What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The names of the trophies in I Am Bread are completely pun-tastic.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    Started in on Shadow of Morador: Game of The Year Edition

well, that game will likely suck up some time! I like it a lot - even if some of those chieftains are some punks
    31 games are on a "buy 1 get 1 free" sale on Playstation. Trying to decide if any of them are "must buys".
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited March 17

31 games are on a "buy 1 get 1 free" sale on Playstation. Trying to decide if any of them are "must buys".

well, just buy 15 of them

edit: Nevermind. I looked at them.
    edited March 17
    lol

I already own several of the titles.
    Two are on my wish list [which gets capped at 95 items] but I'm not convinced that 50% off is the best price I'll ever see for "Gone Home" [as I understand it: a short game that has no replay value] or "100ft Robot Golf" [I don't even own VR(YET)].

That 2nd one is made by NoGoblin, run by a talented ex-Harmonix member, and I feel inclined to throw money their way, so really there's no reason for me to be so cheap about it.
  • I was excited when I saw that Buy 1 Get 1 sale for Playstation until I saw the games... most were PS+ games several months back. So it gets rid of quite a few, which most that we were given free I can see why.. they weren't fun lol
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    well I now have the new Mass Effect... but I need to wait for it to download the update
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Lumo

This was one of the free PSN+ games this month, and I did want to like this game. But goddamn is this game frustrating to no end. The game makes use of an odd isometric angle, making some of the platforming a bit more frustrating, since it also makes platforms appear closer than they really are. The jumping also has some odd delay that makes repetitive jumping nearly impossible at times. The physics, especially the ice physics, just don't seem to work too well, either, making things that shouldn't be all that hard, such as pushing blocks, incredibly frustrating due to your character just moving away from the block naturally and walking more to the side of it.

That said, there were elements I liked. Some of the puzzles were pretty fun, and there were quite a few that gave me that sense of cleverness when I figured them out. There are also a ton of homages to older games, including Q*bert, Donkey Kong Country, Pac-Man, and others, and for the most part they were fun bits of the game. The items you collect are also retro video games and consoles, including Commodore-like cassette tapes and old game consoles.

But then there's the final item in the game, which took me right out of it all.

The last item you get is a Raspberry Pi. And they make sure to zoom in on it and showcase the brand. You even get a trophy for getting this item. This is right at the end of the game, after you get this item, you put the pieces together and win the game. The other items you get to build together are bits of retro game consoles, whereas the Raspberry Pi puts it all together, as if it's the "future of retro gaming." This entire game was actually a plug for Raspberry Pi computers. I am glad I didn't have to pay the original price of this game to be advertised to, because that would have seriously pissed me off. As it stands, I just have to laugh.

I give it a 5/10. There were parts I liked, there were parts that frustrated me to no end, and the ending reveal is just a bit too silly for me to take seriously.
  • Currently playing backlog now and chasing trophies (not going for platinums unless I get close to platinuming any of these games) [i bought these on sale years ago.. Far Cry 3 literally told me I hadn't loaded it up since 2012 and all i had done was play the first mission]:

Toy Story 3 (Just beat it yesterday. Close to the platinum but decided not to go for it. Didn't feel like getting all the collectibles.. )

Far Cry 3 (Near the beginning still... probably won't plat this one either)

COD MW3 (Def not platting it, but need to play through the story as I haven't at all lol)

COD Blackops (The first blackops, never finished the story. Hoping my save file from when I did start it is still there as I was about 25/30% through it)

I may add Kingdom hearts 1.5 remix, red dead redemption, Alice Madness Returns, and others later on.. just focusing on those 3 I have left. All these ps3 games I abandoned.. so many trophies I can get :D
    I'm going through my backlog too. March 2017 = the most trophies in a single month ever [65]. But mostly it's been small mindless games. I originally figured this week was when I was finally going to tackle the unplayed highly rated AAA titles sitting on my shelf, but the time commitment they require, it continues to intimidate me. And yet, after deciding that I don't want to commit to playing 4-8 hours at a time, I wind up spending 8 hours [on a weeknight!] playing "Kitten Squad" and "Worms Battlegrounds" and "Battle Islands", etc.
    I was ready to pull the trigger on that 2-for-1 sale, but "Gone Home" isn't included in the sale any more. Weird!

