What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• I like those answers @LoopyChew .

Been playing Neverwinter again (F2P mmo on PS4), mostly to get trophies but it's enjoyable for free. Does have lots of microtransaction stuff in it though. But as stated it's a pretty fun game.

Also bought the new South Park game and I'm enjoying that one A LOT! I liked Stick Of Truth quite a bit so was scared going into this game thinking maybe the game was just going to be subpar. But they've done an excellent job with it. If you like to laugh, i recommend it. (I don't even watch the show)
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Ahead of the sequel releasing next week, I recently finished re-playing Nights of Azure. If you've heard of it, congratulations, but if you haven't, also congratulations. I like it, quite a bit (more than most), but it has some bizarre moments, due to a weird pacing, and odd tonal shifts. Now, some would debate this, but it's one of the few JRPGs to have a same-sex couple at the forefront. Here's hoping the sequel fixes most of the problems of the first (even if the character design hasn't particularly improved). 8/10.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    My friends are pretty hilarious, I was literally in tears early on in the first JackBox game, Eventually it all devolved into stereotypical "dude night" behavior, where dumb and crude answers rule the day. Good times.

"Monster Seeking Monster" would probably be a lot more fun in a crowd of people that are theoretically interested in dating one another.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Fire Emblem Warriors is fun! Like it better than Hyrule.
    The Battlefield 1 Premium Pass is on sale this week (as is the "Battlefield 1 Revolution" version, essentially a GOTY version, original game + all DLC, for $5 more). Of course I should get it! And yet, I haven't played the game for months and months, because I none of the people I play with online are every playing it, so even though it physically pains me I can't justify buying it.

I blame @Lawdog1521

"Physically pains me" = how my queue of games that I still need to play got so long. I've been much better about walking away from even great deals this year.
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    I want to play!
    Check this out. I tried all the companies in my area to see if a space had opened.., none of them, including AT&T even offer DSL anymore. They've abandoned the old high speed system and their new "fiber" doesn't even reach many areas, like mine.
    The rumor is AT&T is going to ditch landlines altogether. Which down the road, during 5G will be fine. For now, those of just outside the city are boned.
    Well, that shouldn't be a big deal for you, since you are weeks away from moving to a new house that's closer to civilization. Right?
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited October 25
    Well its time to add to the madness that has been playing games with my kids.

A long time ago I played a game that looked I referred to as a "Kate murder simulator" where a character that looked like the splitting image of my wife died at the hands of my incompetence over and over. Tomb Raider, the remake! But this time I played the Definitive Edition on PS4. I play this game so much better I used to, maybe I love my wife more, I dunno. The game looks great, barring some crazy glitches like Laura getting blonde hair in the dark. However the AI is pretty dumb and predictable, so my head shots around chest high walls were top notch. The puzzles in this game were pretty weak too compared to something like Uncharted so it was kind of sad. But the game played well and my mistakes were my own and very rarely cheating bugs. I also liked the gadgets you get like rope arrows and explosive bows which were satisfying to watch an enemy disappear in a puff of smoke. Story was alright and functional, but I was bugged by the fact that there are hundreds of thousands of corpses on this island from thousands of crashed aircraft and boats, how is there not a world coalition save this mass of disappearances!? It was excessive, but it was pretty fun.

Next we have Stardew Valley PS4. This is the perfect game to relieve stress and get lost in the carefree days of farming and gaining friendship and love with the townspeople. I played it last year on PC, so no reason I had to get this, but screw it. On this playthrough I used past expertise to school the f*** out of this game. I also discovered I could date all the eligible bachelorettes simultaneously... My character was a total sleaze! I believe that my character basically nicknamed them days of the week and thats who spent the night. Despite this amazing revelation the end game is kind of lacking. My grandfather realized what an awesome farmer I was then it was just days of living with my spouse who says the same things once a day and my two kids who are woahfully neglected. Its still fun, fishing is a b****, but great for stress relieving and wasting the rest f your days in a small town.

Dangerous Golf, this was an interesting one made by former Burnout Devs. Basically it takes all the fun of crashing cars and condenses it into a game about a psychopath who chose to make the world's most boring sport a little better. The environments get destroyed nicely, but the game runs out of ideas fairly quickly as you feel yourself repeating the exact same scenario over and over again. I actually beat it and might try to get the high awards later, but for the purpose of this I saw everything the game had to offer. It seems like something @Meat-Popsicle might enjoy, just some good mindless fun.

