atreyu

Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
edited July 2007 in History of Rock
is this pissing anybody else off?

ever since The Curse the band was like "holy ****, brandon can sing". after hearing their last album, and the new single, they sound like they're heading for pop-punk. hell, they even have alex doing some clean vocals now. watch the video for ex's and oh's, the entire goddamn song has alex swinging the microphone around doing nothing while brandon is singing. i don't want them to end up getting rid of alex and having brandon sing full time, that would be the biggest mistake. in my opinion, The Curse was the perfect mix of singing+screaming, and they need to head back in that direction.

opinions?

Comments

• newwaytodienewwaytodie Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    Is Brandon the drummer? he's always sung... Alex is a sh*tty singer.
  • Rev0lverRev0lver Road Warrior
    edited July 2007
    yeah, brandon's the drummer. but my point is that he's just been taking over alex's vocals, and soon enough you won't hear a single scream in an atreyu song.

edit: btw just to make it clear, i think brandon is an amazing singer, better than most that aren't playing drums at the same time, i just think they should keep it like how it was on songs like The Crimson and Right Side Of The Bed
    edited July 2007
    I hear both sides of the argument (on a broader level) about singing and screaming in the same song. Sometimes it just doesnt fit...

I've heard people say "Oh I'd really like them if they didn't have those *** ass singing parts"

And I've also heard people say "I don't like all that screamy stuff" (mostly girls)

I don't know... I find the best balance to be in old school Poison The Well.
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    well the only album that i own is "a deathgrip on yesterday" and i liked it pretty good. gotta check out some of their other stuff.

tho i will say that the song "the theft" is completely painful to listen to.
    edited July 2007
    Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses was pretty good... kinda got me into metalcore. The Curse made them more popular... Deathgrip was a monstrosity.
  • fragpiratefragpirate Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    newwaytodie;23394 said:
    Suicide Notes And Butterfly Kisses was pretty good... kinda got me into metalcore. The Curse made them more popular... Deathgrip was a monstrosity.
    really? i gotta check out their other stuff cuz i digged deathgrip pretty good.
  • Amy329Amy329 Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    I love atreyu..their latest cd sucked though
  • KutsicKutsic Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    Actually, Alex is the one singing the majority of the songs now, as in, actual clean singing. Brandon still sticks to just the chorus. The Curse will probably end up being their last good cd just judging from the lack of originality or character in A Deathgrip on Yesterday and the direction the new cd looks to be taking (it has the lead singer of Buck"heyweare reallyreallyuntalented"Cherry on one song...seriously, what the hell).

The whole Southern California metalcore scene has gone straight to hell, I mean, look at the 4 bands that really lead the whole group: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Eighteen Visions, and Bleeding Through...yea...doesn't look too hopeful eh?

Who knows tho, maybe Atreyu'll surprise us all.
    edited July 2007
    nah, bleeding through is still good, in my opinion at least.
  • xenopherusxenopherus Opening Act
    edited July 2007
    The only album I have is The Curse. Whoever the guy is that does the screamy, growly stuff sounds like he's doing Jack Black's "inward singing" in a lot of songs.
  • tmanrockstmanrocks Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Brandons singing is FANFRIKKINTASTIC!

Screaming through 90% of a song does not make it better , they are evolving into a BETTER band by minimizing the screaming

The theft and becoming the bull have like... no screaming and those songs are great

I presume the entire lead sails paper anchor album will have minimal screaming in it

Which is good imo , I mean ... I like atreyu even when they do scream but I find it easier to like a song that doesn't scream

Screaming = does not make you a better band
    edited July 2007
    Never said it made the band better, but neither does singing. One vocal technique isn't better than another. I disliked Atreyu's last cd because it sounded like a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make it on to their other cds. That being said, I think the best songs on A Deathgrip on Yesterday were The Untitled Finale and Ex's and Oh's(I personally love the way Alex sounds when he sings on that song), and I don't think Becoming the Bull is a bad song at all, I just don't like their overall new style. It has nothing to do with screaming in anyway, I just don't think it sounds as good.
    edited July 2007
    again, im not dissing brandon and i think his singing is amazing, i just think they're heading in the wrong direction into the mainstream pop-punk scene.
  • tmanrockstmanrocks Rising Star
    edited July 2007
    Rev0lver;24011 said:
    again, im not dissing brandon and i think his singing is amazing, i just think they're heading in the wrong direction into the mainstream pop-punk scene.
    what the bloody f*** you keep saying pop punk for though?

If anything they would be heading towards POP-METAL lol , they still use metal instrumental parts... becoming the bull has a solo and all that stuff
    edited July 2007
    lol, bloody ****, sorry that was an interesting phrase
  • Weebs43Weebs43 Unsigned
    edited July 2007
    Atreyu was one of the first heavier bands I started to listen to, and in my opinion I think The Curse really was a great ballence of the whole being heavy and melodic. Deathgrip is just way to happy sounding for them and to me the instrumentals are a lot more appealing in The Curse.
    edited July 2007
    Oh my crap, the new eighteen visions cd is pure pop.
    edited July 2007
    It's funny tho, I actually really like 18V's last cd...not as much as Obsession, but it actually had some pretty rockin songs on it.

And as for some good news in the Atreyu world, go hunt down the other released song off of their new cd. It's the demo version of a track called "Can't Happen Here" and it's pretty sick.