changed my life, and the life of my family and friends in such a positive way musically that words don't do it justice.

Here's to a brighter tomorrow with great news for the team at HMX.

Harmonix and Rock Band are just too god damned awesome to disappear.

The universe won't allow it.
  • babywolfmanbabywolfman Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Viacom wants out of the games business, but what about the profits for existing DLC?

I don't see them being so willing to let go of what is basically free money for them. Hopefully it's not as complex an issue as it seems, but that existing DLC might be worth enough for Viacom to attempt to keep the Rock Band IP while ditching Harmonix (and the games biz at large).
  • ShreddedShredded Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4171309 said:
    Harmonix and Rock Band are just too god damned awesome to disappear.

They're trying to sell it, not shutter it.
  • Darky_06Darky_06 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    Game publishers are so results driven now that I can't see Harmonix keeping up their high level of DLC commitment under them unless they are making substantial revenue out of it. I'd rather they went back under a Media Conglomerate like Time Warner or even Disney. These guys have interests in interactive entertainment, but they also have other major sources of revenue, so I'd imagine the level of pressure to perform with lightning stellar sales would be less and they'd be able to negotiate their own deals easier.
  • BandRockBandRock Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    I'm getting more scared by the second :(
    It's still too early to say who might be in line to purchase Harmonix, but as CVG notes, Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz is already making an obvious guess: "We speculated several weeks ago that, given the declines in the music genre, it would make sense to (re)combine the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises, thus we believe Activision Blizzard is a potential buyer."

Indeed, both Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock and (at least according to the few initial results so far) Rock Band 3 have met with fewer sales than past games in their respective franchises.
    http://www.1up.com/news/viacom-planning-to-sell-harmonix
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 2010
    HMXJohnD;4171164 said:
    As stated earlier, Viacom is in discussions with several potential buyers and will continue to fully support the business until a sale is completed.
    thatmarkguy;4171195 said:
    The implication there is that support for the business ends when the sale is completed. Think that's a sign that Viacom is keeping the IP.

The implication is that Viacom's support for the business ends when the sale is completed.

I still want to know, if Philippe Dauman is on the level about "we're getting out of the game business," what this means for MTV Games, because their name hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
  • Ledgo2Ledgo2 Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    babywolfman;4171310 said:
    Viacom wants out of the games business, but what about the profits for existing DLC?

I don't see them being so willing to let go of what is basically free money for them. Hopefully it's not as complex an issue as it seems, but that existing DLC might be worth enough for Viacom to attempt to keep the Rock Band IP while ditching Harmonix (and the games biz at large).

I'm sure with the series being sold, the licenses will go too.
    edited November 2010
    BandRock;4171333 said:
    I'm getting more scared by the second :(

http://www.1up.com/news/viacom-planning-to-sell-harmonix
    Would it be so bad if Activision bought it, left it as the defacto band product ... and used the HERO name for single-instrument games?

Probably not. The DLC sales are really good. I have a hard time believing someone would buy it just to kill the franchise.

Don't think it's going to happen that way.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited November 2010
    What is scary about a merger of the brands? I firmly believe that Activision would allow Harmonix to take the reigns on the music game genre. They have to realize that what Harmonix has set up is far more powerful going foward than what they have currently with their brand.

If Activision does purchase Harmonix you'll see Rock Band as the dominate and only music game on the market, strengththgngenening it for every single person invested into the genre.
  • GooseboyGooseboy Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Will this affect the quality and quantity of future DLC releases?
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited November 2010
    The buyer might only be interested in Harmonix or Rock Band, not both and shutter the one they don't want.

I worked at a pretty big musical warehouse who shipped hundreds of thousands of pieces of music equipment out each day.

Our competitor couldn't keep up with us but they wanted our customers so guess what?

They bought the company, raided it for what they wanted and shut the entire place down.

Not saying that is going to happen here, but I've seen it happen before. Just because Viacom wants to sell the company doesn't mean the company that buys them is going to have their best interests at heart.

What IF Activision does buy them, but shutters Rock Band and puts them back on Guitar Hero?

ANYTHING could happen. I just hope it's something good and positive.
  • Chocobo115Chocobo115 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    I hope HMX will stay open to all the current consoles and not jump in bed with just Microsoft...

Also will RB lose it's songs, DLC & exports if HMX manages to keep the IP when switching company?
  • DampizDampiz Opening Act
    edited November 2010
  • SayburrSayburr The Always Informative Rock Band Forum Guru
    edited November 2010
    I would be very surprised if Activision didn't re-aquire Harmonix. Look at it this way, at least there would no longer be any exclusivity.

