Predictions For The '10's

TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
edited August 2011 in History of Rock
Well, with 2010 coming to a close, what are your views for the coming decade? Of course, it won't be an easy call, but give an attempt. ;)

As I see it, I think the '10's will be the decade of indie and alt coming to the forefront. With indie artists becoming far more popular in this year (Mumford And Sons got the 2nd most plays on last.fm this year, The National's High Violet went to #2 and 3 in many countries, including Canada and the USA, for example) I think it may end up being a great decade for this scene. Of course, there will always be the typical pop radio darlings like Ke$ha and Jason Derulo coming and going, but with any luck we may see lesser known bands creeping into mainstream consciousness.

Pixel for your thoughts?

Comments

• GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2010
    It's really too soon to tell.
  • TheRollingBonesTheRollingBones Headliner
    edited December 2010
    Gowienczyk;4232819 said:
    It's really too soon to tell.

Make a wild guess. Have some fun with it.
  • Onslaught_feiOnslaught_fei Headliner
    edited December 2010
    The rebirth of arena rock will occur in the last half.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited December 2010
    Hopefully all those annoying 7 stringed Progressive Metal bands like Periphery and TesseracT die out.
  • afterstasisafterstasis Washed Up
    edited December 2010
    I can't speak for mainstream music, but in terms of the good stuff I predict more specific styles to emerge over the coming years (ala chillwave), followed by a backlash of vintage-gear worship bands of varying styles.

By 2019 your flavor of indie won't matter so much as the swag you're using.
  • exploderexploder Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    gangsta metal and pimpcore will emerge from da dark depths of da undaground
  • jacob42jacob42 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I believe that rap will take a more rock influenced direction, as evidenced by Kanye West's prog influenced album, B.O.B's multiple cross over singles, and (godawfully) Lil Wanye's rock album.
    Also, the 80s trend will end (c.2013) , and post-grunge will become less popular.
    Also, Indie Rock will become mainstream.

(Note: Do not quote me on this)

(Not that you would, anyways)
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    As a new wave of songwriters grows nostalgic for their youth in the early-mid oughties, there will be an upsurge of ukelele-plucking, warbling freak songsters blending Devendra Banhart hootling with chiptune bleeps and blurps in a horrific explosion of "mustn't wake the roomate" twee, approaching an almost Lovecraftian event horizon of pure, gooey saccharine preciousness. At the end of the decade, a backlash will occur - spearheaded by a vanguard of bands of such brutal simplicity that The Ramones would resemble Medeski, Martin and Wood in comparison.
  • Rocket2RussiaRocket2Russia Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    Harsh noise will become standard radio fare.
  • jawillroyjawillroy Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Rocket2Russia;4233488 said:
    Harsh noise will become standard radio fare.

I have a candidate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysUjYAi0WcQ
  • killer_roachkiller_roach Washed Up
    edited December 2010
    - The '10s will usher in a further weakening of the major records, with a prevalence not only of affordable, high-quality recording and production equipment working its way into the masses. After all, if you can't trust the big boys, why not strike out on your own?

- Also, the technology necessary to accurately reproduce vintage sounds and styles will become more and more available and affordable (that being said, many indie artists will prefer to use the vintage equipment for the sake of cred).

- This will probably be a decade that features more fusion genres than in any other decade, ushered in by an unparalleled ability to consume music from all over the world and across different time periods.

- The '10s will also see an expansion of various progressive and experimental music forms, with even more than a handful of major, mainstream artists trying their hand at them... even still, apart from the biggest names, they will, as they have in decades past, complain about being overlooked by the music-buying public.

- There will be a further effort to downplay the value of traditional albums, as major artists will shift to a more-frequent stream of EPs and singles, using LP releases pretty much solely to aggregate the smaller releases. This will be done in an effort to further their promotional efforts and keep their material fresher in the public eye and give fans a regular stream of new content to snap up on iTunes and the like.

- Many bands with devoted fanbases will ultimately bow to market realities and release more live albums, including possibly letting some of their fans select which shows get full album releases.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I predict the rise of the Anti-Christ and the beginning of 1000 years of darkness on Earth. I also predict that the surviving members of Blind Melon will form a super group with the former members of type-o negative, calling themselves "Survivorman".
    edited December 2010
    jacob42;4233109 said:
    Kanye West's prog influenced album,

You mean that King Crimson sample?

:/
    edited December 2010
    TheRollingBones;4234197 said:
    You mean that King Crimson sample?

:/

He obviously was either being facetious or misinformed, and I wouldn't call it prog-ROCK-influenced, but it wouldn't be far off to call it progressive hip-hop.
    edited December 2010
    Rocket2Russia;4234252 said:
    He obviously was either being facetious or misinformed, and I wouldn't call it prog-ROCK-influenced, but it wouldn't be far off to call it progressive hip-hop.

Ehhhh.... borderline.

I'm not sure prog-hop is a genre, really. Or not one I've heard of.
    edited December 2010
    Well, no **** it isn't. Until now. :p

In all honesty, I would never call it such, as I think adding "prog-" to the beginning of anything that is a step forward leads to tricky genres when it becomes the standard (as Kanye's new album almost definitely will). Same goes for "post-", since every subgenre under the sun has its latest champion being given the "GREAT HONOR" of the "post-" tag (see, most recently: James Blake's label of post-dubstep).
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    edited December 2010
    I predict in the later half of of the 2010's Witticus and the Juggernauts will have a decent amount of attention at a local bar. They will have a few amazing songs about Racist Babies and B Movie Plots. They will also be known for their live performances involving planes, cranes, trampolines and gyroscopes. Watch out for Witticus and the Juggernauts! They're songs will touch you in places your priest couldn't reach.
  • GowienczykGowienczyk Pooper of Parties
    edited December 2010
    Progressive hip-hop has existed for some time, actually. Just not in the way you think... I mean every avant-hop, some alternative hip-hop, etc. could be labeled as progressive hip-hop in one way or another.
  • Soror_YZBLSoror_YZBL Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    TheRollingBones;4234271 said:
    Ehhhh.... borderline.