I was curious to see if it stacked with the 20% off coupon included in the newsletter they sent out on March 24th (expires today).
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    A little while back I started watching a Let's Play series of "Hollow Knight"

I wasn't planning on getting it myself because I suck at platformers, but it looks soooo gooood, and so reasonably priced (if not underpriced) that I finally decided to bite the bullet and try to git gud (or at least, "not embarrassingly bad"). I finished the first Dark Souls, so I may have hope.

After one play session I'm still terrible, but I did manage to beat a mini-boss.

Good:
    - ambiance
    - artwork
    - music
    - controls
    - mechanics
    - story
    - level design
    - varied environments
    - varied enemy types
    - interesting boss fights

Bad:
    - me (so far) :)
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Guys guys guys

I'm sorry Zelda, but I got my hands on a Take Your Heart edition of Persona 5 yesterday and I've been playing that all day! I'm not even done with the first dungeon yet but it's amazing. And way darker than I was expecting.

I think Persona will be my home game and Zelda my away game.
    "THQ Nordic’s Humble Bundle for PS3 and PS4"
    For $1 minimum (I was super generous and spent $3.33) you can get the lowest tier of games:
    The Book of Unwritten Tales 2, Red Faction, Super Dungeon Bros, Deponia and ArcaniA: The Complete Tale, all for PS4.

For me it was totally worth it to play the original "Red Faction" (ported from PS2). I really liked "Red Faction: Guerrilla" on the PS3 and am now inspired to get back to that one. I was just watching a video that pointed out how Red Faction was the first video game with destructible environments. They took this programming concept even further in "Guerrilla" with a whole (fun!) mini-game where you could chose a region and a weapon and see how much of it you could smash up in 60 seconds.

The other games have mostly terrible reviews but I plan on trying them all someday.
  • Recently got Horizon Zero Dawn and have been binge playing that...

...when I'm not binge playing Fallout 4.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    I finally beat Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I had a blast playing it! No it is not the best Mass Effect game, but it is still a fun game.

Some things I really liked are

The squad mates... this is the first time in a Mass Effect game I liked a human and an Assari squad members. I did not hate any squad mates (a first in a Mass Effect game)
    Along with that I enjoy all the interaction they had, I spent time driving around doing nothing just so I can hear what the two people I brought with me would say next
    I also really enjoyed the lower stakes in this game, The 3 games before were always about saving the entire galaxy, which made doing side quests kinda silly. In this game you are just making a home, so there is not too much pressure and it is not weird to help a person find his lost shipment

The game is not perfect, I had a few annoying glitches, and I hate the side-quests without map markers. I also miss a lot of the races from the previous game (though they are hinted to be in the next game) and it would have been cool to have more than one non-hostile new race introduced (but again the story explains that)

All in all, it is a new Mass Effect game, it does nothing really different but I am fine with that, since it has been a while since Mass Effect 3, and the universe Bioware made is great
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Now that I've finished Persona 5, here's my thoughts: it's excellent. Truly excellent. As someone who loved 3 and 4, this game had some incredible developments.

- The dungeons are pretty good. Well thought out, and thematic cohesive.
    - The music is great, as always.
    - The more stylized overworld and character models mean the game doesn't look terrible.
    - The story and writing are fantastic, as always, with some good and relevant social commentary. However, I would say it leans a little too heavy on overexplaining things sometimes.
    - The characters and confidants are mostly great, with a smaller number of bland and forgettable characters than 3 or 4 had (seriously, the out-of-party social links in 3/4 were mostly mediocre).
    - The gameplay is Persona at its best; having refined the elements of what made it a good JRPG Dungeon Crawler/Visual Novel hybrid, it has tightened up some of its most lacking elements and greatly improved the flow of the dungeons.
    - Lastly, the bosses are great and so are their dungeons. My personal favorites are dungeons 4 and 6, but I could understand why anyone could have completely different favorites; they're just fantastic.

