What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Witticus said:

@razor63 from what I remember of Dragon Age 2, the combat was actually strong, but it felt confined because it took place entirely in one city. I missed the open environments of Dragon Age 1, but overall it was never a bad game.

As for Inquisition, I enjoyed it at the time. The complex politics and pretty fascinating story made up for fetch quests and resource gathering. But once I played Witcher 3, all bets were off. I couldn't go back to Inquisition even though I bought the DLC. Dragon Age is weird because it's format is so aged, it's basically an old RPG format trying to remain relevant in a sea of well done RPG hybrids.

I summarized it to a friend a while back as "DA:O appealed to old school tactical RPG fans, those that played the likes of Baldur's Gate. DA:II is a flawed and rushed game, but with some good fun, and with a more modern hack-n'-slash combat. DA:I tried to meet both groups in the middle, and pleased nobody."

I did enjoy Inquisition enough to play it 3 times back in the day (i.e. 3 years ago) but couldn't last an hour this time because of how sluggish and underwhelming the game felt comparatively.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I'm stalling time on my holiday, I'm tired of drawing storyboards for a commercial, so let's add in a few more paragraph reviews.

Killing Floor 2 (2017)
    I'm a huge fan of cooperative multiplayer games. Killing Floor 2 is basically Left 4 Dead with a hint of Payday 2, stirred in with a Doom soundtrack and it is bonkers! Some of my favorite Friday night games involved being separated from the main group and fending off herds of zombies with a sword and shield. Laughed, cried, and will gladly go back to this game whenever friends ask.

Borderlands 2 (PS4 2015)
    I played the original BL by myself and it got really boring, during my fridays this year, my friends and I made this a routine too. First off, great writing, second off, this game is Mario party for sociopaths. The loot shows the same for everyone and friendships get tested immediately when a rare item pops up. Never thought I'd say this, but Destiny did it better by not making drops public. Still had a ton of fun clearing off enemies with friends, however unlike every other game in existence, having a friend who play it a lot, ruins the experience. They run around stealing all the good items and kill the sense of fascination and wonder by just trying to hurry up certain parts. Still way better with friends.

Final Fantasy XII the Zodiac Age (2017)
    When I was a high schooler, I played the original, loved it but never finished it because it's a f***ing hard game. However in my redemption, I seem to have gotten really good at RPGs... Or the games easier. Also maybe internet guides help way more than they did in 2005? I still really love this game, the open feel, it's weird quirks, the exploration, it's still fun! I'm also a bastard who hated random encounters in a none Pokémon setting, so hate me. It's a terrific story of lust for power and the moral quandary of how to use these powers. It's battle system is dated, but you can see how this game inspired later RPGs for good.

Witcher 2
    Alpha Sapphire
    *FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    *Killing Floor 2
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    Slime Rancher
    * Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    In the spirit of Mass Effect Andromeda, I played through the original Mass Effect trilogy to see how they compare... I also did these on the hardest difficulty I could, because I'm a self hating badass.

Mass Effect 1
    This game is aged beyond belief. The shooting intentionally misses because it's based upon RPG logic. (Look I get that a swordsman might not know magic but at least let my spread be a little worse and not on the opposite end of the f***ing screen. Secondly, the sci-fi filter deliberately makes the game look more ass, turn it off for a more enjoyable half adding. I played as male Shepard who sounds like he's rushing his line reading to an elevator loading screen. Which is a shame because the rest of the voice cast are trying so hard, man. Weird things I forgot, buying licenses for your on ship salesman to buy better gear? F*** that!!! The Mako missions are still ass because at higher difficulty it's almost impossible to drive without one ground troop f***ing up your tank. Mass Effect 1 is garbage without its story.

Mass Effect 2
    I actually waited for a whole the first time I played because mass Effect 1 bored me so much. I'm so glad I gave it a second chance because it's such a vast improvement, It brings tears to my eyes. The opening of this game is one of the best hands down, but the Insanity difficulty becomes harder due to the fact your teammates are about as helpful as child soldiers who seem to think faking their deaths the entire battle is the best course of action. So certain classes are impossible to beat enemies with... Which is something I found out the hard way. Still missing 2 achievements for this game... and I probably always will. But combat is so improved, so is the dialog control, just better in every way. No mako, except the s*** Hammerhead DLC.

Mass Effect 3
    For all the s*** this game took upon release, I can't understand it. After playing through it with 2 completely different characters, the game completely changes based on choices from the previous 2 games. The whole game is a farewell even if the ending is a bit underwhelming. After looking up ways to save Tali and the geth I was amazed at how in depth the situations from previous games played out. Also DLC characters from the previous games show up giving more value to what you paid. Playing through this game again really opened up my eyes. And the DLC where you get to hang out with old friends again is heartwarming and serene. Combat is still awesome, and the characters are still amazing.

Witcher 2
    *ME3
    *ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Killing Floor 2
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    * ME1
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    Let's add to this mess, here are some more games I either wasted my time on or made it better. Adventure game edition and more.

