What were the last video games you played?

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited April 20
    Burnout: Paradise (PS3)
    I earned my first ever PlayStation trophy on this game back in 2008. I just bought the deluxe DLC pack.
    Is the game still great? Sort of! I have such fond memories of it, probably there's a big nostalgia effect going on. There are plenty of places that are "out of bounds", land there and the game just decides, "uh, you wrecked your car" and you restart. But that's how it was, back then. And the camera isn't great. I can't see what the hell is going on once I start moving really fast, the angle and draw distance are all wrong and everything becomes a blur and I'm suddenly hitting a wall [but maybe my eyes are going] OR I'm bouncing off of a truck and making it veer into a barrier, while my momentum is altered only slightly. Very impressive car physics for 2008. So impressive that I'd say they were still "functional" today. Now I'm really curious about the remastered version. Surely it looks nicer, but does it still play like an older game?

I got totally stuck back in 2010 and couldn't advance any further. I couldn't figure out how to crash through any of the remaining billboards. I couldn't find any more gates to crash through. I couldn't catch + wreck any of the special cars that would spontaneously appear and taunt me. I couldn't win any more events to advance to the next license. I was STUCK. So I haven't played in many years.

Well, thanks to this DLC pack I now have all 75 cars unlocked automatically. I'm also a much better gamer. I've been winning just about every race I enter, and for at least a few billboards I was able to figure out how to approach them. "Oh, I should go into the parking garage across the street and go to the top level". Was I really unable to figure that out, just 7 years ago? Probably not! Back then, as I remember it, I would just go as fast as possible all the time and as soon as I took damage I'd start Showtime (crash mode). Not the best way to find secret locations. Even really obvious shortcuts would whip past my cone of vision before I could hope to react to them.

Earn your 'D' Class License: Dec 6, 2008 4:53:43 PM
    Earn your 'C' Class License: Oct 11, 2010 2:24:32 AM
    Earn your 'B' Class License: Apr 19, 2018 10:48:09 PM

Smash 3 Burnout Billboards: Dec 6, 2008 4:33:34 PM
    Smash 30 Burnout Billboards: Oct 11, 2010 1:05:15 AM
    Smash 60 Burnout Billboards: Apr 19, 2018 11:05:39 PM

I hope party mode online still works. There are many trophies left for me to earn. And the DLC pack includes a whole new mode I've never heard of, Cops & Robbers. JOIN ME.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I had to quit Burnout on PS3, because the DLC made it so my game would never load. I heard Paradise City play for about an hour and a half straight and was never able to get the game to load again even after restarting. PS4 will actually let me play the game.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited April 20

Very impressive car physics for 2008. So impressive that I'd say they were still "functional" today. Now I'm really curious about the remastered version. Surely it looks nicer, but does it still play like an older game?

Yes, it does. Really, it's the same game, but prettier. They haven't added any of the elements you'd expect in a this-decade game like fast travel, event restart, or GPS path suggestion. When you're down to the last few hard events that take you halfway across town, and when you make a single mistake, lose the event, and have to manually drive alll the way back to the start point.

It's usually slightly quicker to make sure your most recent save was at a junkyard near the event start point, so you can just load from save rather than drive back.

Game doesn't have Custom Soundtrack built-in anymore, but you can use the PS4's overshell USB-drive music player (or Spotify if you have it) to pipe music into the game. I know my next session will be played to the new A Perfect Circle album.
    Oh,so I should be using Custom Soundtrack in the PS3 version: noted
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior

Very impressive car physics for 2008. So impressive that I'd say they were still "functional" today. Now I'm really curious about the remastered version. Surely it looks nicer, but does it still play like an older game?

Yes, it does. Really, it's the same game, but prettier. They haven't added any of the elements you'd expect in a this-decade game like fast travel, event restart, or GPS path suggestion. When you're down to the last few hard events that take you halfway across town, and when you make a single mistake, lose the event, and have to manually drive alll the way back to the start point.

It's usually slightly quicker to make sure your most recent save was at a junkyard near the event start point, so you can just load from save rather than drive back.