So, all in all, I give it a 9.5/10, and it easily makes my top 10 games, if not my top 5 or 3.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    I watched a little bit of Persona 5 Let's Play streaming vids, and I gotta say ... it looks pretty cool, but those Velvet Room upgrade mechanics kinda creeped me out.
    edited April 23
    Earned my first "legit" platinum trophy today ("I Am Mayo" really shouldn't count) on Peggle 2. For every other game, I either don't have the natural gaming skills required to master it, or I lose patience / interest in the game long before I get to the end. But I'm an AWESOME Peggle player, I had it on my iPod Touch for many years. The skills transfer over pretty well.

Not recommended if you don't already know and love Peggle.
    Highly recommended if you have happy memories of the original.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Nier Automata, holy crap. Definitely top 3 best games of all time. Seriously get this game now.
    My instincts tell me I should hunt down and play "Nier" for the PS3 first, but the ratings for that game aren't nearly as high. I guess I could just read a summary of that one, to get a feel for any mythology that might transfer over. Or it is a completely separate experience?
    Haven't played the original myself so im sure im missing some references. But it's in no way needed to play it before this
    here's the review i watched before buying it. Wasn't going to before i watched it

it's a long one, but worth it if you're not really sure if you should buy it.
    got into Master rank on Overwatch ^-^
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Currently working on PS3 backlog for trophies again, so playing over a period of time:
    - Alice Madness Returns (currently playing. Cool game just frustrating but understandable because it's an older title)
    - Red Dead Redemption
    - Walking Dead Survivals instinct (yes I bought this the week it released lol. It's awful but I need to force myself to beat it)
    - Kingdom hearts 1.5 hd (last left of on Tarzans world )
    I'm just trying to finish up my PS3 games and I love collecting trophies so figured why not. I have others I can't remember . Some of my games off my trophy list I can't do because they were free games for plus and I used to use a different account for my plus downloads to not make my rb dlc list so long. Unfortunately those accounts aren't plus anymore so I can't play or download some that I have 0% of the trophies for.
    Far cry 2, crysis , and remember me are good examples . But I've decided if I see Far Cry 2 for really cheap in a gaming store rack I'll pick it up!
    As I remember it, Playstation didn't keep stats on how many hours you played (or at least wouldn't share that data with you, or with apps that you authorized to keep your stats). I saw the other day that there was indeed a way to check my hours of play stats on the PS4 at least. And I see now that I received an email from Sony on January 20th with my 2016 Year In Review stats:

243 Trophies Earned
    292 Hours Played
    Most Active Month: October

Your Favorite Games:
    #1 Star Wars Battlefront, 101 hours
    #2 Rock Band 4, 73 hours
    #3 Pinball Arcade, 14 hours
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

As I remember it, Playstation didn't keep stats on how many hours you played (or at least wouldn't share that data with you, or with apps that you authorized to keep your stats). I saw the other day that there was indeed a way to check my hours of play stats on the PS4 at least. And I see now that I received an email from Sony on January 20th with my 2016 Year In Review stats:

243 Trophies Earned
    292 Hours Played
    Most Active Month: October

Your Favorite Games:
    #1 Star Wars Battlefront, 101 hours
    #2 Rock Band 4, 73 hours
    #3 Pinball Arcade, 14 hours

Where can you find these stats on the PS4? I would love to be able to see how many hours I've put into Rock Band 4 lol
    Check for an email from Playstation on or around 1/20, for some summary stats. I'll have to dig in the menus to find other detailed stats, I can't remember how I ran into them.
    Vanquish is coming to PC! I've, uh, never played it. But research tells me I own it on the PS3 [free with PS+ back in mid-February 2013]. Worth a play?
    platinum games games are always worth it.