What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Finished Persona 5 at 120 hours. I may have been sleeping for at least ten of those, in efforts to stay up later than my body could handle.

Immediately started a New Game Plus.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Finished Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD! Only game left for me to finish is 358/2 Days (I've already seen the cutscenes)

Check for an email from Playstation on or around 1/20, for some summary stats. I'll have to dig in the menus to find other detailed stats, I can't remember how I ran into them.

Oh, huh, cool.

I was going to say that it didn't seem too bad if only RB broke 50 hours, but then I realized I played 108 hours of Pokemon Sun in way too short a timeframe.

Well, it can't HURT.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    Bought Injustice 2 last night. It's pretty awesome. Some of the character choices are dull though.
    Poison Ivy's supermove is awesome
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Completed all the endings in Nier Automata.

it's so hard to try and convince people to get this.
    It's so hard to try to talk about it without spoiling anything.
    So i'll keep it short.
    Nier Automata is something that will show you what the true potential of a game is. It will make you think about games in ways you've never done before. It will ask you to sacrifice. It will make you feel for things you thought you wouldn't feel for. It will make you think of all the other people that played the game before you.

For all those that will eventually play this game. Get to ending E. Don't give up.
    Don't give up.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    OK, you convinced me, I rented it. But do I really have to commit 70-120 hours (or more) to this game? That's a lot of time!

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited June 8
    well, first playthrough is about 10-15 hours depending on your playstyle
    2nd is basically a rushed version of the first
    3rd is completely different, but slightly shorter than the 1st and 2nd.

after that you unlock chapter select, and you can just replay the last chapter for the other endings + clear up some sidequests.

there's still plenty to do after that like secret bosses and areas, but if you're only renting it then that's all pretty skippable.

Took me just over 40 hours total and i'm one of those people that needs to do every sidequest
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I've been playing Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star recently. It's an alt. universe spin-off of Fate/stay night, with visual novel cutscenes and dynasty warriors/musou-esque hack 'n slash gameplay. It's for the most part competently put together, the gameplay flows well, it looks alright, the music is nice, and each character (only 16/17 playable) feels fairly distinct from the rest. If you're looking for a decent time waster you don't need to think about, it's a good call, considering the story is a dumpster fire behind a particularly sub-par Taco Bell.
  • So I bought For Honor on sale. I should have not since I didn't really care for it in the Beta but was hoping the unbalanced shitfest it was in beta would be fixed.. no not at all. They are allowing someone whose level 65 and has better gear to face off against me who's new? That's way unbalanced. Ubisoft doesn't deserve my money anymore. Unfortunately they make Far Cry and South Park or i'd say I could keep that promise...
    Finally loaded up Overwatch. I am not sure I really "played" it yet, I only completed the tutorial levels (including team of Real People vs Bots). That does give me stats. I am told now is a good time to play because it's The Summer Games. More crates? Unique crates? Do the crates give me anything that's not just cosmetic? So far I have unlocked Spray Paint Tags (which I haven't unlocked the use of) and a Victory Pose and Voices (which I also believe that I can't use yet). Watching people destroy Bots it's clear I will be badly over-matched, probably forever. Dammit.
    Everybody's Golf comes out on August 29th. It's from the franchise formerly known as Hot Shots Golf. Is anyone pre-ordering it?
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    Has anyone tried out "West of Loathing" yet? I played a ton of the web-based Kingdom of Loathing back in the day, curious how this compares.
    I bought it on Steam but haven't played it yet. I LOVED KoL so if nothing else I wanted to "give back". What little I've heard about it sounds just as hilarious. All I really need to hear was, "it doesn't suck" to buy it. I'm looking forward to experiencing it all, on my own, unspoiled. Soon.

It's got an 87 rating on metacritic, for whatever that is worth.

Everybody's Golf comes out on August 29th. It's from the franchise formerly known as Hot Shots Golf. Is anyone pre-ordering it?

OK, how about Call of Duty: WWII? I'm less excited about this one than I am about golf (!) but WWII has proven to be a great subject for games and it would surely be way more fun to play this one if some of my friends own it as well. The game comes out November 3rd, but the private beta goes live in 10 days for those that pre-order it.
  • Everybody's Golf comes out on August 29th. It's from the franchise formerly known as Hot Shots Golf. Is anyone pre-ordering it?

OK, how about Call of Duty: WWII? I'm less excited about this one than I am about golf (!) but WWII has proven to be a great subject for games and it would surely be way more fun to play this one if some of my friends own it as well. The game comes out November 3rd, but the private beta goes live in 10 days for those that pre-order it.
    Might be the first COD I bought and seem like I'll enjoy in a long time.
    Did buy Black Ops 3 (mostly because ps4 at the time literally had nothing coming out) but didn't enjoy it at all.
    I've still got my hopes up that they eventually try a civil war battlefield or call of duty .
    Civil War? That would be super-slow paced. I'd probably enjoy that, as I am very patient and my reflexes are not Olympic caliber. But, man, if it was at all realistic it would be incredibly grim.
  • Civil War? That would be super-slow paced. I'd probably enjoy that, as I am very patient and my reflexes are not Olympic caliber. But, man, if it was at all realistic it would be incredibly grim.

