Records set by the Beatles that still haven't been broken

Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
edited December 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
While reading an article, I remembered a recent record breaking, so I wanted to know:

Any known records set by The Beatles that still haven't been broken?

All I can think of are best selling artist and most number one hits (Although Mariah Carey is still young and only three hits away from breaking that record)

Comments

• bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Most albums sold. That's the only one i can think of right now but im sure there are tons that they hold.
  • gamegyro56gamegyro56 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Most covered song. But didn't The Beatles have to break a record in order for them to have the record. I mean, how could they set the record, since someone must have held it before The Beatles....unless I'm just tired and am not understanding the terminolody
  • ColdplayerColdplayer Headliner
    edited November 2010
    gamegyro56;4200130 said:
    Most covered song. But didn't The Beatles have to break a record in order for them to have the record. I mean, how could they set the record, since someone must have held it before The Beatles....unless I'm just tired and am not understanding the terminolody

You are tired.

If you buy two apples and nobody ever before bought apples than you are the record holder of "Most apples bought".
    edited November 2010
    Coldplayer;4200488 said:
    You are tired.

If you buy two apples and nobody ever before bought apples than you are the record holder of "Most apples bought".

Ok, but what about "most albums sold"? I mean, someone had that record before The Beatles had it. Same with "most number one hits." Unless number ones started after The Beatles (I'm not old enough to know, but I think it started in the 40s or 50s)
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited November 2010
    Some other ones i can think of are. 1 was the best selling album last decade. Beatles most albums sold last decade by a band. 2nd to eminem:eek:
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2010
    Well, I don't think it's fair to count time-peroid specific ones.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    gamegyro56;4200130 said:

Wasn't it Elvis Presley? He was (and still is?) the "king" of rock and roll.
    edited December 2010
    Backbeat60-62;4207211 said:
    Wasn't it Elvis Presley? He was (and still is?) the "king" of rock and roll.

What? most covered song? If that's what you're talking about, then I have to lol. All Elvis did was sing covers, or sing songs written mostly by other people (he's like the world's most famous karaoke singer). And the most covered song is Yesterday with over 3000 covers.
  • Backbeat60-62Backbeat60-62 Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    No. I was actually referring to sales. Elvis, as a rock and roller, had way more #1 hits than anyone had ever accumulated before. But Elvis wasn't constantly flying around the globe on jets as the Beatles did. He never played a concert outside of the U.S.A. as rock and roll was mainly a U.S. thing in the 1950s. Plus, so many big name rockers died in plane crashes in the 1950s that he probably didn't want to fly internationally. To make up for that, nearly every country had their own equal to Elvis. In England their equal to Elvis was Tony Sheridan.

Elvis did what was normal, he went to songwriters and chose songs to sing. Sometimes those songs were not done by anyone else. It's not like how we think of "covers" in the post-Beatles world. He brought the rock and roll attitude into the mainstream and was the first notable record setter. So it's not karaoke because Elvis had a band that stuck with him and the same band kept on playing shows together even after he died. If you have ever really listened to his singing voice, it's quite unique and complex.

Other firsts would be meeting heads of state, getting keys to cities, being made honorary deputies, receiving war medals from heads of state for their accomplishments, as well as writing their own music.
    edited December 2010
    Backbeat60-62;4208100 said:
    No. I was actually referring to sales. Elvis, as a rock and roller, had way more #1 hits than anyone had ever accumulated before. But Elvis wasn't constantly flying around the globe on jets as the Beatles did. He never played a concert outside of the U.S.A. as rock and roll was mainly a U.S. thing in the 1950s. Plus, so many big name rockers died in plane crashes in the 1950s that he probably didn't want to fly internationally. To make up for that, nearly every country had their own equal to Elvis. In England their equal to Elvis was Tony Sheridan.

Elvis did what was normal, he went to songwriters and chose songs to sing. Sometimes those songs were not done by anyone else. It's not like how we think of "covers" in the post-Beatles world. He brought the rock and roll attitude into the mainstream and was the first notable record setter. So it's not karaoke because Elvis had a band that stuck with him and the same band kept on playing shows together even after he died. If you have ever really listened to his singing voice, it's quite unique and complex.

Other firsts would be meeting heads of state, getting keys to cities, being made honorary deputies, receiving war medals from heads of state for their accomplishments, as well as writing their own music.

He also met Richard Nixon and became an honorary DEA agent, which I think is cool.
  • theicon77theicon77 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    gamegyro56;4208249 said:
    He also met Richard Nixon and became an honorary DEA agent, which I think is cool.
    Considering he was probably hopped up on a bunch of pills when he met him.
    edited December 2010
    theicon77;4208306 said:
    Considering he was probably hopped up on a bunch of pills when he met him.

That's why I think it's cool/funny.