Have someone create song for RockBand

ylf2vulylf2vul Unsigned
edited December 2010 in The Rock Band Network
If this is the wrong forum/group, then I apologize!

I want to propose to my girlfriend using the Rock Band game. I'd like to see if a musician(s) could create a song I could then upload into RockBand and play. Where the lyrics would pop the question. Could anyone offer assistance/advice? Thanks!

Comments

• HMXLachesisHMXLachesis Harmonix Alum
    edited December 2010
    This is actually feasible - you could hire a group of musicians to write and play a song, and then you could hire an authoring company to convert it into a Rock Band Network song. I have no advice about finding musicians, but you can find a list of authoring groups at http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832.

Do note, however, that *anybody* could buy this song. Once a song is approved by the RBN Creators' community, it's available to the entire market. I don't know if you would consider that a good thing or a bad thing (you might commision a wonderful romantic hit!)
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Check your messages, you mad romantic fool you.
  • NoThru22NoThru22 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    In what fashion would the song have to be playable to present it to your girlfriend? You could join XNA for $99, learn the basics of charting, and play a vocals/guitar track in audition mode if that would be your aim. That way, you'd only have to pay a musician to make the song (which could still be costly.)
  • DavyinaTogaDavyinaToga Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    HMXLachesis;4215228 said:
    This is actually feasible - you could hire a group of musicians to write and play a song, and then you could hire an authoring company to convert it into a Rock Band Network song. I have no advice about finding musicians, but you can find a list of authoring groups at http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156832.

Do note, however, that *anybody* could buy this song. Once a song is approved by the RBN Creators' community, it's available to the entire market. I don't know if you would consider that a good thing or a bad thing (you might commision a wonderful romantic hit!)

Unless he buys the song and subsequently pulls it from the Store as soon as it's available. Then he could have his own exclusive Rock Band song for this. Very costly, tricky to time, and a lot of work to pull off, but hey, it could be cool if he pulls it off. And if a few other people get their hands on the song before it's removed, no biggie.
    edited December 2010
    Though it seem like having the song out there, with one's declarations of eternal ardor branded on it, seems like the point here. Why yank it down?
  • ylf2vulylf2vul Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I'm not worried about others having access to the song or having to pull the song. To me Music is meant to be shared, and if others enjoy hearing and playing it, then I'm happy for them!
    edited December 2010
    Do you mean what instruments/vocal part would it have to be playable on? If so, then I guess I would want it to be playable from all the parts (guitar, bass, drums, vocals). If that's not what you meant - then you'll have to school me a little more. I'm really not sure what charting is, so I'd have to do some real research. What is XNA?
    edited December 2010
    XNA is the system that Microsoft made so that developers can create their own Independent games. Harmonix took that idea and ran with it to allow people to put their own music into Rock Band. They released a series of programs that you can learn to use that will allow you to create your own charts for the game. To put a song on the RBN, you have to be a member of the XNA for $99 a year.

If you employ another company to do it, it may cost you $500 or $1,000 just to convert the music into a Rock Band chart. If you learn how to do it yourself, it probably won't be as good, but you'll save a lot of money. I am asking if you want everything charted because if you only play guitar and she only sings, why chart everything? If you want to do it with a whole band playing to surprise her, then you'll have to have every part charted.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2010
    After fielding quite a few offers to do my tunes, $500 to $1000 seems like even more of a ridiculous price. If you're going to have someone else author it for you (I suggest you do), make sure to do your research on pricing. There are many studios that carry no upfront costs whatsoever.
    edited December 2010
    I said may cost you because I only recall seeing the "special" that one company had posted. Also, I doubt anyone would do this for no upfront costs. Studios that do that do that because they expect the track to sell and make a profit.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2010
    I don't want to disclose exact numbers, but I paid no upfront costs and overall I'd be surprised (pretty excited actually, considering how much I'd have made in the process) if my total costs were ever $100.
    edited December 2010
    Sorry but you guys are both still just a little above my head. So to break this back down I would pay a muscian (or group) to write the song. They would provide the sheet music and the song in audio format. Then I would find another company to chart the song for Rock Band? Is that how this would work?

You both mention doing my research carefully, but I'm not even sure where to begin the search.
    edited December 2010
    jawillroy - check your messages
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited December 2010
    kingtonyx;4219146 said:
    After fielding quite a few offers to do my tunes, $500 to $1000 seems like even more of a ridiculous price. If you're going to have someone else author it for you (I suggest you do), make sure to do your research on pricing. There are many studios that carry no upfront costs whatsoever.

Studios such as That Authoring Group ;)

No upfront costs, and no money out of an artist's pocket...ever.

All our pay is back end percentages.

Which strives us to make each song the best it can be.

Because if it doesn't sell, then we don't get paid ;)
    edited December 2010
    ylf2vul;4225773 said:
    Sorry but you guys are both still just a little above my head. So to break this back down I would pay a muscian (or group) to write the song. They would provide the sheet music and the song in audio format. Then I would find another company to chart the song for Rock Band? Is that how this would work?

You both mention doing my research carefully, but I'm not even sure where to begin the search.
    Yes, that is how it would work. Some people may be able to do both, like I suspect jawillroy may have offered (and I'd take him up on it if he did.)
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4225808 said:
    Studios such as That Authoring Group ;)

No upfront costs, and no money out of an artist's pocket...ever.

All our pay is back end percentages.

Which strives us to make each song the best it can be.

Because if it doesn't sell, then we don't get paid ;)
    So would you guys take a vanity song like this that probably wouldn't sell a lot of copies?
    edited December 2010
    Just an update to everyone. With the very helpful information I was able to compose my song, import it in, join XNA and play the song in Audition mode.

BTW - she was very touched....and cried....but she definately said YES!!

Thanks again to all who helped provide the informaiton.
  • GigakoopsGigakoops Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    ylf2vul;4240577 said:
    Just an update to everyone. With the very helpful information I was able to compose my song, import it in, join XNA and play the song in Audition mode.

Congraulations!
  • Bront20Bront20 The Writing's on the Wall
    edited December 2010
    ylf2vul;4240577 said:

But did you FC the song?
    edited December 2010
    Congratulations!

And that's fast work on the song, by the by. Well done!
  • nilesongnilesong Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Congratulations! I think that was a brilliant way to propose. Awesome!
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I'm just reading this thread for the first time. It's incredible that you were able to get this together so fast. Well done, and congratulations!