Why do you play RB? Scoring or Band Simulation/Touring?

mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
edited January 2011 in Rock Band
There are people who feel that the band creation and touring aspects of Rock Band have been severely weakened in RB3. Some of us could care less, those things not being any part of why we play. What's more important to you? Playing charts (basic or pro) for high scores and increasing your playing skills, or creating, modifying and watching your band play and/or working through a simulated tour?

Please take a moment to vote. Thanks!

EDIT: Some of the written responses indicate that there are people who don't care about either achieving the highest score possible or about creating a band and watching it play, and or playing a touring mode of some kind. These people just play for fun and to listen to the music. Well, I think that we all play for fun and we all play to listen to the music, it's just that what some of us consider to be fun is different from what others do..

So please, if you don't play to post the highest scores that you can manage or to create a band and/or play a tour simulation, vote the middle choice, indicating that you like and care about both activities equally, which in your case is not at all :D.

Comments

• TheHundredDollarHeadacheTheHundredDollarHeadache Pedantic Broken Record
    edited December 2010
    I play to watch the characters playing the music I like. Locking some clothes behind sadistic Pro goals made me really unhappy.

Score also matters, as long as it's on a song I like, and it's a song I know I can master.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    The reason I got into Rock Band in the first place was for the simulation of being in, well, a rock band. I also like to improve skill wise, but I also concider that to be a part of the simulation. Character customization always seemed like a logical progression of the simulation. At least it was before. Not to put anybody down, but it seems that anybody who plays this type of game MUST also play because they enjoy music.
  • Rich T.Rich T. Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    I love creating my own band and playing as those characters. Love the RB3 character creator. The scores and leaderboards aren't as important to me as the pure fun of interacting with great music, but they do add a level of motivation. I'll admit I'm disappointed when my game--for whatever reason--occasionally can't connect and I can't see my ranking when I finish a song. I keep playing, though. :)
  • JimbeolousJimbeolous Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I play it for fun, and don't really care about the leaderboards..
  • mikeytsmikeyts Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    HairyMan;4235357 said:
    I play it because I like listening to music, and have fun with the game aspect of it. I don't care about scoring or about the band aspect, so I have not responded to the poll.
    metalplease;4235353 said:
    I don't care about simulation or that customization crap. I play it to have fun and I enjoy the music too, so I guess I play for fun (which currently is not on the poll)
    jeronemitchell;4235378 said:
    Gotta co-sign, as someone that also plays it because of an enjoyment of the music more than gaining points or simming a band.

We really need that option in your poll.
    I've amended the top post to suggest that people who don't care about either aspect and play for yet other reasons vote the middle response, stating that you enjoy and care about both aspects equally, which in your case is "not at all" :D.

I don't care how much time I spend contemplating and tweaking the list of responses for a poll, one or more people will complain that none of the responses pertains to them. I don't think that it's possible to come up with a set of response which covers everyone. I posted this poll because there are threads which crop up over and over again complaining that RB3 "takes the band out of Rock Band"; many of us have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about that stuff, because for us (or maybe just for me :D), "the game aspect" is playing the charts to achieve the best scores that we can--all the rest is irrelevant background decoration. Some like both aspects and obvious some don't care about either. I wanted to get a rough measure of how participants in this forum come down on the issue.

I also play because I enjoy the music, and playing the charts to see whether I can improve my scores while listening to that music is very relaxing.
  • Herr_BassHerr_Bass Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    I play for the music and the fun of 'playing' along to it.
    edited December 2010
    HairyMan;4235357 said:
    I play it because I like listening to music, and have fun with the game aspect of it. I don't care about scoring or about the band aspect, so I have not responded to the poll.
    metalplease;4235353 said:
    I don't care about simulation or that customization crap. I play it to have fun and I enjoy the music too, so I guess I play for fun (which currently is not on the poll)
    jeronemitchell;4235378 said:
    Gotta co-sign, as someone that also plays it because of an enjoyment of the music more than gaining points or simming a band.

We really need that option in your poll.
    I've amended the top post to suggest that people who don't care about either aspect and play for yet other reasons vote the middle response, stating that you enjoy and care about both aspects equally, which in your case is "not at all" :D.