Yeah unfortunately with today's ADHD youth (lol) we'd never see any slow paced FPS anymore. That's why I don't expect a Civil War game just would be really cool. Imagine the cannon kills :o
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    A modern Napolean era game would be fantastic in my book
    Ancient warfare seems to play better as a board game than as an FPS. For Honor seems to have made a valiant attempt at the concept, though technically it's not first-person or shooting (third-person swordplay?). Are there any warfare video games that cover the era before WWI that have satisfying game play mechanics?
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited August 16
    I haven't played it myself, but it appears "Mount & Blade: Warband" is well-liked (though perhaps not what you meant by "era before WWI").

After prodding by some co-workers I have caved and bought a copy of PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds. Joke's on them if they invite me into a squad and expect a helpful contribution (besides perhaps acting as distraction/bait).
    bclewis said:

I haven't played it myself, but it appears "Mount & Blade: Warband" is well-liked (though perhaps not what you meant by "era before WWI").

After prodding by some co-workers I have caved and bought a copy of PLAYERUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds. Joke's on them if they invite me into a squad and expect a helpful contribution (besides perhaps acting as distraction/bait).

M&B looks intriguing. Only on PC, right? The PS4 port gets significantly less love.
    Battlegrounds is already on my Steam wish list, but I have no idea what initially inspired me to put it there.
  • Ancient warfare seems to play better as a board game than as an FPS. For Honor seems to have made a valiant attempt at the concept, though technically it's not first-person or shooting (third-person swordplay?). Are there any warfare video games that cover the era before WWI that have satisfying game play mechanics?

I think For Honor's problems could have resolved if they put more effort into it, but they are enjoying the microtransaction dwellers too much to do such a thing. Unfortunately, I don't see us getting many ancient warfare (Egyptian, Roman, Greek, Vikings.. etc.) anytime soon. I wouldn't really consider the Civil War under their profile though. I think anything that had muskets or guns could easily play with a FPS mechanic.

Now i'm imagining a duel-style Roman coliseum game with multiple modes to make the online more intriguing. (Add animals such as they did, do naval battles...) I'm sure I'd flop though. People only want FPS these days it seems :(
    So West of Loathing did a good job of reminding me why I played Kingdom of Loathing so much way back when.

Stupid Walking was a gift that kept on giving.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited September 4
    Finally found a little time between moving and school to write down my game experiences for the year. Problem is catching up on games means years go by and blend together, so f*** it, if a game from 10 years ago is better than a modern game I played, tough titties.

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (2014)
    This was a remake done exceptionally well and added features like online base capturing and flying around to mysterious islands made this so awesome. Plus post game actually let me battle old trainers and made it infinitely more playable than other post games. I played 3 Pokémon games with my kids this year and this was easily my favorite.

Pokémon Moon (2016)
    They mixed it up and did a fantastic job of reimagine Pokémon in a new way (This was what inspired my Pokémon drawing thread) However it has nowhere near the great post game Alpha Sapphire had and leveling becomes a pain later on. But awesome environment and freshness keeping. However a cutscene every damn area I came to ruined so much of the fun, it was beyond annoying.

Pokémon Y (2013)
    So many issues with this one, terrible post game, but introduction of Fairy type did make the game more level. Story was garbage, sky battles were stupid, introduction of poke bank is a double edged sword. But it did allow me to keep my Pokémon numbered in order to keep up with what I was missing.

Witcher 1 (2007)
    This was the hardest game to get through. Witcher 3 was one of my favorite games 2015, Witcher 1, awesome story, 2nd worst combat system this year (more on Digimon Next Order later) Its basically a quick time event fight system where you wait for the sword icon to flash, holy crap was it frustrating. Great monsters and environments, extremely sexist. You collect romance cards for the women you have sex with, which in truth is like Pokémon cards with herpes, luckily witchers can't catch diseases! Cool bosses, but the challenge shouldn't have to be fighting s*** controls!

Witcher 2 (2011)
    I saw someone complain Witcher 2's quick time events were "consolification of pic games". That is blatantly wrong and stupid, Witcher 2 actually made you able to duck, dodge, block , and do different types of attacks regardless of stance. Witcher 1 made you wait for mouse click prompts. Witcher 2 definey had some annoying cut scene fights (the end fight against the dragon will make you hate QTEs with a fiery passion) but actually being in control during spectacular boss fights was wonderful. The game is considerably shorter, but your choices legitimately change the game so you get different areas depending on who you side with. I'm legitimately kicking myself for not playing this game 6 years sooner, it's still great!

(To be continued, I've actually played way more this year than I thought I did)

Ranks so far
    Witcher 2
    Alpha Sapphire
    Poke Moon
    Poke Y
    Witcher 1
    edited September 4
    In my continuing wall of text, I'll talk about some 2017 games I played this year.

