MIDI PRO Device Compatibility Thread

Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Opening Act
Hey guys-

Thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where people can post what devices actually work with the Mad Catz MIDI Pro Adapter. There has been a lot of confusion over what works and what doesn't, especially for drums. While it's true that any kits with assignable MIDI-out should work, some kits (like my own, it seems) don't let you alter the stock outputs.

Confirmed to work:

E DRUMS-
Roland HD-1
Yamaha DT Explorer
Yamaha DD 65
Alesis DM5
Session Pro DD506
Simmons SD5K
Yamaha DTX550K
Yamaha DTX900K

KEYBOARDS-
Akai MPK-2
Behringer UMA-25
Behringer UMX-2
CME Key 4
M-Audio Axiom 2
Korg M1

Would be nice if everyone shared their experiences getting the adapter to work.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Every drum kit marked to have MIDI mapping on this chart can be considered "confirmed to work"

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1165/picture3f.png
  • IAmorphisIAmorphis Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    MrFreshness007;4233643 said:
    Add the Yamaha DTX900K drum set to the list.

Pad and Cymbal triggering working flawlessly out of the box. However I do have an issue with the hi-hat implementation, and this could be a problem with the DTX900 brain more than anything.

Unfortunately any closing of the hi hat causes the Midi pro adapter to issue a yellow note hit (can't remember what the midi note equivalent is my kit uses.) I've tried setting the hi hat close articulation to a completely different midi note (or none at all) and it still continues to issue the yellow pad hit. Only option I've settled on is to close the hi hat operation to not allow closing at all. Not a happy solution but it does work.
    That's an awesome kit. I have a DTX550K myself; wifey vetoed the dtx900 because of my acoustic splurges this year.

Anyhow, I think our kits use the same hihat - RHH135. I had the same issue you are having but I found a workaround. The hihat comes with a round felt piece that is supposed to be removed from where the hihat lift is attached to the stand. On a whim I put the felt piece between the stand and lifter and my yellow hits went away. Granted, this is only a temporary workaround until I can figure out how to fix it via the drum module.
  • Chuck_NorrisChuck_Norris Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    Bit strange that the HD-1 works then, no? :S
  • edited December 2010
    Chuck_Norris;4236593 said:
    Bit strange that the HD-1 works then, no? :S

Not at all.

Many drums that don't have MIDI mapping will work, but they need to be checked for native note or voice/note settings.

All drums with a MIDI out and MIDI mapping will work. That chart contains drums confirmed to have mapping, not a list of what works with the MIDI Pro.
  • forzenbrforzenbr Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    It works to Alesis Usb Pro Kit NOTE: this kit comes with this module (http://www.alesis.com/triggerio) and has usb and midi ports.

Thanks
  • emefferemeffer Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    You can add the Simmons SD7PK drum set to the list.
  • BURNING13BURNING13 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    any ideas if the 2box drumit five electronic drums will work? they are awesome and they are what i am planning to buy really really soon
    (was goin to buy roland td9 but these seem way better)
  • emefferemeffer Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    BURNING13;4331655 said:
    any ideas if the 2box drumit five electronic drums will work? they are awesome and they are what i am planning to buy really really soon
    (was goin to buy roland td9 but these seem way better)

Page 27 of the users manual shows the default midi mapping of the drums and also seems to say that you can remap the notes. I didn't check if the default settings are correct, but as long as you can remap them, you are good anyway.

users manual:
    http://www.2box.se/Downloads/DrumIt-User-Manual.pdf
  • TalkieToasterTalkieToaster Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Probably obscure, you might be able to get one cheap like I did, but the Ringway/Bentley TD-90 (might be under other brands too) works perfectly, no problems with the hihat, works open or closed, and doesn't activate on a pedal press.
  • DeinBaerDeinBaer Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    Worked fine. Great fun. I tested pro keys mode only on xbox.
  • DeinBaerDeinBaer Opening Act
    edited March 2011
    The Mustang works as MIDI guitar too.

