To HMX: Why "Weird Al" deserves to be in RB

PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
edited September 2013 in Your Ultimate Setlist
UPDATE 2: Ok so originally "Weird Al" Yankovic was not one of the available artists to add to your wishlist on the Rock Band Facebook App. I commented about this on the RockBandAide article and HMXHenry luckily saw it! He said he supports "Weird Al" 100% and would get him added to the artist roster for the app. Well he came through and now you can add him to your wishlist of artists you want to see in RB. So if you have a Facebook account and want to play his music in RB, add "Weird Al" Yankovic to your wishlist and give him as many points as possible. This could still happen people! Don't let the dream die!

UPDATE: Ok so after hearing the HMX Q&A from PAX, one thing kept sticking in my head. Near the beginning they reference drinking from the firehose in UHF. You slipped up HMX. Now we KNOW you know and like "Weird Al", so now I'm left with one question. Where the **** is our "Weird Al" DLC?! Of course I'm overexaggerating but in all seriousness though I really hope it's coming SOMEWHERE down the line cause it doesn't make sense that openly admitted fans would not try to get his music in your game.

With the advent of the newest edition of Rock Band, RB3, comes new possibilities for artists that haven't been available to the RB platform yet. And with this new opportunity I have been inclined to (re)start the campaign to get "Weird Al" Yankovic's songs on RB. My reasons (besides the fact that he's my favorite artist of all time) are as follows:

1. He is interested in having his music in RB.
In a Ustream Q&A back in 2008, he was asked would he ever have his music in GH/RB and he said he would be glad to but has not been contacted by either Neversoft or HMX about his music. Also, in 2009, HMXHenry said regarding contacting him on getting his music on RB:

"I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, or create the false impression that future DLC is in any way, shape or form up to me...

...but this will be the first email I send out when I get into the office tomorrow. "

Since then we have not heard a word, not even rumors, of his music being in RB. I'm not saying his music isn't as hard to license as other musicians, but I'm certain he's no Muse.

2. His music is a great fit for RB3.
Now that RB3 has included the new features of harmonies and keys, "Weird Al's" music is a perfect fit for RB. If you've heard a lot of his music, he uses harmonies just as much as Queen or The Beatles. For examples, listen to Ringtone, Melanie, or Trigger Happy. Also, he's of course famous for his accordion skills and polka medleys. These would transfer to the keyboard wonderfully. I mean if 25 or 6 to 4 charts horns to keys, why not accordion? Some good examples of this would be Another One Rides the Bus, Lasagna, My Bologna, I Love Rocky Road, and any of his polka medleys. Also some of his songs have great guitar and keyboard parts such as Genius in France, Albuquerque, I Remember Larry, Eat it, Midnight Star, Traffic Jam, CNR, and UHF. And just try to imagine Hardware Store on vocals. Auto-devil tier.

3. He has a huge library of songs to choose from.
"Weird Al" has written over 150 songs spanning 13 albums, with a 14th on the way. Not even Green Day, Muse, or Metallica has that kind of catalog. And even if you take away the parodies, that still leaves over 75 songs to choose from, which is more songs than you can play on The Beatles: Rock Band including DLC. Also, the licensing of parodies shouldn't be a problem because "Weird Al" owns all the rights to his songs including his parodies.

4. There are already some novelty/comedy songs in RB.
Come on HMX, you've got Tenacious D, Jonathan Coulton, Paul & Storm, MC Frontalot, Parry Gripp, Spongebob, South Park, and Stephen Colbert already in RB. Surely you've got the will to have one of THE most popular comedic artists in your game. It only makes sense.

So please HMX, try and get "Weird Al" in RB. And here is a list of MUST HAVES if you decide to do so.
Albuquerque
Genius in France
Hardware Store
Eat It
Craigslist
Another One Rides The Bus
My Bologna
Smells Like Nirvana
The Night Santa Went Crazy
White and Nerdy

Comments

• D1sturb3dD1sturb3d Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Dont Download This Song, Computer Virus (i think thats what its called) and Hardware Store would be awesome
  • PlatStratPlatStrat Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Bump cause I will not let this thread die that easily
  • Rock a SkullRock a Skull Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I fully support this and would love to play Weird Al in Rock Band.
  • MisterChucklesMisterChuckles Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Totally joining that group. If you're interested, you can check out my page I made a few days ago to get They Might Be Giants in Rock Band, specifically the song "Doctor Worm."
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Get-Doctor-Worm-in-Rock-Band-3/173460156009535
  • DanManRockerDanManRocker Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Hmmm... songs that could work...