I don't care how much time I spend contemplating and tweaking the list of responses for a poll, one or more people will complain that none of the responses pertains to them. I don't think that it's possible to come up with a set of response which covers everyone. I posted this poll because there are threads which crop up over and over again complaining that RB3 "takes the band out of Rock Band"; many of us have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about that stuff, because for us (or maybe just for me :D), "the game aspect" is playing the charts to achieve the best scores that we can--all the rest is irrelevant background decoration. Some like both aspects and obvious some don't care about either. I wanted to get a rough measure of how participants in this forum come down on the issue. (It's interesting to see that at this writing it's coming up pretty much equal. I was expecting it to be skewed one way or the other).

I also play because I enjoy the music, and playing the charts to see whether I can improve my scores while listening to that music is very relaxing.
  • Pearl WhitePearl White Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    Im for band simulator and immersion. I like the idea of starting off small band and giging around the place to play venues. I also like the idea of picking a venue, even getting to customise the venue to suit your bands theme, style of music you see them playing, the picking of your songs, as many as you like at any venue, or even a random setlist of as many songs as you like. Playing, performing, immersing, having fun at being in a virtual hard rockin' band.

Scores, stats are not important, Stars are all you really need to judge how your performance was.

:)
  • NekketsuNekketsu Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I play it for fun and the immersiveness of playing and touring as a virtual band. As for scores, as long as I hit 5/gold stars I'm happy and never really cared about optimal overdrive pathing and the like.
  • Pitch-BlackPitch-Black Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    mikeyts;4235571 said:
    many of us have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about that stuff, because for us (or maybe just for me :D), "the game aspect" is playing the charts to achieve the best scores that we can--all the rest is irrelevant background decoration.
    And in return I don't understand how it is that you don't understand. I often see responses to posts by people like myself who feel immersion is lacking in RB 3 demeaning and trivializing our opinions by saying it has to do with clothing or decoration (this is not meant as a personal attack, btw). It's about the simulation, and clothes and the like are only a tiny part of that. I've read responses in previous topics where people have said Rock Band was never a band rpg. Sorry, but that is exactly what the idea was. Is that the only way they could or should be played? Hells no. That's up to the individual. The previous 2 were simulations of what bands do, which is more than just play songs. That was, and should be, the core element; but in 1and 2 it wasn't the only element. But in 3 I would agree with you, the "band aspect" is trivial. The simulation aspect is merely cosmetic. That doesn't make some of us very happy. Why is that hard to understand? What if they had dropped scoring or (God forbid!) Quickplay instead? What I think HMX should see (and I think your poll accurately brings this out, so thank you) is that they left a decent chunk of their fans in the cold with RB 3. Hopefully that makes for a RB 4 that is awesome for everybody.
  • McBrightsideMcBrightside Unsigned
    edited December 2010
    I lead a pretty busy lifestyle. I enjoy Rock band because I can pick it up for 20-30 minutes at a time without worrying about losing my touch or skill. It's a fun game!

I think the mostly even scores in this poll are a testimony to how well Harmonics can design games. They've found that magic spot where their game has something to offer everyone.
  • esquehillesquehill Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    I play mostly online (family's not addicted, like me.) and, I play the songs I like to hear, even if I'm not able to get the highest scores; it's about the listen-ability for me. (which means that I'm not really ready to to play visions or jerry-was-a-race-car-driver ever again.) If we could get the flashing backgrounds toned down, and the usb-death problem fixed, that would be great... but, on wii, I expect we're stuck with these flaws/bugs forever... which is very disappointing... I have trouble getting through the 8-songs-in-a-row goals; I've had to restart up to 4 times; getting usb death time after time.
  • Bigjoe5Bigjoe5 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I play to increase my musical ability with Rock Band Pro.
  • MisterFurious67MisterFurious67 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I play with groups of friends for the simulated band experience while enjoying the music. Scores and skill level are far secondary for us, although most play on hard/expert. RB3 pretty much took a dump on our gaming experience. HMX needed to add to the band, simulation & gaming features in RB2, not rip them out.

Dimes to dollars says the OP thought this poll would be skewed towards score-lovers only. That's not the case, no matter how much you don't get why we enjoy playing RockBand. I hope HMX gets it before they release RB4.
  • Tykki-TemeTykki-Teme Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    I don't play to get good scores or to simulate being in a band. I play rock band for the fun of it, and from RB3 onwards, to teach myself a little something about playing music.
  • V4VendettaV4Vendetta Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    A fun way to enjoy music. By pretending to play it.
  • kingtonyxkingtonyx Unofficial
    edited December 2010
    Both equally

I liked to tour while at the same time getting top scores
  • tmcd35tmcd35 Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    With RB1 and RB2 it was all about the Drum Controller and, for me, Drum battles with my brother - after he'd gone through the tour unlocking the songs.

