Updating songs, what's your opinion?

chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
edited November 2010 in The Rock Band Network
Okay, since the RBN has been given the chance to chart songs with double bass, I think that is awesome! Congratulations!

I wanted to know what you guys think of how songs should be updated. As many of you may or may not know, rules of authoring songs have changed since the RBN was first introduced.

For one, guitar on easy and medium use a lot more of the B+O buttons, this was unheard of before but now is the norm on lower difficulties. Also, double bass was unheard of but here it is.

Now would you guys prefer 2 tracks, one like they do now and then one that is a double bass version? Or would you prefer one track? Two tracks I feel would cause a split in online play and even between people (friends) who don't realize, that there is actually two versions.

What I propose for having one track is upping the lower difficulties on drums just like they did with guitar, so expert would have double bass, hard would be similar to expert, medium like hard, and easy something like medium. Would you guys accept this way so that there would be one version of the song (for NEW DLC)?

Basically, rules are being re-written with what they allow and don't allow so I think it has something to do with what people suggest. So would you guys prefer one track with harder lower difficulties, like guitar was changed, or would you like to have 2 versions of the song?

Comments

• chasenmuskychasenmusky Rising Star
    edited November 2010
    The reason against 1 version would be you are now forced to buy a 2nd pedal if you want to play it, but you are also forced to buy pro instruments and/or DLC if you want the platinum trophy or full gamerscore in RB3, so forcing people to buy extra peripherals/content isn't unheard of in RB.

But if you have only one pedal, you still have the option to play on hard or medium which would be something like expert and hard respectively.

My whole point is you did it for guitar and bass, so why not drums? Is there some sort of discrimination against drums? lol (j/k)
    edited November 2010
    Main reasons wanting one version of the song, porting the songs over to Wii and PS3 will not require a decision on which track version is released, the library will be much less cluttered, and people will not have a split online (with friends or other players) for newer RBN DLC as they would all have the same version.

Basically, it's what you guys want who buy and play RBN songs. In the end I am partial to either outcome, I would just prefer if we could think of a way to have one version for new RBN DLC as opposed to 2 versions.
    edited November 2010
    And I say NEW RBN DLC because yes I realize once a track has been released there is no turning back. However you could pull the existing track and re-list it but that would still require people to repurchase the updated version.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    The expert/hard argument is terrible. For one, I don't want to play a slowed down version of my expert tracks.
    edited November 2010
    ^ Good point, didn't think of the track speed. Can BNS be turned on for hard difficulty?

I know one update people have been requesting is a speed slider, so you can put the track speed to any you like on whichever difficulty, but I don't really see that being implemented. If it was, the track speed wouldn't be an issue.
    edited November 2010
    NoThru22;4173337 said:
    The expert/hard argument is terrible. For one, I don't want to play a slowed down version of my expert tracks.

So would you prefer one or two versions though? If there was a possible way to do 1 version would you want that or would you prefer 2 versions? Or are you impartial to either?
  • yaniv297yaniv297 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    There's nothing to prefer, HMX have set clear rules on that issue: the difficulties will stay the same. Each song will be out in two version, one with double bass on expert and one without it. You can't do double-bass only songs, you got to have both.
  • DragoonXDDragoonXD Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    I'm impartial. Don't care about double bass. Or harmonies or pro guitar/bass for that matter. If I buy something updated, it'll have to be a song I love, because it would only be for keys.
    edited November 2010
    ^ I've been going this way myself, being more selective on songs. Basically I buy any impossible/nightmare tiered songs for the challenge and I buy whatever songs I actually like from the RBN.

I do however have to be a "completionist" so I plan on buying any song released on the RBN (yes, both the double bass version and non DB version) by March (hopefully Xbox releases a 500GB HD sooner or later lol).

Sucks that a couple songs are no longer available though :(
    edited November 2010
    yaniv297;4173363 said:
    There's nothing to prefer, HMX have set clear rules on that issue: the difficulties will stay the same. Each song will be out in two version, one with double bass on expert and one without it. You can't do double-bass only songs, you got to have both.
    Do you have a link I can check out where HMX explicitly states the new rules?? Wondering what they have changed.
  • PowerGamer990PowerGamer990 Opening Act
    edited November 2010
    chasenmusky;4173376 said:
    Do you have a link I can check out where HMX explicitly states the new rules?? Wondering what they have changed.

Here's HMXMister_Game's quote regarding two distinct versions of a song: link

And here's his response to upping the lower difficulties: link

Also, are you aware that there are 12 posts in this thread, and I believe 8 of them are yours. Not much discussion there. ;)
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Since most people can't see these posts:
    HMXMister_Game said:
    Actually, we had another conversation about this more recently. My memory must be failing (or else it was a private conversation with one of the authors), because I can't find the thread now.

After discussion we decided we would allow authors to release two versions of a song, one with double bass charted and one standard, as long as they were clearly identified.

We would require a version that could be played on a stock kit.

Also, if people want to re-release RBN1 songs with keyboard parts, that is also OK as long as the song title somehow clearly indicates what the gamer is getting, and also that everyone realizes the two versions are not going to be compatible.
    HMXMister_Game said:
    I'm discussing this internally with people, but my first instinct is to say no. I don't think that just because we are entering uncharted territory is a reason to confuse people further. Medium is medium, and always has been. I think that most players have an expectation about how songs should play, and we don't want to change it up on them without warning.

Also, to point 2 above: this is the reason we need a clearly marked tag in the song title explaining what this song is. If we can't find a way to let people figure out at least that SOMETHING is different about this song in the store, all bets are off.
    edited November 2010
    ^ Merci guys! Always such nice informative people on these boards (well for the most part). Thanks!