Achy Breaky Song
    Addicted To Spuds
    Albequerque
    Alimony
    The Alternative Polka
    Angry White Boy Polka
    Another One Rides The Bus
    Attack Of The Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars
    Bedrock Anthem
    Bob
    Bohemian Polka
    Buckingham Blues
    Buy Me a Condo
    Cable TV
    Canadian Idiot
    Cavity Search
    A Complicated Song
    Craigslist
    Dare To Be Stupid
    Don't Wear Those Shoes
    Eat It
    eBay
    Fat
    Genius in France
    Girls Just Want To Have Lunch
    Grapefruit Diet
    Hardware Store
    Hooked On Polkas
    The Hot Rocks Polka
    I Love Rocky Road
    I Want a New Duck
    I'll Sue Ya
    Jerry Springer
    Lasagna
    Like A Surgeon
    Livin In The Fridge
    Livin With A Hernia
    Lump
    Midnight Star
    Money for Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies
    Mr Pompeil
    Night Santa Went Crazy
    Ode To A Superhero
    One More Minute
    Pancreas
    Polka Power
    Polkas on 45
    pretty fly for a rabbi
    ringtone
    The Saga Begins
    She Never Told Me She Was a Mime
    Skipper Dan
    Smells Like Nirvana
    Stuck in a Closet with Vanna White
    That Boy Could Dance
    Theme From Rocky XIII
    (This Song's Just) Six Words Long
    Trigger Happy
    UHF
    Velvet Elvis
    Virus Alert
    Yoda
    Young Dumb And Ugly
  • strumndrumstrumndrum Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I absolutely agree that Weird Al is overdue for some DLC. I'll link some of the songs which haven't been mentioned which I think would be a blast to play. I can't believe you missed some of these DanMan!

Everything You Know Is Wrong - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGC09B810Yk - This might be a longshot for inclusion because all the parts except for keyboards would be pretty simple. Listen to the keyboard/accordion solo at 2:07 :O

One Of Those Days - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZBlqdJkMwQ - Not too hard on keys, a well balanced track.

This Is The Life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18vzLo3sKJg - Another well balanced song. Guitar solo at around 1:05.

When I Was Your Age - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kB78hM_lkI - Not too hard on keys, a well balanced track.

Party At The Leper Colony - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFbbthrQYw - Am I the only one who wants more saxophone on RB3?

Wanna B UR Lovr - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmB2NGpoOIU - Think of playing the part starting at 4:59 with 3 singers, WOW!

Why Does This Always Happen To Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ9sVJ8ryJ0 - Very sparse on guitar (maybe no part?), but the beautiful harmonies and keyboard parts make up for it.

Your Horoscope For Today - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26IOww0gO1w - Does the monologue starting at 2:13 make this devil tier on vocals? Funny song , and I bet it would be fun to play!

Close But No Cigar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtMU8nvZzOs - I believe this is a style parody of cake (ala short skirt long jacket). It's got everything!

I second the inclusion of UHF, Pancreas, Virus Alert, Dare To Be Stupid, Don't Wear Those Shoes. Also Albequerque and Genius In France would be EPIC!
  • DanManRockerDanManRocker Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I can't believe I missed Horrorscope. :(
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Lasagna would be the Surfing With The Alien of keyboard

I 110% agree with Weird Al on RB.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    I would LOVE Weird Al. That would make my day. :D
  • cgbnabcgbnab Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    -White & Nerdy
    -Amish Paradise
    -Albequerque
    -Hardware Store
    -Bohemian Polka
    -Do I Creep You Out
    -Trapped In The Drive-Thru

IMAGINE THE LULZ
  • DrSmasherDrSmasher Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    You guys are all forgetting All About the Pentiums, as far as I can tell. That would be excellent.
  • bretthookerbretthooker Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Sign me up. I also reckon this would clinch the deal for my best mate to finally buy RB as well. We've been WA fans since the early 80's... I've been brainwashing my boys on WA as well, to a bit of RB would help on that front too... :)
    edited December 2010
    Also Traffic Jam is VERY overlooked. Awesome keys and harmonies, not to mention the killer guitar solo.
  • GigakoopsGigakoops Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    cgbnab;4226706 said:
    -White & Nerdy
    -Amish Paradise
    -Albequerque
    -Hardware Store
    -Bohemian Polka
    -Do I Creep You Out
    -Trapped In The Drive-Thru