I got RB3 because I need something to kick start my guitar playing.

I don't play for high scores or for the touring simulation. I play firstly because I really enjoy the music and secondly, eventually, to learn the guitar.

I'm currently playing the 5-button standard guitar. I've got my own set lists of about 90 songs from the three games and DLC sorted by difficulty. I've completed them at 95%+ on Easy and Medium. I'm now stuck at the begining of Hard trying to get 95% on 'Losing My Religion', 'In Bloom', and 'Here It Goes Again'.

Once I've gone through the setlists on Expert at 95% I'll be ready for the Pro Guitar...
    edited December 2010
    MisterFurious67;4236373 said:
    Dimes to dollars says the OP thought this poll would be skewed towards score-lovers only. That's not the case, no matter how much you don't get why we enjoy playing RockBand. I hope HMX gets it before they release RB4.
    It's true, I did expect it to skew significantly towards the score fiends; I live and learn :). 59 voters (at this writing) isn't much of a sample, but my experience with these forum polls is that, though they may waver a bit from one direction to the other over time, the basic gist becomes clear at a certain point and doesn't change. It seems that at least as many people care more about band simulation and touring as care more about scoring (and quite a few people care about them equally, or don't care about either aspect at all).

And no, I don't understand it, but then I've never understood why "The Sims" is popular. Neither is a "game" in my book. They're just activities, which some people inexplicably enjoy :). For me, a game has to have at least some sort of goal and preferably some objective criteria by which you can judge whether you're playing it well. I suppose that the RB2 tour qualifies (its score being money and fans), but after you're done with that, if you you're not into scoring it just seems pointless, except maybe as a party game.

I have enjoyed some western RPGs, like Fable and Oblivion and highly story-driven action-adventure titles, like the Assassin's Creed and Uncharted games. The RPGs have deep stories, clearly defined goals, many major and minor named characters with which to interact, lots of decisions to make which affect your progress and the possibility of setbacks and failure. It's possible that I might enjoy playing a real career-of-a-rock-band RPG, but that's not what these games are.

As I've hinted in other threads, I don't expect to see a "Rock Band 4", because I can't think of what they could do to make it sell well enough to turn a profit. It would need to be something more than RB3 with a fresh setlist and some new and improved band/tour simulation features. It'd need something to put some fresh spin on it, like keys, harmonies and pro guitar/bass do for RB3, which is cool and exciting and capable of catching the attention even of people who aren't interesting in learning to play a real instrument. I'm guessing that each of these games has sold fewer copies than the previous one and after 6 RB titles (and about 50 GH ones :rolleyes:), the genre is as played out as the gaming press has been claiming. If you want to keep a company going, you have to earn a profit, and according to Viacom, HMX has not turned a profit since RB1 (whose sales impressed them enough for Viacom to award the company a large performance bonus that they tried to get part of back this past year due to subsequent flat performance). IMO, there's little chance that a "Rock Band 4" title would help.
    edited December 2010
    I think RB4 is inevitable. It's a question of when rather than if. If HMX are sensible they'd hold off until after the next gen of consoles have it. Now that they are independent again I think they can make money out of these games so long as they concentrate on advertising and quality DLC.

I think right now what HMX really needs to do is diversify their DLC and release two or three DVD track packs a year to tide us over to the next release. They need to think along the lines of 'Rock Band: 80's Track Pack', 'Rock Band: Disco Track Pack', R'n'B, etc, etc.

I think that might attract more people into the fold and get them downloading content.
  • Chuck_FiascoChuck_Fiasco Road Warrior
    edited December 2010
    folkeye;4235318 said:
    If you follow my posts, obviously the band simulation/tour/ all around immersion factor. .

