John Lennon Memorial Day

Arsenal-LadArsenal-Lad Opening Act
edited December 2010 in The Beatles: Rock Band
Tomorrow is the memorial day of one of the sadest happenings in the history of mankind. John Lennon was killed 15 years before I was born and know it's 30 years since he left this world. It is incredibly sad that the insane moron (who hopefully will be in prison forever) stopped the life of the legend John Lennon, the greatest musician ever, a role model, a fighter for peace, a family father, the list is long.

But I ask the same thing as it was in the thread for George. What will you do to mark this day?

We all miss you John, we'll remember you forever.

Comments

• CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Was about to make this thread, but you did it. Good :D

Anyways, me, my brother and a friend are going to play the Imagine album on RB3 + play a selection of Lennon songs in TB:RB.

And we will finish the day off, by watching Imagine.
  • MostSpartan14MostSpartan14 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Arsenal-Lad;4213030 said:
    Tomorrow is the memorial day of one of the sadest happenings in the history of mankind.

I know I'm probably gonna get some hate for this, but isn't this kinda exaggerating a little. Don't get me wrong, it was a horrible loss. And it's most definitely one of the saddest things to ever happen in the history of music. But it's a little annoying to say it's one of the saddest things to ever happen in the history of MANKIND. There have been MUCH worse tragedies throughout history. One worth mentioning right now since today is it's anniversary is Pearl Harbor. Hundreds of people died that day. And it annoys me even more since tons people are murdered every day. Yet we just brush it of as not as important just because those people weren't famous. Yeah, John was an amazing person. He did tons of great things. But that doesn't make his death any sadder or more important than that of other people.

Now that my little rant is over, I'll probably play Imagine (the whole album) on RB3 and listen to his music all day. We miss you John.
  • soup567soup567 Headliner
    edited December 2010
    MostSpartan14;4213453 said:
    I know I'm probably gonna get some hate for this, but isn't this kinda exaggerating a little. Don't get me wrong, it was a horrible loss. And it's most definitely one of the saddest things to ever happen in the history of music. But it's a little annoying to say it's one of the saddest things to ever happen in the history of MANKIND. There have been MUCH worse tragedies throughout history. One worth mentioning right now since today is it's anniversary is Pearl Harbor. Hundreds of people died that day. And it annoys me even more since tons people are murdered every day. Yet we just brush it of as not as important just because those people weren't famous. Yeah, John was an amazing person. He did tons of great things. But that doesn't make his death any sadder or more important than that of other people.

Now that my little rant is over, I'll probably play Imagine (the whole album) on RB3 and listen to his music all day. We miss you John.
    While what you said in a way is true, I would say however that his death is and always will be a tragedy ranking among the worst ever. He stood for something bigger than all of us, more important than all of us. He was a symbol for peace and love, and destroying that is I think is equal to the deaths of many people. He was working for a better world, striving for a better reality. No one should take that away from people.
  • JoeSaintsFanJoeSaintsFan Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Both of you are right completely, John Lennon's death was a horrible trgedy, but definetely not the most important, but at the same time, nothing will ever be the same without him.

We all miss you completely, John, rest in peace
    edited December 2010
    soup567;4213644 said:
    While what you said in a way is true, I would say however that his death is and always will be a tragedy ranking among the worst ever.

Worse than 9/11? Worse than the Holocaust? Worse than the earthquake in Haiti (or any for that matter)? Because that's what you're comparing it to when you say it was one of the worst tragedies of all time. But it wasn't anywhere near as bad as any of those, or countless other tragedies through out human history.

Listen, this is a very touchy subject so I'm not gonna say anything more about it. I just think it's sort of crazy to say that the death of one man is worse (or even comparable to) than the death of thousands or even millions. It was still a horrible loss either way and that's all that matters though. And we should celebrate everything that John did contribute to this world.
  • nascarfan19nascarfan19 Headliner
    edited December 2010
    I went to a Lennon memorial concert tonight. They played a wide variety of Lennon lead-vocaled songs from his Beatles days as well as Imagine (song) and my guitar teacher played lead and sung a few tunes.

< And the avatar changes now
  • CaptainKickerCaptainKicker Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    lol its rare that they play Beatles music in Denmark, but i was in a store and when i came in they played All You Need Is Love, and i started to sing loudly, because it was once in a lifetime for me to actually hear Beatles music in a store.

I sang through that song and I Am The Walrus, and people was starring like, wtf is your problem.

But anyhoozle, i went out and i probably got a few fans :D
  • Arsenal-LadArsenal-Lad Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, maybe I was exaggerating a bit. But this isn't really supposed to be a thread about the worse happening in the history of mankind, just a thread in the memory of John Lennon.