Why bother? Some folks for example connect a Mustang for xbox via the MadCatz RB3 MIDI adapter to a Wii. Quite cheaper than buying a Mustang for Wii too.
  • BURNING13BURNING13 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    emeffer;4332637 said:
    Page 27 of the users manual shows the default midi mapping of the drums and also seems to say that you can remap the notes. I didn't check if the default settings are correct, but as long as you can remap them, you are good anyway.

users manual:
    http://www.2box.se/Downloads/DrumIt-User-Manual.pdf
    thanx mate .good to know
  • flyingscubakevflyingscubakev Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    You can add the following Drum Controller to the Works list. I will update this to find the exact name, but is called the "ROADIE Rock Box Digital Drum Module". I purchased it as a kit from Siglermusic (http://www.siglermusiconline.com/store/pc/Roadie-Pro-Upgrade-Kit-PLUS-VTI-Trigger-Interface-Box-and-DP-500-pedal-98p3171.htm). This kit came with an extra cymbal to be used for Highhat, a double bass pedal and pad and the red box that connects the pedal with the ION XBOX360 module and the midi drum module. I've been using this system with the basic ION xbox360 controller, and I noticed that I would get xtalk/missed notes, etc - didn't know why and tried a couple fixes found on other threads - which didn't seem to do much.
    This past weekend I finally got my order of the midi controllers that I had on order at amazon.ca (Canada), Hooked up with the drum module and threw the ION controller in the corner. This new setup with that relactively inexpensive drum module and the Madcatz midi controller are fantastic, no missed notes, xtalk, or what ever was causing the problem. (other than human error now)

Now if I could only get the Squier guitar!!
  • SoCalDougSoCalDoug Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I got bored this morning and banged out some code (yes, i'm an embedded software/hardware engineer). Not having a properly functioning hat was driving me a bit nutz. I'm currently using an xbox and a DTXplorer with a 2nd crash in the option port.

Having an extra laptop, I placed it next to the xbox and plugged in an el-cheapo USB to midi port gizmo. Now the laptop has midi in and out. Next I plugged the Yamaha kit into the "in" port and the pro adapter to the "out" port.

After a few quick code changes, and realizing that the pro adapter has a very high minimum velocity response value, I added a couple settings (sliders) to the code and it works FAN-FRIQQEN-TASTIC. I also dropped my calibration numbers by nearly 30ms (less lag) over the homebrew microcontroller and version 1 drum brain that we were using prior.

Yes, it's a pain having a laptop or PC in line with drums and xbox, but it works and its fast.

I'm hoping to find a couple beta testers under different OS versions. I'm on vista 64, so I havent run the code on 7 or XP but it should work fine. Kinda fun thinking of more options for the code for different styles of play. When a pad is hit, the velocity number flashes over the pad or cymbal. Little cheezy yet, but after some cleanup it should look much better.

Have a great day !
    SoCalDoug
  • WollaManWollaMan Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I have searched the internet, but with no luck, eeven in this thread :D

But is there any way i can get my hihat controller to work when playing a song? I have a yamaha dtxplorer and when I play in training mode (free drums) the hihat controller works, but it does'nt work when playing songs. Anything I need to do, or???
  • SoCalDougSoCalDoug Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    WollaMan;4335780 said:
    I have searched the internet, but with no luck, eeven in this thread :D

But is there any way i can get my hihat controller to work when playing a song? I have a yamaha dtxplorer and when I play in training mode (free drums) the hihat controller works, but it does'nt work when playing songs. Anything I need to do, or???

There are a zillion posts about this topic. You have three options: (1) Buy/Create/Hack and install some sort of widget between your kit and the midi adapter, (2) Buy a different (and much more expensive drum kit/brain that has configurable midi output, or (3) convince the manufacturer(s) to change their software.