Rankings
    Witcher 2
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    Day of the Tentacle
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    *Stardew Valley
    Killing Floor 2
    ME Andromeda
    Poké Moon
    Monkey Island 2
    *Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    *Dangerous Golf
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    HM: A Wonderful Life
    Adrift
    So... I played (and finished) Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon. It took 12 hours to do a complete runthrough. That is ridiculously quick, for a JRPG. I could have a lot to say on this one, but I don't really want to. I liked it, yes, but they went too far with the ridiculous sexualization this time around. I know it's standard fare for most JRPGs to some extent, and I'd really rather not see it at all, but I guess I now where all the development time went. Combat was better (wasn't really hard to be better than the first in that regard), but it has plenty of problems, and a time limit is not helpful really. 7/10. Will have to replay to get the other ending.
  • topdrawertopdrawer Opening Act
    Mario odyssey. It is full of joy.
    I'm back on my journey of 2017 and below in games. First game is the critical darling Shadow of Mordor. For those that haven't played it, it's the story of a ghost and the world's least environmentally aware enemies. The plot doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense as you start the game getting murdered and cursed by your killer. What the hell is the point of creating your own immortal enemy? And if you're creating an immortal man, why kill off his family and give him a blood vendetta? With the baffling story out of the way, the gameplay is very Assassain's Creedy but with great fantasy mass kill tactics. So gameplaywise it is well done, except it suffers from the same flaw where parkour running will almost always fail you. However actually jumping off a building isn't a death sentence but your main transportation. I absolutely love the detail put into the orc's, the main enemies are inventive and insane, plus interact with you in ways I've never seen in a game. The early boss battles are great and changing the gameplay of some missions based upon your actions makes it engaging. However the game really let me down in the end with a quick time event final boss with a cliffhanger... Then the endgame activities are fairly mundane and practically useless, way to drop the ball when you were already above the damn goal Mordor.

I'm going to rearrange my list later upon reflection, so that will be added in later.
  • Welp I beat South Park Fractured But Whole.
    I will say it was better than the first one but overall i enjoyed the game. There was some frustrating parts that kind of ruined the game at times (facing Mitch Connor for the first time is one).
    I'd give it a 8 or 9/10 though.

I still have:
    Wolfenstein 2
    Final Fantasy 9 *the one with trophies*
    Call of Duty WW2 Campaign
    theHunter Call of the Wild (Single player mode.. i do play this coop with a friend mostly)

To beat. and several titles in my backlog i either quit because i just wasn't enjoying them much or PS+ titles (Metal Gear Solid 5).

So i havemy hands full.

Plus i preordered Sim 4...Hoping that's not bug ridden.

Plus i preordered Sim 4...Hoping that's not bug ridden.

Hopefully it won't be. The PC version has ironed a lot of the bugs out in recent years, I'm just surprised it took this long for a console port, and that it's only the base game, at full price.
    I really enjoyed the first game, but the way the upgrade system worked in the open beta for "Star Wars Battlefront 2" rubbed me the wrong way and convinced me that I shouldn't pre-order the game. The user score for the new game on metacritic is at 0.8 (out of a possible 10) = "overwhelming dislike". Wow. I didn't hate it THAT much.

But EA shut down the ability to buy "gems" (to open more loot boxes) for this game with actual cash until they figure a way around this publicity problem. I didn't much like the old system either [you would discover a floating icon during battles that would let you become the heroes, but I almost never found them because I stubbornly refused to look up the spawn locations online] but I can't imagine that there's no way they can switch back now (even if they wanted to, which they probably don't). Awkward.
    Back again and this time I’ll finally post my Hitman review. I had to play this with the kids not around so this took some time to complete to a satisfactory level. I loved it! Let’s get that out of the way. I loved how the levels were an intricate balance to try and pull off more and more elaborate assassinations. The progression was fantastic as levels became more and more difficult to pull off. My biggest gripe however is the levels at the beginning are so much bigger and awe inspiring than the later levels of the season. You go from massive Chateau, to Italian village, to a massive North African market, to a small hotel to a small farm... Way to ruin the magic. I also gripe because there are tons of guns that have very little diviation from their class, but I appreciate the opportunity to play the levels how we wish. The final nitpick is there’s not a whole lot to do with a level once you score the initial unlocks. I would have liked more unlocking items based upon challanges. Overall this is one of the best games I’ve played this year.

Rankings
    Witcher 2
    *Hitman
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Day of the Tentacle
    Stardew Valley
    ME Andromeda
    *Shadow of Mordor
    Poké Moon
    Killing Floor 2
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Dangerous Golf
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    Adrift
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Witticus said:

Back again and this time I’ll finally post my Hitman review. I had to play this with the kids not around so this took some time to complete to a satisfactory level. I loved it! Let’s get that out of the way. I loved how the levels were an intricate balance to try and pull off more and more elaborate assassinations. The progression was fantastic as levels became more and more difficult to pull off. My biggest gripe however is the levels at the beginning are so much bigger and awe inspiring than the later levels of the season. You go from massive Chateau, to Italian village, to a massive North African market, to a small hotel to a small farm... Way to ruin the magic. I also gripe because there are tons of guns that have very little diviation from their class, but I appreciate the opportunity to play the levels how we wish. The final nitpick is there’s not a whole lot to do with a level once you score the initial unlocks. I would have liked more unlocking items based upon challanges. Overall this is one of the best games I’ve played this year.