Game doesn't have Custom Soundtrack built-in anymore, but you can use the PS4's overshell USB-drive music player (or Spotify if you have it) to pipe music into the game. I know my next session will be played to the new A Perfect Circle album.
    Event restart is there. It's been in the original since 2009 and persisted into the PS4 version.

Press right on the D-Pad. During an event it shows "Restart Current Event", out of one it says "Restart Last Event"
    Right on d-pad? Doesn’t that just bring up online stuff? I thought all that d-pad stuff was for online play.

Right on d-pad? Doesn’t that just bring up online stuff? I thought all that d-pad stuff was for online play.

Most of it is, but that's where the offline restart is
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 27
    So against everyone's warning, I went and played Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories. I had actually gotten the card-based combat down, and was enjoying the weirdness of the plot. But then one level, I had to find enough Green cards to equate to 40 to progress to the next room. So I figure "Sure, I can just grind for these cards." Only after grinding for a bit, I kept getting Red and Blue cards, but not Green. Then, I noticed something... enemies were not spawning. So I looked it up, and turns out I had killed them all, and the only way to get them back would be to restart the level. I was trying to unlock the door to the boss...

So I think I'll just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and skip this one. I was willing to put up with the gameplay, but I am not willing to put up with having to restart a lengthy level just because I literally ran out of enemies before I could get vital resources.

So against everyone's warning, I went and played Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded. I had actually gotten the card-based combat down, and was enjoying the weirdness of the plot. But then one level, I had to find enough Green cards to equate to 40 to progress to the next room. So I figure "Sure, I can just grind for these cards." Only after grinding for a bit, I kept getting Red and Blue cards, but not Green. Then, I noticed something... enemies were not spawning. So I looked it up, and turns out I had killed them all, and the only way to get them back would be to restart the level. I was trying to unlock the door to the boss...

So I think I'll just watch the cutscenes on YouTube and skip this one. I was willing to put up with the gameplay, but I am not willing to put up with having to restart a lengthy level just because I literally ran out of enemies before I could get vital resources.

Re: Chain of Memories?

I played through the original GBA Chain of Memories and enjoyed it, but it's an uneven entry with big difficulty spikes.

I never bothered with Coded or Re: Coded
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

So against everyone's warning, I went and played Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded. I had actually gotten the card-based combat down, and was enjoying the weirdness of the plot. But then one level, I had to find enough Green cards to equate to 40 to progress to the next room. So I figure "Sure, I can just grind for these cards." Only after grinding for a bit, I kept getting Red and Blue cards, but not Green. Then, I noticed something... enemies were not spawning. So I looked it up, and turns out I had killed them all, and the only way to get them back would be to restart the level. I was trying to unlock the door to the boss...

Re: Chain of Memories?

I played through the original GBA Chain of Memories and enjoyed it, but it's an uneven entry with big difficulty spikes.

I never bothered with Coded or Re: Coded
    Yes I meant Chain of Memories, sorry about that. It doesn't help that the two names are very similar :p
    Kingdom Hearts needs to stop taking itself so seriously if its going to keep naming its games in the same vain as Naked Gun.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    they released the official trailer for shadow of the tomb raider today, and it looks a little strange, but after reading about the plot of the story. it makes a lot of sense. this is going to be the darkest tomb raider out of the three and Lara is going to go through a huge learning experience with her ego.
    edited April 28
    There's a spectacular deal on PSN games from Humble Bundle right now.

HUMBLE CAPCOM X SEGA PLAYSTATION BUNDLE

It includes a bonus for "World of Warships!". Am I likely to use that? No. But I went to add it to my account anyway. Do I already have an account? For "World of Tanks"? Maybe. I tried to login, using all of my email addresses ever, but they have no record of me. So I went to create a new account, and my username of choice is already taken. SURELY that is actually me. But I can't find any way to claim it, not if it's not linked to any of those email addresses I tried.
    Platinumed Burnout on PS4! Well on my way to 102% completion.
    Already have all the collectibles and time road rules, just need to finish up the showtime ones and the 97 wins for the final license.
  • Nice job @TubaDude49 !