You can read my prior post on this thread (I did it with a laptop or PC), and also search for "Midi Solutions" or "Midi Processor" within this and other forums.
  • zer0ledzer0led Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    I've got the ION drum rocker...made to work w/XBox, and it's been great. I recently picked up the Simmons SD9K, and I was curious...
    With it's extra tom and cymbal, has anyone found a config that favors the game?
    I'll be playing with the ION double-bass module to see if I can work something out too. As I get results, I'll post them up. All about short-cuts! :)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited March 2011
    Drums: Roland TD-9. The hi-hat can be programmed to send blue/yellow notes based on whether the pedal is up or down. The drums can also be reprogrammed to fully support lefty mode (very important to a lefty like me).

Keyboard: Yamaha PSS-680. I tried it for the lulz and to prove an '80s keyboard could still work as long as it sent the proper MIDI signals.
  • jimmyexplodesjimmyexplodes Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Keyboard: Yamaha NP-30 Digital Grand Piano Works!

I am, however, wondering if there's a way I can use this madcatz adapter to hook-up to my PC so Synthesia notices it? I normally play w/o my computer but this seems like fun (in addition to rb). I don't, however, think it's so fun to merit a different adapter (already spent a grand on rb stuff)... HELP!?
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited March 2011
    There's actually been some talk about this on the Synthesia forum recently, the developer is going to see if he's able to get the game to recognize input from the MIDI pro adapter. However, one big caveat about using the MPA with Synthesia is that the MPA will only pass through RB3's accepted note range of C3 through C5.
  • rleon329rleon329 Unsigned
    edited March 2011
    Has anyone tried using an akai MPK49? I have one but I'm not sure if I should buy the MPA or not...
  • materia101materia101 Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone have a Yamaha PSR 90? I'd find out myself, but Midi Pro Adapters are not yet available in Canada. (Side note: Any one know where I can find a topic about those?)
  • FujiSkunkFujiSkunk Headliner
    edited April 2011
    materia101;4377455 said:
    Does anyone have a Yamaha PSR 90? I'd find out myself, but Midi Pro Adapters are not yet available in Canada. (Side note: Any one know where I can find a topic about those?)

I don't have a PSR-90, but I've tried my PSS-680 which was released the year after the PSR-90 came out, and it worked flawlessly.

There's information scattered across the web for most of the keyboards released in the '80s. Google Is Your Friend!
  • ThrovolosThrovolos Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    You can add Yoki DD502 electronic drum set to the WORKS category.

Caveats:
    --Mine is 3-4 years old, so it doesn't have the new brain they sell now with DD502's. It may not work with the new brain.
    --Had to swap two of the cymbals (the blue and green, just had to unplug the wire and plug into different ones)
    --Sensitivity is the biggest problem. I had it turned down too far and none of the hits registered. I turned it all the way up and depending on your drum layout, hitting a cymbal too hard can cause false hits on nearby drums and/or cymbals (easiest to see in Free Drum mode). But one of my cymbals misses hits (again, watching in Free Drum mode). Finding the EXACT sensitivity that still registers the blue cymbal without triggering nearby drums was a pain. Have no issues with any of the other drums/cymbals.
  • ThrovolosThrovolos Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    materia101;4377455 said:

Can't you go to gameshark.com and have the Pro adapter shipped to Canada? Or are there compatibility issues?
  • jacky-3QCjacky-3QC Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Roland TD-6 (Drum) and CTK-496 (keyboard)
  • jacky-3QCjacky-3QC Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    you can buy from ebay like i did. canada, i receved it monday 26
  • materia101materia101 Unsigned
    edited April 2011
    Throvolos;4378658 said:
    Can't you go to gameshark.com and have the Pro adapter shipped to Canada? Or are there compatibility issues?

I would love to do that, but Mad Catz doesn't ship to Canada. I tried to buy something but all I got was US states.
  • raynebcraynebc Road Warrior
    edited May 2011
    Amazon.com has the adapter for all 3 consoles at or below list price. I understand they ship internationally.
  • CormacCormac Rising Star
    edited May 2011
    A friend of mine has the squire and subsequently also has the midi adapter for his 360. My question is would the mustang I have for my PS3 work with his midi adapter on his 360?