Deep Elm Records songs on RBN!!

asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
Hi, I'm asiansteev and I've been working with Deep Elm Records since the beginning of RBN, and I thought I'd start a thread to promote and discuss the tracks coming out of that label. There are currently three tracks for sale and another has been approved and should be for sale later this week. Each of these songs is currently $1.
also, here's a Deep Elm Setlist!!
It should be noted that these comments are my own and I do not speak for Deep Elm Records.

500 Miles to Memphis - All My Friends Are Crazy (4/6/10)
This was the first track I authored for Deep Elm. Cow-punk at it's absolute finest. The highlight of this track is definitely playing the fiddle solos on guitar. I'm still very proud of the authoring for those parts.
Two mistakes that haunt me to this day... The guitar difficulty is rated as a 2 when it should definitely be a 4 or 5. Also, the computer at the studio that stored the masters for this track crashed and all the masters were lost so the band went to back to the studio and rerecorded this song just for us! The fiddle parts in the rerecord are actually more complex... my regret? When naming the song, I did not include a "(2009 Rock Band Re-record)" in the title. :(
In any case, it's still an amazing track and you can hear the song at the link below.
Sunshine in a Shotglass at DeepElm.com
Chart Video

Desoto Jones - Giant Magnets (9/23/10)
Awesome anthemic emotional rock. Love this album. Pure rock energy. Recommended if you like Jimmy Eat World or dare I say... Foo Fighters?
Aurora at DeepElm.com
Chart Video

Public Radio - Forgot Love (10/7/10)
Emotronic? It's emo (not eye-liner emo) with the addition of synth and drum machine (also a drum kit). This band is infectious-catchy. This particular song is a riot because the drum machine and the drum kit take turns, but instead of giving the player a break during the drum machine sections, I authored those parts. This song is definitely a leg-warmer on drums.
Sweetchild at DeepElm.com
Chart Video

She Bears - What Morning Brings (12/15/10)
Awesome indie-rock track, reminiscent of early Weezer. The track is pretty synth-heavy and as I was authoring it, details about RBN2 started trickling out. I could have potentially held it back to add a keys track, but I'd already authored the guitar part that goes jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1Zsy9LdBM#t=0m40s), and removing the keyboard wah-wahs made the guitar part just jud-juds... and it just wasn't as fun. I have plenty of keys-heavy songs in the pipeline, so I went with having an extra-fun guitar part this time around. And it is. Very fun guitar part.
I Found Myself Asleep at DeepElm.com
Chart Video

Ride Your Bike - Coat Rack (1/19/11)
Really really catchy heart-on-sleeve emo/indie-pop. This song is super catchy. You'll be singing it after you turn your Xbox off. Be careful though, this vocal track spans like 30 octaves. Also, I want to say "catchy" one more time. Catchy.
Since the beginning of RBN my venues and band animations have gotten incrementally better. With this track, I feel like I've graduated to a new level. When those sing-alongs happen and the bassist leans in to share the mic with the singer, or the guitarist steps on the amp and sings at the camera (see the youtube video at the 3:20 mark). oh man that gives me chills.
The Connection at DeepElm.com
Chart Video

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Awesome to see all this info in one place! I discovered a ton of bands through the first Deep Elm Emo Diaries comps in high school and it's great to see them involved with RBN. Keep it up and let us know if there's anything we can do to help cross promote!
  • asiansteevasiansteev Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    hmxhenry;4221444 said:
    Awesome to see all this info in one place! I discovered a ton of bands through the first Deep Elm Emo Diaries comps in high school and it's great to see them involved with RBN. Keep it up and let us know if there's anything we can do to help cross promote!

Same here. Emo Diaries and Appleseed Cast got me into Deep Elm Records, Deep Elm Records got me into Planes Mistaken for Stars, 500 Miles to Memphis, The Lions Rampant, Latterman...
  • ASPRonASPRon Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Very awesome !!!
  • ThatAuthoringGroupThatAuthoringGroup Numero Uno Super **** Fanboy #1
    edited December 2010
    Awesome news Steve.