No questions here that haven't been asked already... Good luck to everyone employeed there and thanks for the games! Can't wait to see what you all come up with next.
  • DeadManDrummingDeadManDrumming Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Shredded;4171339 said:
    Would it be so bad if Activision bought it, left it as the defacto band product ... and used the HERO name for single-instrument games?

That might be interesting. How were the Band Hero sells anyway? Might be a reason to snatch up Rock band and combine them for that series as well as make Guitar Hero spin offs. They definitely want to keep the Hero name so we would be called Rock Hero or just use Band Hero name.

Edit*: Would be interesting to see how DLC plays out. The best outcome is that we get RB DLC + GH DLC + RB Exports + GH Exports. Heh Dragonforce would be in Rock band then.
  • PankrazzoPankrazzo Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Go for it Bill Gates, go for it!!! It's your fav game after all, Bill.
  • apple4everapple4ever Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    Umpa;4171262 said:
    Please don't let Activision buy this. We all see what happened to the GH Series.
    Long Live Harmonix!
    You mean how there is feature parity across all three consoles? I think it would be great if Activision bought them for that very reason.
    edited November 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4171347 said:
    The buyer might only be interested in Harmonix or Rock Band, not both and shutter the one they don't want.

I worked at a pretty big musical warehouse who shipped hundreds of thousands of pieces of music equipment out each day.

Our competitor couldn't keep up with us but they wanted our customers so guess what?

They bought the company, raided it for what they wanted and shut the entire place down.

Not saying that is going to happen here, but I've seen it happen before. Just because Viacom wants to sell the company doesn't mean the company that buys them is going to have their best interests at heart.

What IF Activision does buy them, but shutters Rock Band and puts them back on Guitar Hero?

ANYTHING could happen. I just hope it's something good and positive.
    The difference is Rock Band continues to make money every month through DLC sales. A lot, it appears. I would agree with you if DLC was not a factor.

It's foolish to shut down that revenue source, as there's no guarantee that users will abandon one platform for another.

(HEY GUYS! I used the "p" word! :-p )
  • babywolfmanbabywolfman Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    If Activision lets Harmonix do their thing and continue putting out DLC for Rock Band (and allow that DLC to move forward for future releases), then bring them on. I think we'd all agree that would be preferable to seeing Rock Band die before falling into the hands of a major games publisher (despite its questionable reputation).
  • MPPMikeMPPMike Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    Flawless;4171341 said:
    What is scary about a merger of the brands? I firmly believe that Activision would allow Harmonix to take the reigns on the music game genre. They have to realize that what Harmonix has set up is far more powerful going foward than what they have currently with their brand.

If Activision does purchase Harmonix you'll see Rock Band as the dominate and only music game on the market, strengththgngenening it for every single person invested into the genre.
    My concerns if Activision were to acquire the game and/or Harmonix are:

a. Will Harmonix be allowed to continue to produce the game(s)?
    b. How will the DLC be affected? Merging the 2 DLC libraries seems an impossible task, so someone is getting left out in the cold.
  • geo2n2geo2n2 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Sayburr;4171363 said:
    I would be very surprised if Activision didn't re-aquire Harmonix. Look at it this way, at least there would no longer be any exclusivity.
    It wouldn't surprise me, but oh god, no. I couldn't live with myself if I supported that. I can't imagine how disheartening it would be for HMX too.
  • FlawlessFlawless First Poster
    edited November 2010
    From a business stand point would you kill a brand with over 2,000 songs licensed with the structure set up for future games or kill the brand with ~500 songs and a product which is lagging behind severely?

I know what I'd do, but Bobby Kotick, so...
  • edited November 2010
    LoopyChew;4171336 said:
    The implication is that Viacom's support for the business ends when the sale is completed.

I still want to know, if Philippe Dauman is on the level about "we're getting out of the game business," what this means for MTV Games, because their name hasn't been mentioned anywhere.
    MTV games is like 5 people in a corner apartment.
  • LirodonRicaroLirodonRicaro Unsigned
    edited November 2010
    Activision: You might be able to bring them back to glory. Emphasis on "might"

EA: They're pretty massive, and they've been your distributor. Wouldn't you like them as overlords?

Konami: You could teach them a few things about making good American products. Oh, and you could rework Beatmania for the U.S. as an Amplitude revival. Konami has also been getting better at music licencing in Japan recently, I'd dig some J-rock DLC, and your plan to make a Japanese version of RB could work under them too.

Disney: "Jonas Brothers: Rock Band"