I'm not sure prog-hop is a genre, really. Or not one I've heard of.

Well you shoulda, cold busta! Murder was the case! Murder was the case that they gave me! Beeotch.

Yes, the first prog-hop concept album, Murder Was the Case, courtesy of the d-o-double-g.
    edited December 2010
    Gowienczyk;4234320 said:
    Progressive hip-hop has existed for some time, actually. Just not in the way you think... I mean every avant-hop, some alternative hip-hop, etc. could be labeled as progressive hip-hop in one way or another.

Yeah, I guess. That's not really how I was thinking of it.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited December 2010
    What will Happen:

The further degedation of the American Rock Music scene will cause a breaking point. Major Labels will cross a point of no return with pre-packaged atrocities to the point where a paradigm shift will occur with music fans. Thus, by the end of the decade, America will be importing it's music from overseas (If I were to guess, most likely from places like Finland and Russia) which will bring forth a plethora of much needed fresh air that will be harnessed by American bands in the 2020's (In a similar manner to what the British Invasion did to American rock in the late 60's/early70's). The internet and the current way music listeners are will help facilitate this.
    edited December 2010
    Gowienczyk;4234320 said:

As far as hip-hop is concerned, it's on it's last legs as far as a marketing tour de force is concerned. Though I could see prog-hop or avant-hop gaining some steam as a result. Who knows, with Hip Hop's descent back to underground, their equivilent of Black Metal or Death Metal could occur.

(Since the last time a nitche genre got too over-inflated with mainstream elements for it's own good made it's rightful descend back to the underground, it was Metal right around the early 1990's when Black Metal and Death Metal hit their stride).
    edited December 2010
    darkwinterbeast8;4235833 said:
    The further degedation of the American Rock Music scene will cause a breaking point.

I gave up there. Shut the **** up and listen to something more than your local MIX channel if you legitimately believe the American music scene is inherently worse than it's been.
    darkwinterbeast8;4235837 said:
    As far as hip-hop is concerned, it's on it's last legs as far as a marketing tour de force is concerned. Though I could see prog-hop or avant-hop gaining some steam as a result. Who knows, with Hip Hop's descent back to underground, their equivilent of Black Metal or Death Metal could occur.

Or, it could stay in the mainstream with the new vitality Kanye and others have injected into it as of late and we could see another '90s-esque golden age of hip-hop, seeing as, you know, young people still eat the **** up like something that people eat a lot of.
    edited December 2010
    I've heard the new Roots album is supposed to be pretty good. It has a higher metascore than the Kanye album, even.
    edited December 2010
    Rocket2Russia;4236043 said:
    I gave up there. Shut the **** up and listen to something more than your local MIX channel if you legitimately believe the American music scene is inherently worse than it's been.
    Not saying the American music scene is the worst it's ever been. Just saying that it needs to be rejuvenated a bit (maybe more depending on how mainstream or underground it is). What I am trying to say is that Major Record Labels are going to have to put a lot more effort into making music on their labels worth buying. Either that or these labels will go bankrupt, especially if they continue with their Nickleback clone bands.
    Or, it could stay in the mainstream with the new vitality Kanye and others have injected into it as of late and we could see another '90s-esque golden age of hip-hop, seeing as, you know, young people still eat the **** up like something that people eat a lot of.
    Kanye West seems to me like this era's version of MC Hammer in that they're both slick showmen relying on image and glossy pop-hip hop. (Though in the case of Kanye, the lyrics are a bit more substantial than MC Hammer as well as his ability to get people to hate him for things he says that aren't in his songs). If Hip-Hop has a new golden age a la the 1990's it'll more likely be at the expense of Kanye West's career as newer rappers with something new to say will probably get the attention.
  • Mystlyfe77Mystlyfe77 Big Fan
    edited December 2010
    Blackened _____ will continue to rise. In particular blackened sludge.
  • MrFruitLordMrFruitLord Headliner
    edited December 2010
    I'm pretty stoked for Blackened Chillwave, myself.
    edited December 2010
    Mystlyfe77;4236819 said:
    Blackened _____ will continue to rise. In particular blackened sludge.

Looking forward to Blackened Barbershop myself
  • cherokeesamcherokeesam Washed Up
    edited December 2010
    I predict the 10s, in general, are going to be a wet dream for fascists and unfettered-greed capitalists.

The History of Rock and Roll era runs in cycles: right-wing decade, left-wing decade, middle-of-the-road. 50s: right-wing. 60s: left-wing. 70s: middle of the road mixmash. 80s: right-wing. 90s: left-wing. 00s: middle of the road mixmash. Ergo: 10s will be a right-wing decade.

So I'm expecting for 2011-2019 --- Christian Rock dominates, along with god-guns-n-glory Country/Country Rock. Hip-hop and metal fans are quietly "disposed of" in FEMA internment camps in North Dakota. Sarah Palin rules America with an iron fist and a .30-06 hunting rifle for two terms from 2012-2020. Big Sister makes Orwell look like an optimist. Canada would be the best option for anyone who traditionally votes Democrat.