Digimon World New Order (2017)
    Back in Playstation 1 I loved Digimon games. Those do holdup at all, because I've come to understand I was a dumb kid. 2017 released the first Digimon World game in a very long time. My kids had been watching Digimon the series at my suggestion, so we all dived into this... Holy Crap!!! Never have I felt a game wanted to waste my time so hard in my entire life. You spend your time raising these creatures like Pokémon, however Digimon eventually for and you reset the f***ing process. In battle you have next to no control, the creatures fight and you hope they completely botch the battle, and like most low budget games, you'll here the same line repeated during certain tasks. So repetitive tasks like training or fighting became a test of endurance. I had to play the game when my kids weren't around just to micromanage the excessive amount of repetitive training. Just don't bother with this, just don't.

Mass Effect Andromeda
    Believe it or not I absolutely loved the s*** out of this game. It took risks and tried to give you much more of a sense of adventure and exploration. It did have weird animations and bugs at times, but the game legitimately had a ton of heart to its characters. For reference I also replayed all the original trilogy. Andromeda had great, tight combat, a diverse cast, and a pretty awesome enemies. The story isn't nearly as tight and fluid as the original trilogy, but I can honestly say Mass Effect 1 is still awful gameplaywise. Andromeda suffers from trying to do too much, but when it regains focus, it's a joy.

Slime Rancher
    Free on Xbox Live, why not. Holy crap was it adorable and mesmerized my kids. The game is like a zen garden, very stress relieving and calming. Not difficult, but enjoyable with a charm that is difficult to deny. Great control, but a messed up economy. (Treasure cracking can go suck a metal ball) Because you come across these balls the entire game but to be able to unlock them requires so much resource farming it becomes a test of patience that ultimately rarely pays off. However the map is really neat in that exploration rewards secret paths, however you'd think in a game about collecting slimed with different powers would actually pay off in puzzles, but really the slimed serve no purpose other than harvesting them for resources. Despite underwhelming potential lost, it's soothing and great for someone just wishing to chill with games.

Current Rankings
    Witcher 2
    Alpha Sapphire
    *ME Andromeda
    Poke Moon
    *Slime Rancher
    Poke Y
    Witcher 1
    *Digimon NO
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    I finished replaying Dragon Age 2 recently, and that was an interesting time. It came off the back of trying (and failing) to replay Inquisition, because the combat was boring me to death. I played a Male Mage (which is rare for me) and romanced Fenris, and supported the Templars (because gotta love that dramatic irony), and I had enough enjoyment from it. The story was poorly paced, most characters were broadly drawn, the environments were repetitive etc. etc. and Male Hawke's voice got on my nerves (Female Hawke has a better voice acting, but that's typical Bioware) but it was enjoyable enough for the 20 hours it took.
    edited September 4
    Let's move on to mods and expansions for a quick sec. I played some interesting Minecraft mods that basically made it a new game, and expansions that made a game better or worse.

Minecraft Sky Factory
    This is an idea that sounds insane on paper but was easily the most fun I've ever had in Minecraft. You start out with a single tree and a block of dirt and an infinite world and you have to create the world. Every victory of conquering a resource feels incredible, however there's so many paths it can feel immensely overwhelming. But when you create the world and basically invent a resource, it's fulfilling in a miraculous way. However when mistakes are made they're devastating.

Minecraft Pixelmon
    This has actually been shut down by Nintendo which was basically a Minecraft Pokémon mod. Remember in Pokémon where you had to collect resources to make your own poke balls? No, because that would have been tedious and Pokémon got rid of that feature in Gold and silver. However it is impressive just how much there is to this mod. Gyms, poke centers, NPCs that are extremely unhelpful, all the staples. It's the best thing we have of a Pokémon with no random encounters, but so much micromanaging just to take adventures takes a lot of the fun away.

Ark of 2017
    Ark is a game that I have a love hate relationship with. I've played it for years in early access, but now it's a full game with its own set of problems. If you're unfamiliar, it's a game for ass****s. In Player vs Player you're at the mercy of people who play too much and feel like destroying everything you have before you can have a standing chance against them. In Player vs Environment, you experience the joys of overpopulation and people finding creative ways to destroy your s*** with no repercussions. This year they added all sorts of stuff for people to optimize their dickish tendencies. Ranging from power armor when most your enemies only own rocks or creatures that destroy your boat in two hits. Add in the previous problems of unbalanced resource harvesting and combat, it's not a great experience

Current Rankings

Witcher 2
    Alpha Sapphire
    * MC Sky Factory
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    Slime Rancher
    Poke Y
    *Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    *Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    @razor63 from what I remember of Dragon Age 2, the combat was actually strong, but it felt confined because it took place entirely in one city. I missed the open environments of Dragon Age 1, but overall it was never a bad game.

As for Inquisition, I enjoyed it at the time. The complex politics and pretty fascinating story made up for fetch quests and resource gathering. But once I played Witcher 3, all bets were off. I couldn't go back to Inquisition even though I bought the DLC. Dragon Age is weird because it's format is so aged, it's basically an old RPG format trying to remain relevant in a sea of well done RPG hybrids.