Day of the Tentacle Remake
    After living Grim Fandango I was extremely happy to try another Tim Schafer masterpiece. This wasn't just updated graphics, the animation brought this game to life in beautiful ways. The puzzles may have pissed me off at times. F*** that stupid maid puzzle!!! You click everything till it actually works and has great dialog that follows. It was a wonderful experience with an insane story that had me thinking about it after playing.

Birthdays the Beginning
    A man can only play so many shooters before he yearns for something more. Wasn't ready to venture through Stardew Valley again, so I tried something off beat. Birthdays is by the creator of Harvest Moon and is unique. You're a god who must find the right way to evolve creatures. The game is like watching a fishbowl hoping to watch the creatures do something interesting. It's interesting for a while but grows increasingly tedious and boring. It didn't do anything to make me hate it, but boredom is pretty... boring, yo.

Secret of Monkey Islsnd 2
    Once again trying to understand insane people from the 90s is a skill. This game is so dated, it has a puzzle involving a Dewey Decimal System. I'm old enough to remember one from kindergarten but damn it's got some dated references. Puzzles are bats*** too, so really this was what I expected. The game is pretty cool and well done with some great dialog as well, but if I had to choose, I'd say Day of the Tentacle holds up much better.

Score Board

Witcher 2
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    *Day of the Tentacle
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Killing Floor 2
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    *Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    *Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    edited September 7
    Playing a new game right now on my day off and it's a piece of crap, so day wasted. It's called Adrift, its one of those newfangled wander around to figure out the story, except this one actually has danger and takes skill. You're an astronaut on a space station in 2037 that was destroyed in a mysterious catastrophe not seen since the development of this game. You have to propel yourself through zero gravity which is cool, but your character moves like an elephant on heroin. It's sluggish, you keep hitting things which hurt you and you feel way smaller than you really are. To top it off later levels have you performing series of tasks which are extremely hard without needed upgrades... Which you get by completing obstacles that you need that damn gear for... You of course collect voices, which seems like a lot of wasted resources for every astronaut in the future to be carrying around 12 computer desktop sized voice recorders. You also have to maintain oxygen, which is its own b**** of a problem. Your thrust wastes oxygen and oxygen comes mainly in finicky tiny capsules that you waste a bunch of oxygen trying to catch. The idea is neat of a survival version of Everybody's Gone to Rapture, but its contrived and frustrating in execution. Just please avoid this, please, please, please!

Witcher 2
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    Day of the Tentacle
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Killing Floor 2
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    *Adrift
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Rock Band
  • Finally getting around to playing the original Life Is Strange. I'm probably around halfway through episode 4 and this game is incredible. I'm glad I got this one.
  • Just finished. That was a serious trip.
  • I've been playing Knack 2. It's not as good as the first one IMO. I'm not a huge fan of QTEs (especially when they basically become the game) and they've added a ton.. not just one or two spots.
    Just not that impressed. I haven't finished it though, I'm about halfway.
    So i'll post an update in the future to see what i really felt about it.
  • Everybody's Golf comes out on August 29th. It's from the franchise formerly known as Hot Shots Golf. Is anyone pre-ordering it?

OK, how about Call of Duty: WWII? I'm less excited about this one than I am about golf (!) but WWII has proven to be a great subject for games and it would surely be way more fun to play this one if some of my friends own it as well. The game comes out November 3rd, but the private beta goes live in 10 days for those that pre-order it.
    Might be the first COD I bought and seem like I'll enjoy in a long time.
    Did buy Black Ops 3 (mostly because ps4 at the time literally had nothing coming out) but didn't enjoy it at all.
    I've still got my hopes up that they eventually try a civil war battlefield or call of duty .
    There actually were two Civil War-themed FPS games released for the Xbox 360 under the History Channel line. I own one of them (A Nation Divided), and it's actually a rather good game by FPS standards, if harder than my unmentionables.

There's also a few inaccuracies that I and other people have noticed, but it's better than nothing.
  • coolkat said:

Everybody's Golf comes out on August 29th. It's from the franchise formerly known as Hot Shots Golf. Is anyone pre-ordering it?

OK, how about Call of Duty: WWII? I'm less excited about this one than I am about golf (!) but WWII has proven to be a great subject for games and it would surely be way more fun to play this one if some of my friends own it as well. The game comes out November 3rd, but the private beta goes live in 10 days for those that pre-order it.
    Might be the first COD I bought and seem like I'll enjoy in a long time.
    Did buy Black Ops 3 (mostly because ps4 at the time literally had nothing coming out) but didn't enjoy it at all.
    I've still got my hopes up that they eventually try a civil war battlefield or call of duty .
    There actually were two Civil War-themed FPS games released for the Xbox 360 under the History Channel line. I own one of them (A Nation Divided), and it's actually a rather good game by FPS standards, if harder than my unmentionables.

There's also a few inaccuracies that I and other people have noticed, but it's better than nothing.
    Yeah I remember those. They never intrigued me to be honest.