And might I say you have an UNCANNY resemblance(if that is you in your avatar) to the lead singer in my Rock Band 'band'.

Wow...the similarity is spooky!
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4221513 said:
    Awesome news Steve.

And might I say you have an UNCANNY resemblance(if that is you in your avatar) to the lead singer in my Rock Band 'band'.

Wow...the similarity is spooky!

that's pretty funny considering the singer in my band, which is supposed to look like me, still sports the mohawk i was wearing when rb1 came out and i created my first band :)
    edited December 2010
    I'll post a video I'm uploading for one of our songs later today so you can check it out.

I just made him up out of the blue...are you a figment of my imagination?

Is this like some Stephen King novel come to life? :p
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4221522 said:
    I just made him up out of the blue...are you a figment of my imagination?
    my girlfriend says that i'm a dream come true.
    except i just made up the part about having a girlfriend.
    which means none of us exist. o_O
  • b70x7nb70x7n Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Man, could you please try to get Fire Divine's "It's All a Blur" EP released through the RBN? Always been one of my favorites.
    edited December 2010
    b70x7n;4221624 said:
    Man, could you please try to get Fire Divine's "It's All a Blur" EP released through the RBN? Always been one of my favorites.

that's a good one. i'll see if the label and band are up for it!
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    ThatAuthoringGroup;4221655 said:
    Here's your RB doppleganger steev ;)

oh no! he has an emover!
    oh no! I have an emover!!!
  • b70x7nb70x7n Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    asiansteev;4221631 said:
    that's a good one. i'll see if the label and band are up for it!

Awesome, thanks!
  • RockoxRockox Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    "All My Friends Are Crazy" sounds super awesome.
  • k-mack-mac Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Any more 500 Miles to Memphis tracks in production? I absolutely love "All My Friends Are Crazy". Keep up the great work Steve!
    edited December 2010
    i really really hope to do more. sadly they lost their masters for the album that "all my friends..." was from. the song darlin' has an amazing call-and-response duet that would have been amazing for RB3 harmonies.
    if you haven't yet, check out their new album, we've built up to nothing. you can stream the whole thing at http://deepelm.com/525
    there are two tracks in particular that i'd LOVE to do. check out "let it go" (awesome keys) and "everybody needs an enemy" (EPIC 10-minute track). let me know which you would prefer for RBN. none of this is being worked on yet, but i'll see if i can't convince deep elm ;)
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Deep Elm. I've only dabbled into the label, but my hat goes off to you for pursuing songs from it. Such quality stuff.

Any Appleseed Cast - if that's even possible - would be appreciated. Immensely.
    However.

I would absolutely brit shicks if Moving Mountains was brought into Rock Band.
    Phe nom en al group.

Those unfamiliar... give yourself five minutes to sit back and listen (really listen) to Alastika from their album Pneuma. It isn't my favorite MM track - there are simply too many to choose from - but tell me that it wouldn't be an amazing match for the RBN. Progressive, beautiful, and likely a treat on all instruments if charted correctly. [All My Friends Are Crazy is one of my favorite guitar charts on the RBN, so I feel Movmou would be in good hands].

Someone needs to step up and make it [or any other MM track] happen... or the terrorists have won.
    edited December 2010
    i agree 110%... when i first contacted deep elm i asked for appleseed cast and 500 miles to memphis. the problem with the cast is that they were recorded on tapes... which means to get the masters, they'd have to pay a TON to get them transfered to digital sound files. they're one of my favorite bands, but it's unlikely that we'll see them soon. my hope (purely hope on my part, this isn't even speculation) is that someday they'll do a digital remaster of low level owl and we could get the masters then... except low level owl was so amazingly produced the first time around that i doubt they'd ever need to remaster it.

anyways... all i'll say at this point about moving mountains is that they've indeed been discussed and they're MUCH more likely than appleseed cast.
    have you heard athletics? if you like appleseed cast and moving mtns, you're going to LOVE athletics... album of the year for me. and let's just say that the xylophone part on "why aren't i home" would be rad on RB3 keyboard. ;)
    stream the new athletics album here -> http://www.deepelm.com/520/
  • ExayleExayle Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    That's a genuine bummer, regarding Appleseed. But things of this nature happen from time to time... so it is what it is. Fingers crossed for something by them, down the road.