I've been playing God Of War (. tried to finish Ascension before starting the new GOW but it's so hard to get into.. it's kinda a meh game tbh/ I'll eventually finish Ascension though...) and so far I love this new route they are going! I'm not very far in it though so i'm excited to see the rest!
    edited April 30

Already have all the collectibles and time road rules, just need to finish up the showtime ones and the 97 wins for the final license.

Damn that's commitment. My interest in the game dropped off a cliff when I got the burnout elite license. I may go back and do enough showtimes for the related trophies and all the big surf stuff and bikes stuff one day, maybe even chase all the time road rules. But hunting all those billboards and jumps and crashable gates... isn't in me these days. Not to mention I don't have Plus so I can't readily do the online stuff, so I'd actually have to lay out money I don't intend to if I were to try to get the platinum trophy.

Damn that's commitment. My interest in the game dropped off a cliff when I got the burnout elite license. I may go back and do enough showtimes for the related trophies and all the big surf stuff and bikes stuff one day, maybe even chase all the time road rules. But hunting all those billboards and jumps and crashable gates... isn't in me these days. Not to mention I don't have Plus so I can't readily do the online stuff, so I'd actually have to lay out money I don't intend to if I were to try to get the platinum trophy.
    I like exploring more than racing. I had all jumps/gates/smashes on mainland and island before I had a class B license.

100% island completion, haven't touched bikes yet. Probably just gonna go for 101% (two freeburn sets) since I can't rely on online players to coordinate themselves.

Bikes don't count for either, but I don't want to do them. I'm at 76% now, I'll probably set it down and finish the events for my Criterion Elite license in a little while
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    amazon just restocked the SNES classic, and I finally got one. now to wait for its arrival.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    meanwhile i just dug up my old SNES
    My SNES doesn't work any more but I hear you can still call the Nintendo Help Line ...
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    I've started playing UnderRail, an old school indie isometric turn based post-apocalyptic RPG.

I'd probably recommend the Shadowrun games by Harebrained studios before this one, but it's scratching some of the same itches.
  • I’ve been playing way too much Uncharted 4 Survival Mode lately, I gotta start working on some of those sweet single-player trophies...
    edited May 18
    It's another Playstation Flash Sale, wooooo

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/05/18/playstation-store-flash-sale-live/

Let's play some games this weekend! Pick 1 or 2 or 17 of them that we can all join in on at once
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    I used to buy Flash Sale games like every time they’d post one, lately about the last 10 or so I’ve not been interested in anything or I already own it lol.
    I did buy Zombie Army Trilogy for 15 a few weeks back on a sale (not a flash sale). It’s kinda bad imo .
    Yeah, I've already purchased MANY but if there was a call to take on a game I don't already own ...
    Any games you want to add to the “We’ll probably never play this” list? @Meat-Popsicle
  • You need Dead Space, man.
    I hate jump scares! I used to buy games with jump scares, on purpose, so I could overcome my fears. Nope, it's not "fear". It just annoys me. I'm good skipping forever all movies and all video games that rely on jump scares.

(But I do already own Dead Space. And Dead Space 2? And F.E.A.R., and several Resident Evil games, and ...)
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner

I hate jump scares! I used to buy games with jump scares, on purpose, so I could overcome my fears. Nope, it's not "fear". It just annoys me. I'm good skipping forever all movies and all video games that rely on jump scares.

(But I do already own Dead Space. And Dead Space 2? And F.E.A.R., and several Resident Evil games, and ...)

If you have someone to play it with.. Dead Space 3 is fantastic with a friend and sort of gets rid of the "Jump Scares".
    edited May 24
    OK, I never bought Overwatch, and the GOTY version is on sale for $19.99. Surely the Legendary version isn't worth paying 2x as much to get?

EDIT: OK the GOTY version isn't available to ship until the 27th ... yeah, it's a physical copy ... and the "anniversary event" will be over by then. I'll miss out on all of the exclusive skins from this!

Yeah I should just skip this game deal completely and go back to working on my backlog / playing games that I KNOW that I love.

EDIT2: fine, I bought it. The skins don't matter. The game itself is fun + this is the cheapest I have ever seen it. I would not be stunned if my "available May 27th" message turned into a "sorry, sold out, here's a refund" message in the next few days. We'll see!