IMAGINE THE LULZ

I imagine it. And it is good.
    edited December 2010
    Albuquerque won community pick for a "Weird Al" song! People care HMX!
    edited December 2010
    Bump for adding links to my song choices
    edited January 2011
    Bipiddy BUMPiddy boo
  • thestickmasterthestickmaster Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    Albuquerque would be amazing.
  • xizorkatarnxizorkatarn Rising Star
    edited March 2011
    I say Amen to this!
    edited March 2011
    Bump for update to OP.
  • oreoham97oreoham97 Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    This haz to happen HMX! Pleeeeeeeeaasssssseeeeeeeeeee??
    edited March 2011
    Since next week's DLC is close enough to April Fool's Day, I hope we see SOMETHING of Weird Al's.
  • darthstrakadarthstraka Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    D1sturb3d;4217517 said:
    Dont Download This Song, Computer Virus (i think thats what its called) and Hardware Store would be awesome

It's Virus Alert. I LOVE that song.
    On a side note, I got sick of all my friends and relatives forwarding those "Do not open email with as a title, so I copy/pasted the lyrics to that song and forwarded that to them.

Hardware Store would be fun to try, but it would be an instant RED-DEVIL for all vocals, even the harmonies.
    I'd gladly pay 1600 M$ for a 12-song pack of Al.
    As long as it doesn't include "I Wanna B UR Lover"
    edited March 2011
    darthstraka;4345902 said:
    It's Virus Alert. I LOVE that song.
    On a side note, I got sick of all my friends and relatives forwarding those "Do not open email with as a title, so I copy/pasted the lyrics to that song and forwarded that to them.

Hardware Store would be fun to try, but it would be an instant RED-DEVIL for all vocals, even the harmonies.
    I'd gladly pay 1600 M$ for a 12-song pack of Al.
    As long as it doesn't include "I Wanna B UR Lover"
    Lol at the email. Yeah Hardware Store would probably the hardest if not one of the hardest vocal songs next to They're Red Hot. And what you got against I wanna B Ur Lovr? That would be great to sing, don't believe me? Watch his live performances of that song where he interacts with the audience. It's hilarious.
  • JerkinatorJerkinator Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    Bump

PLUS nobody has mentioned "Frank's 2000" TV" which really makes me a sad panda!
  • zachgtzachgt Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    No love for "Germs"?
  • darthstrakadarthstraka Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    PlatStrat;4346105 said:
    Lol at the email. Yeah Hardware Store would probably the hardest if not one of the hardest vocal songs next to They're Red Hot. And what you got against I wanna B Ur Lovr? That would be great to sing, don't believe me? Watch his live performances of that song where he interacts with the audience. It's hilarious.
    I've seen it in concert. It's cool there, but still not amongst my favorites of his.

I'm trying to find his kids book, When I Grow Up, for my son who's just recently discovered the awesomeness that is AL. Planning on taking him to see him when his tour next rolls through Cleveland.
  • tinman22897tinman22897 Opening Act
    edited May 2011
    Okay, who here thinks Hardware Store would be the hardest vocals song ever if it was added.
  • GreatJedi7GreatJedi7 Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    tinman22897;4392827 said:
    Okay, who here thinks Hardware Store would be the hardest vocals song ever if it was added.

*Raises hand*
    edited June 2011
    Ok I'm listening to Alpocalypse and all I keep hearing is how these songs are practically made for RB.

Perform This Way - Yes we just got Born This Way but come this is Al's version!

CNR - White Stripes style parody, great guitar, perfect for Pro Guitar

TMZ - Hilarious song, Great guitar, good harmonies.

Skipper Dan - Great song, great harmonies.

Polka Face - It's a Polka Medley. Nuff said.

Craigslist - The Doors style parody, even has The Doors' keyboardist doing the
    keyboard for that song, sweet guitar too.

Party in the CIA - How funny would it be to get this after Party in the USA got pulled?

Ringtone - Queen style parody meaning keys, guitar, and harmonies are
    fantastic

Another Tattoo - My least favorite song on the album but that mainly stems from me not liking the original

If That Isn't Love - Keys are great and harmonies as well, not to mention an awesome song

Whatever You Like - Maybe not so much suited for RB but still a good song.

Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me - My favorite song off the album and it has awesome keys and singing harmonies to that would be AMAZING.