Yeah...EVERYBODY is following your posts.
    edited December 2010
    tmcd35;4237809 said:
    I think RB4 is inevitable.
    Don't just say that--say why you think so. Make a business case for it. What could they do in RB4 to make me, an owner of RB3, want to buy it? I know people who bought RB1 and play it from time to time who never bothered to buy RB2. I see posts now and then from outraged RB2 owners who have zero interest in RB3 but who do want to buy some of the cool post-release DLC and feel resentful that they'll have to buy RB3 to get those songs (and changing song formats isn't something that HMX is likely to get away with again). I myself wouldn't have have bought RB3 if I hadn't been interested in keys and pro guitar, and I own all of the previous games other than GDRB (which I will buy when it reaches the bottom of the bargain bin, to export its songs--if I bought a future RB4, if it didn't introduce something really interesting, I'd wait for it to hit-bottom-of-the-barrel prices :D).
  • JixzerJixzer Hillbilly Deluxe
    edited December 2010
    None of those. I play it because it's fun. Score/Stars are irrelevant.
    edited December 2010
    mikeyts;4237820 said:
    Don't just say that--say why you think so. Make a business case for it. What could they do in RB4 to make me, an owner of RB3, want to buy it? I know people who bought RB1 and play it from time to time who never bothered to buy RB2. I see posts now and then from outraged RB2 owners who have zero interest in RB3 but who do want to buy some of the cool post-release DLC and feel resentful that they'll have to buy RB3 to get those songs (and changing song formats isn't something that HMX is likely to get away with again). I myself wouldn't have have bought RB3 if I hadn't been interested in keys and pro guitar, and I own all of the previous games other than GDRB (which I will buy when it reaches the bottom of the bargain bin, to export its songs--if I bought a future RB4, if it didn't introduce something really interesting, I'd wait for it to hit-bottom-of-the-barrel prices :D).

You could have found fault in my HMX should diversify the DLC with Disco/Dance/RnB line rather than the RB4 is inevitable line. And I thought I had made a business case for a future RB4 - next gen console when they come in 3 or 4 years time.

Will HMX release a RB4 before then? I don't know, hope not as I can't think of a good business case for it and have highlighted other ways that I think would be better to expand the popularity of the franchise other than release a RB4 game.

That said 4 years is a long time - will RB4 come out before then? Do HMX have features/ideas they think are cool and would spur us to upgrade? Probably.
    edited December 2010
    I'd say there will definitely be a Rock Band 4 either next year or in 2012.
    edited December 2010
    tmcd35;4237840 said:
    You could have found fault in my HMX should diversify the DLC with Disco/Dance/RnB line rather than the RB4 is inevitable line. And I thought I had made a business case for a future RB4 - next gen console when they come in 3 or 4 years time.
    Sorry--I'd agree that a new console generation might spur another version.
    Will HMX release a RB4 before then? I don't know, hope not as I can't think of a good business case for it and have highlighted other ways that I think would be better to expand the popularity of the franchise other than release a RB4 game.
    Exactly. I think that we're much more likely to see something like "The Who Rock Band" than a whole new release.
    That said 4 years is a long time - will RB4 come out before then? Do HMX have features/ideas they think are cool and would spur us to upgrade? Probably.
    I'd say possibly, but I'd hesitate to say "probably". Nothing leaps to mind.
    kingtonyx;4237844 said:
    I'd say there will definitely be a Rock Band 4 either next year or in 2012.
    Okay, I'll ask you the same question--what's the business case for it? What can they add to RB4 in that short timeframe that would entice enough people to buy it that it would be profitable?
    edited December 2010
    What made people buy Rock Band 2 only 9 months after the first Rock Band?

More songs, new features, tweaks to current features, fine tuning, etc. A new mode or two.

Also I think it would benefit HMX to show that they are fully capable of putting out a great Rock Band title despite going independent.
  • Moo CowMoo Cow Rising Star
    edited December 2010
    None of the above.

I play because it's fun. I don't care about creating bands or scoring. I play because it's just fun to play.
  • jordan15bjordan15b Opening Act
    edited December 2010
    I like to listen to music. M though being in the top 200 players in the world on a plastic guitar is pretty cool too.

yey me
    edited December 2010
    kingtonyx;4237881 said:
    What made people buy Rock Band 2 only 9 months after the first Rock Band?
    Residual excitement over the first game (and according to Viacom they didn't make a profit on RB2). People wanted more of the same, especially given RB1's relatively small 55 song setlist. LRB, TBRB, GDRB, RB3, several band-oriented GH titles and 2100+ pieces of DLC later, that's no longer true.

IMO, without keys, harmonies, pro guitar/bass, cymbals and pro play modes, RB3 would have been a non-starter. (There's also the fact that RB2 owners are locked out of buying and playing the heap of highly attractive songs by superstar acts released since RB3 launch). Sure, some über-fans like us would have bought it for incremental improvement but that wouldn't have sold it to people who couldn't appreciate the differences because they don't play all the time. As it is, most of the band-sim/tour fans didn't consider it to be an improvement at all.

Unless they come up with some must-have new feature I just don't see it, particularly in a year from now. (Rock Band 3D, with player-photo character gen might gain some traction, but I know I'd skip it).