Rankings
    Witcher 2
    *Hitman
    ME3
    ME2
    Alpha Sapphire
    FFXII
    MC Sky Factory
    Day of the Tentacle
    Stardew Valley
    ME Andromeda
    *Shadow of Mordor
    Poké Moon
    Killing Floor 2
    Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
    Monkey Island 2
    Slime Rancher
    Borderlands 2
    Poke Y
    Dangerous Golf
    Pixelmon
    Witcher 1
    ME1
    Birthdays the Beginning
    Ark 2017
    Digimon NO
    Adrift

Get a Switch so you can add a few more to your list. ;)
    Eventually, but there has to be 5 games I want to play exclusive to the system that don't involve Mario.
  • I really enjoyed the first game, but the way the upgrade system worked in the open beta for "Star Wars Battlefront 2" rubbed me the wrong way and convinced me that I shouldn't pre-order the game. The user score for the new game on metacritic is at 0.8 (out of a possible 10) = "overwhelming dislike". Wow. I didn't hate it THAT much.

But EA shut down the ability to buy "gems" (to open more loot boxes) for this game with actual cash until they figure a way around this publicity problem. I didn't much like the old system either [you would discover a floating icon during battles that would let you become the heroes, but I almost never found them because I stubbornly refused to look up the spawn locations online] but I can't imagine that there's no way they can switch back now (even if they wanted to, which they probably don't). Awkward.

I didn’t really enjoy the first game because of that issue with the hero system but now I think I prefer it to the method they decided to do this time around.
    I thought the beta was pretty awful. Guess it’s just not for me.
  • With the weather being cold, I've gotten sucked back to playing Skyrim. Will at some point soon start a new file with the effects of cold update.
    Excellent username and topic synergy.
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    I picked up about 4 of the Lego games on PS4 a couple weeks ago during some sale - Jurassic Park, Lego Worlds, Lego Avengers, and Lego Star Wars (TFA). My son has pretty much been playing Lego: Jurassic Park exclusively, and it's a lot of fun! I say it's a good set of family games!

All the games remind me of the Telltale formula (as we're following the story from the movies, and is pretty 'safe' in terms of win/lose) but with a lot more environmental interactions.

Other than that, I've put Fallout behind me, so I have been trying to make progress on all the other games I have in queue - far too many to list.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited November 27
    I usually buy about one new game a year, and sometimes I even find time to play it!

I bought Horizon Zero Dawn when it was half price on PSN on the weekend. Seems quite good so far.

(I got Witcher III in a similar sale last Black Friday Weekend, and I still haven't put as much time into that as I've already put into HZD).
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    Got the original Nier for x360

Basically same things as i wrote about Nier Automata a while back, difference is that everything about the story, characters and music is even better in the original. However the gameplay part is quite a bit worse and more boring.

For those interested: things in nier that automata fans might enjoy are (amongst other things) Emil's origin story, the story about the ruins in.the desert in automata (and the masked people that lived there) and a few things you'll understand what they were referencing in sidequests (such as the ending of Emil's lunar tear collecting sidequest)
    I just rented the original Nier for PS3 [hasn't arrived in the mail yet]!

I just rented the original Nier for PS3 [hasn't arrived in the mail yet]!

neat :D
    unlike automata you do have a requirement to unlock 2/4 endings in this one though. After the 1st playthrough you'll have to collect all the weapons for endings C and D. Both those endings take place after ending B so you can probably just reload from the final save before ending B if you to get those ones.

might save you a bit of time rather than doing the entire game a 3rd time like i did ._.
    Yikes! Thanks for the tip. I doubt I'll be playing the game 4x [that would take all of my gaming time for months and I don't love any game enough to get that obsessed] but I'd be pretty frustrated to find that I missed something that make me play it all over again "needlessly".
    edited November 30
    Well the first playthrough is just the normal game, the 2nd adds quite some of the good stuff. And those are the only times you really have to play the "entire" game. After that you can just reload the last save from play 2 to unlock the other 2.

Although i cant say for sure if it automatically goes to the last 2 endings if you already collect everything on play 2. Since i had to do a 3rd play.
    Worst case scenario you can always watch those last 2 on youtube, since gamewise it only adds 1 battle at the end.

Definitely finish the 2nd playthrough though. It adds so much after you get to about half the game.
    Yeah I used to think of watching endings on YouTube as "cheating". Only if I planned on playing 70 hours on my own with no internet research at all! And that would be silly. Now I'm more likely to think, "how great that I can just watch the ending rather than grinding along for weeks out of some sense of obligation". The first (and maybe even the 2nd) play-though, those won't be done out of "obligation", I'm looking forward to it. Those 2 games, and many more of the top rated games that I have yet to touch, I expect to be able to try over the long and cold and dark winter. It's time to carve out a chunk of my week explicitly for this: video game time won't appear magically out of nowhere! Only when I'm avoiding something important. Ha.

I also have a bunch of Steam games that I suddenly am able to play [new laptop].