Peace and love.
  • Opus PenguinOpus Penguin Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I was alive when John Lennon was killed and remember where I was when it happened as well as when I heard the news. I honored both John and George last Saturday when I saw The Fab Four perform in San Antonio, Texas. They are a fantastic tribute band and I hope to honor both John and George again when they come back next year. Today I will be listening to John's music.
  • ManLovesRobotManLovesRobot Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    For George I did a 10 song playlist on guitar and had a blast. Tonight I will do the same thing for John plus I will play some of the Imagine record in RB3.
  • CheeseLordCheeseLord Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Thank you for your music John. I can't thank you enouf. R.I.P and I know you and Jesus are Rocking out in the Sky.
    edited December 2010
    I'll play "Imagine" at 10:50 PM ET tonight.
  • robbieconrobbiecon Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I have been listening to Lennon's music. Wish I was home to play through the Imagine album, but I can play Imagine where I am, and his John Centric Beatles songs. I wish I could have seen the man, but alas it was not to be. John Lennon has been one of the most influential people in my life, which is something considering he was gone before I came along.
    edited December 2010
    robbiecon;4215386 said:
    I have been listening to Lennon's music. Wish I was home to play through the Imagine album, but I can play Imagine where I am, and his John Centric Beatles songs. I wish I could have seen the man, but alas it was not to be. John Lennon has been one of the most influential people in my life, which is something considering he was gone before I came along.

I've been listening to Lennon, also. If you walked by me in school today, I probably had iPod headphones in my ears tuning out everything around me.
  • beatlesfan99beatlesfan99 Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Well its kind of hard to think after I just saw someones arm/wrist get snapped...but anyways I'll try to watch all of the Lennon specials on T.V. and will be listening to his music.

EDIT: Oh crap i'm missing Backbeat!
    edited December 2010
    beatlesfan99;4215471 said:
    Well its kind of hard to think after I just saw someones arm/wrist get snapped...

Umm...what!

And what kind of specials are on tv tonight? What channels and times?
  • beatlesfan99beatlesfan99 Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    MostSpartan14;4215475 said:
    Umm...what!

And what kind of specials are on tv tonight? What channels and times?
    Yah, at school I just saw someones arm get bent in a way that I didn't think was possible...

But anyways on BBCAmerica there is a lot of stuff coming on. Also VH1C is playing A Hard Days Night and a few other Lennon shows. I'm sure there are a few other channels playing some but I can't remember.
  • Rockbandfan23467Rockbandfan23467 Headliner
    edited December 2010
  • bridog7bridog7 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    RIP John. Listening to A day in the life right now.
  • AbbeyRoadCrosserAbbeyRoadCrosser Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    RIP John. Anyways im in new york. went to strawberry fields forever memorial.
  • JohnnyRhythmJohnnyRhythm Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    We will always miss you Mr. John Winston Lennon, I wish i couldve been there in the 60's and 70's, right now im trying to find tv specials, but none so far, you guys know of any?
  • liaminhliaminh Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I was in NYC on Wednesday and was able to visit Strawberry Fields for a few hours before catching a flight home. The area was pretty packed by the time I got there around noon. Couldn't get anywhere close to the Imagine memorial, people were packed ten deep around it. So I just stood on a bench and watched and sang along with whatever some guys in the middle were playing (I couldn't see them). There were lots of TV crews around, many international.

After a while a group of very young teens came and stood next to me. One of them had a little guitar, the cheap kind that didn't have any volume at all. They brought a little songbook and started singing some stuff. I joined them, of course, vocalizing and harmonizing and all that. Then I asked them if they had the Beatles Rockband game. And they said, in fact, that's how they got into the Beatles! What a heartwarming thing to hear on that cold sunny morning. Here are some video clips I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVf_-6Aqdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVH89g6oDwA
    edited December 2010
    liaminh;4218845 said:
    I was in NYC on Wednesday and was able to visit Strawberry Fields for a few hours before catching a flight home. The area was pretty packed by the time I got there around noon. Couldn't get anywhere close to the Imagine memorial, people were packed ten deep around it. So I just stood on a bench and watched and sang along with whatever some guys in the middle were playing (I couldn't see them). There were lots of TV crews around, many international.

After a while a group of very young teens came and stood next to me. One of them had a little guitar, the cheap kind that didn't have any volume at all. They brought a little songbook and started singing some stuff. I joined them, of course, vocalizing and harmonizing and all that. Then I asked them if they had the Beatles Rockband game. And they said, in fact, that's how they got into the Beatles! What a heartwarming thing to hear on that cold sunny morning. Here are some video clips I took:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVf_-6Aqdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVH89g6oDwA

That was nice ^ I also got into The Beatles through Rock Band. And, man!, were there some people at the Imagine memorial.

I kept my promise and played "Imagine" on RB3 at exactly 10:50 PM ET