Glad to hear MM has been brought up. Whether or not anything comes from it is another thing entirely... but I'm solely grateful that someone has at least taken the initiative of a request.

I've never heard of Athletics, but if it's for fans of AC and MM, I'll gladly sign up. Cheers for the link and info.
  • AngelWiings360AngelWiings360 Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    Exayle;4232288 said:
    Deep Elm. I've only dabbled into the label, but my hat goes off to you for pursuing songs from it. Such quality stuff.

I would absolutely brit shicks if Moving Mountains was brought into Rock Band.
    Phe nom en al group.

Those unfamiliar... give yourself five minutes to sit back and listen (really listen) to Alastika from their album Pneuma. It isn't my favorite MM track - there are simply too many to choose from - but tell me that it wouldn't be an amazing match for the RBN. Progressive, beautiful, and likely a treat on all instruments if charted correctly. [All My Friends Are Crazy is one of my favorite guitar charts on the RBN, so I feel Movmou would be in good hands].

Someone needs to step up and make it [or any other MM track] happen... or the terrorists have won.

OH MY, YES... I have never agreed with an artist suggestion on this forum more than in this post. Really any Moving Mountains would cause me to die of excitement...
    edited January 2011
    Hey guys! The newest Deep Elm track, She Bears - What Morning Brings, went up last month and it just got it's own link on rockband.com
    Here's the little author commentary I put up on the initial post.

Awesome indie-rock track, reminiscent of early Weezer. The track is pretty synth-heavy and as I was authoring it, details about RBN2 started trickling out. I could have potentially held it back to add a keys track, but I'd already authored the guitar part that goes jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk1Zsy9LdBM#t=0m40s), and removing the keyboard wah-wahs made the guitar part just jud-juds... and it just wasn't as fun. I have plenty of keys-heavy songs in the pipeline, so I went with having an extra-fun guitar part this time around. And it is. Very fun guitar part.

Check it out! Thanks!!
  • OscarvariumOscarvarium Rising Star
    edited January 2011
    asiansteev;4249365 said:
    jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud jud-jud-jud-jud-jud wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah-wah
    :cool:
    edited January 2011
    New song went live today!! Everyone check it out, I think it might be my favorite song. Below is the summary that I added to the first post on this thread.
    Thanks so much guys!!

Ride Your Bike - Coat Rack (1/19/11)
    Really really catchy heart-on-sleeve emo/indie-pop. This song is super catchy. You'll be singing it after you turn your Xbox off. Be careful though, this vocal track spans like 30 octaves. Also, I want to say "catchy" one more time. Catchy.
    Since the beginning of RBN my venues and band animations have gotten incrementally better. With this track, I feel like I've graduated to a new level. When those sing-alongs happen and the bassist leans in to share the mic with the singer, or the guitarist steps on the amp and sings at the camera (see the youtube video at the 3:20 mark). oh man that gives me chills.
    The Connection at DeepElm.com
    Chart Video
    edited February 2011
    Deep Elm Records is currently giving away the RBN track Ride Your Bike - Coat Rack to ten lucky participants.
    Go sign up! Here's a link: http://deepelm.com/contests
  • cleverestcleverest Unsigned
    edited May 2011
    PLEASE come out with anything by Appleseed Cast or Brandtson (before HELLO, CONTROL) for Rock Band....I know I and many others would gobble that up for sure!